Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old wholesale cash & carry Lower New Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

linny wrote: »
    is there any truth in the rumour that Tesco is after buying this site or is it just load of bull
    http://www.dng.ie/commercial/brochure/3082240

Not heard anything but was wondering. Be perfect for them. Fairly extensive site.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

road_high wrote: »
    Not heard anything but was wondering. Be perfect for them. Fairly extensive site.

ya was taking the news with pinch off salt also, but it is a big site and in the centre of town would be ideal for Tesco, time will tell I suppose

ya was taking the news with pinch off salt also, but it is a big site and in the centre of town would be ideal for Tesco, time will tell I suppose

I think it was zoned residential but i might be wrong.
    Not bothered about tesco but I think Kilkenny is very poorly served in terms of supermarkets. There are large parts with nothing at all where 1000s of people are living like all the way from the Freshford road to the Callan road there are no supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I doubt it's true. That site is only 1.6 acres, far too small for a store and car park. Most of the tesco stores have huge car parks that offer free parking. They'd almost want an acre for that.
    I can't see them opening anywhere in kk giving their recent troubles and drop in profits.

1984baby wrote: »
    I doubt it's true. That site is only 1.6 acres, far too small for a store and car park. Most of the tesco stores have huge car parks that offer free parking. They'd almost want an acre for that.
    I can't see them opening anywhere in kk giving their recent troubles and drop in profits.

That's what I was thinking. There's been rumours of even store closures. Apparently a lot of their giant supermarkets are now White elephants as shopping habits in the UK and Ireland have changed. There's far less of the big huge weekly shopping goin on and people are doing smaller shops every few days and in different places, particularly to the discounters which have far less overheads, costs a fortune to run and stock these mega stores.
    They may seek something more modest for Kilkenny in light of this new reality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

I'd be fairly sure it wasnt Tesco. Too small for their needs. More likely bought by a developer for a housing development. There's a "Sale Agreed" sign up on it for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Tesco to be honest. They were all gung ho about the Brewery Site and because of site restrictions, that only would have been a Tesco Express. They easily could have changed their minds about the Brewery Site and opted to put a Tesco Express on a less controversial city centre site, particularly to be away from Dunnes.

There's a lot less big Tesco stores being built but there are a lot more Tesco Express stores still being opened, particularly in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

haven't heard anymore about it, but aint the Tesco in wexford build over the car park

haven't heard anymore about it, but aint the Tesco in wexford build over the car park

That was built in the old Pierces works which was a big old site.

Where did op hear the tesco rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can't see tesco being involved at all,

Not only is the site unsuitable unless they just do a Tesco express, but Tesco are actually scaling back right now. They have canceled well over 50 new proposed stores in the UK for example. Their business has been seriously affected in Ireland too by Aldi and Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Any updates or is there any work happening on site?

Advertisement