Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Rim vs Tri-spoke Wheels

Options
  • 16-05-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for some race wheels. To state from the start, I don't think I'd be comfortable with a disc wheel. I've ridden Zipp 606s for years. Is there anything I should know about tri-spoke wheels, so I could rule them in or out? Have many people ridden both? And what's your experience with them? Or does anybody know of any good articles I could read before I make a purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A disc is always faster.
    You aren't that light. A disc would not be an issue to ride. If I can ride one you can!

Trispokes- certainly on the front are dependent on then width of the forks, and the air flow between the wheel and the forks - they can be slower or faster than a deep section spoked wheel depending. Same on the back.

I also have 606s. I think the 404 front is FAR too shallow to race on, and the 808 rear is not a disc. (I also have a disc though :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I have ridden 4 spoke rear and front wheels (Xentis) but now ride a disc as when i went looking at the time the majority of what i found indicated a disc to always be fastest (aside from hill climbs which are probably not relevant to you)

I have never ever had a problem with a disc on a windy day, its fixed in its position to the bike and cant move like the front wheel, my wife (55kg) has even used it b4 on windy days no issues at all

the 4 spoke on the front on a windy day was just a pain and some days i wished it was just a training wheel, i assume a 3 spoke would be easier to handle.

i also thought there was something on slowtwitch about the HED 3 spoke being quick but really only at high speeds and slower than equivalent deep section wheels at lower speeds (less than 40kph i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies.

I probably should have said this from the outset, basically my front Zipp Wheel is fncked. That's the one I haveto replace, originally a front wheel was all I was looking for. But there seems to better deals if buying two wheels. I've a budget of about €1,000. I expect I'll be paying €500 for a new wetsuit soon enough, do I don't want to go too far above this.

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to bicycle specifications. I've been searching online for my bike, but I'm not sure if the bikes I'm looking at are my exact model. It's a Kestrel Talon and I bought it in 2006. Sorry I can't be any more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies.

I probably should have said this from the outset, basically my front Zipp Wheel is fncked. That's the one I haveto replace, originally a front wheel was all I was looking for. But there seems to better deals if buying two wheels. I've a budget of about €1,000. I expect I'll be paying €500 for a new wetsuit soon enough, do I don't want to go too far above this.

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to bicycle specifications. I've been searching online for my bike, but I'm not sure if the bikes I'm looking at are my exact model. It's a Kestrel Talon and I bought it in 2006. Sorry I can't be any more specific.

Okay, I'd not put a disc on the front :)

I'd also not put a tri-spoke on the front and a 808 on the rear because of the k-factor aspect. A tri-spoke and and 808 with a wheel cover - fine.

An 808 front is also a versatile wheel for tri.

*K-factor refers to the little known "Knob-factor" aspect of bikes. In that you'd look like a complete knob with a trispoke front and bladed rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭125m

Hey zico

I'm looking to replace the hub on my front zipp 404 24 spoke
    Would your wheel be suitable to donate it to my wheel
    Obviously will negotiate re a price

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

125m wrote: »
    Hey zico

I'm looking to replace the hub on my front zipp 404 24 spoke
    Would your wheel be suitable to donate it to my wheel
    Obviously will negotiate re a price

Thanks

I know a guy who thinks he might be able to get me a cheap crash replacement, so I'm going to hold onto it and see how that works out.

Advertisement