Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prayers of the Faithful - including unborn niece/nephew

Options
  • 17-05-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, my sister is my bridesmaid and will be 6 months pregnant - I would like to include part of a prayer of the faithful for our first niece/nephew ( very exciting time!).... something like below, but along with something else so as not to embarrass her by making a huge thing out if it, has anyone any suggestions? Thanks!

For all unborn children: that our love and care will help to keep them safe until the day of their birth. Lord, hear us.

Comments

Just my opinion - if I was at your wedding and didn't know it was aimed at your sister, that to me sounds like it's a comment about protecting the unborn from abortion. Might not be the case with anyone but it's the first thing I thought of given the wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Have you asked your sister about this?
    I'd be mortified!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

I wouldn't include it, primarily due to the attitude of the church in Ireland regarding unbaptised babies who passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't do this. It has the potential to upset a lot of people for myriad reasons. A wedding is not the time for a shout out to the unborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Have to agree with the others. I understand the loving sentiment behind it but I wouldn't do it either.

Don't mean to sound morbid but speaking from experience, anything can happen between now and the baby's birth, you just don't know what's going on so would leave it out and keep the excitement of the impending arrival separate to your wedding day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Have to agree with the others. I understand the loving sentiment behind it but I wouldn't do it either.

Don't mean to sound morbid but speaking from experience, anything can happen between now and the baby's birth, you just don't know what's going on so would leave it out and keep the excitement of the impending arrival separate to your wedding day.

The wording you gave sounds odd, but I was at a mass recently where the priest prayed for a pregnant lady. Something about 'a special blessing for X'. It sounded nice whatever way he said it. Maybe ask the priest what he'd suggest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, it reads like a pro-life outburst and has no apparent place at a wedding. I'd get specific if it was being included, because "all babies" is too broad and possibly contentious. I can't see how you'd include it without singling out your sister and possibly making her uncomfortable.

It's a lovely sentiment, but it might not be the best in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't do anything specific for the child, if you are having a prayer for your families in general that would include any future children. It does sound like a pro life statement and could be seen as political. I'd err on the side of caution and leave it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I agree with others. I'd go with praying for both families, or something like that, rather than any reference to the unborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Good god no. That is a terrible idea and I find it a little unsettling rather than being a nice idea. It is completely inappropriate and has the potential to cause massive upset to a lot of people for various reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Skip it, or make it much more vague, like for everyone's family, past, present and future.

I was at a funeral when someone did something similar, naming me and my unborn baby. I had not told most of the people there at the time, it was extremely awkward, especially as I had lost a pregnancy at 14 weeks only a few months earlier, so I was a pile of nerves anyway.

Please don't do it. I was at a wedding 25 years ago, where 3 of us were pregnant. Only one of us went on to live birth (It wasn't me) I still cannot look at photos of that wedding without getting upset. A general prayer for families would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

Thank you everyone for your answers. I have decided to leave it out. The wording I had in the original post was not what I was going to use, I had something much nicer and personal but it was a general idea of whether it was something that would be nice or something that wouldn't be appropriate that I was looking for really.
    Thanks all for taking the time to reply :)

Advertisement