Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fish for this size container?

Options
  • 17-05-2015 7:13pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have this...
    4931FB01F3554D15AABB6CE7668A97FF-0000321256-0003762199-00800L-A5C804D37C12466B86B6A4862C62B90E.jpg

As you can see it's about a foot long, wider than a 500ml bottle but not as tall.

I don't want one of those bubble makers you get in aquariums gurgling away all day and I think goldfish are probably a bit too big and I think they're a bit boring too. Colourful guppies would be nice.

Any recommendations of a fish that'll fit into this vase that can be bought easily in a pet shop?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Nothing, sorry.

The minimum for any fish is about 45 litres, maybe 25-30 for a single betta, but nothing smaller.

For any living thing, you'll need a filter anyway.

I'd maybe put triops in it? They can survive without a filter.

Does it have to be alive? You could do a lovely aquatic plant display, with pebbles and mossballs / plants.

You're artistic, google 'Nano aquascapes' to get an idea of what would look really good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah alive would've been nice.

45 litres? I'm sure I had a bowl years ago that was only about 2lt, but that was the 70's and bringing the dog for a walk meant letting him out the front door on his own. Pet welfare has changed I guess.

I kinda thought I'd get about 3 bluey-silver guppies (they're only about 1cm big) in there and thinking if I refreshed half the water each day I'd singing.

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah alive would've been nice.

45 litres? I'm sure I had a bowl years ago that was only about 2lt, but that was the 70's and bringing the dog for a walk meant letting him out the front door on his own. Pet welfare has changed I guess.

I kinda thought I'd get about 3 bluey-silver guppies (they're only about 1cm big) in there and thinking if I refreshed half the water each day I'd singing.

Yeah me too, but I look at my goldfish now and the goldfish I had then and mine now would have eaten the old one whole and not noticed!
    He was also pretty sick looking compared to my lovely big fellas now!

The trouble with fish is, the smaller the fish, the more likely it is to be a shoaling fish, and a shoal will need a good bit of space, as much as if it was a single larger fish.
    Its also a lot to do with how fast they are, for example minnows are small, but they shoal and dart so they need a bit of space to move. Otherwise they just hang in the same spot and eventually keel over and die.

You'd need at least 3 litres of water per guppy, but starting with a tank size of at least 20 litres.
    Otherwise toxins will build up fast ( fish excrete ammonia, which is very toxic to them and builds up to toxic levels in a matter of hours, the smaller the water volume, the faster it happens) so even with 3 guppies, I'd say the tank is way too small, and you'll just end up with dead guppies and be put off the whole thing.

Maybe a couple of cherry shrimp? I normally keep them in 25 litres with a filter, but some people have had success keeping them in less, with no filter.
    They're definitely not boring!

Ah it was more so for aesthetics on a shelving unit I'm creating. I'll leave it for now so. I'll do something interesting with plants instead.

Thanks for the great reply though. A lot more informed now.

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah it was more so for aesthetics on a shelving unit I'm creating. I'll leave it for now so. I'll do something interesting with plants instead.

Thanks for the great reply though. A lot more informed now.

I definitely think you should go down the nano aquascape route though, its an art form in itself!

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    I definitely think you should go down the nano aquascape route though, its an art form in itself!

I might just too, I'd never even heard that title before. Off googling about it now:).

Edit. Yep, that'll do. Holymoly there's some fab things going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Yeah, its way to small for any living thing.
    can I ask why you would want to keep a fish in something that small?

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Yeah, its way to small for any living thing.
    can I ask why you would want to keep a fish in something that small?

It was a vase that fit into a certain space. I know nothing of fish so thought a little pinkeen would be happy paddling about in it. Not so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Ah right. Well, Pleanty of second hand tanks on Adverts of you can find a spot to put one.

Advertisement