Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Open 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I don't think there's anything wrong with fist pumps, she didn't do it excessively or in an over the top in your face kind of way.

Disappointed that Wozniaki is gone :( Goerges played really well but I was really hoping Caroline would do well here!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

This wan playing wozniaki is really annoying. Fist pumps after nearly every point she wins, even if it's an error from wozniaki. I hate ivanovic for the same reason!

I don't mind the fist pumps and all that if it's 5-5 in the 3rd set and they've been playing for 3 hours. It's when they're doing it from the very first point of the match that it bugs me. Ivanovic is desperate for it these days. Fist pump twirl kick Adje! after every bloody point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

This Kuznetsova-Schiavone match is so good!! Great shots mixed with some awful errors. Going 3 hours 43 mins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Poor from Kvitova once again, as her opponents get better, only a matter of time before she goes out if she does not step it up.

Williams crawled over the line as well to set up a cracking third rounder with Azarenka.

Murray and Sousa in a good match now, 1-1 each in sets, worth a watch,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nadal cruising ... tournament allready won ... ching ching money in the bank !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I don't mind the fist pumps and all that if it's 5-5 in the 3rd set and they've been playing for 3 hours. It's when they're doing it from the very first point of the match that it bugs me. Ivanovic is desperate for it these days. Fist pump twirl kick Adje! after every bloody point.

I agree, doing it when you've won a point to go 15-0 up is fairly stupid. I actually wouldn't be able to watch an ivanovic match at all :p

This gasquet match is pretty decent. Hope berlocq wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

the_monkey wrote: »
    Nadal cruising ... tournament allready won ... ching ching money in the bank !!!
    Hahahahaha. He has faced nobody that could beat him yet though. When he gets to the 4th round then we will see what he is really like, Djocko still favourite

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Hahahahaha. He has faced nobody that could beat him yet though. When he gets to the 4th round then we will see what he is really like, Djocko still favourite

Negative

Had no idea Dave Taylor was back coaching Stosur. Never understood why they split, work well together imo.

Gasquet was in great form earlier!! Pity he can't keep it up all the time. His backhand is a beaut when it's firing!

• Advertisement

Negative
    Look up both the odds and how Djockovic has played on clay this year. He is more than able to go 5 sets with Nadal aswell. It will be interesting to see how Nadal does against Murray in the quarters should they both get there.

Look up both the odds and how Djockovic has played on clay this year. He is more than able to go 5 sets with Nadal aswell. It will be interesting to see how Nadal does against Murray in the quarters should they both get there.

I'd love it if Nadal beats Djokovic in the quarters then loses to Murray!:p

RosyLily wrote: »
    I'd love it if Nadal beats Djokovic in the quarters then loses to Murray!:p
    Yeah, I got the draws wrong. That will be a tough game so if Murray gets past Ferrer easily enough (3 or 4 sets) you'd give him the slight edge, he is playing well on clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

Enjoyable comeback from Monfils! 2 sets to 1 down and 4 games to 1 behind in the fourth. Really got the home crowd going. He could make life tough for Federer although you're never quite sure which Monfils is going to turn up.

Enjoyable comeback from Monfils! 2 sets to 1 down and 4 games to 1 behind in the fourth. Really got the home crowd going. He could make life tough for Federer although you're never quite sure which Monfils is going to turn up.

Monfils is an idiot and will never achieve anything of note because he'd rather "entertain" the crowd than play efficient tennis for a full match. He's once again played an unnecessarily exhausting 5 set match at a ridiculously early stage of a slam. He'll lose in straights in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

Monfils is an idiot and will never achieve anything of note because he'd rather "entertain" the crowd than play efficient tennis for a full match. He's once again played an unnecessarily exhausting 5 set match at a ridiculously early stage of a slam. He'll lose in straights in the next round.

Absolutely agree that he doesn't play efficient tennis but he isn't going to change now. Most of the time you want to shout at him to play aggressively but he always reverts to a passive style.

Tournament starting to warm up now, a lot of the seeds have gotten through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Murray whingeing already, 5 games in. Kyrgios putting the unforced error counter into overdrive and does a brilliant tweeter lob. Could be interesting this morning.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Murray whingeing already, 5 games in. Kyrgios putting the unforced error counter into overdrive and does a brilliant tweeter lob. Could be interesting this morning.
    Easy enough in the end for him. Delighted he is through! Chardy and then Ferrer followed by Djocko or Nadal in the semis should he beat Ferrer. Man Federer got lucky with the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think kokkinakas is the better player. Kyrgios has some big shots but he is nowhere near as steady as kokkinakas.

Dying for this nadal/djokovic quarter final. Jack Sock might make it a bit difficult for Nadal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Serena levels at a set all. Aza should have had this wrapped up.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I think kokkinakas is the better player. Kyrgios has some big shots but he is nowhere near as steady as kokkinakas.

Dying for this nadal/djokovic quarter final. Jack Sock might make it a bit difficult for Nadal.

Sock will be tricky, but its a monumental effort to ask him to beat Rafa in five on clay sadly.

Kokkinakas I think may have better all round court game than Nickk, but Kyrigos at Wimbledon could cause carnage, which I don't see Kokkinakas doing.

• Advertisement

Means nothing, last year his form on clay was iffy too and Djokovic was flying ... he beat him in 4 in the final.

Done deal .

Rafa 2015 FO Champion.

At least I got money on it at 3.5/1 ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Means nothing, last year his form on clay was iffy too and Djokovic was flying ... he beat him in 4 in the final.

Done deal .

Rafa 2015 FO Champion.

At least I got money on it at 3.5/1 ....

Sock at 33-1 to win in straight sets. No brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in relation to Monfils and Federer tomorrow! Thoroughly enjoyed those two sets! Looking forward to tomorrow, Nadal v Sock and Sharapova v Safarova have the potential to be great matches as well.

Sharapova gone. Lost 7-6, 6-4 to Safarova. Really good match from Lucie, but some terrible serving from Maria.

Serena's to lose now I think. She's not playing that great but she's grinding it out. I'd like to see someone else lift the title though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Disappointed for Sharapova, but if I had to choose someone to upset her along the way I'd have settled for Lucie, really nice girl.

Now one of Ivanovic, Svitolina, Muguruza or Safarova will make the final! You could make a case for either one of them, but I think it may be Muguruza's time to shine.

Eurosport showing Errani-Gorges over Serena-Sloane. Yeah, ok :rolleyes:

Eurosport showing Errani-Gorges over Serena-Sloane. Yeah, ok :rolleyes:

European channel showing two European players over two Americans, hardly surprising.

Serena/Sloane are on Setanta Ireland if you've got that channel.

Cause Europeans would rather watch this match? :confused:

Nice competitive match between Nadal and Sock here.

Nice competitive match between Nadal and Sock here.

6-3 5-1 ???
    Competitive ??
    Just give Nadal the trophy now for fûcks sake and let's move on to proper tennis season ...

• Advertisement

6-3 5-1 ???
    Competitive ??
    Just give Nadal the trophy now for fûcks sake and let's move on to proper tennis season ...

I was being slightly sarcastic

Nadal-Djokovic quarter final is set.

If Djokovic doesn't beat Nadal this week then he probably never will at RG. Sadly I'm expecting a Nadal win. Hope I'm wrong though.

As for Petra losing, can't say I'm too surprised. On paper it looks like it would take a miracle for Serena not to win the women's title, but you never know. I think an inspired Muguruza could take her out, but it'd be a big ask in a grand slam final.

Why do tomorrow's QF's have to clash with each other :(

Congrats RAFA Nadal french open champ 2015
    No let's move on to grass court season ...

I'd love it if the likes of Muguruza or Svitolina won. Would be a great boost for the women's game, especially if they take out Serena in the final.

Looking forward to Nishikori-Tsonga match. Both playing really well but I think Kei will win.

I think Muguruza is who I'm rooting for now, although I think if she were to win RG she'd completely flop for the rest of the year. I mean, despite being top 20 she still flies relatively under the radar. How would she cope with being thrust into the spotlight? Only one way to find out I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Why are people thinking Nadal will and not Djokovic?

I think Muguruza is who I'm rooting for now, although I think if she were to win RG she'd completely flop for the rest of the year. I mean, despite being top 20 she still flies relatively under the radar. How would she cope with being thrust into the spotlight? Only one way to find out I guess.

Agreed, totally on the Gabby bandwagon as well, to be fair she was tipped as a dark horse by many for this due to her run last year.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Why are people thinking Nadal will and not Djokovic?

He owns this tournament, Djokovic has failed at beating him before here
    and there is no reason this time will be different, the only time Nadal will not win at RG is when he retires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

He owns this tournament, Djokovic has failed at beating him before here
    and there is no reason this time will be different, the only time Nadal will not win at RG is when he retires.

Put money on him then! Djokovic is hot, hot favourite with the bookies.

I'm not sure it'll change the outcome but it's interesting they're meeting at such an early stage, relatively speaking. Neither one has been tested at all yet.

I'm not sure it'll change the outcome but it's interesting they're meeting at such an early stage, relatively speaking. Neither one has been tested at all yet.

Gasquet had break point in the second game of the first set after holding in the first game. :P

dinneenp wrote: »
    Put money on him then! Djokovic is hot, hot favourite with the bookies.

I have money on him outright, which is a shame cos I got him at 3.5/1, I see on bwin now he is 4.85/1 .... :(

Bizarre really that his odds have lengthened despite being 3 matches (1 really) away from the title ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can't recall a tastier QF draw at RG! Really exciting matches and potential matches awaiting the semis and final.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

walshb wrote: »
    I can't recall a tastier QF draw at RG! Really exciting matches and potential matches awaiting the semis and final.

Perfect draw apart from Berdych going out earlier. Going to be an interesting week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Perfect apart from Berdych going out earlier. Going to be an interesting week.

Yes its interesting to see that in the mens side of the draw 7 out of the top 8 seeds have made it through to the quarter finals, whereas in the womens only two of the top 8 made it that far. I guess the men are more consistent.

Also am shocked to see so many empty seats at some of the matches!

What are the other QF men line up ?

What are the other QF men line up ?

Nishikori v Tsonga
    Wawrinka v Roger

and

Novak v Rafa

Ferrer v Murray

Yes its interesting to see that in the mens side of the draw 7 out of the top 8 seeds have made it through to the quarter finals, whereas in the womens only two of the top 8 made it that far. I guess the men are more consistent.

Also am shocked to see so many empty seats at some of the matches!

The French crowds can be very small at times, last year for the gulbis v novak semi final, about 25 % full. I'd like them to move with the times as well and get a roof and hawkeye, Safarova copped some stinkers already.

The men side has been dull, and totally overshadowed by the girls, very predictable and even Tsonga beating Berdych wasn't a huge shock when you remember Berdych had a poor back.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Nishikori v Tsonga
    Wawrinka v Roger

and

Novak v Rafa

Ferrer v Murray

They are nice matches ... be funny if Nadal bet Djokovic and lost against Murray or Nishikori ... :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement