Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Open 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The French crowds can be very small at times, last year for the gulbis v novak semi final, about 25 % full. I'd like them to move with the times as well and get a roof and hawkeye, Safarova copped some stinkers already.

Hawkeye doesn't work on clay accurately enough to use it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes its interesting to see that in the mens side of the draw 7 out of the top 8 seeds have made it through to the quarter finals, whereas in the womens only two of the top 8 made it that far. I guess the men are more consistent.

Also am shocked to see so many empty seats at some of the matches!

The best of 3 format has a lot to do with this though.

Anyway, was expecting an Ivanovic win but wasn't expecting it to be quite so straightforward. Delighted for her. First grand slam semi-final in seven years. That's a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

It shows that outside of the top 8/10 on the mens' side that there is a drop off in standard. Gulbis going deep last year was a one off! Seeing the top players at the later stages gives some great matches. The Swiss match has the potential to be top class and everyone is waiting for the "final" tomorrow.

On the womens' side, I think Safarova would give Serena a better match in the final (assuming she gets there) but it must be a great chance for Serena to win another slam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Safarova vs. Ivanovic SF. Good match from Lucie. Tbh, I was expecting her to be flat after her win over Maria. She was a bit at the start but kept improving. She leads the H2H against Ana 5-3 but they've split their matches on clay (1 win each).

Surprised to see Tsonga win the first set against Nishikori.

Delighted for Lucie, really nice girl who fully deserves it. I think she'll make the final and all, she's pretty much owned Ana in recent times. Not sure how much of a fight she'd put up against Serena though, she's 0-8 against her :o

Bit of the stadium just fell into the crowd. Don't think anyone's been seriously injured but could have been much worse.

3 people have minor injuries apparently. They were very lucky!

I'm surprised by Nishikori; doesn't look himself out there. Tsonga playing so well though! He's been quietly going through the draw. Imagine if he reached the final! I'd like to see that....purely to see how the French crowd would treat his opponent.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

RosyLily wrote: »
    3 people have minor injuries apparently. They were very lucky!

I'm surprised by Nishikori; doesn't look himself out there. Tsonga playing so well though! He's been quietly going through the draw. Imagine if he reached the final! I'd like to see that....purely to see how the French crowd would treat his opponent.:pac:

Would probably get a full statium for that one!

Would probably get a full statium for that one!

Absolutely! I can imagine the French crowd might be a bit obnoxious if one of their own reached the final.

I remember Tsonga very nearly beating Djokovic a couple of years ago at RG, not sure was it a QF or SF. Atmosphere was electric but he couldn't close it out in the end.

• Advertisement

I remember that. 2012 I think. He played so, so well! Came very close to winning it. Didn't he have match point at one stage?

What a display from Wawrinka!!

I remember that. 2012 I think. He played so, so well! Came very close to winning it. Didn't he have match point at one stage?

I believe he had 4 match points :(

I believe he had 4 match points :(

Jesus, I thought it was one or two.:( Gotta find it online and watch.

According to Radio RG, Safarova will make her top 10 debut when the new rankings come out.:)

He had 4 :(

Delighted for Stan! Think he'll reach he final now. So cool having a new finalist.

Nishikori took the 3rd set. Comeback imminent?

Surely the momentum is with Nishikori now in the decider.

Safe to say Nishikori has done a much better job of backing up his surprise US Open final last year than Cilic has.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What a display from Wawrinka!!

Unbelievable how hard he was hitting that ball, no matter what way the wind was blowing. His backhand is immense. Dangerous if he gets into the final.

• Advertisement

Fantastic from Tsonga to come through. He overpowered Nishikori. Wawrinka will be a different story.

Not to sound like a horrible person but it would be hilarious if Djokovic finally beat Nadal at RG but then still didn't win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Not to sound like a horrible person but it would be hilarious if Djokovic finally beat Nadal at RG but then still didn't win it.

This is quite possible, ironic might be a better word than hilarious however. After all, the last person to beat rafa there went home with a plate rather than a flowerpot...

Djokovic should win tomorrow with a bit to spare, even giving Rafa the 10% bump he seems to get out of the ether in Paris, he hasn't consistently elevated his game so far this year. Djokovic is playing possibly his best tennis ever, and it if he loses it will be because of a brain freeze on his part.

Can't wait for it!

Nishikori looks like he will always eventually get overpowered by the powerful hitters in a 5 setter, which doesn't bode well with a few coming up behind him...

Wawrinka can dominate behind a second serve better than anyone I have ever seen, his first serve % today was at times at a crazy low level but Federer couldn't get near it.

Not horrible at all, I'm thinking the same thing. Would probably one of the most ironic things to happen in tennis. And I'd kinda love if it did. As lostcat said, last man to beat Nadal didn't win RG. Finishing runner-up again will not be good enough for Nole.

Wawrinka is playing inspired tennis! Hopefully he can keep it up and reach the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I have to admit, I would kinda love that to happen in a twisted way! Would love fore either Tsonga or Wawrinka to beat him in the final! Tsonga couldn't do it I don't think though.

I couldn't even imagine his reaction if that happened...

WaterLily. wrote: »
    I have to admit, I would kinda love that to happen in a twisted way! Would love fore either Tsonga or Wawrinka to beat him in the final! Tsonga couldn't do it I don't think though.

I couldn't even imagine his reaction if that happened...

Tsonga's been in a slam final before though, so maybe the nerves wouldn't get to him. French crowd aren't overly fond of Rafa anyway even though he wins the thing every year. They definitely wouldn't be on his side if he was playing a French player. Only problem there is that the French players don't always react well to the support, they're delicate little things, those Frenchies. :D

• Advertisement

The crowd would be so boisterous if Tsonga reached the final, especially if Nadal is there too. They don't seem too fond of Djokovic either or at least that's how it seems to me. They can't get enough of Federer!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I just knew Stan would beat Roger on the bigger 5 set stage. I knew it.

I am rooting for Nadal today for the first time against Nole!

I want Murray to win the FO. If not him then Nadal.

walshb wrote:
    I want Murray to win the FO. If not him then Nadal.

Me too would love to see Murray win!

I might be in the minority here but I'd like to see Djokovic complete the set of Grand Slams. If Nadal doesn't manage to come through today he will go even lower in the rankings and will find it even harder to get back to the highest levels. It is undoubtedly a crucial day for him.

Me too would love to see Murray win!

Same here! Shake things up.

Slightly off topic but, Li Na and Dennis welcomed baby Alisa today. Hope her speeches are as good as Li's!:pac:

• Advertisement

I might be in the minority here but I'd like to see Djokovic complete the set of Grand Slams. If Nadal doesn't manage to come through today he will go even lower in the rankings and will find it even harder to get back to the highest levels. It is undoubtedly a crucial day for him.

It'd be interesting to see where Nadal would be in the rankings the past few years without the constant of the RG points there. He'd still be in or around the top 4, I'm sure, but it'd be interesting to see exactly where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

It'd be interesting to see where Nadal would be in the rankings the past few years without the constant of the RG points there. He'd still be in or around the top 4, I'm sure, but it'd be interesting to see exactly where.
    Well if he loses today he will definitely drop to 10th, 11th if Tsonga makes the final. That's scary like!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Well if he loses today he will definitely drop to 10th, 11th if Tsonga makes the final. That's scary like!

Exactly. While Murray managed to come back from a similar position it required him to play for many consecutive weeks and you wonder if Nadal's body would be able for that. This could all be moot if he makes it through today and wins the whole thing!

Exactly. While Murray managed to come back from a similar position it required him to play for many consecutive weeks and you wonder if Nadal's body would be able for that. This could all be moot if he makes it through today and wins the whole thing!

Especially given that bar a few weeks of grass it's all hard courts for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think all the pressure is on Djokovic today. He needs to stand up and be counted. He will never get a better chance to beat Nadal at the French open than today. Cant wait for the match.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I think all the pressure is on Djokovic today. He needs to stand up and be counted. He will never get a better chance to beat Nadal at the French open than today. Cant wait for the match.

Yes definitely getting the popcorn out for this afternoon. I will be trying to watch both mens qf matches at the same time. Should be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yes definitely getting the popcorn out for this afternoon. I will be trying to watch both mens qf matches at the same time. Should be good!

Ah I reckon that wont be much of a problem. Serena will destroy Errani in about an hour so the Djokovic/Nadal match will be half way over by the time the Murray/Ferrer match starts.

Am I the only one that hates watching Ferrer matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Djokovic destroying Nadal so far, 4-0. Hitting so deep and then throwing in the drop shot - magnificent play! Nadal needs to start hitting deeper and more consistently to have any chance of getting back into the match.

Good stuff from Nadal now, from 0-4 to 3-4. Looks to be moving better as well. Some silly mistakes from Djokovic though.

Is that Gasquet in the crowd??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Congrats Nadal ... FO champion 2015 ... Joke ... really cant wait for this guy to retire.

• Advertisement

I'm kind of surprised how much crowd support there is for Nadal. Much louder than previous years.

Backing the underdog perhaps?

I'm kind of surprised how much crowd support there is for Nadal. Much louder than previous years.

Backing the underdog perhaps?

underdog ????

UNDERDOG ???

I would literally put my life on him winning the tournament ...

Terrible stuff from Djokovic to give both those breaks back. Embarrassing.

the_monkey wrote: »
    underdog ????

UNDERDOG ???

I would literally put my life on him winning the tournament ...

Rafa's not the most popular guy in Paris. The French always seem to back the underdog.

As for putting your life on him winning the tournament....don't count your chickens just yet. Still a long way to go.

Rafa's not the most popular guy in Paris. The French always seem to back the underdog.

As for putting your life on him winning the tournament....don't count your chickens just yet. Still a long way to go.

Talk to you Sunday ... its done.

how many f*cking set points does Djokovic need ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Watching Ferrer is absolute death.

The most boring player on the circuit

**** off and retire soon please.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Watching Ferrer is absolute death.

The most boring player on the circuit

**** off and retire soon please.

Watching Ferrer play is like watching someone smashing concrete ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

the_monkey wrote: »
    Watching Ferrer play is like watching someone smashing concrete ...

He is a fantastic role model, because he has made the most of his talents, compare to idiots like gulbis and monfils who have probably more talent but achieved pretty much nothing, but I just find him so dull to watch. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I wouldnt be Nadal's biggest fan but its sad to see how injuries have debilitated him.
    He looks like a shadow of himself out there .

Advertisement