Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance help

Options
  • 17-05-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, Im asking for some advice/help for my sister

She is in need of her own place
    Shes a single mother, with a 4 month old girl
    and shes getting benefits for that, but shes trying to move out soon
    and was wondering how to go about getting rent allowance set up
    and how much she would be entitled too & how much she would have to pay a week

also what requirements she would need to qualify
    (ive read about needing to have rented for 6 months in the past year)

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

The 6 months rule means that anyone applying for rent allowance has to be able to prove they were able to afford rental accommodation, but a change in circumstances means they now require assistance. Do you think this would apply to your sister?

Rent allowance rates depends on the area you are living in but most rented accommodation tends to over the maximum rent allowed. Makes finding a place very difficult if you're relying on the rent allowance.

All the details are here, http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NeedinHelp

aunt aggie wrote: »
    The 6 months rule means that anyone applying for rent allowance has to be able to prove they were able to afford rental accommodation, but a change in circumstances means they now require assistance. Do you think this would apply to your sister?

Rent allowance rates depends on the area you are living in but most rented accommodation tends to over the maximum rent allowed. Makes finding a place very difficult if you're relying on the rent allowance.

All the details are here,

Thank you for the link :)

she was planning on moving out but then the baby came, would that be it?

and can she pay the rest of the rent with her own money if the allowance is below it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

NeedinHelp wrote: »

and can she pay the rest of the rent with her own money if the allowance is below it?

Where is she currently living?

You are not supposed to to up rent above the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is she/was she working? Is she getting Maternity Benefit or Lone Parent Allowance (or its equivalent)

shes currently living at home (A 4 bedroom house with 8 people)& she was working full time

@stheno Okay so she has to find a place below the rent allowance limit? (which is 850/950)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

shes currently living at home (A 4 bedroom house with 8 people)& she was working full time

@stheno Okay so she has to find a place below the rent allowance limit? (which is 850/950)

Yes she has to find a place under the limiit

Is she being paid by her employer while on maternity leave or on benefit?

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes she has to find a place under the limiit

Is she being paid by her employer while on maternity leave or on benefit?

benefit :)

But she's not currently renting. I imagine she would find it difficult to cover rent on her own for 6 months. Even if she could do that she would need to show a change in circumstances (I think) to be eligible for rent allowance.

She can't go straight from living at home to receiving rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

She needs to be assessed and put on the council housing list. Then she'll be eligible for rent allowance

But she's not currently renting. I imagine she would find it difficult to cover rent on her own for 6 months. Even if she could do that she would need to show a change in circumstances (I think) to be eligible for rent allowance.

ohhh damn, thats what id figured
    Ill talk with her about it
    Thank you all soo much :)

• Advertisement

She needs to be assessed and put on the council housing list. Then she'll be eligible for rent allowance

ohhh okay great! :)

Oh I always though the council housing and rent allowance were separate issues. Didn't realise this was possible, but if it's right then my last post probably doesn't apply to OPs sister.

Was just thinking the same but if she can show the house is overcrowded would that make a difference?

@ op is she planning on going back to work?

ohhh okay great! :)

Not so quick, the council have to decide she needs to go on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Stheno wrote: »
    Not so quick, the council have to decide she needs to go on the list

She does plan on going back to work, but not until the childs a bit older

Advertisement