Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from soccer forum

Options
  • 17-05-2015 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

I got a 2 week ban from the soccer forum for using the word Slippy when talking about Steven Gerrard.This has been used time after time without a problem in the soccer forum but yesterday I got banned for it.

A quick search shows how many times it's been used by fans of many different clubs so I can't understand how I got banned for using it.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=151&query=slippy

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies for the delay, but I've not been feeling well and have been offline for a few days.

I'm assuming you have tried to resolve this directly with the mod, but even if not given the delay I'll try and move the appeal on here. To be clear though I am simply considering whether your post deserved a yellow card as the 2 week ban is for an accumulation of yellows and not that specific post

I'm certainly not going to review all instances of the term "slippy" within the forum. However I would like to understand why you decided to use that term, knowing it is likely to wind up Liverpool fans, when it would have been a lot easier to refer to the player by his name, Steven Gerrard?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A quick search shows how many times it's been used, http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=151&query=slippy

A lot by United fans,hell I even said it before.For the day that was in it the term seemed even more appropriate due to the media circus building him up and I find it odd how Liverpool fans seemed to trawl the United thread to find stuff to be offended by.As a result,I got a card and a ban.
    The mod in question seemed to be under the impression that the word slippy was used mostly by Liverpool fans,maybe their search function isn't working properly but the vast majority of said phrase being used is by United fans.
    For some strange reason it became a card offence to use the word slippy,if I used obscene language then I'd take the card and the ban but not for using a well worn phrase on the day Sky were wetting themselves over him.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Of course it's a term that United fans are going to be tempted to use, because the whole reason the term exists within the football world is to ridicule Liverpool and their fans by reference to an infamous incident last season. Do you not agree?

Beasty wrote: »
    Of course it's a term that United fans are going to be tempted to use, because the whole reason the term exists within the football world is to ridicule Liverpool and their fans by reference to an infamous incident last season. Do you not agree?

You said "tempted" to use,the fact is that it has and is being used,it'll probably be used when he's a pensioner.It's not as if I went into the Liverpool thread and started throwing around insults or calling him by worse names.
    If you look at the link I posted,you'll find he's been called "Slippy G,Stampy G" and more yet all of a sudden it's without warning become a yellow card to do so.
    Shall we have a completely sanitised soccer forum because a few posters get their knickers in a twist at every opportunity? Will mods retrospectively card everyone who called him slippy on the whim of a few??
    Last season we called Suarez "bitey",no problem.Is it the fact that Gerrard has been put on a pedestal by Liverpool fans woe betide anyone who criticises or laughs at him?

Well actually when I do a search of "slippy g" within the forum, I find 13 references, the first of which was by you. Some of the references were describing what was going on, rather than using the term to actually describe the player

The problem here is someone did find offence, and reported your post. The mods acted in accordance with the charter - you can go by either the "offensive nicknames" provision, or cross-thread baiting. Yes unfortunately that's what the so-called "rivalry" between United and Liverpool fans within the forum has descended to, with a small minority of fans from each club looking to find ways to get fans from the other club into trouble. I personally do not like that kind of behaviour, but looking at the way some (and I re-iterate it's a small minority) fans of each club behave within the forum, I'm struggling to find a basis to overturn this card. If I overturn this then I the specific sections of the charter I've mentioned above, which were introduced at the behest of the userbase, arguably become largely redundant

What I would suggest though, and this applies equally to any regulars from the Soccer forum reading this, is that in future please do not take any opportunities to have a dig at the "other" club and its fans, by making such references, as if someone then reports it there's every chance the mods will act if only to show consistency (and indeed avoid accusations of bias)

Just to add, if this thread results in someone doing a trawl through those older posts to start reporting stuff (or indeed doing other searches to do so), I would certainly not expect the mods to act retrospectively (although that comment is moving way from the specific issue here so I'll leave it at that).

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Well actually when I do a search of "slippy g" within the forum, I find 13 references, the first of which was by you. Some of the references were describing what was going on, rather than using the term to actually describe the player

The problem here is someone did find offence, and reported your post. The mods acted in accordance with the charter - you can go by either the "offensive nicknames" provision, or cross-thread baiting. Yes unfortunately that's what the so-called "rivalry" between United and Liverpool fans within the forum has descended to, with a small minority of fans from each club looking to find ways to get fans from the other club into trouble. I personally do not like that kind of behaviour, but looking at the way some (and I re-iterate it's a small minority) fans of each club behave within the forum, I'm struggling to find a basis to overturn this card. If I overturn this then I the specific sections of the charter I've mentioned above, which were introduced at the behest of the userbase, arguably become largely redundant

What I would suggest though, and this applies equally to any regulars from the Soccer forum reading this, is that in future please do not take any opportunities to have a dig at the "other" club and its fans, by making such references, as if someone then reports it there's every chance the mods will act if only to show consistency (and indeed avoid accusations of bias)

Just to add, if this thread results in someone doing a trawl through those older posts to start reporting stuff (or indeed doing other searches to do so), I would certainly not expect the mods to act retrospectively (although that comment is moving way from the specific issue here so I'll leave it at that).

So all of a sudden,a term that has been used before suddenly becomes offensive?
    You say overturning the card sets a precedent by going against the charter yet the nick name that's been widely used since the day the slip happened without any censure is suddenly offensive without any notification or mod warning.I can probably guess who reported me and they are revelling in the fact I'm here arguing my case over a stupid,non offensive nickname.
    You say stick to the charter yet the lines at times change and it's a guessing game as to where it's deemed posters cross them.What's ok for a whole season suddenly turns into "baiting" or "offensive nicknames". Cards for using a term that's become engrained in football to describe Gerrard is a bit OTT.Perhaps if certain posters became a little less touchy and vindictive we'd actually have less need for this process.

Just a reminder, as you cannot access the forum at present. This is the context in which it was used:
    zerks wrote: »
    At least we don't have to suffer the Sky wankfest that they have about Slippy.De Gea will leave,we all knew this day would come and best of luck to him.
    Will we burn DDG shirts in the streets when he leaves? No,shirt burning's reserved for "the best fans in the world".;)
    It's clear to me you were using the term in an attempt to contrast the club you support, and their fans, from Liverpool and their fans, suggesting one set is in some way "superior" to the other. There was absolutely no need to refer to Liverpool or Steven Gerrard at all if you wanted to discuss David de Gea. However you chose to have a dig and suffered the consequences

Yellow card upheld. Ban follows automatically

You may, of course, ask an Admin to review my decision.

Advertisement