Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA in a day... what to do?

Options
  • 17-05-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

I will be in LA for one day and I would like some advise on what to do or where to go. I will be by myself and not driving so it would have to be stuff within close distance of each other because I am aware of the 'not so good' public transport there.

Any recommendations? I will be staying near Union Station.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its also the spread out nature of the city (its really more of a County) that makes the public transport especially ineffective. To put it into perspective, Union Station to Santa Monica is about 20 miles. So its like visiting Dublin and staying in Bray. Thats what catches people out I think.

DO you have any choice in hotels or is that already set up? Union Station is near Downtown LA, and "Downtown Los Angeles" is the financial center, its like the "City of London", full of big banks, insurance companies, conference centers, etc. Dull, boring and dead after about 6pm.

So with one day you have some choices.

Is there anything in particular that interests you? There's the movie studios. Beverley Hills. Rodeo Drive. Museums. Galleries. Disneyland. You'd be very well placed for baseball at Dodger Stadium.

Your hotel will have information on tour companies. Its quite an industry there and there's every conceivable variation of guided tour, from mini-buses, to limos to open top buses. Its a good way of getting a feel for the place.

Personally, I would take a cab (buses are a possibility) to Santa Monica in the morning and plan on hanging out there and Venice beach. Its the most (only?) walkable area and there's the beach and the pier. You'll have to spend $$ on the taxi though.

Advertisement