Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Physics 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Barry1000 wrote: »
    Lads I failed the pre with 34% but have put in a good amount of work the last few months. I'll got at it hard this weekend. I'm good at maths if that makes a difference, chances of me getting a C1 ?
    None of us can tell you for certain, lad, but if you've been working at it since the mocks, probably pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Troxck wrote: »
    I'm planning on avoiding the Mechanics Section B. I had to do it in the mocks since the Q5 was horrible and we didn't have Particle Physics done at that time.

Thanks!

Yeah most people I knew answered the mechanics questions but it was always my intention to skip it and focus on the other questions on electricity and all the rest.
    Saying that I still could have answered any mechanics question if I needed to. Good to have it as a back up or incase an easy mechanics question is thrown on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hulk_buster

can someone give a list of experiments that are too easy to come up on a higher level paper and those that are almost sure not to come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

how do you get the "d" when calculating the monochromatic of light ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DuckSmokeQuack

Does anyone know if it's necessary to have all experiments written up for the exam? Like will they check or will I be okay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Dianabluex wrote: »
    how do you get the "d" when calculating the monochromatic of light ?

d=1/Nx10^-3 Where N= Number of lines per metre on the grating!

Does anyone know if it's necessary to have all experiments written up for the exam? Like will they check or will I be okay?

S**t i hope they don't come to my school , i don't have the written up forgot about until u brought it up I'm scared now :eek:

The last date they can actually check that at Leaving Cert was the 9th of May, or around then. You're fine!

It would be good revision to write them up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Nail the experiments, definitions, demos and bulky theory!

It also depends how much work you have put in the last two years...

Reckon I could get that far by Monday? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zagaluke

d=1/Nx10^-3 Where N= Number of lines per metre on the grating!

Well usually N is given in lines/mm, so then you just have d=1/(Nx10^3) metres. If N is given in lines/m, then d would just be 1/N metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Hulk_buster

do you have to convert the measurements for the diffraction grating to meters??

anybody know of any thread for economics predictions 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TheNobleHylian

Basically I'm in a situation where I have everyday free till Monday to study for Physics.

Everything has gone well so far in the leaving cert,I'm happy with every subject but I've a very basic knowledge of Physics at the moment.I haven't been putting the work into it that I should have been.I'm fine with experiments and calculations but when it comes to definitions and derivations along with the long questions I've very little knowledge at the moment.

What would my best bet to basically cover most of the Physics course over the next few days? Exam papers or chapter by chapter revision.Also any predictions if anyone has any would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zagaluke

do you have to convert the measurements for the diffraction grating to meters??

Usually you do convert to SI units for calculations, you'll also need to convert the wavelength to metres as well (eg. 650nm=6.5*10^-7m). Whatever you do, make sure your units for d and lambda are the same, or else you might get something like sin(theta)=500 which isn't defined or sin(theta)=0.0005 which will give you an angle that's far too small

Basically I'm in a situation where I have everyday free till Monday to study for Physics.

Everything has gone well so far in the leaving cert,I'm happy with every subject but I've a very basic knowledge of Physics at the moment.I haven't been putting the work into it that I should have been.I'm fine with experiments and calculations but when it comes to definitions and derivations along with the long questions I've very little knowledge at the moment.

What would my best bet to basically cover most of the Physics course over the next few days? Exam papers or chapter by chapter revision.Also any predictions if anyone has any would be helpful.

right now I'm just doing exam questions , I've learned all my def , derivations and experiments that i think are more likely to come like boyle law , heat: hot copper , vaporization or latent , monochromatic , resitivity of nichrome wire , focal length ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TheNobleHylian

Dianabluex wrote: »
    right now I'm just doing exam questions , I've learned all my def , derivations and experiments that i think are more likely to come like boyle law , heat: hot copper , vaporization or latent , monochromatic , resitivity of nichrome wire , focal length ,

Thanks,

I think I'll try go through each chapter individually over the next two days and write out each definition and derivation on flashcards,get a general understanding of everything and do some exam questions and then I will spend Saturday and Sunday constantly doing exam questions.Hopefully that should have me in a better place than I am at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Hey, what's everyone's opinion on a full circular motion/satellite etc question coming in the long questions? Ive done probably every prediction possible for physics in terms of experiments likely to come up and I'd have almost guaranteed myself a long question on circular motion/satellites etc as they used to come up every year but now they haven't in the past few years! Because of this prediction I've absolutely nailed that chapter along with question 10 (guaranteed) and stuff in general for 5 and 12. But I haven't seen much talk about a circular motion question coming up here, what are your opinions on it? Do you think it will come up? Or are they now getting more focused on examining multiple chapters in the one question and are out of the habit of focusing solely on one chapter per question?

