Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting absolutley nowhere....

Options
  • 17-05-2015 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I'm living in a town called Banagher in Co.Offaly and approx. 50/60 people (if not more) are considering cancelling their contracts with you because of the congestion on our lines.

We are sick of the 'amazing' Efibre that is suppose to come to our area for the last 2 years and keeps getting postponed.

Myself, and many others living in the town have been onto you to try and sort this issue out but are getting told every excuse under the sun. I have rang your customer support, tech support over 15 times in the last 2 months and keep getting pushed onto the next person in the department.

They have ran tests etc and I have had an engineer sent out and he laughed when I told him I was getting less than 1 MB where I am living.

We are paying money every month to you guys to provide a service but not getting what we should be.

I hope this gets resolved right away because otherwise, Eircom will lose many loyal customers.

Please investigate this as soon as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have the same problem, it's a known problem. I don't understand why they send an engineer to your door to tell you that it's a congestion problem and nothing to do with your line.
    What company would you move to? Eircom or Eircom wholesale broadband is all I have available to me. 

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

tuxy wrote: »
    I have the same problem, it's a known problem. I don't understand why they send an engineer to your door to tell you that it's a congestion problem and nothing to do with your line.
    What company would you move to? Eircom or Eircom wholesale broadband is all I have available to me. 
    Thanks for that tuxy!

We are all sick of the whole situation to be honest. I'm getting charged 50 euro a month for less than 1MB? Crazy! I rang once again on Saturday to ask about our bill because of the price we are being charged and I was told 'Hmmm.. well I tell you what, If you renew your contract with us for another year.. I can give you a 15 Euro discount for 6 months' ???

Back to your question lol!

Here where I am, there are many other companies including Sky, Vodafone but the lines are leased to them from Eircom so from what I can tell is that we would get the same issues.

A few people living in the town are with sky and they rang them up and were told to keep logging faults with eircom so as they might fix the problem!

We are still on the ****ty copper lines here and that goes for most rural towns in Ireland!

If this hasn't been resolved in the coming days - as mentioned above, 50/60 if not more people will be moving to another company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Unfortunately I don't see the point unless you move to a product that does not go over Eicom lines they are still making money and nothing will change.
    Do you know what speed your line synchronises at?
    My issues is only in the evenings. Is your connection any better at off peak times?
    If you do change to one of the resellers and notice an improvement be sure to let us know. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I'm living in a town called Banagher in Co.Offaly and approx. 50/60 people (if not more) are considering cancelling their contracts with you because of the congestion on our lines.

We are sick of the 'amazing' Efibre that is suppose to come to our area for the last 2 years and keeps getting postponed.

Myself, and many others living in the town have been onto you to try and sort this issue out but are getting told every excuse under the sun. I have rang your customer support, tech support over 15 times in the last 2 months and keep getting pushed onto the next person in the department.

They have ran tests etc and I have had an engineer sent out and he laughed when I told him I was getting less than 1 MB where I am living.

We are paying money every month to you guys to provide a service but not getting what we should be.

I hope this gets resolved right away because otherwise, Eircom will lose many loyal customers.

I'm sorry to hear of this Mightydrumming

Please feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll run tests to check for possible contributing issues.

Thanks
    Al

I have PM'd you the details once again. This has been done countless times but eircom fail to recognise congestion on our lines...

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I don't see the point unless you move to a product that does not go over Eicom lines they are still making money and nothing will change.
    My issues is only in the evenings. Is your connection any better at off peak times?
    If you do change to one of the resellers and notice an improvement be sure to let us know. 
    As far as I know, All the lines here are owned by Eircom so that means if I switch to Sky or Vodafone - I could get a crappier port than what I am getting now which is disgraceful!

The speed drops from 1MB to .5MB usually after 5PM here, ridiculous!!

As far as I know, All the lines here are owned by Eircom so that means if I switch to Sky or Vodafone - I could get a crappier port than what I am getting now which is disgraceful!

