Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United v Arsenal 4.00pm Sunday 17th May

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Slightly makes up for United robbing Arsenal at the Emirates earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Trilla wrote: »
    Ah balls. Arsenal better second half, deserved it.

United really should have done more in the first half, there's just no attacking impetus which is a bit strange given the amount of the ball they have. Falcao, RVP, whoever is up front has nothing to work with. Fellaini and Herrera are both 2 way players who don't consistently add to the attack. The 3rd midfielder has to be up with the striker and that rarely happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Meh, great first half and bah second half.

Valencia seeing a lot of the ball during the second but doing nothing with it as usual. Roll on next season. Wouldn't mind too much losing to Hull if it sends Newcastle down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Decent enough performance from United, Blackett and Valdes substitutions kind of mixed it up a bit much at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

blag wrote: »

I don't understand why Dean keeps getting these games. He's a terrible ref.

Whats the crest on LvG's blazer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Quazzie wrote: »
    So are you ready to admit that United are poor since ye're below us in the league now?

I did admit that there are 19 poor teams in the league

I fixed his post
    Imagine what Chelsea would do against an Arsenal performance like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Giroud doing the same thing to smalling.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Giroud doing the same thing to smalling.

Are you blind or something? When does Giroud pull his jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Are you blind or something? When does Giroud pull his jersey?

Ya I'm blind. But me dog was able to see it it was that obvious. You should invest in one I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Robson99 wrote: »
    Ya I'm blind. But me dog was able to see it it was that obvious. You should invest in one I think

Mate, I've got some bad news, I think your dog may be blind :(

Mate, I've got some bad news, I think your dog may be blind :(

I'm not even sure it's a dog! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

American football has over a dozen officials watching the play because grappling like that happens all the time.....and its always spotted and penalized.

I'm not sure if thats the answer with football but clearly something has to change as that sort of wrestling is way, way too common from set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rubbish match. Two very average teams.

Vintage Boards Soccer Forum post.

Google average please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

AdamD wrote: »
    Vintage Boards Soccer Forum post.

Google average please.

The "average" for me is the degree of entertainment I get from watching teams play. Today's match was well below the vast majority of matches these two teams played this season. Not very exciting, poor passing, little goalmouth action and 5/10 on the entertainment levels. Just about stayed awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

The "average" for me is the degree of entertainment I get from watching teams play. Today's match was well below the vast majority of matches these two teams played this season. Not very exciting, poor passing, little goalmouth action and 5/10 on the entertainment levels. Just about stayed awake.

agree with tayto lover , normally arsenal are 10/10 to watch with passing, movement etc .. just not today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I thought lvg got a lot wrong during the match. Trying to close the game out on the 74th minute by bringing on a defender and goal keeper was tactically naive from a manager with that much experience. Too players that cost united.

firstly, Blackett by name, rubbish by nature. wtf was he doing, terrible player not cut out at this level.

secondly, Valdes. Protect your front post, a box full of players and he's trying to be too clever.

falcao waving good bye? could be also ddg last home game too?

After all that money spent and united are a million miles away from the top 3. lvg isn't a top manager anymore.

Arsenal weren't great either but I rather them play like that than going gung ho like they did at the end. I like giroud but arsenal need a top striker to get to the next level, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I thought lvg got a lot wrong during the match. Trying to close the game out on the 74th minute by bringing on a defender and goal keeper was tactically naive from a manager with that much experience. Too players that cost united.

firstly, Blackett by name, rubbish by nature. wtf was he doing, terrible player not cut out at this level.

secondly, Valdes. Protect your front post, a box full of players and he's trying to be too clever.

After all that money spent and united are a million miles away from the top 3. lvg isn't a top manager anymore.

Arsenal weren't great either but I rather them play like that than going gung ho like they did at the end. I like giroud but arsenal need a top striker to get to the next level, simple as.

Yeah replacing player who was back from injury and a GK who was injured was a bad idea. Should have subbed on Wilson for Rojo, Januzaj for De Gea. Who wants GK and a LB.

Loved how you sneaked Arsenal into great team bracket, ManUtd are not million miles away from top 3. Long way to catch Chelsea but City and Arsenal are not great either.

Obviously Van Gaal is not a top manager but Wenger is for winning so many trophies that makes Jose to hide his face. One decent season and they are back.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Yeah replacing player who was back from injury and a GK who was injured was a bad idea. Should have subbed on Wilson for Rojo, Januzaj for De Gea. Who wants GK and a LB.

Loved how you sneaked Arsenal into great team bracket, ManUtd are not million miles away from top 3. Long way to catch Chelsea but City and Arsenal are not great either.

Obviously Van Gaal is not a top manager but Wenger is for winning so many trophies that makes Jose to hide his face. One decent season and they are back.

Its been 5 years since LvG won anything. Maybe he just doesnt have it anymore. He's been shown up a few times this year already.

• Advertisement

Its been 5 years since LvG won anything. Maybe he just doesnt have it anymore. He's been shown up a few times this year already.

Well if he wins an FA cup in 5 years time then we can say he's back again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

How much has wenger won in the last 5 years? 1 about to be 2 fa cups?

Yeah because he didn't manage any club since 2011.

I don't rate him among the best in the world as clearly he isn't, not even top 5. Btw do you rate Wenger as top manager?

It was 9 or 10 years before that FA cup without anything wasn't it? So we have to give van Gaal another few years before making that call, wouldn't want anybody getting egg on their face if the mighty LvG lifts the prestigious FA Cup in a few years time to declare himself still relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I wouldn't waste the bandwidth trying to engage with that one mate.

His agenda and intentions in the SF are as clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Why would you waste your time typing this stuff out.

What has Wenger got to do with anything?

Nearly 200 million spent, give that money to any manager in the Prem and they'd finish top 4.

Yeah because he didn't manage any club since 2011.

I don't rate him among the best in the world as clearly he isn't, not even top 5. Btw do you rate Wenger as top manager?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I think with another 150 million, Louis could get United third next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Raf32 wrote: »

With that sort of money wenger might even get a player who shows up in big games, it would make a change

What has Wenger got to do with anything?

Nearly 200 million spent, give that money to any manager in the Prem and they'd finish top 4.

Arsenal spent 170 Million plus in last 3 seasons and has improved 1 position in last 3 years. Also Arsenal never had the changes that is happening at United.

Don't think Arsenal and other teams are paying bag of chips and paying transfer fee in bag of coal, point is Arsenal spend money but less than other top teams and higher than midtable teams.

And wenger can spend endless money but will never ever win CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

There is very minimal difference between 2nd and 4th in the league. Arsenal have a far more settled squad than United yet they were terrible in the Champions League and are still only 2 points ahead of United who were absolutely dreadful for large parts of the season. It's not going to take a huge effort to win the league or to overtake Chelsea either.

I think United will finish ahead of Arsenal next year and I think it will be by a comfortable margin.

glued wrote: »
    There is very minimal difference between 2nd and 4th in the league. Arsenal have a far more settled squad than United yet they were terrible in the Champions League and are still only 2 points ahead of United who were absolutely dreadful for large parts of the season. It's not going to take a huge effort to win the league or to overtake Chelsea either.

I think United will finish ahead of Arsenal next year and I think it will be by a comfortable margin.

They also spent 100 Million or plus but not a word is said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Arsenal spent 170 Million plus in last 3 seasons and has improved 1 position in last 3 years. Also Arsenal never had the changes that is happening at United.

Don't think Arsenal and other teams are paying bag of chips and paying transfer fee in bag of coal, point is Arsenal spend money but less than other top teams and higher than midtable teams.

Don't necessarily agree with you there. Fair enough we haven't had a change of manager, but we have had a lot of changes over the last 8 years or so with our best players being sold every summer.

170 million in 3 seasons, Utd basically did that last summer!

Anyway the match was disappointing in the end imo, probably to be expected with not a lot to play for. I'm hoping Arsenal will be in the mix for the title next season, as I expect City, Chelsea and Utd to be up there next season. Can't see anybody else breaking into the top 4 next season, although stranger things have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

That whole post is a shocking shout and extremely arrogant. How can you seriously say that it won't take a huge effort to overtake Chelsea and win the league? Suppose it's a cert that Utd will wrap up a league and champions league double, easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

That whole post is a shocking shout and extremely arrogant. How can you seriously say that it won't take a huge effort to overtake Chelsea and win the league? Suppose it's a cert that Utd will wrap up a league and champions league double, easy!

I think United are far off being a title winning side but it won't take a huge effort to overtake Chelsea. Chelsea are a good side but I don't think they will find it as easy next year as United and City will improve and so will Spurs and Liverpool. I would have Chelsea as favourites next year but that's only because City and United will have to reinvest heavily in the squad. Chelsea were under no real pressure this season for the title. Next season it will be much closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If they sign Carroll to partner Fellaini :cool:
    Chelsea are comfortably ahead of the chasing pack right now, they walked the league this season & as much as I dislike him have the best manager too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

This thread is absolutely woeful. What's the point if all ye are gonna do is make terrible attempts to troll other people trying to do the exact same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I think United are far off being a title winning side but it won't take a huge effort to overtake Chelsea. Chelsea are a good side but I don't think they will find it as easy next year as United and City will improve and so will Spurs and Liverpool. I would have Chelsea as favourites next year but that's only because City and United will have to reinvest heavily in the squad. Chelsea were under no real pressure this season for the title. Next season it will be much closer.

Come off it there's a huge gap between the two, more than likely going to be 20 points by the end of the season. You can say Chelsea had no real challenger but when there's such a difference between the two how can you say it won't be a huge effort to overtake Chelsea? Utd are going to spend another 100-150 million this Summer , surely that's a huge effort in itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The standard of the EPL has dropped way off in recent years. Mediocre teams like Chelsea and City have won titles because of this but it wouldn't take a huge leap from teams like Utd and Arsenal to reassert their dominance of the division. The challenge is trying to be competitive in Europe again while the domestic opposition is so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United don't need to invest heavily, they need to invest wisely..

Sadly one won't come without other.

V8JdkYK.jpg

Be interesting to see this table at the end of next season. We have played well against the big teams, playing them off the park for most games. Everything else bar the odd Hull game has being ****e.

RasTa wrote: »
    V8JdkYK.jpg

Be interesting to see this table at the end of next season. We have played well against the big teams, playing them off the park for most games. Everything else bar the odd Hull game has being ****e.

It's a bit of a meaningless table why are liverpool included and not spurs and southampton. Surely it should be just top 4. Take out games against liverpool and Chelsea are top as they would be if you include spurs and southampton. Utd are the only team in the top 4 to beat Liverpool twice so by including them it skews the table.

It's a bit of a meaningless table why are liverpool included and not spurs and southampton. Surely it should be just top 4. Take out games against liverpool and Chelsea are top as they would be if you include spurs and southampton. Utd are the only team in the top 4 to beat Liverpool twice so by including them it skews the table.

Guessing Liverpool are there because they are 5th. There are always these type of tables and the end of the season. Agree it doesn't mean much but it does show LVG knows what he is doing against the "title" contenders

Not so much against the rest of the league

United got 4 points from 6 against Spurs and 3 points from 6 against Saints.
    Chelsea were hammered by Spurs once and if I recall correctly drew both games with Southampton.
    United would still top the table if you included those 2, unless my memory is failing me, open to correction if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Maybe because Liverpool are 5th in the table?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I know it sounds a bit unorthodox, maybe even pointless to include so many teams since only 5 really matter, but does anyone have a table comparing 20 teams for the craic? Just for ****s and giggles.

Chelsea were hammered by Spurs once and if I recall correctly drew both games with Southampton.
    United would still top the table if you included those 2, unless my memory is failing me, open to correction if I'm wrong.

What's interesting is if you add in spurs and the saints and all the other teams, that table has united in fourth.

My memory failed me I was thinking spurs beat utd at ot that was the previous season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement