Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Venues near Limerick (approx 1 hr!)

Options
  • 17-05-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all, we just recently got engaged and are looking in to booking a wedding venue. We would love to have our reception in a country manor house that could hold approx 180 people. We have started with a short list of the following:

Aherlow House Hotel
    Springfort Hall (Mallow)
    Kilshane House Hotel
    Castleoaks
    Dunraven Arms
    Dundrum House Hotel

Being honest we feel Kilshane would be a bit expensive. We would love to hear peoples feedback on any of the above or any other suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Congrats to ye!!! exciting times ahead for ye...

I have been to a wedding at Spring fort hall is nice but I don't know there was no massive wow there, mind 180 people would fill it quite nicely..

Aherlow house to be honest don't even look, it is very run down and a little weather beaten the grounds are loverly but it is just shame they way the place is a let down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Castle Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Dunraven does a great wedding - outstanding food, and nice big room.

CastleOaks would be cheaper (I presume) but their grounds are very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've been to a wedding at Springfort Hall, the food and service were flawless but the grounds were a bit disappointing (cars parked very close to hotel entrance etc). We liked it in general. Wedding was about the same size as yours and the room was just right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I've been to dunraven a few times and it has never impressed. Good name, good location. That was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

A couple more for your list.
    Bunratty castle hotel
    Castletroy park hotel
    Lakeside hotel in Killaloe
    Anna Carriga near killaloe (probably near enough in price to kilshane)

The Dunraven is a good hotel but it is hard to personalise and the bedrooms for guests are very expensive.
    Kilshane is lovely but the kicker is that you have to guarantee to book the place out and some of the guest rooms aren't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bunratty is lovely, but it's very popular (both with locals and for destination weddings with Americans) so it can be difficult to get the date you want! When we went to talk to them last year there were no Saturdays available from April to late September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Attended a wedding in Castle Oaks the other week and was very impressed, food lovely and grounds very nice for photos etc. Residents Bar just kept going and going. AFAIK they got a very good deal too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Have you had a look at Listowel Arms Hotel?

I've attended and photographed a few weddings there and have been impressed every time. About an hour from limerick and no problem with your numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I've been to weddings in both aherlow house, and dundrum house, and while neither was bad, I wouldn't book my own wedding there. Aherlow is in the backa**e of nowhere, and for anyone who doesn't want to stay over, or if you intend to have people for the "afters", it's a pain to be driving there or back in the dark. I don't remember the food particularly, so it mustn't have been too bad (or too great). It could do with a bit of a spruce up too. Didn't stay there, so don't know about the rooms.
    Dundrum is alright. Along the same lines really, in that it hasn't seen too much redecoration over the last few years. Food very samish, not too bad, not too good. We stayed there last year for a friends wedding. Were quite late booking the room, so we were sleeping in the rafters in a room that time may have forgotten! And the lift didn't work. Also, last I heard, the hotel was in a bit of bother financially (possibly in receivership, but I'm not certain), so I don't know how happy I'd be handing over a deposit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

jlm29 wrote: »
    I've been to weddings in both aherlow house, and dundrum house, and while neither was bad, I wouldn't book my own wedding there. Aherlow is in the backa**e of nowhere, and for anyone who doesn't want to stay over, or if you intend to have people for the "afters", it's a pain to be driving there or back in the dark. I don't remember the food particularly, so it mustn't have been too bad (or too great). It could do with a bit of a spruce up too. Didn't stay there, so don't know about the rooms.
    Dundrum is alright. Along the same lines really, in that it hasn't seen too much redecoration over the last few years. Food very samish, not too bad, not too good. We stayed there last year for a friends wedding. Were quite late booking the room, so we were sleeping in the rafters in a room that time may have forgotten! And the lift didn't work. Also, last I heard, the hotel was in a bit of bother financially (possibly in receivership, but I'm not certain), so I don't know how happy I'd be handing over a deposit!

Dundrum has been a NAMA hotel for a while AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Star25

Thanks for all the posts guys. Sorry about the delay its been a crazy few weeks! So we scratched Aherlow altogether as we haven't heard anything good about it. Went to view the dunraven, ballykisteen and Springfort hall so far. I want to look at the castleoaks and possibly the woodlands also. So far I think Springfort hall is the winner. I love the banquet room it's fab with the stone walls etc. I've heard the food is good too. The only thing that puts me off is that the reception area isn't exclusively reserved. There could be random people in there having lunch when people arrive after the church. They've assured us that people usually are gone by about 4 though. It just seems like it would be a bit cramped. The dunraven is ok. Lovely gardens and I'd say the food is good but I think the place is a bit over rated. It's not very "grand" if you know what I mean? Got a price for Kilshane of 125 per head which is just crazy so that's definitely off the list! Oh decisions decisions!

Forgot to mention we've scrapped dundrum also. Ballykisteen was ok but wasn't overly impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Have you had a look at Listowel Arms Hotel?

I've attended and photographed a few weddings there and have been impressed every time. About an hour from limerick and no problem with your numbers

They were in the 100 best venues for one fab day this year. I think they are a hidden gem

They were in the 100 best venues for one fab day this year. I think they are a hidden gem

Listowel arms looks nice alright - especially the water out the back looks fab! I just don't like the way it looks like it's in the town centre in a corner (judging from the pics). Would prefer somewhere in the country side you know? Looks beautiful inside though I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Star25 wrote: »
    Listowel arms looks nice alright - especially the water out the back looks fab! I just don't like the way it looks like it's in the town centre in a corner (judging from the pics). Would prefer somewhere in the country side you know? Looks beautiful inside though I have to say.

It is in town centre but once you are in it doesn't feel like that. They are over looking the race track next door. Would you consider no. 1 Perry square in Limerick? They are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It is in town centre but once you are in it doesn't feel like that. They are over looking the race track next door. Would you consider no. 1 Perry square in Limerick? They are amazing

No 1 Pery Square is a really lovely venue but very limited regarding number of guests.
    I was in the Radisson recently after its refurb and its quite a nice venue, close enough to Limerick that a taxi back to the city is a handy option for any guests not staying over and also plenty of close by scenic spots for pictures.

Advertisement