Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camera on lumia 520

• 17-05-2015 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I take a photo on the Lumia 520 and load to pc to edit in photoshop. it is 72 ppi resolution. Is this all it does or can it be changed? How

If it is increased in photoshop will that improve the image?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

The Lumia 520 has a low resolution camera so the pictures it produces aren't that good. Resizing the image in photoshop will make it bigger, but it'll look less detailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 FARADAYCAGED

theothernt wrote: »
    The Lumia 520 has a low resolution camera so the pictures it produces aren't that good. Resizing the image in photoshop will make it bigger, but it'll look less detailed.

Thanks. But a 5megapixel camera with only a resolution of 72ppi? If the resolution is increased in ps and the size reduced will the image improve. Orcan nothing be done at 72 ppi

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Graham 1324

Thanks. But a 5megapixel camera with only a resolution of 72ppi? If the resolution is increased in ps and the size reduced will the image improve. Orcan nothing be done at 72 ppi

Correct

Correct
    not sure what that refers to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

If you want a high resolution photo, use a high resolution camera. This does not exist in the Lumia 520(great phone otherwise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

The 72ppi "setting" is meaningless in a digital photograph. The images are 2592 pixels by 1456. If you want to print them at 72ppi, you'll get a printout 36" wide and 20" tall. If you print it out 6" wide and 3.33" high, it's going to print at 432ppi

Bayberry wrote: »
    The 72ppi "setting" is meaningless in a digital photograph. The images are 2592 pixels by 1456. If you want to print them at 72ppi, you'll get a printout 36" wide and 20" tall. If you print it out 6" wide and 3.33" high, it's going to print at 432ppi

so if i make it 8x6 @ 300ppi it would be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

so if i make it 8x6 @ 300ppi it would be ok?

If your image is 2592 pixels wide, and you print it 8" wide, you will be sending 324 pixels per inch to the printer. If your printer actually prints at 300dpi there'll be some additional compression of the image before it's printed (the compression will probably be done by the printer driver or the printing application rather than the printer, as far as I know).

The 72dpi entry in the metadata of the 520 images should probably be considered a bug - it doesn't make any sense and isn't set in image that I have from some other lumia phones (though I just checked some photos from a Lumia 630 that has a similar camera, and they also have that 72x72DPI setting).

To be perfectly honest, I can't remember the last time I actually bothered to print a photo, but I'm pretty sure that that 72dpi setting will be ignored when it comes to actually printing your images.

Advertisement