Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student account for PhD student

Options
  • 17-05-2015 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi All

I currently have a graduate account with AIB and I am happy with it, however in a couple of months it will automatically change into a normal current account. I am a PhD student and will be for the next three years.

AIB have proven to be useless through both email and going into a branch when I ask them to extend my graduate or return my student account.

I am now thinking of leaving AIB and getting a Bank of Ireland student account.

Has anyone gone through a similar experience, and would BoI be happy to give me an account under my circumstances?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I started a PhD in 2008 and BoI had no problems extending my student account until I was finished (including extending it past the original end date). It's not exactly the same situation as I have been with BoI since secondary school but there didn't seem to be any fundamental problem with it. All it took was a quick conversation with one of the bank clerks. Since I've finished, they've also given me a year without fees to get started in the real-world :).

I think if you get talking to someone "in-store" it should be fine. Very short sighted of AIB to not do it for you. That's a customer lost.

Anyway, I can't give you a definitive answer but my experience was very good. Best of luck.

Advertisement