Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inductive load for thermostat switching

Options
  • 17-05-2015 7:13pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What would be the minimum required switching load for an oil boiler and circulating pump. I work on oil boilers and the other day I had a customer with an electronical room stat that she asked me about fitting instead of their existing stat. I said that I would contact them when things quietened off a bit in a few weeks. I noticed that it had a label that said "switching load 2A inductive and 6A resistive" or something along those lines. Is 2A enough to switch the above?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It will switch without any load, its just a temperature sensing device which will open and close its contacts around the temperature set point.

The 2A inductive and 6 amps resistive rating just means it has a maximum switching capacity of 2 amps if the load being switched is inductive, such as motors would be, or 6 amps resistive, such as elements would be.

Inductive loads arc more when switched off, so are harder on switch contacts than resistive loads are.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Thanks Bruthal. I understand what you said, but it still doesn't answer my question. Is it capable of switching the load or do I need to fit a relay also?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It will switch it without a relay, in terms of load size.

Advertisement