Benm123 wrote: »
    Hey, what's everyone's opinion on a full circular motion/satellite etc question coming in the long questions? Ive done probably every prediction possible for physics in terms of experiments likely to come up and I'd have almost guaranteed myself a long question on circular motion/satellites etc as they used to come up every year but now they haven't in the past few years! Because of this prediction I've absolutely nailed that chapter along with question 10 (guaranteed) and stuff in general for 5 and 12. But I haven't seen much talk about a circular motion question coming up here, what are your opinions on it? Do you think it will come up? Or are they now getting more focused on examining multiple chapters in the one question and are out of the habit of focusing solely on one chapter per question?

They've neglected SHM/Hooke's Law etc. for Mechanics in recent years so it is bound to show, but again, the SEC want to avoid predictability and so on...

What experiments do you reckon are likely to come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

i too only got 34 in the mocks. is it possible to get to a b3 over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

They've neglected SHM/Hooke's Law etc. for Mechanics in recent years so it is bound to show, but again, the SEC want to avoid predictability and so on...

What experiments do you reckon are likely to come up?

Is there really that much they can ask on hookes law or SHM? I can definitely see them coming up in a Q12, but I can't see hookes law taking up a whole question, we'll maybe with SHM, who knows. Guess I'll look over that this weekend!

Experiments, I obviously can't know for sure, but if you're smart enough you can eliminate at least half of the experiments on the course. The ones that I'd certainly know well are;
    - Gravity by freefall/pendulum
    - Heat, would be v surprised if one didn't come up.
    - Resistivity of nichrome wire
    - Monochromatic light
    - Thermistor/resistance experiment (can't remember the name)
    - Fundamental freq. of string with tension/length.

These are ones that haven't come up in a good few years, as always they usually throw in one or possibly even two that are unexpected, but I'd make sure I know these few inside out before heading in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

I've no idea what I do be doing when it comes to Physics.

• Advertisement

Benm123 wrote: »
    Is there really that much they can ask on hookes law or SHM? I can definitely see them coming up in a Q12, but I can't see hookes law taking up a whole question, we'll maybe with SHM, who knows. Guess I'll look over that this weekend!

Experiments, I obviously can't know for sure, but if you're smart enough you can eliminate at least half of the experiments on the course. The ones that I'd certainly know well are;
    - Gravity by freefall/pendulum
    - Heat, would be v surprised if one didn't come up.
    - Resistivity of nichrome wire
    - Monochromatic light
    - Thermistor/resistance experiment (can't remember the name)
    - Fundamental freq. of string with tension/length.

These are ones that haven't come up in a good few years, as always they usually throw in one or possibly even two that are unexpected, but I'd make sure I know these few inside out before heading in!

It's a handy question if it was to come up as a full long question. It would be a nice Q12 too.

So many students and teachers are highlighting those, I hope they come up. I'm fairly bad at the Heat experiments so I'm not doing them, is that too risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

It's a handy question if it was to come up as a full long question. It would be a nice Q12 too.

So many students and teachers are highlighting those, I hope they come up. I'm fairly bad at the Heat experiments soI'm not doing them, is that too risky?

What do you find difficult about them?
    IMO they are very nice expt questions because there is not a lot of stuff that they can ask for each.
    I find the 15/18 marks for the calculations lovely....very easy marks IMO

The_N4sir wrote: »
    What do you find difficult about them?
    IMO they are very nice expt questions because there is not a lot of stuff that they can ask for each.
    I find the 15/18 marks for the calculations lovely....very easy marks IMO

I cannot remember the calculations for each experiment. I understand them but in an exam calculation I know I'd panic and mess it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

It is international year of light. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Year_of_Light

I would definitely know that section. And any other section that light appears.

The physics section of the JC Science paper had lots of light questions. Dispersion, ray diagrams for reflection/refraction, LDRs, bulbs in series/parallel.

Doubtful it's the same person making out the papers but if they are of a similar mindset...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GuyWithAFace

Would I be covered with knowing all electricity, mechanics and light experiments or should I go over heat too? I'm leaving sound out cause I doubt two sound experiments would come up.

Would I be covered with knowing all electricity, mechanics and light experiments or should I go over heat too? I'm leaving sound out cause I doubt two sound experiments would come up.

Heat has not come up since 2010 i think so IMO i would. They are nice questions aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Heat has not come up since 2010 i think so IMO i would. They are nice questions aswell

Heat questions are awful, would you go away. Those formulae are terrible.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »

I'm so glad I am not alone in that. I'm totally ignoring them, hopefully the SEC aren't cruel enough to put two of them on the paper.

I'm doing all Mechanics, WLS and Electricity experiments though.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »

It is just my opinion:P
    Anyway I am not a big fan of the Electricity experiments except the nichrome wire one so I guess it evens out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Krydan

Cr4pSnip3r wrote:

How is it terrible?
    It's just ml+ mc(delta)(tithe)= mc(delta)(tithe) + mc(delta)(tithe)

Right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement