Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I too late, keep trying or give up

Options
  • 17-05-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Long time reader of this thread, I turned 44 this week and I feel I'm running out of time. I found out I was pregnant ( my first pregnancy ) end of January 2015, delighted , nervous. Unfortunately I had a miscarraige on Friday 13th Feb ( it sure was an unlucky day for us). Physically and emotionally it was really tough on me, I stayed out of work for 3 weeks as I was struggling with the loss of our baby ( I was 6 weeks and 2 days). We have decided to try again last month not successful , I'm taking pregnacare folic acid/vitamin daily but should I keep trying to conceive or take it that was my only chance. Everywhere I go there are babies, a girl at work due around my due date and I feel awful but I'm avoiding speaking with her, another girl about to announce her pregnancy too. I started visiting a grief counsellor and she said it will take time to process your loss, but time is not on my side! I know the risks are higher due to my age...
    Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Hi Valyawl.
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I also had a loss at 10 weeks back in March. I'm almost 38 so am conscious of time passing too. Have you been to your doctor or had any assistance with your first pregnancy? The general advice is try by yourself for a year under 35 and 6 months over 35 before seeking assistance. Perhaps at 44 it would be best to go to the doctor ASAP and talk about maximising your chances?

Good luck with your journey

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm 40 and plan to keep TTC for the next couple of years anyway.

Honestly, given your age, if you want to try to have a baby, now is the time, and I'd go straight to a fertility consultant if you had been trying a while - I'll be doing that shortly, a few rounds of IUI here then onto IVF abroad if needs be.
    You might find that having a successful pregnancy eases the heartbreak of a loss a little bit. It did with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Hi Valyawl,

Very sorry to hear about your loss, its heart breaking pet x

Just echoing what the other ladies have said, try to get a fertitily clinic as soon as possible. I can only imagine how heartbroken you must feel right now, and you probably do need some time to heal, but at least if you get started sooner you will increase your chances xxx

Advertisement