Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Open 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Safarova's route to the final..... Pavlyuchenkova, Nara, Lisicki, Sharapova, Muguruza, Ivanovic. All in straight sets. That ain't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Could be interesting this semi if Serena as ill as people who seen her warm up suggested.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Will bbc show on TV the djokovic murray semi ?

ITV4/Eurosport will show both semi finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Rjd2 wrote: »
    ITV4/Eurosport will show both semi finals.

Does itv4 stream online for UK users ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Bacsinszky won the first 6-4. Williams just took the second 6-3....not her best but Timea racked up the errors to help her through it.

Serena's movement between points is very laboured and slow. Must have a bad dose.

Does itv4 stream online for UK users ?

Yes it does. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Bacsinszky is gifting Serena points in errors. She made an absolute mess of the first game of the third set. Two sitters - hits one into the net and another wide.

Serena doesn't look right though. Relying a lot on her serve.

Ugh, Timea really went away that final set. Had high hopes after she won the first and went up a break in the second. I hope Lucie and her coach kept a close eye on that match. Mix of how to play Serena and how to get bashed by Serena.

Williams close to tears at times ?
    What's up with her ?

• Advertisement

Williams close to tears at times ?
    What's up with her ?

She's always like that when she's not winning. Even when she's not sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

She's always like that when she's not winning. Even when she's not sick.

Can't stand Serena. She is a drama queen whether she is winning or loosing.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Can't stand Serena. She is a drama queen king whether she is winning or loosing.

fyp .. :p

Really hope Lucie wins on Saturday! I'm a Steffi fan so I don't want Serena to break her record.:mad::pac:

RosyLily wrote: »
    Really hope Lucie wins on Saturday! I'm a Steffi fan so I don't want Serena to break her record.:mad::pac:

Same.

It's scary to think she could actually do it by September if she felt like it.

Same.

It's scary to think she could actually do it by September if she felt like it.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have a sneaky feeling that Stan can win this title. He seems to be getting into his groove and peaking at the right time. His powerful ground-strokes will be hell for either man in the other semi.

Love to see Murray do it. It's his mental game that lets him down. He gets far too frustrated when he hits a bad patch in a match. More so against the elite players like Nole.

Big day today ... really hope Djokovic can do it.

walshb wrote: »
    I have a sneaky feeling that Stan can win this title. He seems to be getting into his groove and peaking at the right time. His powerful ground-strokes will be hell for either man in the other semi.

Love to see Murray do it. It's his mental game that lets him down. He gets far too frustrated when he hits a bad patch in a match. More so against the elite players like Nole.

Writing Tsonga off ?

Writing Tsonga off ?

No. I think Tsonga has the capability on his day to beat all three semi finalists. I just think it's happening for Stan at the moment. I think he will be that bit more clinical and efficient. Unforced errors will hurt Tsonga

BTW, anyone see Tsonga's baseline drop shot winner against Nishikori? One of the smoothest and coolest and greatest shots I have ever seen.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/06/22/Roland-Garros-Tuesday-Hot-Shots-Tsonga-Wawrinka.aspx

No. I think Tsonga has the capability on his day to beat all three semi finalists. I just think it's happening for Stan at the moment. I think he will be that bit more clinical and efficient. Unforced errors will hurt Tsonga

BTW, anyone see Tsonga's baseline drop shot winner against Nishikori? One of the smoothest and coolest and greatest shots I have ever seen.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/06/22/Roland-Garros-Tuesday-Hot-Shots-Tsonga-Wawrinka.aspx

Beautiful .. absolutely infuriating to be a victim of a shot like that though .. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I've been a Djokovic fan for years so have been hoping for him to win this title for years. However I would probably be happy if any of them won it, Tsonga has been really entertaining over the years and it would be amazing to see him win at home, though I would say he is probably the least likely to win it.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Murray over the years but after reading this interview http://www.redbulletin.com/int/en/sports/andy-murray-i-have-opened-my-mind-0 about his relationship with Mauresmo I have to say I really admire his stance and it would be pretty groundbreaking for a female coach to guide a male player to a Grand Slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I haven't been the biggest fan of Murray over the years but after reading this interview http://www.redbulletin.com/int/en/sports/andy-murray-i-have-opened-my-mind-0 about his relationship with Mauresmo I have to say I really admire his stance and it would be pretty groundbreaking for a female coach to guide a male player to a Grand Slam.
    That's a great interview. Thanks for sharing it ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'm watching on setanta and the guy currently speaking pronounces tsonga as zong-a it's very annoying :pac:

I'm watching on setanta and the guy currently speaking pronounces tsonga as zong-a it's very annoying :pac:

It's correct, no? zonga or songa? Very similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

It's correct, no? zonga or songa? Very similar!

I always thought it was song-ga, two syllables, this fella is saying zonga, one. I'd never heard it pronounced that way til this week. Considering some of the names out there you'd think it'd be easy enough :pac:

You could be right about Stan .. Seems to be making short work of Tsonger

You could be right about Stan .. Seems to be making short work of Tsonger

Wonder if the pressure is getting to Tsonga? Wawrinka looks like he could sneak this Open.

Jo on the fight back. Don't expect anything here but a competitive and closely fought match.

Jo on the fight back. Don't expect anything here but a competitive and closely fought match.

Just listening to the game here on RG radio and the commentators are saying that Wawrinka has a hand injury?

Just listening to the game here on RG radio and the commentators are saying that Wawrinka has a hand injury?

Haven't heard that. I am following via updates on paddy power.

• Advertisement

very minor, just wrapped it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Injury definitely didn't seem too serious. Safarova through to the women's doubles final, she is having some fortnight!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He had a blister. Tie break now in the 3rd. Stan doesn't look half as relaxed as he did against Rog.....

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Injury definitely didn't seem too serious. Safarova through to the women's doubles final, she is having some fortnight!

That means Mattek Sands is in a second final too, she won the Mixed with one of the Bryan's yesterday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Stan takes the second set.

Wavrinka 2-1 and 2-0 up ... Tsonga missed 2 break points now.

Wavrinka in the final now for sure

Wavrinka 2-1 and 2-0 up ... Tsonga missed 2 break points now.

Wavrinka in the final now for sure
    Yeah looks like game over now.

Tsonga missed it in the third set. Had almost a break opportunity on each Wawrinka serve but failed to convert at least one of them...

I always thought it was song-ga, two syllables, this fella is saying zonga, one. I'd never heard it pronounced that way til this week. Considering some of the names out there you'd think it'd be easy enough
    "zonga" is definitely a wrong saying. It's Tsonga to be pronounced at it is written. 'ts' as the start like tsunami. Fairly easy even for an anglophone I'd have thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Glad Stan won, hope he does it, really distasteful how disrespectful the French crowd can be.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Glad Stan won, hope he does it, really distasteful how disrespectful the French crowd can be.

You know what was worse than them booing?

The fact that for the beginning of the match their empty seats for a French man trying to reach a Slam final. :(

Always been the worst crowd for Slams though, so we shouldn't be to shocked.

• Advertisement

You know what was worse than them booing?

The fact that for the beginning of the match their empty seats for a French man trying to reach a Slam final. :(

Always been the worst crowd for Slams though, so we shouldn't be to shocked.

Yeah how embararssing for us :(...

And the whole "french support" thing is such a non-existing thing. The crowd really started to make some noise when Stan served for the match :rolleyes:...

Ah well, I'm disappointed for Jo but he's on his way back to his top. Hopefully he confirms his good form in Wimbly and wins a few tournaments this year. He deserves a better record than the one he currently has.

The key today was his inability to convert his many break points (close to 20 and he only scored 1) and to take advantage of Stan difficulties in the third set. Maybe experience played a bit in favour of the Swiss there.

iroced wrote: »
    Yeah how embararssing for us :(...

And the whole "french support" thing is such a non-existing thing. The crowd really started to make some noise when Stan served for the match :rolleyes:...

Ah well, I'm disappointed for Jo but he's on his way back to his top. Hopefully he confirms his good form in Wimbly and wins a few tournaments this year. He deserves a better record than the one he currently has.

The key today was his inability to convert his many break points (close to 20 and he only scored 1) and to take advantage of Stan difficulties in the third set. Maybe experience played a bit in favour of the Swiss there.

Yeah its unforgivable to squander so many break points at this level, however I will say so many times Stan served bombs when under pressure, its what the elite do when the pressure is on.

Tsonga should go well at Wimbledon as his game is tailor made for the grass and he has done well their before, obviously the draw matters, but a quarter final should the target and see what happens from their.

I don't want to keep slagging the French crowd of, but yeah at times it really didn't feel like a cauldron for Stan which what Tsonga would have wanted.:(

I don't want to keep slagging the French crowd of, but yeah at times it really didn't feel like a cauldron for Stan which what Tsonga would have wanted.:(

The French players don't generally cope well with the crowd support anyway, they're mental midgets in that respect. Monfils is probably the only one that thrives on it but we all know how that tends to go.

I remember Jo telling the crowd to behave a few times when he was playing Djokovic in the QF a few years ago. Whereas that same year Monfils was encouraging them when he was playing against Murray. They were giving him dogs abuse and Monfils was lapping it all up.

Tsonga won 1/17 break points ... pretty shocking - I´m sure that will haunt him.

Feel for Murray here, not playing badly, but just got zero chance of winning this match, must feel like he is playing Nadal.:pac:

Has Murray ever made it this far at RG before?

• Advertisement

Has Murray ever made it this far at RG before?

Yeah, twice before, lost to Nadal in straight sets both times.

I feel for him, he always does well at the French, he is just a level below Nadal and Djokovic on this surface, pretty much impossible to get past either.

Yeah its unforgivable to squander so many break points at this level, however I will say so many times Stan served bombs when under pressure, its what the elite do when the pressure is on.
    Tsonga won 1/17 break points ... pretty shocking - I´m sure that will haunt him.
    As Rjd2 said Wawrinka played brilliantly most of the times when there was break point for Tsonga.
    Tsonga did not cope with them as well when Wawrinka had break points (apart from the second set).
    Tsonga should go well at Wimbledon as his game is tailor made for the grass and he has done well their before, obviously the draw matters, but a quarter final should the target and see what happens from their.
    Yeah exactly. If the draw is like RG he has a real chance to reach the final.
    I don't want to keep slagging the French RG crowd of, but yeah at times it really didn't feel like a cauldron for Stan which what Tsonga would have wanted.:(
    FYP :cool:. And you can slag them as much as you want :p...
    The French players don't generally cope well with the crowd support anyway, they're mental midgets in that respect. Monfils is probably the only one that thrives on it but we all know how that tends to go.

I remember Jo telling the crowd to behave a few times when he was playing Djokovic in the QF a few years ago. Whereas that same year Monfils was encouraging them when he was playing against Murray. They were giving him dogs abuse and Monfils was lapping it all up.

I don't fully agree. Your examples are undeniable but, for example, our big Davis Cup performances where often at home with a football stadium like atmosphere (1991 in Lyon of course where we defeated the great USA but, to speak about the current generation, even last year in the semi vs Cech Republic in RG where e.g. Gasquet demolished Berdych).

That said and I repeat what I wrote above, the RG crowd (and particularly the Philippe Chatrier one) are just an embarasement for the country.

Yeah, twice before, lost to Nadal in straight sets both times.

I feel for him, he always does well at the French, he is just a level below Nadal and Djokovic on this surface, pretty much impossible to get past either.

He's improved so much on clay this year but I doubt it's still not good enough to challenge any of the top clay players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Feel for Murray here, not playing badly, but just got zero chance of winning this match, must feel like he is playing Nadal.:pac:
    Steady on. It's been pretty competitive so far. Don't think Andy's out of it yet. Murray has looked pretty solid on serve so far (bar the one game he was broken obviously)

iroced wrote: »

I don't fully agree. Your examples are undeniable but our big Davis Cup performances where often at home with a football stadium like atmosphere (1991 in Lyon of course where we defeated the great USA but, to speak about the current generation, even last year in the semi vs Cech Republic in RG where e.g. Gasquet demolished Berdych).

That said and I repeat what I wrote above, the RG crowd (and particulalrly the Philippe Chatrier one) are just an embarasement for the country.

I don't thing Davis Cup ties are really comparable to anything on the main tour. The team environment does wonders for all sorts of players. When they're playing as individuals the French are unstable.... for want of a better word :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement