Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Open 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

2 sets up now. Bye Rafa....hopefully :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seeing as its related to the French open.....http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/32944718
    What a terrible way to lose your best years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I wouldnt be Nadal's biggest fan but its sad to see how injuries have debilitated him.
    He looks like a shadow of himself out there .

Are both Nadal and Djokovic both really loud today?? More than usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

whiterebel wrote: »
    Seeing as its related to the French open.....http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/32944718
    What a terrible way to lose your best years.

You know I was only wondering the other day what ever happened Soderling.
    Poor guy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Are both Nadal and Djokovic both really loud today?? More than usual?

Not sure it's more than usual, they're always loud. Ferrer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

5 years is an incredibly long time to be sick with fever. It's an awful illness. Robbed Robin of his best years. Glad to see he wants to return to tennis next year.

He replied to a tweet of mine once!:D

Djokovic looks to be on his way to the SFs. Can't see Nadal coming back from 2 sets down.

RosyLily wrote: »
    5 years is an incredibly long time to be sick with fever. It's an awful illness. Robbed Robin of his best years. Glad to see he wants to return to tennis next year.

He replied to a tweet of mine once!:D

Djokovic looks to be on his way to the SFs. Can't see Nadal coming back from 2 sets down.

So whats gone wrong with Nadal ?

Is it all down to injuries,the knees,back ?

Or is he just getting older and at 29 years of age no longer able to play the same superhuman physical style of tennis he did when a much younger fitter man ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

So whats gone wrong with Nadal ?

Is it all down to injuries,the knees,back ?

Or is he just getting older and at 29 years of age no longer able to play the same superhuman physical style of tennis he did when a much younger fitter man ?

He may be 29, but his body is much much older, he plays a tough tough hard game and he's burnt out basically...

He should take some time off and maybe he can win some 1000 clay events ...

Think Nadal will drop to 11 in the ATP rankings on Monday ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

the_monkey wrote: »
    He may be 29, but his body is much much older, he plays a tough tough hard game and he's burnt out basically...

He should take some time off and maybe he can win some 1000 clay events ...

Why the hate? Not his fault he's the greatest player on clay of all time.

• Advertisement

I agree with the_monkey. He may be 29 but his body is probably 5 or 6 years older - if not more. You can't play his style of tennis for so long and not have it take its toll. Nadal looks less muscular than he did in the past. I could really see it today in his legs...almost Federer-skinny.

He needs a really long break, come back and play less tournaments. I can see him playing the bare minimum hard-court events during the US swing. Can't see him surpassing Federer's Major record now.

MikeSD wrote: »
    Why the hate? Not his fault he's the greatest player on clay of all time.

Absolutely he is the greatest clay player of all time... , I would say hate is strong a word .. just found it frustrating that he dominated this tournament for so long .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Didn't think Nadal played too badly today, still probably the 2nd best clay-courter in the world and will be a threat when Djokovic is not at such an awesome level.

Think Nadal will drop to 11 in the ATP rankings on Monday ..

Yes that will make the Wimbledon seedings very interesting. I wonder if they will move him up the list? It would be hard to justify based on recent form.

Yes that will make the Wimbledon seedings very interesting. I wonder if they will move him up the list? It would be hard to justify based on recent form.

Yeah, it's not like he excels on grass either. He's lost early there quite a few times.

Can't see Wimbledon moving him up. He hasn't reached the final there since 2011. Players might be put-out if he was moved.

Edit: 5-0 Murray in the 4th set! Some really good tennis from him.

Murray doing a Sharapova on clay this year. Where's it come from? Who cares!

5-1 now with Murray up to serve. Can he beat Djokovic??

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I know it's awful but I really really don't want Djokovic to win on Sunday :( He's completely dominating men's tennis at the moment and it's so dull him sweeping up everything. I know Rafa has completely dominated this tournament but it's one slam, I'd like to see someone else win it, just not Djokovic.

Also, to me this is reminiscent of when Federer had his decline, everyone immediately started writing him off, saying he was finished, he'd won his last slam, his ranking was just going to plummet. Although Nadal looks pretty exhausted and fatigued I don't think he is finished, definitely not, everytime people write him off he bounces back. I just think it will take him a little longer this time and like Federer he won't quite get back to his peak best.

Go Murray!! First time to beat Ferrer on clay. Still unbeaten on it this year.:)

• Advertisement

Oh I hope so!!! I'm not sure if it's a step too far though...

WaterLily. wrote: »
    I know it's awful but I really really don't want Djokovic to win on Sunday :( He's completely dominating men's tennis at the moment and it's so dull him sweeping up everything. I know Rafa has completely dominated this tournament but it's one slam, I'd like to see someone else win it, just not Djokovic.

Also, to me this is reminiscent of when Federer had his decline, everyone immediately started writing him off, saying he was finished, he'd won his last slam, his ranking was just going to plummet. Although Nadal looks pretty exhausted and fatigued I don't think he is finished, definitely not, everytime people write him off he bounces back. I just think it will take him a little longer this time and like Federer he won't quite get back to his peak best.

Yes but Federer has not really suffered any of the major injuries that Nadal has in recent years. He has had several long breaks mainly due to problems with his knees.

Same. And I usually like Djokovic. But I'd like to see any of the other 3 players win it for a change.

Oh I hope so!!! I'm not sure if it's a step too far though...

I dunno. Djokovic was beaten by Federer in 2011 when he looked unstoppable. It's not impossible imo.

I honestly believe I'd have as much chance of beating Djokovic as Murray ,i.e none :)

Yes but Federer has not really suffered any of the major injuries that Nadal has in recent years. He has had several long breaks mainly due to problems with his knees.

Yeah I do realise that and obviously it is a factor, but his knees aren't the issue at the moment (as far as we know) there is no strapping or tape to suggest that they are causing him problems.

As someone else said (sorry can't remember who) he is looking a lot thinner and just generally exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

Wawrinka and Murray have won slams already. Of the other three I would like to see Tsonga win for a change!

With Nadal's physical problems it is harder to maintain his game and is not comparable to Federer's situation. If you take the clay court dominance from Nadal he drops a lot and he will always be vulnerable on a hard court. I wonder if some of his problems are motivational but no evidence to back that up.

Could see Djokovic and Murray dominate tennis for the next 4/5 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Best I've seen Murray on clay there, and id argue as good a match as he's played in a while. Never stopped trying to attack, despite some setbacks which tells me his mentality is good, looked like the player lendl coached a couple of years ago.

Think it could be fairly close on friday but would expect Djokovic to do it over 4 or three tight sets.

Yeah I do realise that and obviously it is a factor, but his knees aren't the issue at the moment (as far as we know) there is no strapping or tape to suggest that they are causing him problems.

As someone else said (sorry can't remember who) he is looking a lot thinner and just generally exhausted.

Nadal's head is all over the place at the moment and he's lost a lot of confidence in his technique. The final he played against murray illustrated it, missing one forehand miles long and missing the very next forehand hitting the bottom of the net, it was bizarre to watch.

• Advertisement

With Nadal's physical problems it is harder to maintain his game and is not comparable to Federer's situation. If you take the clay court dominance from Nadal he drops a lot and he will always be vulnerable on a hard court. I wonder if some of his problems are motivational but no evidence to back that up.

Thats true ,his technique isnt as good as Federer so he relies on his power and pace alot more but those are inevitably fading as he gets older.

I wouldnt write him off yet but generally that style of player struggles once they reach their late 20's .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Neither Murray or Djockovic has ever looked this good on clay. It is going to be a fantastic semi-final I still believe Djocko will beat Murray but I don't think it will be one-sided at all. I would love to see Murray beat him though but Wimbledon or the US Open was always going to be Murray's targets for slams this year.

Enjoy his level of play now because it won't be long before he declines like Rafa and Roger as illustrated below

That's some quality tennis in that video ,the ball is really motoring around the court.
    The courts this week look way slower.

It must have been very frustrating for Federer knowing that almost every shot from Nadal was directed to his backhand .
    Neither Murray or Djockovic has ever looked this good on clay.
    I'd say the really slow courts at Roland Garros are a big factor in that .
    There is unlikely to be a player on tour who can hit Djokovic off the court in slow conditions.

That's some quality tennis in that video ,the ball is really motoring around the court.
    The courts this week look way slower.

It must have been very frustrating for Federer knowing that almost every shot from Nadal was directed to his backhand .

I'd say the really slow courts at Roland Garros are a big factor in that .
    There is unlikely to be a player on tour who can hit Djokovic off the court in slow conditions.

If murray hits as aggressive consistent as he did today and doesn't get into one of his big match funks he has a live chance on Friday. Although he needs the first set, think his record against djokovic is atrocious when dropping the first.

Same. And I usually like Djokovic. But I'd like to see any of the other 3 players win it for a change.

But if Djokovic wins it he has made history, he joins that elite club of winning all the slams - plus 1st man since Jim Courier to win the French and Australian in the same year.

Anyway, it´s a big if, Murray is a tough opponent ..

Nah, very different, Federers game is a lot less strenous then Nadals,
    Federers age is his true age, Nadals is a little more from all the wear and tear.

Plus I think since Federers "decline" he only won 2 slams ?

Aus 2010 and Wimbledon 2012 ?

I know I had been saying Nadal would surely win this, but I did think he would up his game, win a 10th FO and then retire ... to go out on a high, cos I think by FO 2016 he´ll be even more worn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted for Murray. I just hope he doesn't fold against Nole, because if he goes out there to try and dominate and really win, then he stands an excellent chance. If he in any way over defensive and happy to compete he will be well beaten. Needs to attack Nole on every point!

I'm not saying their physical decline has anything in common, all that's similar is the fact that so many people are writing him off just like they did Federer at the end of 2013. I just wouldn't be so quick to rule him out entirely. Also I think people forget that the reason his ranking has dropped so dramatically is that the only points had had from last year were from January to June after Rolland Garros all he has to defend is a 4th round at Wimbledon and 1 or 2 more matches.

Just my 2 cents anyway! :) I could be wrong... I just hope I'm not!

In terms of Murray, I think he has a real shot if he plays really aggressively and doesn't dip his level like he has in his previous couple of matches. He also needs to make sure that he doesn't let Novak get into his head and stay calm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

The crowd would be so boisterous if Tsonga reached the final, especially if Nadal is there too. They don't seem too fond of Djokovic either or at least that's how it seems to me. They can't get enough of Federer!!:)
    French crowd aren't overly fond of Rafa anyway even though he wins the thing every year. They definitely wouldn't be on his side if he was playing a French player.
    Also am shocked to see so many empty seats at some of the matches!
    Rafa's not the most popular guy in Paris. The French always seem to back the underdog.

Roland Garros crowd have always been an embarrassment for my country as long as I can remember (say from late 80ies time). Too many VIPs, too many celeb showing them off, too many "cool people enjoying THE place to be seen in" etc... etc...
    Actually Wawrinka said it frankly about his semi vs Tsonga. Something along the lines that he was happier to play the Philippe Chatrier than the Suzanne Lenglen since with the huge amount of VIPs the court is not that loud and hostile to foreigners.

About Nadal, I'll add that, for this Bobo poshy crowd, the fact he never seemed to make an effort to speak a bit of French (bar the last couple of years) played its part too. Novak understood that and he's now joking in French in his interviews.

And about backing the underdog it's a bit of a French disease for it to be that strong (though the likes of Teddy Riner, Renaud Lavillenie, Martin Fourcade... and our national handball team help the country to progress on that :p) :rolleyes:...

---

Finally, I thought the standing ovation for Rafa yesterday was a bit lukewarm at best. It's beyond me how a tennis crowd could not appreciate what a champion he is, particularly in Roland Garros. I thought it would have been a nice gesture from them to sing "Feliz cumpleaños a ti Rafa" for his birthday. Ah well, Rafa was very classy in his post match interview when he thanked the crowd for the great support...
    I would literally put my life on him winning the tournament ...
    Talk to you Sunday ... its done.
    Hope you have a good life insurance :p :pac:...

iroced wrote: »
    About Nadal, I'll add that, for this Bobo poshy crowd, the fact he never seemed to make an effort to speak a bit of French (bar the last couple of years) played its part too. Novak understood that and he's now joking in French in his interviews.

Yeah, it always struck me as a bit rude... if that's the right word, that Rafa never bothered even trying to speak a bit of French. I remember when Sharapova won 3 years ago she tried a bit and the crowd loved it even though it was very basic. Rafa's been winning there for 10 years, how hard would it have been for him to string a few lines together.

I know you could probably argue that they play in so many different countries can they really be expected to speak all the languages but RG is the only Slam in a non English speaking country so I think it's a bit of an exception.

I'm not saying their physical decline has anything in common, all that's similar is the fact that so many people are writing him off just like they did Federer at the end of 2013. I just wouldn't be so quick to rule him out entirely. Also I think people forget that the reason his ranking has dropped so dramatically is that the only points had had from last year were from January to June after Rolland Garros all he has to defend is a 4th round at Wimbledon and 1 or 2 more matches.

Just my 2 cents anyway! :) I could be wrong... I just hope I'm not!

In terms of Murray, I think he has a real shot if he plays really aggressively and doesn't dip his level like he has in his previous couple of matches. He also needs to make sure that he doesn't let Novak get into his head and stay calm!!

Sure , good points - but what slams has Federer won since 2013 ?

He has done very well, #2 ranking, some 1000 masters titles , but for a 17 slam winner it doesn't do him justice, I'd love to see him win one more slam ... #18 imagine it ... and then retires on such a high .

(and then spend some f*cking time with his kids) :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Yeah, it always struck me as a bit rude... if that's the right word, that Rafa never bothered even trying to speak a bit of French. I remember when Sharapova won 3 years ago she tried a bit and the crowd loved it even though it was very basic. Rafa's been winning there for 10 years, how hard would it have been for him to string a few lines together.
    It's true that something like "je suis très content" "ce tournoi est très spécial pour moi" "merci beaucoup" wouldn't have been something crazy hard to remember and would definitely have put at least a part of the crowd on his side.

I don't know why he never bothered before these last couple of years. His agressive style on the court was not loved in Paris, especially that he was beating the "local" hero Federer (how pathetic, sometimes the crowd was cheering him more than his French opponent :rolleyes:). I always assumed (though I'm convinced, if ever true, it was a huge mistake from him and something Novak quickly understood for example) that he didn't bother because he didn't feel loved or at least appreciated there. I remember him saying, after his first defeat in RG to Robin Soderling that he'd love to get once the cheers the Swede had on that day. I also remember Yannick Noah insinuating that he and most Spanish players were doped.

Ah well, the irony is if he continues to struggle, doesn't win next year but comes back in 2 or 3 years and gets his Decima, I'm sure he'll be cheered like he never was :rolleyes:...

I guess Toni Nadal should have shown him this video more often

Both Brugera & Courier became "local" heroes after that legendary final.
    Courier stating that in the precedent year final he spoke French like a spanish cow (it's an old expression meaning your French is bad) and today he lost against a spanish cow :p :pac: before saying "no it's not funny well done Sergi". Legendary RG moment.

Even Murray gave it the old "Merci beaucoup" yesterday. It wasn't the most French-y but the crowd loved it!

Women's semi-finals today. Serena vs Timea and Ana vs. Lucie. Probably gonna be a Williams-Ivanovic final but who knows!! Mixed doubles final will be after the women. Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Mike Bryan are through...can't remember who they play.

Bryan brothers into another Major final. Just defeated Fognini and Bolelli in straights.

Even Murray gave it the old "Merci beaucoup" yesterday. It wasn't the most French-y but the crowd loved it!

Women's semi-finals today. Serena vs Timea and Ana vs. Lucie. Probably gonna be a Williams-Ivanovic final but who knows!! Mixed doubles final will be after the women. Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Mike Bryan are through...can't remember who they play.

I think Lucie might just get the job done against Ivanovic.

Serena looking for her 20th slam !! :eek:

Gotta be a record yeah ?

Serena looking for her 20th slam !! :eek:

Gotta be a record yeah ?

Nope.

Holy sh*t ....

1 Margaret Court 24
    2 Steffi Graf 22
    3 Helen Wills Moody 19
    = Serena Williams 19

Serena has maybe caught the plague from Sharapova. She should still win today. She's lucky she got this match up though and not one of the other two. They'll be hoping she's still sick for the final.

Ivanovic just flopped away a 5-2 lead to lose the first set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ivanovic just flopped away a 5-2 lead to lose the first set.

The last person you'd expect to do that.:D

Will bbc show on TV the djokovic murray semi ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement