Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Open 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

the_monkey wrote: »
    Cos maybe they aren't really that sick ?
    Or a bit of a drama queen ??

What bothers me more about her tho is when she starts spouting that Jehovah witness crap ..

When was the last time that Serena played were there wasn't some sort of drama. Can't stand her and her carry on on or off the court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

A bit ridiculous how the mens doubles is only best of 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Floppybits wrote: »
    When was the last time that Serena played were there wasn't some sort of drama. Can't stand her and her carry on on or off the court.

Agreed , I find her just vulgar - and her dad is some piece of work too.
    The sooner she retires or slows down the better .
    Not looking likely soon though..

After that disgrace in Berlin , robbery poor Juve - let's hope djokovic can win ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What a phenomenal athlete Serena is, still the best at 33. I think there's little doubt any more that she'll reach/overtake Steffi, it's probably more a question of whether Margaret Court is within reach.

Delighted for Lucie and how amazing she was this week. Always love it when underachievers start to fulfil their potential. Into the top ten now and will probably bag herself a top 8 seed for Wimbledon. Hopefully she keeps it going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

What a phenomenal athlete Serena is, still the best at 33.

I think a better adjective to use would be 'unbelievable'. At an age when any other tennis player would be showing obvious signs of decline she is more dominant than ever and looks odds on to win all slams this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Well that makes things interesting! Pretty disappointed to see the French crowd booing so loudly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Not all bad for Lucie. She won the women's doubles title with Bethanie Mattek Sands earlier. Defeated Shvedova and Dellacqua in 3. They're half way towards a doubles calendar Grand Slam.

Wawrinka with twice as many winners as Djokovic. 5-2 to the Swiss.

Looks like Stan the man has this won !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Have neither of you seen Novak play before? This one is far from over. Stan playing some unreal tennis at the minute but can he keep this level up. You just know Novak will crank it up a notch in the fourth set. Great match. Hope Stan gets the job done though. That shot where he hit a backhand winner behind the post was ridiculous.

Pighead wrote: »
    Have neither of you seen Novak play before? This one is far from over. Stan playing some unreal tennis at the minute but can he keep this level up. You just know Novak will crank it up a notch in the fourth set. Great match. Hope Stan gets the job done though. That shot where he hit a backhand winner behind the post was ridiculous.

Beautiful player , would prefer djokovic to win but wouldn't mind Stan either , couldn't begrudge such sweet shot making

Stan is hitting the ball ridiculously hard! He's playing better than when he won the Aussie imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I can barely watch this it's so tense! What a match!!

Come on Stan!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Brilliant play from Stan. He should be able to serve this out now!

I can't remember a player having so many clean winners from the baseline than Stan today. Sensational game there to break Novak. Hopefully he can finish it off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lovely that it was the Stan backhand which won the match. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh Novak.

Huge congrats to Stan. Fully deserved after a sensational performance.

The wait goes on for Novak. In fairness to him he didn't do a whole lot wrong today. Stan was unplayable at times.

https://vine.co/v/eMQm9dEb5AB

• Advertisement

What a win!!!!! Ahhhh I've never felt so pleased for someone!

I do feel a smidge sorry for Djokovic, he must be thinking what on earth do I have to do to win this?! The two people who have beaten Nadal in Paris have gone on to lose the final ironically.

Cracking win from Wawrinka!! He played sensational tennis. Beat Nadal and Djokovic to win both his Major titles. Not too shabby.

Lovely scenes between them at the net and chair. Bit gutted for Nole...I wonder if he'll get that elusive RG title.

Poor Djokovic , don't think he'll ever win the French now - could affect his confidence for other slams too

RosyLily wrote: »
    Bit gutted for Nole...I wonder if he'll get that elusive RG title.
    Still has a decent chance I think. Nadal's invincibility gone. Roger won't be winning it. Murray getting closer but Novak has his number for now. Stan as good as he was today is generally second best to Novak. Of the next level only Nishikori has a chance of upping his game over the next year to compete at the very highest level.

I'm no Djokovic fan but this is making me tear up a little, gosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Still has a decent chance I think. Nadal's invincibility gone. Roger won't be winning it. Murray getting closer but Novak has his number for now. Stan as good as he was today is generally second best to Novak. Of the next level only Nishikori has a chance of upping his game over the next year to compete at the very highest level.

Agreed. Of all the young players that are closest to breaking through such as Raonic, Dimitrov and Kyrigos, they make an impact very soon, but I don't think it will be at the French.

