Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defense Forces

• 17-05-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have a few questions regarding the RDF, PDF and Civil Defense.. I would be thankful if somebody helped me out with them.

1. If you join the Reserve, do you go over-seas? Can you still attend college and have a life at the weekends??
    2. What does the Civil Defense entail? What do they do and how do you join?
    3. Can you leave the RDF / Civil Defense whenever you want?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

OP; I think you'll find this forum more suitable for your questions. Please note a new charter is in effect.

//MOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I dunno about civil defense but in the RDF, you won't be deployed overseas. Only the PDF (Permanent Defense Forces do that)

It's very compatible with a social life and college but it's not a doss either. In our company, we train one night every 2 weeks with occasional weekends away and a few weeks of full-time-training each year. If you prioritise, you can easily fit it in with college, friends and outside activities.

You can apply to leave at any time, it's fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Alex_01 wrote: »
    I have a few questions regarding the RDF, PDF and Civil Defense.. I would be thankful if somebody helped me out with them.

1. If you join the Reserve, do you go over-seas?
    3. Can you leave the RDF / Civil Defense whenever you want?

1. Being Pedantic. RDF have deployed outside of Ireland but you are talking 2 or 3 in 10 years, only on a very short term basis and not on UN missions - mostly exercises and training courses. Very select few. Don't join the RDF to go overseas in other words.

3. You have to serve 3 years in the RDF (currently). However, if you stop showing up, you are put on an inactive list and discharged when your 3 years are up. You probably will not know that it happened. That may all change soon though. Getting out within those 3 years is not straightforward.

Advertisement