Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Open 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Oh, I was just speaking to The Monkey. :p

Honestly? After the first set, I said it was a foregone conclusion, after the third set, I still think Novak wins, but a cert? Nope

The way The Monkey was speaking it was as if a cert that Murray would win, if he is back him! I'd love a 7/1 cert!!
    Good thing for Novak is that if it goes 2-2 it looks like they'll be brought off court until tomorrow. Kills Murray momentum and also gives him a chance to recharge and regain focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Looks like it is going to be finished tomorrow anyway...

I'd still fancy Djokovic - Murray hasn't really had one easy service hold.

strange to stop it right there - calling a big storm coming.

That's it. See you tomorrow.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    strange to stop it right there - calling a big storm coming.

It was getting dark anyway, storm was coming for last few hours, too.

wonski wrote: »
    It was getting dark anyway, storm was coming for last few hours, too.

just said on Eurosport that it had brightened up tho

just said on Eurosport that it had brightened up tho

Maybe, but I saw both players complaining about it.
    It was supposed to be stopped earlier anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Joke
    Murray to win this french open - will be most undeserved slam win in history

re-starts at 12pm GMT tomorrow. Will be difficult to restart in the middle of a set.

• Advertisement

re-starts at 12pm GMT tomorrow. Will be difficult to restart in the middle of a set.

Well just 3 more games for murray to level - then a 6-2 or 6-3 win for murray in final set

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Great call though. It was lashing rain when they stopped the broadcast in France.

If it goes into a 5 setter Wawrinka will have an advantage in the final. If he's to win it because he's fresher than its opponent (which I'm not sure will be the case anyway) Tsonga will have even more regrets...

the_monkey wrote: »
    Well just 3 more games for murray to level - then a 6-2 or 6-3 win for murray in final set

You should go to your bank, take all the money out and bet it on that result. You'd be a millionaire by tomorrow eve! Unless you're just all mouth... :pac:...

I just find tennis so fûcking frustrating both as a player and spectator - I curse the day I got into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Joke
    Murray to win this french open - will be most undeserved slam win in history

Undeserved after beating the world no. 1? What a bizarre idea.

I just find tennis so fûcking frustrating both as a player and spectator - I curse the day I got into it
    You mean you'd like to see more attacking tennis style winning?

So the game is most likely going to be postponed until tomorrow then?

So the game is most likely going to be postponed until tomorrow then?
    Back tomorrow at 1 pm local time (12 am GMT) :cool:.

iroced wrote: »

:(

iroced wrote: »

12pm I think - hardly going to start at midnight :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Undeserved after beating the world no. 1? What a bizarre idea.

Don't feed the troll.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So they're playing the rest of this before the women's final? I wonder will there be anyone there to watch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

It will be interesting to see who this suits more. Murray had a 6 game spell when he was in charge but Djocko was in charge of the last 3. Whoever gets the better start will win IMHO. Djocko is in more trouble as he is serving the first game back, that's when Murray should attack. Get the break, even the match up by holding 2 games. Then it just comes down to who can hold their nerve better in the final set. I'm going with Djocko to do it in 5 but I am not confident on that, Murray has shown he is good enough and history has shown Murray is the one person you do not want coming back at you from 2 sets down. He is like a wounded animal, strong, aggressive and he knows how to hurt you. Would love to see him do it.

12pm I think - hardly going to start at midnight :)
    Ah yeah sorry :o. I'm always confused about what you call midday and midnight in terms of am/pm :pac:.

Djokovic is very close to win it. Murray got some points back after first two sets, but it is Novak who holds all the cards. Murray would need all the luck he has to be in a chance to win it. I can't see it happening tbh.

If I was to guess it would be Novak to just win the fourth set tomorrow. Andy had the momentum going with him but it will probably be gone now after the break. Djokovic to win 3-1 in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I agree, Djoko 3-1, he will want to be off the court as quickly as possible tomorrow. If he does win, it'll be interesting to see if it affects him in the final.

wonski wrote: »
    Djokovic is very close to win it. Murray got some points back after first two sets, but it is Novak who holds all the cards. Murray would need all the luck he has to be in a chance to win it. I can't see it happening tbh.

Murray has to come out of the blocks like Ben Johnson used to, to have a chance. Will be interesting - high noon it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I couldn't watch, just out of work now, was following live text comms.

By the sounds of it djokovic really should have had him out of there in 3. and when I saw the second set unfolded like it did I was expecting 6-0/6-1 to djokovic like we've seen in matches between these two lately.

With that in mind Id say murray will be feeling positive. The signs were that he was going to be crushed and he dug in and stayed alive. It's all mental with murray and if he comes out positive and stays positive he has a great chance. Likewise djokovic will be cursing himself tonight and knowing he had all the momentum going into the 3rd.

I'm genuinely pissed I missed seeing it, sounded gripping, even if the tennis sounded scrappy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I agree, Djoko 3-1, he will want to be off the court as quickly as possible tomorrow. If he does win, it'll be interesting to see if it affects him in the final.

It might actually suit both of them better to have to play a fifth set. Going out and playing three or four games will ruin their planned pre-final prep in any case and won't do much for their rhythm. Having to play a tough set and a half would probably be more beneficial in that respect, a solid workout without getting too tired - even these two cant make a set last more than an hour 20, surely?.

