Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Kilkenny

Options
  • 17-05-2015 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

so finally booked a couple of nights in Kilkenny - looking for suggestions on things to do, nice places for lunch, etc (will probably eat in the hotel in the evening) - ideally would like to just dump the car and stay close to the town during the day

Also if I do bring the car into the town centre (I'm booked into the Newpark) - where can I park and what's the deal on charges, etc. or would I be better to just get a cab into the centre during the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

What's the backround of your visit? Bringing the good lady? Gang of lads? Drinking? music etc. Taxi would be about €6/7 into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Bringing the mammy for a break so no mad pubs needed, more touristy stuff I think really

Bringing the mammy for a break so no mad pubs needed, more touristy stuff I think really

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

http://www.visitkilkenny.ie/Events_Kilkenny

From Newpark you could walk into town, in less than 5 minutes you are at mcdonagh junction. Parking is alright around the town a lot of places range from 2-4 euro but honestly the walk from newpark hotel is pretty short into town.

Some notable stuff:

Castle Park (Tours of the Castle too)
    Smithwicks Brewery Tour (Think thats still going, got excellent reviews)
    Tynan Tours if you fancy a more historical trip

This site has a list of stuff to do thats more medieval and interesting:
    http://www.visitkilkenny.ie/ireland_medieval_mile_in_kilkenny

Plenty of lovely restaurants around town like Zuni's and Ripley's. Plenty of pubs too if ya change your mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Aaah the Mammy, as Doff said McDonagh junction is only about 5 min walk (I suppose it all depends on the mammy's fitness and the weather) The brewery tour is supposed to be excellent, the castle and design center are beside each other. If you are here on a Sunday the Left Bank has a "jazz" session around 6pm with groups of jazz dance fanatics having the craic in front of the band. Nicholas Mosse pottery is 20 min down the road in Bennettsbridge. Finally, I can't leave this out, the Discovery Park in Castlecomer there's a great exihibition about the mining that kept Comer alive for years and nice walks around the lakes and you can finish it with a nice cup O tae and a big slice of cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Head to Bennettsbridge for Moth to a Flame candles, Nicholas Mosse Pottery and have lunch in the old mill where they make the pottery. After lunch head to Jerpoint glass via Stoneyford to the knocknadrinagh cheese shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

http://www.kilkennyghosttours.com

Seen a sign for this the other day in town seems like a new thing and something different to do in Kilkenny and some people might enjoy it.

thanks so much for all the input all - much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

If you're interested in the brewery tour, make sure to book in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

If you haven't already done this trip, I went with friends and did a few things which I would definitely recommend. Tynan walking tour is very good and gives you a feel for the city. Hurling way tour is good fun as a few in our group had never played before. Smithwicks experience tour is interesting and great fun with a pint for good measure. You can also go up the round tower at canices cathedral which gives a nice view over the city. The above would really fill your couple of days in Kilkenny

• Advertisement
Advertisement