Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars: Battlefront (3)

• 17-05-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is it worth pre-ordering?
    Do you think it will be good?
    I was disappointed when I found out there is no clone wars era in it. Will EA **** us over?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

TotaBiscuit probable have a good point with this. I would say if You dont want to be disappointed wait till the game comes out. To many hyped ones which were not to great. With recent games being just a shadow of the old ones its always better to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I know I shouldn't, but I know I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Considering how lame the actual pre-order items are, hell no.

Do you think it will be good?

Considering there is only 1 era included, no flight, no AOS and the game overall is a fraction of the size of the previous one, I wouldn't bet on it.

I was disappointed when I found out there is no clone wars era in it. Will EA **** us over?

Its EA, to quote a famous Texan, "gimme a hell yeah".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No

Maybe

Under new management, so absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Official website may help with those questions :D

http://eastarwarsbattlefront.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Been waiting for this game for years, and now I'm so bitterly disappointed.

Been waiting for this game for years, and now I'm so bitterly disappointed.

I'm not surprised. But in the end we make them to do games is such poor fashion, so we can mostly say thx to gamers. If we didn't preorder/buy so many poorly made games maybe it would look differently.
    No wonder so many 3rd party developers have a lot of success when they redo old games in proper way, like Xenonauts or War for The Overwolrd.
    Probably still it will have high sales thx to hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Coming from Battlefront 2 it's a tough pill to swallow that they're regressed with a lower player count, just one era on launch, and no space battles - both of which will probably be paid DLC to boot. The DLC model really irritates me the way it's gone. Worst recently was Call of Duty Advanced Warfare - option for Zombies in the main menu, click on it, and get a screen prompting me to buy Zombie mode! Was a base feature in all previous games.

Will Battlefront be a good game though? Probably, yes. People like to moan about Battlefield 4 but it was and is a stellar game. Will I pre-order? Possibly due to my rabid obsession with Star Wars. Will EA **** us over? Depending on how you quantify that statement, in some manner absolutely.

Some of the comparisons to Battlefront 2 are valid, some less so. Player count is kinda ****ty. Number of maps I don't care, I'd rather have a handful of solid maps than a heap of crappy ones - being frank, we always ended up playing the same 5 or 6 maps in Battlefront 2 anyway.

Campaign....never even played the BF2 campaign. The way the market has gone, most people playing Battlefield don't even bother with the single player campaign, and although I enjoyed BF3 and BF4's campaigns, I wouldn't be too fussed if they shipped without - Battlefield 2 in 2005 didn't have one, nor did Battlefield 1942.

AI players is also irrelevant in this day and age for the most part, and there being no confirmed vehicles doesn't worry me too much. It's a Battlefield game, there will be vehicles.

The only thing that truly irritates me is the 40 player count. That I just can't understand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Frostbite engine - highly detailed which means a huge amount of work making the models and art assets and all the rest. It also means the power requirements to render the amount of things at a 64 player vs 40 is considerable. It's the price we pay for wanting it shinier and prettier unfortunately. I'm still interested in seeing where it goes and how it turns out.

• Advertisement

To be honest for me saying that the amount of players depends of the graphic its a poor excuse. Especially that I wouldnt be suprised to see it ending in the same way like Watch Dogs or just recently Witcher. Like buying a hamburger in Mac. Nice on the picture but in the box...
    Games are done to quick with massive pressure on shipping date, hype doesnt help it.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Frostbite engine - highly detailed which means a huge amount of work making the models and art assets and all the rest. It also means the power requirements to render the amount of things at a 64 player vs 40 is considerable. It's the price we pay for wanting it shinier and prettier unfortunately. I'm still interested in seeing where it goes and how it turns out.

Battlefield 4 and Hardline are both built on Frostbite 3 which is the same engine for Battlefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alex_01

I don't want to be dissappointed but we'll just have to wait to find out I suppose.. Hopefully some gameplay will come out soon. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm sure we'll see something significant at E3, they've a lot of negativity to address re content and numbers and all the stuff that's "Missing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/alpha

Shame it wasnt key based, I was invited but off to Riga for the weekend.

Alex_01 wrote: »

When is the answer to this anything other than no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

When is the answer to this anything other than no?

Plenty of reasons to be honest.

The main reasons I pre-order is

a) Game title I'm already invested in and know I'll play it regardless (most obvious example, world of warcraft expansions

b) Take advantage of pre-order savings

I'm not to concerned with the DLC or exclusive ****. But when I pre-order with Amazon, I know I'll get the game at the cheapest the game ever goes to, from the beginning of my pre-order. Typically with Amazon a game comes out on pre-order expensive, but dips in price to entice more pre-orders.

It costs absolutely zero cent to do, and I can cancel right up to the night before launch, and again, it costs nothing, bar a minute of my time. Through the above method I've gotten new release games for PS4, for €35-40, while everyone else pays stupid prices like €60-70 in retail shops here. The Euro ****ting the bed has kinda made this less interesting now, but even for Arkham Knight (which I had on ps4 pre-order but decided to buy PC) my charge price would have been €47, significantly cheaper considering in Smyths at the weekend I see a €67 price tag.

I was able to pre-order a Arkham Knight key from G2A, for €40 for premium. That is the game, plus season pass, and some initial DLC. The standard edition was going for €30. Thats a significant saving, for a game I know I'm more then likely going to want to play.

I understand the general talk about pre-orders. In this day an age, when does a game ACTUALLY ever get sold out? I've never wanted a game in about 10 years, where I couldn't go into a shop and buy it. GTA5 was about the closest I've seen in years for a sell out, and even then I was waiting on my Amazon order, and saw a copy in Tesco and bout it on release day, at about 7pm that evening while shopping.

For PC, I guess there is even less reason. Games can physically never sell out when you are buying digitally.

So I fully get the arguement for "dont pre-order" since basically the purpose for doing it, is redundant now(games don't sell out) but this myth that is being spun that players pre-ordering are contributing to some downfall in gaming, is a myth, and to be honest, a tinfoil hat conspiracy.

There are those that actively argue that Arkham Knight was so bad, because WB saw the pre-order numbers and decided to cut costs by releasing a borked game, like that is how actual business works. Morons

I like Dice and I love the Battlefield series. I will most likely buy this game. Granted some EA games I get at a discount, I'll probably buy this,and I'd probably have no issue pre-ordering. I bought Hardline, was a ****ing travesty, and moved on with my life and to other games.

But I will say now, with confidence, and absolute no hesitation. Battlefront will be a ****ing riddle game on launch, and will take DICE atleast a week to release some patches to get the game in a stable condition. I know this because I've played every battlefield game, and not one I can recall has ever had a smooth launch. But I look forward to the absolute panic from everyone, and people saying how pre-orders were the cause of the game to have a poor launch : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I have the game ready for install now on my origin account cant wait to try it out
    does this mean i ll get the full game ? when officially launched

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

levitronix wrote: »
    I have the game ready for install now on my origin account cant wait to try it out
    does this mean i ll get the full game ? when officially launched

Did you pre-order? If not, then no, you won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I must be the only one here optimistic about the game :pac:

I wouldn't preorder, never do though, might as well wait and see what the game is like.

I think we could be pleasantly surprised

I'm deliberately not signed up for the Alpha - I want to play it on day one the way it was intended to be played :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm deliberately not signed up for the Alpha - I want to play it on day one the way it was intended to be played :)

Day one, and the way it was intended to be played often don't coincide with EA games.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was seriously annoyed the Walkers cant freely roam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Headshot wrote: »

Honestly i agree with them, on rails requires less balancing.

Played enough bf1942 where some idiot beached a ship screwing over the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Anyone playing this today? Played a little bit of multiplayer and single player earlier. Looks pretty sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

i played last night for while , had to use keyboard and mouse , which i havnt used for a long time and i suck , but i love the game already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

me want alpha :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Headshot wrote: »
    Ah, I was afraid of that. Kind of like a more linear Battlefield experience. I hope this games works out good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

levitronix wrote: »
    i played last night for while , had to use keyboard and mouse , which i havnt used for a long time and i suck , but i love the game already

Some Youtubers were saying the maps are kinda small and the flight controls are really bad. Did you experience any of this?

Downloading now SSD needed?

Advertisement