Think the likes of Coric, Sock, and Kokkinakas may need a little more time, next year probably asking to much.

Novak will still be hot favourite for next year, but it was a golden opportunity this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Well done, Stan, fantastic hitting. Djoko got a brilliant standing ovation, which was well deserved.

Djokovic 5-0 in Australian Open finals but 3-8 in the other Slams.

I loved Magnus Norman's reaction!! Like he can't believe it. :D It's great for him too. Reached the final during his career and brought Söderling to two. Finally got there.

Someone asked Ben Rothenberg on Twitter if there was another time the men's and women's GS champs had the same initials. Racking my brains on that one....

Edit: Kuerten's suit!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Hats off to Stan, carried form/streak perfectly into the final, Djokovic kept his worst game for 5 months for today (I don't think he actually played well in his two other FO finals either).

After the nerves expended beating Nadal and Murray, he found the tank empty. Not sure he will ever win one now.

Murray now favourite for Wimby I think, Djokovic might have to mentally take a few weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That Wawrinka backhand is a joy to behold, mysterious and magical in these two-handed times. He just seems to take a wild lash at it - never worked for me. It's good to see a guy with flatter shots beating heavy topspin at the ultimate level, a bit like del Potro in his heyday. Wawrinka can manage the high shots to the backhand better than even Federer could. Djokovic could only force the slice return when he put Stan wide.

Stan is light on his feet these days and he kept his cool today with excellent serving when it mattered. I thought Novak might have anticipated the down-the-line backhand return a little better and his serving wasn't great. Classy sportsmanship from him, though.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I thought Novak might have anticipated the down-the-line backhand return a little better and his serving wasn't great. Classy sportsmanship from him, though.

His radar was off today on several fronts, very poor % on the first serve, poorish on return of serve, hit 4/5 lobs long, which overall perhaps led to him being far too passive in general. He just didnt seem to be feeling it today.

Stan played exactly as he had to, hitting out, and when he hits out and it goes in its pretty hard to stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Had a feeling Stan was going to win, that he'd handle the unique pressures of the situation a tad better. So I started this as the match began, and finished it just after the match ended :D

CG6d59-XEAAJpgY.jpg

I was away working at a festival during the early rounds, so only really got to start watching from the last 16 onwards, I really enjoyed the competition personally, delighted for Stan, Nole will be back, I'd be amazed if he doesn't win it at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Nice but the annotation may be more suited to Djoko actually :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Someone asked Ben Rothenberg on Twitter if there was another time the men's and women's GS champs had the same initials. Racking my brains on that one....

Don Budge and Dorothy Bundy, 1938 AO.

Nice but the annotation may be more suited to Djoko actually :)
    Stan has those words tattooed onto his arm. Nice pic Randomfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Stan has those words tattooed onto his arm. Nice pic Randomfriend.

Ah I was wondering what his tattoo says alright! Mattek-Sands has an unreal looking tattoo on her arm too

Don Budge and Dorothy Bundy, 1938 AO.

If I could thank you a million times I would!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

lostcat wrote: »
    His radar was off today on several fronts, very poor % on the first serve, poorish on return of serve, hit 4/5 lobs long, which overall perhaps led to him being far too passive in general. He just didnt seem to be feeling it today.

Stan played exactly as he had to, hitting out, and when he hits out and it goes in its pretty hard to stop him.

Novak looked muffled today, subdued. He didn't even get angry with himself.

Missed the match today cause I was working, and all I can say is wow. Just wow. Did not expect that to happen. Whilst I think we all know Stan has the game to beat Djokovic, did anyone expect it to happen today?! Shocked, but absolutely delighted for Stan.

As for Djokovic, it's weird cause I'm not really a fan of his, but I was just thinking last night how I wouldn't mind him winning today because he really does deserve to complete the Grand Slam. And then he loses! I do really feel for him, cause this was his big chance, and especially with Nadal out of the way as well. This of course, wasn't his last chance, but it's going to be much more difficult for him next year. Should be very, very interesting to see which was his season goes from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ardillaun wrote: »
    It's good to see a guy with flatter shots beating heavy topspin at the ultimate level, a bit like del Potro in his heyday. Wawrinka can manage the high shots to the backhand better than even Federer could. Djokovic could only force the slice return when he put Stan wide.

+1
    In this era of court homogenisation with slow court speeds that favour grinders its nice to see an aggressive player that hits flat shots win .
    Flat shots should always beat topspin .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Cracking win from Wawrinka!! He played sensational tennis. Beat Nadal and Djokovic to win both his Major titles. Not too shabby.

Lovely scenes between them at the net and chair. Bit gutted for Nole...I wonder if he'll get that elusive RG title.
    Maybe I misunderstood you but Stan didn't beat Nadal in this RG :confused:.

Had a strange feeling yesterday after the game. Was delighted for Stan but gutted for Nole in the meantime. Looks like he's cursed in RG. French commentators said yesterday that both Agassi & Federer who struggled to get a title here eventually got it at their 11th try. This year was Djokovic 11th try...

His reaction after this tough defeat was one of a champion though. Brilliantly exemplary. And finally a nice gesture from the RG crowd to give him such a long deserved standing ovation.

• Advertisement

Feel a bit sorry for him also, but the mental energy required to beat rafa, combined with not being able to close out murray in three (down purely to murray playing out of his mind for 7/8 games) and then meeting stan on the streak of his life just seemed to drain him in the end.

Murrays coach commented after murrays defeat that Djokovic was clearly tense all week, and there's no doubt he was very tense yesterday. It didn't help that his gameplan was a bit muddled - (or his implementation of it was) - trying to take the pace off things and disrupt stans rhythm with dropshots and spin was feasible but he also had to go for his shots more when he had the chance.

However even at his best i'm not sure he would have won with Stan playing that way, which might be some consolation to him in due course. As he said himself (not sure i have ever heard a more dignified loosing speech) sometimes the other guy is just too good.

iroced wrote: »
    Maybe I misunderstood you but Stan didn't beat Nadal in this RG :confused:.

I know. I meant that he beat him to win his first GS in Australia last year. Come to think of it, didn't Stan beat Djokovic in the quarters or semis on his way to the Aussie title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Man, it's been a long time since I've watched a match like that - thrilling from start to finish. There are other attacking players on the tour but for half a decade now the big titles have been dominated by the defensive grinders who produced mind-numbingly boring finals that lasted for hours on end and usually came down to a battle of endurance rather than tennis ability.

Not only seeing Stan play like that, but winning a slam doing it, took me right back to why I fell in love with this sport in the first place. And for it to happen in RG of all places...

Stan has a beautiful game. His backhand is a thing of pure class. I honestly wasn't sure I'd ever see anyone with a single-handed backhand win a slam again.

I hope it inspires young players to adopt this approach so that attacking tennis can flourish once again.

RTE Sean O Rourke show

"No. 9 seed Waricka won the French Open"

Nice one RTE ... good to see you get the finer points correct in Tennis.

the_monkey wrote: »
    RTE Sean O Rourke show

"No. 9 seed Waricka won the French Open"

Nice one RTE ... good to see you get the finer points correct in Tennis.

I was watching RTE News when Nadal won his first round match. Newsreader noted that "Rafael Nadal was going for his 11th Roland Garros title.":rolleyes:

All they have to do is look on Wikipedia and get the right info!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I know. I meant that he beat him to win his first GS in Australia last year. Come to think of it, didn't Stan beat Djokovic in the quarters or semis on his way to the Aussie title?
    Ah right. Yeah he did. A 9-7 in the 5th set 5 setters in the quarters ;).

Finally got to watch some highlights of the men's final. In an era that's been dominated by defensive grinding, it was just wonderful to see such brilliantly offensive, hard-hitting tennis reign supreme. Wawrinka has such a beautiful game, and to see that backhand in full flow... damn :cool: Would be cool to see him make an impact at Wimbledon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

Finally got to watch some highlights of the men's final. In an era that's been dominated by defensive grinding, it was just wonderful to see such brilliantly offensive, hard-hitting tennis reign supreme. Wawrinka has such a beautiful game, and to see that backhand in full flow... damn :cool: Would be cool to see him make an impact at Wimbledon as well.
    Yep, a fabulous backhand I saw him play in his first match RG 2015 - and still wearing the same underpants - oh sorry shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stunning performance from Stan. He is such a complete player. I had him to win it after he beat Federer. He was peaking at the right time. Nole had no real plan B. He plays at a level and that is it. Stan had more options and variation to his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I missed the match but I saw a stat that stan hit 60 winners in the match. Is this true? Unbelievable hitting from him. Thats 15 games in winners alone!!

I remember when soderling beat nadal and couldnt believe how hard and flat he hit the ball. I remember thinking why dont more players try this against nadal at the french?? Your clearly not going to out rally him or wear him down so why not just trust yourself to get on the front foot and take him on.

Im so happy for Stan but it seems like one of those days where everything just clicked for him

Advertisement