The break favours Djokovic more, I think he will regroup and come out playing like he did in the first two sets today, in which case Murray wont have much of a look in.

Props to Murray for hanging around and redlining his game just as Djokovic dropped his level.

I like Djokovic, and I like Murray, however I can just about stand watching their matches against each other, overly similar playing styles does not make for a pleasing spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

It might actually suit both of them better to have to play a fifth set. Going out and playing three or four games will ruin their planned pre-final prep in any case and won't do much for their rhythm. Having to play a tough set and a half would probably be more beneficial in that respect, a solid workout without getting too tired - even these two cant make a set last more than an hour 20, surely?.

The break favours Djokovic more, I think he will regroup and come out playing like he did in the first two sets today, in which case Murray wont have much of a look in.

Props to Murray for hanging around and redlining his game just as Djokovic dropped his level.

I like Djokovic, and I like Murray, however I can just about stand watching their matches against each other, overly similar playing styles do not make for a pleasing spectacle.

It's weird, neither guy hit top gear for long periods. Two bad games from Murray cost him the first and second set while Djocko was on top form during some of his service games. Then towards the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th Murray was sensational. It is extremely tense and I hope it goes to a fifth set tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

lostcat wrote: »

The break favours Djokovic more, I think he will regroup and come out playing like he did in the first two sets today, in which case Murray wont have much of a look in

Actually yes, that's a good point. Never thought of their prep plans :P I think he will too. I'm starting work at the exact time they're due back on court :(

I couldn't watch, just out of work now, was following live text comms.

By the sounds of it djokovic really should have had him out of there in 3. and when I saw the second set unfolded like it did I was expecting 6-0/6-1 to djokovic like we've seen in matches between these two lately.

With that in mind Id say murray will be feeling positive. The signs were that he was going to be crushed and he dug in and stayed alive. It's all mental with murray and if he comes out positive and stays positive he has a great chance. Likewise djokovic will be cursing himself tonight and knowing he had all the momentum going into the 3rd.

I'm genuinely pissed I missed seeing it, sounded gripping, even if the tennis sounded scrappy

the third and 4th set (so far) were indeed gripping.

just said there on eurosport that it only rained lightly for 5 mins and nothing after so they could actually have finished the 4th set but I guess they went on the best info the had.

let's hope that it remains gripping and doesn't go out like a damp squid and be over in a few games....

They've got a bigger crowd today than they did at the start of either match yesterday.

• Advertisement

They've got a bigger crowd today than they did at the start of either match yesterday.

well the women's final is on after (at 2pm) so not surprising.

well the women's final is on after (at 2pm) so not surprising.

Yeah, but I bet if this match hadn't been on today the place would have been half empty at the start of the final. It still might be depending on how long this lasts.

Djokovic's service games going easy for him like most of the games yesterday. Murray's serve not as good. Djokovic missed a ton of break points yesterday - should have finished it. Murray to serve to stay in the match - Djokovic will be after every point here and obviously be looking to finish it. He has no interest in seeing a 5th set happen!

come on Murray!

Murray in beast mode here. Beautiful defending on his shots while against the Djockovic serve and then aggresive when serving and following up. Fantastic. 5th set here we come (I think.)

• Advertisement

The irony he beats Nadal finally and doesn't even reach the final .
    That's the end of djokovic this will kill of any chance of Wimbledon or US Open ..

That's the end of djokovic this will kill of any chance of Wimbledon or US Open ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Murray seems to have got in djokovics head, making him go for it. Don't remember seeing Djokovic going long so many times before! Have to think Murray has the upper hand, but you never know with Djokovic...

Djkovic making a good few errors - has been long a lot. Murray more solid so far. 5th set - good to see it happen. I hope that Murray takes it. He needs to get a win against Djkovic - hasn't beaten him in years (not since the Wimbledon final).

Wavrinka Murray final now has as much interest as a tiddlywinks competition

Would ya stop. There is still one set to play, still lots of time for Djocko to get back into this. He will be joint favourite with Murray for Wimbledon and be massive favourite for the US Open.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Would ya stop. There is still one set to play, still lots of time for Djocko to get back into this. He will be joint favourite with Murray for Wimbledon and be massive favourite for the US Open.

Sure I'd probably beat him at this stage
    A broken man - he should have had it wrapped up in 3 and knows it -he can't move on
    Tennis such a mental game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Yeah, but I bet if this match hadn't been on today the place would have been half empty at the start of the final. It still might be depending on how long this lasts.

Eurosport said that the organisers let yesterday's ticket holders in to watch the match for free.

Fifth set!! Murray seems to have the momentum but you never know with Djokovic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yeah, because every time he's failed before at the French Open we've seen him really suffer at the other three slams.

Should be a cracker of a 5th set. Have to admire Murray's spirit. Never knows when he's beaten. Novak still a strong enough favourite with bookies at 1/3.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Eurosport said that the organisers let yesterday's ticket holders in to watch the match for free.

Fifth set!! Murray seems to have the momentum but you never know with Djokovic!

They said yesterday that their tickets wouldn't be valid for today. I thought it was just the people with tickets for today let in early?
    Big job to clear them all out after before letting today's crowd in if that's the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement