Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Abu Dhabi

Options
  • 17-05-2015 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi, I'm 26 & I'm looking in to moving in to Abu Dhabi around August or September 2016. I realise its a long way away yet but I'm trying to make a decision well in advance. I will give you a little bit of information about myself.

I'm returning to college this coming September to complete my Masters degree in Marketing. I am aiming for a 1.1 & I will complete the course in late summer 2016. I'm going out with a girl who is moving in January & in order to make a go of things with her I will need to follow her over. I would be hoping to get work in Marketing over there but the problem lies in the fact that I have no professional experience in Marketing. I have experience in sales & some marketing but not enough to be confident in getting a good job with a decent wage abroad.

Will the fact that I will have a Masters degree help me in any way? As it stands, my bachelors degree has not brought about a whole lot of possibilities in Ireland. I have no knowledge of the employee market in Abu Dhabi but any jobs I have researched recently all seem to want people with a lot of experience. If anyone has got any information that could help me I would be very appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Why Abu Dhabi ? ? .:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Long Gone wrote: »
    Why Abu Dhabi ? ? .:confused:

Cause his missus is going in January presumably for a job. OP not sure what the jobs market is like for marketing, I know a few teachers and childcare workers over there. I'm sure you will get something but I'm not sure if you'll get a marketing gig. You other half will probably gather the info for you on her arrival in January, I would wait till then. Good luck with the move

She's going I've in January ? ? .:confused:

Very little chance of him strolling into Abu Dhabi and picking up a local job... Most western professionals in Abu Dhabi are experts in their field or posted there by their western based employers or both. He does realize that he will need a work permit to work in Abu Dhabi ? ? ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Diseased toe

Have a look at the following site, it's a good starting point if you are thinking of going

http://www.abudhabipaddy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Very little chance of him strolling into Abu Dhabi and picking up a local job... Most western professionals in Abu Dhabi are experts in their field or posted there by their western based employers or both. He does realize that he will need a work permit to work in Abu Dhabi ? ? ? ?

Yes, I do realise I need a work permit.

Yes, she's a nurse starting in Abu Dhabi in January.

I want to gather as much information as I can before I even start to seriously think about moving. I realise the majority of westerners are placed in Abu Dhabi by recruitment agencies &/or their companies but I would imagine there has to be a starting point for someone such as myself looking to make the move for maybe a year or 2. I doubt I'm the only person no has been faced with this decision but I would be up for the challenge. It isn't going to be easy to just arrive over & start working. I realise it can be a long process & the chances of me finding work are fairly slim.

Ideally, I would like to get in touch with an agency here who can source work for people in Abu Dhabi, perhaps I'm being naieve & such a thing doesn't exist but the whole point of this thread was to try & find out as much information as I possibly could from people who may have been in the same position. More often than not these type of threads can throw up more information than google ever could.

As for the poster above, many thanks for the link, will have a look on it now just to suss it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Lots of westerners working in PR & Marketing in the UAE. I think if you take your time you will get a good role. Do you have a preference for in house or agency work? There are a lot agencies in Dubai, not sure about AD but I would say there are a some. If you are looking in house in AD might be worth trying the F1 in YAS they have very large teams with a good mix of nationalities. Agency wise in Dubai I've heard good things about DABO & Co, Weber Shandwick and Hill & Knowlton. Leo Burnett has a huge office in Dubai as does Mindshare. There also things like taste of Dubai/Abu Dhabi that have their own marketing people. It may be hard to get your foot in the door but once you in and get a years experience even at a junior level you'll be fine. Definitely get in touch with the Irish Business Council and go to their meetings very good place to start. Good luck!

Edit 4.5yrs into our 2yr plan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Publicis Groupe also have an office in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

wuffly wrote: »
    Lots of westerners working in PR & Marketing in the UAE. I think if you take your time you will get a good role. Do you have a preference for in house or agency work? There are a lot agencies in Dubai, not sure about AD but I would say there are a some. If you are looking in house in AD might be worth trying the F1 in YAS they have very large teams with a good mix of nationalities. Agency wise in Dubai I've heard good things about DABO & Co, Weber Shandwick and Hill & Knowlton. Leo Burnett has a huge office in Dubai as does Mindshare. There also things like taste of Dubai/Abu Dhabi that have their own marketing people. It may be hard to get your foot in the door but once you in and get a years experience even at a junior level you'll be fine. Definitely get in touch with the Irish Business Council and go to their meetings very good place to start. Good luck!

Edit 4.5yrs into our 2yr plan ;)

Thank you very much for all the information above. I'm going to try & talk to agencies based here this summer just to see what way things are done over there in terms of work visas etc.

Ideally I would like to head over as soon as I finish my thesis which is due at the end of summer 2016. I will certainly look into everything you mentioned above. Thank you again.

http://ibnjobportal.com/

Not much on at the moment but worth keeping an eye on it.

coopdog85 wrote: »
    I'm going to try & talk to agencies based here this summer just to see what way things are done over there in terms of work visas etc.

From my own experience agencies at home have no clue how it works here. I tried dealing with grafton recruitment at home as they have an office here and they literally just had emails addresses for the team here.(utterly useless and full of sh*te) Its best to get a role before moving but this takes a long time and is pretty rare these days. If your gf is here you can move out(depending on living arrangements) and look locally doing visa runs is not an issue. I would suggest if you are visiting your gf anytime soon try and meet recruiters, so they have you in mind when roles come up. Unless you fit a role they have they literally do not give a flying fiddlers about helping you get a job. I know that sounds harsh but its hard to describe how rubbish they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

**mod snip**

My advice, go through an internationally recognised recruitment agency - Hays, Morgan McKinley, Robert Half, Michael Page etc, try line up interviews before you go.

There will be more work in Dubai than Abu Dhabi, a lot of back office work is done by Indians and Filipinos, who will work for next to nothing

You may do well in a sales based role, but be advised they are heavily if not completely commission based remuneration.

If your missus' job gives her accommodation, then just go over and plough into looking for work. Bring a lot of money.

**mod snip**

Have a look at the following site, it's a good starting point if you are thinking of going

http://www.abudhabipaddy.com/

Not the most helpful really.

Coop - PM Me

He can go to Abu Dhabi on a tourist visa which is automatically granted to Irish citizens on arrival. During the 30 days visa he is permitted to look for work, interview for jobs and even take up employment, his employer will then process teh visa and his healthcare which is their legal obligation.

That is nonsense - You are specifically forbidden from taking up employment if you are in the emirate on a tourist visa. What part of the word "tourist" do you not understand ?

https://www.abudhabi.ae/portal/public/en/citizens/work_and_employment/getting_a_visa1;jsessionid=mfXNV7VSq9jFljvGlXnJ8Kvf7N9xCzlTTQFyy0HQmjyjHjmpcc0q!1355287753!777284078?_afrLoop=5665941411395824#%40%3F_afrLoop%3D5665941411395824%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Ddwt20ie7t_4

"According to the laws of the UAE, visitors with visit, tourist, transit or similar visas are not permitted to take up employment in the country, unless they adjust their visa status, and get the permission of the relevant authorities."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

***** Boards.ie will not advice on, assist with or otherwise condone illegal activity, and that includes in other countries/ immigration fraud. The discussion on working while on a Tourist Visa stops here. *****

You can't WORK while on a tourist visa - you CAN seek employment on a tourist visa, your employer then sorts your visa. I live here ffs.

That is nonsense - You are specifically forbidden from taking up employment if you are in the emirate on a tourist visa. What part of the word "tourist" do you not understand ?

https://www.abudhabi.ae/portal/public/en/citizens/work_and_employment/getting_a_visa1;jsessionid=mfXNV7VSq9jFljvGlXnJ8Kvf7N9xCzlTTQFyy0HQmjyjHjmpcc0q!1355287753!777284078?_afrLoop=5665941411395824#%40%3F_afrLoop%3D5665941411395824%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Ddwt20ie7t_4

"According to the laws of the UAE, visitors with visit, tourist, transit or similar visas are not permitted to take up employment in the country, unless they adjust their visa status, and get the permission of the relevant authorities."

The exact process of changing your visa is what your employer does, you can't be actually working but you can signt he contract. Your employer is who sorts your visa, you can't just pop into the embassy in Dublin and get it sorted. Your employer is responsible for paying for your visa, your medical, and your flights home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My concerns with moving to UAE was signing on for a 3 year commitment in which my role and title would not change. As a foreigner you cannot rise through the ranks within that 3 years. I have friends over there right now who want to leave before their 3 years is up. They will have to pay back a lump of money to get out of the agreement. You will be second place to the locals in the work place.

You may be better off long term not going there and instead working in a couple of different jobs in different places that allow you to progress your career so in the big picture you'll make more money...

Just my opinion on it. Also, I believe technically...most developed nations don't have a tax treaty with the UAE so there's all kind of tax implications if you try to bring that money out of the UAE...but with Ireland in particular, that's meant to be easy to get around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Wompa1 wrote: »
    My concerns with moving to UAE was signing on for a 3 year commitment in which my role and title would not change. As a foreigner you cannot rise through the ranks within that 3 years. I have friends over there right now who want to leave before their 3 years is up. They will have to pay back a lump of money to get out of the agreement. You will be second place to the locals in the work place.

You may be better off long term not going there and instead working in a couple of different jobs in different places that allow you to progress your career so in the big picture you'll make more money...

Just my opinion on it. Also, I believe technically...most developed nations don't have a tax treaty with the UAE so there's all kind of tax implications if you try to bring that money out of the UAE...but with Ireland in particular, that's meant to be easy to get around...

Not my experience at all. Firstly, it's not that common to work with locals. Secondly, with reputable international employers the opportunities to progress are often stellar, particularly if you're willing to stick around a bit longer than most. Thirdly, the money -for me at least and my colleagues- is amazing. The UAE is a very good place to be a young professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

FURET wrote: »
    Not my experience at all. Firstly, it's not that common to work with locals. Secondly, with reputable international employers the opportunities to progress are often stellar, particularly if you're willing to stick around a bit longer than most. Thirdly, the money -for me at least and my colleagues- is amazing. The UAE is a very good place to be a young professional.

Ah ok, maybe it was that one company that I was talking to. I had thought you can't move up in that three years. You can take another job to move up at the end of the three years.

What they offered me vs what I made when in Ireland was amazing. What they offered me vs what I make in the US wasn't all that great.

The company I was talking to was UAE owned, not international.

It was mostly locals and Brits. With a member of the Royal Family there heading the company.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »

Haven't heard of anything like this either... on the other hand I would not believe any verbal promises regarding benefits or increments, if its not in your contract its very hard to get afterwards. Regarding not moving up, I find that really strange, I don't know why they would tell you that? I've never heard of any job where there is zero chance of promotion. In my experience a lot of westerners are in more senior roles here than they would be in at home and often get promoted relatively quickly. To my knowledge they could only charge you your recruitment fee (if there is one)if you leave within the first year. They cannot charge you for your visa etc... A visa is for 3 yrs but you are not tied for three years if you want to change jobs, they cancel your visa and your new company arranges a new one. Do you know if it was a limited or unlimited contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 26 & I'm looking in to moving in to Abu Dhabi around August or September 2016. I realise its a long way away yet but I'm trying to make a decision well in advance. I will give you a little bit of information about myself.

I'm returning to college this coming September to complete my Masters degree in Marketing. I am aiming for a 1.1 & I will complete the course in late summer 2016. I'm going out with a girl who is moving in January & in order to make a go of things with her I will need to follow her over. I would be hoping to get work in Marketing over there but the problem lies in the fact that I have no professional experience in Marketing. I have experience in sales & some marketing but not enough to be confident in getting a good job with a decent wage abroad.

Will the fact that I will have a Masters degree help me in any way? As it stands, my bachelors degree has not brought about a whole lot of possibilities in Ireland. I have no knowledge of the employee market in Abu Dhabi but any jobs I have researched recently all seem to want people with a lot of experience. If anyone has got any information that could help me I would be very appreciative.

OP first of all best of luck with the move. You seem to have your head screwed on and don't have the usual dreams of walking into a million dollar salaried job whcih, for some reason a lot of people think. I'm 26 also and been over here 3 years, I'm moving to Dubai myself in a few weeks.

My advise is if you have lack of experience is that you need to work your way up over here and you can do it relatively quickly if you have a goal in mind, work hard and get Middle East experience behind you. However as someone else already pointed out "western" staff usually make up the majority of experienced management level roles. Lower level roles are taken by other nationalities and are not paid as well, and believe me, the UAE aint cheap to live in.

I also come from a Business/ Marketing background. I did look at marketing roles but found without the experience you're talking maybe max 10,000 AED a month full package. Now that's not bad in Ireland, that's over 25,000 EUR tax free but to live off and keep the same standard of living as you're used to it's tough, but doable.

Recruitment agencies probably won't be interested in a profile with no experience however. But you mentioned you have sales, there's plenty of sales roles that do everything from full commission salary to part salary part commission. Usually property I think is full commission. I actually started 3 years ago with a recruitment agent and I'm now with a large international company in-house recruitment. It was a good start as recruitment agents will give you the time as you're essentially paying for yourself if you bring in the sales. It's tough business but agents are always looking for guys. You could probably get 12,000 AED basic + commission monthly. If you're decent you can make some serious money and you'll get the experience you need behind you.

It is tough, if marketing is your thing there's also event management which a lot of marketing companies do. Look up Farah leisure, they run all the Yas Island stuff. You'll move up quickly enough if you've got the drive and prove yourself over here. So if you want the marketing maybe sacrifice the salary a bit and go for it, in a couple of years it'll be worth it. Also you have your girlfriend so some costs will be halved which is also a benefit a lot of people don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Slightly related. Herself has been offered and accepted a good job in Bahrain. I've worked in a bank for the last 8 years and finding it frustrating to find a job. I never went to uni which is now to my detriment in trying to apply for a job over there as they look for a lot of third level education
    Does anyone know any good agencies or the best way to apply. All I seem to get is decline emails. Moving over in August this year.
    We have an 8 month old so I would be looking after her at the start while I look for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

greenman09 wrote: »
    Slightly related. Herself has been offered and accepted a good job in Bahrain. I've worked in a bank for the last 8 years and finding it frustrating to find a job. I never went to uni which is now to my detriment in trying to apply for a job over there as they look for a lot of third level education
    Does anyone know any good agencies or the best way to apply. All I seem to get is decline emails. Moving over in August this year.
    We have an 8 month old so I would be looking after her at the start while I look for work.

I used to work in Bahrain and I'm there regularly. It's a great place. It's good for banking I believe. I'll send you a PM now with the contact info of a friend of mine.

What area of banking are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 E_slattery

Hi Coopdawg,

Marketing jobs are on the increase here in Abu Dhabi with the TwoFourFiftyFour media zone. My brother worked for Yas Marina on the Formula 1 before he went home earlier this year. He found it hard to get marketing job but his masters definitely helped him. Once he got one job offer he got 10.

Flash, Taximedia are two firms that are always hiring. Linkedin is a major recruitment tool here. Update your Linkedin and get in touch with marketing firms that way.

I recommend you use a very useful website for people such as yourself AbuDhabiPaddy.com There's a section on Before you arrive that is useful or ask your questions in a closed FB group Irish in Abu Dhabi there are plenty of residents in it

They usually hold free How-to sessions in Abu Dhabi for new arrivals in early September and have deals with companies such as car hire.

Remember to get all your qualifications and marriage certificate attested before you leave because trying to do it from here can be a pain.

Hope that was useful and enjoy the rain. It's 45 degrees here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 E_slattery

Hi Coopdog85,

Marketing jobs are on the increase here in Abu Dhabi with the TwoFourFiftyFour media zone. My brother worked for Yas Marina on the Formula 1 before he went home earlier this year. He found it hard to get marketing job but his masters definitely helped him. Once he got one job offer he got 10.

Flash, Taximedia are two firms that are always hiring. Linkedin is a major recruitment tool here. Update your Linkedin and get in touch with marketing firms that way.

I recommend you use a very useful website for people such as yourself AbuDhabiPaddy.com There's a section on Before you arrive that is useful or ask your questions in a closed FB group Irish in Abu Dhabi there are plenty of residents in it

They usually hold free How-to sessions in Abu Dhabi for new arrivals in early September and have deals with companies such as car hire.

Remember to get all your qualifications and marriage certificate attested before you leave because trying to do it from here can be a pain.

Hope that was useful and enjoy the rain. It's 45 degrees here ;)[/QUOTE]

Advertisement