Thanks for your PM Mightydrumming

I am very sorry to confirm that as previously relayed by technical support the fastest speed eircom can offer your line is up to 1Mb.

Having looked in to this in further detail I am also sorry to have to confirm that congestion is indeed a feature in your area - however this is expected to be in place as your exchange is not next generation broadband enabled (NGB).

Unfortunately the more people online in your area the slower the download speeds will be. I understand that there are other posts to this thread where people have experienced congestion like symptoms however each case must be treated on a case by case basis and I am genuinely very sorry to confirm that at present eircom cannot offer you improved speeds or a resolution to the congestion your line is experiencing.

Thanks

Al

I am very sorry to confirm that as previously relayed by technical support the fastest speed eircom can offer your line is up to 1Mb.

Having looked in to this in further detail I am also sorry to have to confirm that congestion is indeed a feature in your area - however this is expected to be in place as your exchange is not next generation broadband enabled (NGB).

Unfortunately the more people online in your area the slower the download speeds will be. I understand that there are other posts to this thread where people have experienced congestion like symptoms however each case must be treated on a case by case basis and I am genuinely very sorry to confirm that at present eircom cannot offer you improved speeds or a resolution to the congestion your line is experiencing.

Thanks

Al
    Hi Alan, I appreciate that! Finally someone in Eircom has confirmed that the issue is due to the congestion on our lines.

I know it's not your fault but eircom can hardly expect us to keep paying 50+ euro a month when we are getting minumum speeds? I have rang the loyalty team multiple times and they are not willing to except the fact that we are not getting the service we should be.

Personally, I am p*sed off with the fact that our neighbor next door can get 15MB speed and we live 5 foot away and getting .5MP after 5PM?

Surely we shouldn't be paying that amount for what we are getting?

Thanks

Al
    Hi Alan, I appreciate that! Finally someone in Eircom has confirmed that the issue is due to the congestion on our lines.

I know it's not your fault but eircom can hardly expect us to keep paying 50+ euro a month when we are getting minumum speeds? I have rang the loyalty team multiple times and they are not willing to except the fact that we are not getting the service we should be.

Personally, I am p*sed off with the fact that our neighbor next door can get 15MB speed and we live 5 foot away and getting .5MP after 5PM?

Surely we shouldn't be paying that amount for what we are getting?
    I fully understand your frustration with this Mightydrumming

You make valid points and it's easy to agree with your views on this. However I can confirm that all speeds are provided on the condition of 'up to' the advised speed and as a result the package cannot be offered at a cheaper rate.

I can see that you are no longer in contract with eircom and because of this you may be offered a cheaper plan if you would like to contact our cancellations and loyalty team on free phone 1901. I'm genuinely sorry I can't do more for you.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan, thanks again!

I will get in-touch again with the loyalty team tomorrow and see if they can hopefully do something about the price.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi Alan, thanks again!

I will get in-touch again with the loyalty team tomorrow and see if they can hopefully do something about the price.

Thanks!
    You're most welcome Mightydrumming

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 22 K.P. Egan

Yall have to travel if you want better speeds.I was in a similar situation myself for years.In the end i just packed up sold the house and moved to the city.

K.P. Egan wrote: »

Yall have to travel if you want better speeds.I was in a similar situation myself for years.In the end i just packed up sold the house and moved to the city.
    Hi K.P!

That is ridiculous, were you in a rural area? We are in a town with approx 2000 people and not in a rural area. Hence why we are cracking up!

I was in contact with ComReg and they advised me to make a formal complaint to eircom and if I haven't received any communication from them in 10 days - ComReg will investigate the situation. It's crazy to think that we are STILL using the copper lines that were put in around the 80's/90's.

K.P. Egan wrote: »

Sorry to hear of this K.P. Egan

Let me know if there's anything I can help with if you experience issues at your new address

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement