Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which TD deserves a vote in Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

aunt aggie wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt Enda wants to be re-elected.

He's just going through the motions.

Really? What makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Really? What makes you say that?

Well by his performance in Mayo it's like he just gave up, lost interest so to speak.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The people that voted for him and his party expected results for their county, they really don't care how well Dublin is doing when it's them waiting in line for the dole.

I'm far from Kenny's biggest fan, but that kind of thinking is not really accounting for a lot of things:
    • Dublin is Ireland's economic powerhouse, so Dublin recovering will help other places -- even if it takes a while to trickle down (and even if the Government suffers for that delay).
    • The bulk of people in Mayo are not waiting in line for the dole.
    • Many Mayo companies do businesses with Dublin-based individuals, companies, and state agencies.
    • There's also a lot of Mayo people based in Dublin -- so there's a lot of Mayo people who do care about Dublin for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dollseyes

6541 wrote: »
    Well by his performance in Mayo it's like he just gave up, lost interest so to speak.

Plus he's not coming back to Mayo as he knows he's not wanted! I Heard he's building a nice big lump of a house in Kerry!!!!

monument wrote: »
    I'm far from Kenny's biggest fan, but that kind of thinking is not really accounting for a lot of things:
    • Dublin is Ireland's economic powerhouse, so Dublin recovering will help other places -- even if it takes a while to trickle down (and even if the Government suffers for that delay).
    • The bulk of people in Mayo are not waiting in line for the dole.
    • Many Mayo companies do businesses with Dublin-based individuals, companies, and state agencies.
    • There's also a lot of Mayo people based in Dublin -- so there's a lot of Mayo people who do care about Dublin for many reasons.

London and Manchester are just as important for many, many families based in Mayo. In fact, I can think of more people working in the UK from Mayo than I can in Dublin.

So maybe Enda should concentrate on improving London too.

It's the trickle down attitude that gets us into this mess of boom and bust time after time.

Mayo needs industry, it needs jobs that can support families. We don't need any more minimum wage seasonal cafe and hotel jobs. They won't bring my family home.

As for the dole, of course most people in mayo aren't on the dole. Take people off job bridge and bring back all the people who emigrated and you would come close to 50% unemployment in the county though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Enda Kenny has got to go, it will be a poor reflection on us Mayo people if he is voted in again, if he was elected again it would be like stockholm syndrome, the abused (Mayo people) voting for the abuser (Enda Kenny)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

has a sitting Taoiseach ever lost his seat in an election in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GrowupMayo

Why has Kilcoyne not distanced himself from the First Mayo Independent group yet?

While First Mayo Independent apparently have some grassroots people who could become strong local campaigners, the group seems a bit all over the place -- in terms of having candidates who are clearly left wing and clearly rightwing -- and mixing single-issue groups (anti-wind turbines, anti-water charges, anti-pylons etc) into one does not seem like a good idea for stability... What happens when a candidate is not fully supportive of one of the interist groups' goals?

What happens when a candidate disagrees with one of the founder's extream conservatism?

It could change, but at this stage none of the First Mayo Independent candidates seem to have a chance and pitting 7 or more of them against each other to go down to an undefined exact number of final candidates seems like it could harm their chances, rather than help matters.

if all goes half well for them, while First Mayo Independent is unlikely to win a seat, it might be a big distrupting factor. Jordan in Ballina, with a FG background, for example would likely suck first preferences from the area's current FG TD.

I would say reason Kilcoyne has not distanced himself from 1st Independent MAYO (correct title) is that trying to decide if will add to his votes or not.

Having read their stuff the Group is meant to be all over the place as regards candidates as it exists to help Independent Candidates get elected. Any Independent can go through their process right wing, left wing and centre and they can have whatever policies they like pro wind, anti wind, pro water charges, ant water charges, pro referendum, anti referendum. Electorate taking part will decide who they like best and what policies they consider important.

If candidates get elected they are beholden to the electorate and no one else. Not even 1st Independent Mayo.

Any of the 7 are better than the current sorry bunch and the more electorate gets to see them the more they will realise this.

An Independent will win a seat in Mayo next time. Even last time there was a SF \ Independent combined quota with Kilcoyne last to go. Both Independents \ SF will poll significantly better next time which will ensure a seat for one of them. As Mayo very slow to warm to SF will be Independent. 1st Independent if all Independent candidates come on board will bring a discipline to Independent camp and ensure that only best placed go forward to election proper. The independents going forward will have an part electoral mandate from the electorate who have helped choose Independent candidates and will also have a good profile all over the county.

Kilcoyne most likely Independent winner at this point. If he does win hard to seen room for both Enda and Ring. 3 from West Mayo having lost 7000 votes from around Ballinrobe to Galway I think not. The same applies to Lisa Chambers. If she manages to win will not be good for Ring\Kenny.

I see 2 West Mayo (from Kenny \ Ring \ Kilcoyne \ Chambers) and 2 Noth and East (from Calleary Mulherin and Independent)

Conway Walsh too bottled up in Belmullet to deliver for SF. If Gerry Murray added he would have more of a chance. In any event I see only small chance for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

GrowupMayo wrote: »
    I would say reason Kilcoyne has not distanced himself from 1st Independent MAYO (correct title) is that trying to decide if will add to his votes or not.

Having read their stuff the Group is meant to be all over the place as regards candidates as it exists to help Independent Candidates get elected. Any Independent can go through their process right wing, left wing and centre and they can have whatever policies they like pro wind, anti wind, pro water charges, ant water charges, pro referendum, anti referendum. Electorate taking part will decide who they like best and what policies they consider important.

If candidates get elected they are beholden to the electorate and no one else. Not even 1st Independent Mayo.

Any of the 7 are better than the current sorry bunch and the more electorate gets to see them the more they will realise this.

An Independent will win a seat in Mayo next time. Even last time there was a SF \ Independent combined quota with Kilcoyne last to go. Both Independents \ SF will poll significantly better next time which will ensure a seat for one of them. As Mayo very slow to warm to SF will be Independent. 1st Independent if all Independent candidates come on board will bring a discipline to Independent camp and ensure that only best placed go forward to election proper. The independents going forward will have an part electoral mandate from the electorate who have helped choose Independent candidates and will also have a good profile all over the county.

Kilcoyne most likely Independent winner at this point. If he does win hard to seen room for both Enda and Ring. 3 from West Mayo having lost 7000 votes from around Ballinrobe to Galway I think not. The same applies to Lisa Chambers. If she manages to win will not be good for Ring\Kenny.

I see 2 West Mayo (from Kenny \ Ring \ Kilcoyne \ Chambers) and 2 Noth and East (from Calleary Mulherin and Independent)

Conway Walsh too bottled up in Belmullet to deliver for SF. If Gerry Murray added he would have more of a chance. In any event I see only small chance for them.

Interesting take but I think there is no way Ring or Enda lose their seats. FG won 4 last time out......even with loss of South Mayo they should have plenty of votes to get 2 candidates accross the line. I think Ring will romp home and that his and Mulherins transfers will bring Enda home.

I think Dara Calleary wins for FF

4th seat is where it gets really interesting. I think Lisa Chambers is in with a shot, but if Kilcoyne runs...I think it would hurt her as it would split the Castlebar vote 3 ways. While it may hurt Enda in terms of first preferences, its second preferences that will get him home and dry.

With Therese Ruane not running, would Lisa get some of her first preferences or would they all go to Rose Conway Walsh?? Who knows.

I heard good things about Rose Conway Walsh too, but given where we are at this stage in the recovery, electing a Sinn Fein candidate would be a step in the wrong direction.

Maybe if Lisa and Rose formed a pact ONE of them may get over the line. A capable female TD would be a good thing for the county, especially after the Bev disaster.

whitey1 wrote: »
    Interesting take but I think there is no way Ring or Enda lose their seats. FG won 4 last time out......even with loss of South Mayo they should have plenty of votes to get 2 candidates accross the line. I think Ring will romp home and that his and Mulherins transfers will bring Enda home.

I think Dara Calleary wins for FF

4th seat is where it gets really interesting. I think Lisa Chambers is in with a shot, but if Kilcoyne runs...I think it would hurt her as it would split the Castlebar vote 3 ways. While it may hurt Enda in terms of first preferences, its second preferences that will get him home and dry.

With Therese Ruane not running, would Lisa get some of her first preferences or would they all go to Rose Conway Walsh?? Who knows.

I heard good things about Rose Conway Walsh too, but given where we are at this stage in the recovery, electing a Sinn Fein candidate would be a step in the wrong direction.

Maybe if Lisa and Rose formed a pact ONE of them may get over the line. A capable female TD would be a good thing for the county, especially after the Bev disaster.

I haven't met a single person in or around castlebar that is voting for enda, he is finished.

As for a capable female TD, I think mayo will have to keep looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GrowupMayo

I haven't met a single person in or around castlebar that is voting for enda, he is finished.

As for a capable female TD, I think mayo will have to keep looking.

Any suggestions for a potential Woman TD. A good one in the Independent field would make race very interesting. Cynthia Clampet who runs Mayo \ Roscommon hospice has been mentioned as a possibility while others say Bev is raring to go again.

Conway Walsh would be OK except in wrong party. Chambers don't think she has any substance just there because she is a woman a bit like Mulherin. There must be someone good out there of the female persuasion.

London and Manchester are just as important for many, many families based in Mayo. In fact, I can think of more people working in the UK from Mayo than I can in Dublin.

So maybe Enda should concentrate on improving London too.

That's not the case for me -- I know more people from Mayo working in Dublin than I know working in the UK.

It's also not the case for most businesses I know in Mayo -- they are more dependent on direct or contract work from Dublin.

It's also the case that Dublin pays more tax than all the tax collected in Dublin -- and that is spent around the country!

It's the trickle down attitude that gets us into this mess of boom and bust time after time.

The extreme nature of the boom and bust had nothing to do with any "trickle down attitude" --

Mayo needs industry, it needs jobs that can support families. We don't need any more minimum wage seasonal cafe and hotel jobs. They won't bring my family home.

Mayo needs a mix of things. No one solution will work for everybody.

There's a need for industry. And while "seasonal cafe and hotel jobs" may not suit your family, but such seasonal work is likely to suit others or at least benefit others (and more people employed means more money in the local economy etc). The goal with tourism is however to make more of it all year long and less and less seasonal as possible.

As for the dole, of course most people in mayo aren't on the dole. Take people off job bridge and bring back all the people who emigrated and you would come close to 50% unemployment in the county though.

I strongly disagree with Jobbridge, but there's no way recent emigrants + Jobbridge people comes anywhere close to 50% of the working age population of the county.

It might be true of some area of towns or some villages or rural areas, but it's no way true overall across the county.

That's not the case for me -- I know more people from Mayo working in Dublin than I know working in the UK.

It's also not the case for most businesses I know in Mayo -- they are more dependent on direct or contract work from Dublin.

It's also the case that Dublin pays more tax than all the tax collected in Dublin -- and that is spent around the country!

The extreme nature of the boom and bust had nothing to do with any "trickle down attitude" --

Mayo needs a mix of things. No one solution will work for everybody.

There's a need for industry. And while "seasonal cafe and hotel jobs" may not suit your family, but such seasonal work is likely to suit others or at least benefit others (and more people employed means more money in the local economy etc). The goal with tourism is however to make more of it all year long and less and less seasonal as possible.

I strongly disagree with Jobbridge, but there's no way recent emigrants + Jobbridge people comes anywhere close to 50% of the working age population of the county.

It might be true of some area of towns or some villages or rural areas, but it's no way true overall across the county.

I disagree with all of your counter points but I think we will never see the other persons pov. There are far more young people from Mayo who have left the country than in Dublin, it's not even close. I can name 10 emmagrants for every mayo person I know in Dublin

I will agree on the 50% unemployment rate however but I will add non jobs to the list. The likes of tesco, only giving staff 25 hours a week. Plenty more like them and plenty more on zero hour contracts.

I am lucky enough to have work, from my own initiative, and I deal with a broad spectrum of businesses across the county. Dublin is not as important as you think it is. I'm not saying it's not important, just not as important as London/UK to mayo.

We do need one big employment project. They rest will come from that. We need to look past tourism and start making things again.

As for seasonal work suiting some people, of course it does. It won't build a house or put a child through collage. We need secure long term employment all year round. There is enough cafes and hotels in mayo paying minium wage. We don't need any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paddy James

I disagree with all of your counter points but I think we will never see the other persons pov. There are far more young people from Mayo who have left the country than in Dublin, it's not even close. I can name 10 emmagrants for every mayo person I know in Dublin

I will agree on the 50% unemployment rate however but I will add non jobs to the list. The likes of tesco, only giving staff 25 hours a week. Plenty more like them and plenty more on zero hour contracts.

I am lucky enough to have work, from my own initiative, and I deal with a broad spectrum of businesses across the county. Dublin is not as important as you think it is. I'm not saying it's not important, just not as important as London/UK to mayo.

We do need one big employment project. They rest will come from that. We need to look past tourism and start making things again.

As for seasonal work suiting some people, of course it does. It won't build a house or put a child through collage. We need secure long term employment all year round. There is enough cafes and hotels in mayo paying minium wage. We don't need any more.

Totally agree but the big question is:

What large employer can Mayo attract that will pay large salaries ? Yes we have Allergan Baxter Hollister Lionbridge Coca Cola Mc Hale etc but would the googles of this world be attracted to Mayo rather than the "bright lights" of the East of the country.

Would be great to get a few ideas going to pass on to our TD's when they coming knocking on our doors in the not to distant future but whether they will act on the suggestions is another question!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Totally agree but the big question is:

What large employer can Mayo attract that will pay large salaries ? Yes we have Allergan Baxter Hollister Lionbridge Coca Cola Mc Hale etc but would the googles of this world be attracted to Mayo rather than the "bright lights" of the East of the country.

Would be great to get a few ideas going to pass on to our TD's when they coming knocking on our doors in the not to distant future but whether they will act on the suggestions is another question!

They can't fill the high skilled jobs in Dublin now . can't see them getting the skills in Mayo. There is no office space in castlebar anyway.

irishgeo wrote: »
    They can't fill the high skilled jobs in Dublin now . can't see them getting the skills in Mayo. There is no office space in castlebar anyway.
    True re office space but as we all know where there's a will there's a way there's plenty of empty buildings in the area out towards Roadstone and Baxter. Also there has to be some simply ideas to reignite the Main Street of Castlebar which from looking at last weekend is a disgrace to every TD in Mayo. Even a two year 50% tax rebate against the rates bill is a start and I know a lot of tax schemes have been a disaster but link it to a commitment to employing x amount of people and once this achieved and a tax clearance cert produced then the 50% tax rebate based on the rates paid is refunded.

Surely a TD that bases his or her election or reelection on solid employment proposals is the person to reelect as to date none have done a lot.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

GrowupMayo wrote: »
    Conway Walsh would be OK except in wrong party.

That, and some sort of issue with fluoride.

Anyone who's willing to embrace pseudo-scientific woo in order to appeal to ignorant populism automatically disqualifies themselves from my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

has a sitting Taoiseach ever lost his seat in an election in ireland?

Well you could say Brian Cowan. He didn't actually run but he would have been out on his hole if he did.
    I think kenny was very foolish in giving Ring the job he did. With the wild Atlantic way etc, there would always be funding coming into areas down the west coast. If he has put someone from Dublin in Rings position, Kenny himself could have taken all the glory for what looks like a significant share of funds going to westport and mayo in general. As it stands, Ring had guaranteed his re election while kenny looks bad.

mickdw wrote: »
    Well you could say Brian Cowan. He didn't actually run but he would have been out on his hole if he did.
    I think kenny was very foolish in giving Ring the job he did. With the wild Atlantic way etc, there would always be funding coming into areas down the west coast. If he has put someone from Dublin in Rings position, Kenny himself could have taken all the glory for what looks like a significant share of funds going to westport and mayo in general. As it stands, Ring had guaranteed his re election while kenny looks bad.

Get the feeling Ring forced Enda's hand on that one and demanded the role

Lads, our thinking too short term.

We don't have the skills? Change the education system.....

No office space in castlebar? Look else where or build some.

We have many high tech companies throughout the country. I'm all for that. What we need to balance the equation is manufacturing jobs.

If the Nissan factory in Sunderland, the BMW mini factory in Oxford can do it why can't we? Most of the components for those factories are shipped in from abroad.

We have to think long term and not from puller to post. It's not working and won't work the way we are doing things. The people we have entrusted to make things happen have zero experience in business and making things happen. Our leader and local TD went from college to the class room looking after 5 year olds, to being entrusted to essentially run our County.

I know I for one would not let any of the main party TDs run my business. It would be gone under within a year.

It's time for a change and nothing short of a radical one will do.

• Advertisement

We have many high tech companies throughout the country. I'm all for that. What we need to balance the equation is manufacturing jobs.

If the Nissan factory in Sunderland, the BMW mini factory in Oxford can do it why can't we? Most of the components for those factories are shipped in from abroad.

We have to think long term and not from puller to post. It's not working and won't work the way we are doing things. The people we have entrusted to make things happen have zero experience in business and making things happen. Our leader and local TD went from college to the class room looking after 5 year olds, to being entrusted to essentially run our County.

I know I for one would not let any of the main party TDs run my business. It would be gone under within a year.

Well said

There are far more young people from Mayo who have left the country than in Dublin, it's not even close. I can name 10 emmagrants for every mayo person I know in Dublin

We've gone from more Mayo people in Dublin vs London to you now narrowing it down to young people (I was talking about people of all ages, not just young people), and now you're broadening it out to all emmigrants, and not just those gone to London?!! That's changing the goal posts!

Dublin pays more tax than the tax spent on Dublin so we should not just look at the jobs in Dublin but the jobs in the public and private sector which are supported by Dublin -- I know Ballina businesses which have increased the numbers employed because of work from Dublin. All around the country the massive Dublin tax take subsidies counties like Mayo. If it was not for Dublin there would be less public jobs all around Ireland, jobs sometime filled by Mayo people regardless of county.

Even in far better times in 2004, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Longford, Kerry, Wexford and Carlow all paid less in tax than was paid back in benefits: http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/benefits-paid-in-7-counties-exceed-tax-take-1.1131363 -- that's not to mention other investment spent in the county.

I'm Mayo born and live here now again. But the amount of bull spoken about Dublin and the lack of understanding that Dublin (and a limited number of other locations) subsidies Mayo is frightening. It's unreal that somebody could in anyway suggest that Mayo is overall more dependent on London. It might be the case that London is more important to you but that's not the case overall -- the figures are clear about that. That's before we move onto Mayo businesses and the general link between them and Dublin's economy... if the economy in Dublin was worse there would be major impacts for a broad spectrum of Mayo business from tourism to tech to farming to large and small contractors.

Zero hour contracts are shameful and if you know of any in Mayo you should at least let our TDs know.

BTW Ireland's homegrown Dunnes Stores are reportedly far worse on work hour security and conditions than Tesco (even if they are not saints). There would be little chance of Tesco acting like Dunnes last week in closing down a store without notice to staff and no communication over the security of their jobs, all over a childish fight over an entrance to their shop.

Having "one big employment project" is often in the long-term unstable. If a town is looking for a big employer, it should be looking for at least two of them in different sectors. Two or three or more mid-sized would be better than one large one -- there's major dangers of relying on one employer.

Seasonal may not "put a child through college" but it often supports students in college to partly pay their own way, and it allows other people to be less dependent on state benefits, at least part of the year. The tourism and food sector is very important to Mayo and it still has scope to be developed. The last thing we need is people in other industries looking down at it for whatever reason. Tourism has different levels of pay, but all jobs can't be high-paying ones -- any TD or candidate who tells you otherwise is a liar who would need a miracle to keep their promises.

In any case, investment in tourism is also investment in making areas more attractive to outside and home industry - from cleaning up towns to building better walking and cycling routes to improving local attractions to improving transport links etc.

Also there has to be some simply ideas to reignite the Main Street of Castlebar which from looking at last weekend is a disgrace to every TD in Mayo. Even a two year 50% tax rebate against the rates bill is a start and I know a lot of tax schemes have been a disaster but link it to a commitment to employing x amount of people and once this achieved and a tax clearance cert produced then the 50% tax rebate based on the rates paid is refunded.

Surely a TD that bases his or her election or reelection on solid employment proposals is the person to reelect as to date none have done a lot.

Castlebar's Main Street does not need a 50% tax rebate (which I'm not sure how you could apply such a measure to just one area in one town). The street needs to become a destination which is more attractive than the nearby shopping area. The only way to do that is to up sell the area, not down sell it.

Many area councillors are already asking for pedestrianisation to be looked at, and while that might not suit all consumers or businesses, it has a far better changing of turning the street around that any plan to-date.

Car factories have long history in the UK and before takeovers, they were heavily subsidised to modernise them and their workforces. And it's not all rosy with them -- for example, in 2009, there was 850 job losses at Mini car plant.

Mayo has no history in such employment and there would be major delay and capacity issues with transporting bulk amounts of cars from Mayo to the UK and Europe compare to transport from base in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Agree. Our office has had trouble getting skilled staff in the past and opened a Dublin satalite office for this reason.

I'd like to see 20 small companies instead of one large with the same employment numbers. If the big company goes, which has happened loads in the past, it can kill a town overnight. That doesn't happen to the same extent with several smaller companies.

Dudda wrote: »
    Agree. Our office has had trouble getting skilled staff in the past and opened a Dublin satalite office for this reason.

I'd like to see 20 small companies instead of one large with the same employment numbers. If the big company goes, which has happened loads in the past, it can kill a town overnight. That doesn't happen to the same extent with several smaller companies.

Exactly and homegrown ones are worth their weight in gold for similar reasons (less likely to leave or if they need to expand elsewhere they will leave a section here).

We've gone from more Mayo people in Dublin vs London to you now narrowing it down to young people (I was talking about people of all ages, not just young people), and now you're broadening it out to all emmigrants, and not just those gone to London?!! That's changing the goal posts!

Dublin pays more tax than the tax spent on Dublin so we should not just look at the jobs in Dublin but the jobs in the public and private sector which are supported by Dublin -- I know Ballina businesses which have increased the numbers employed because of work from Dublin. All around the country the massive Dublin tax take subsidies counties like Mayo. If it was not for Dublin there would be less public jobs all around Ireland, jobs sometime filled by Mayo people regardless of county.

Even in far better times in 2004, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Longford, Kerry, Wexford and Carlow all paid less in tax than was paid back in benefits: http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/benefits-paid-in-7-counties-exceed-tax-take-1.1131363 -- that's not to mention other investment spent in the county.

I'm Mayo born and live here now again. But the amount of bull spoken about Dublin and the lack of understanding that Dublin (and a limited number of other locations) subsidies Mayo is frightening. It's unreal that somebody could in anyway suggest that Mayo is overall more dependent on London. It might be the case that London is more important to you but that's not the case overall -- the figures are clear about that. That's before we move onto Mayo businesses and the general link between them and Dublin's economy... if the economy in Dublin was worse there would be major impacts for a broad spectrum of Mayo business from tourism to tech to farming to large and small contractors.

Zero hour contracts are shameful and if you know of any in Mayo you should at least let our TDs know.

BTW Ireland's homegrown Dunnes Stores are reportedly far worse on work hour security and conditions than Tesco (even if they are not saints). There would be little chance of Tesco acting like Dunnes last week in closing down a store without notice to staff and no communication over the security of their jobs, all over a childish fight over an entrance to their shop.

Having "one big employment project" is often in the long-term unstable. If a town is looking for a big employer, it should be looking for at least two of them in different sectors. Two or three or more mid-sized would be better than one large one -- there's major dangers of relying on one employer.

Seasonal may not "put a child through college" but it often supports students in college to partly pay their own way, and it allows other people to be less dependent on state benefits, at least part of the year. The tourism and food sector is very important to Mayo and it still has scope to be developed. The last thing we need is people in other industries looking down at it for whatever reason. Tourism has different levels of pay, but all jobs can't be high-paying ones -- any TD or candidate who tells you otherwise is a liar who would need a miracle to keep their promises.

In any case, investment in tourism is also investment in making areas more attractive to outside and home industry - from cleaning up towns to building better walking and cycling routes to improving local attractions to improving transport links etc.

Castlebar's Main Street does not need a 50% tax rebate (which I'm not sure how you could apply such a measure to just one area in one town). The street needs to become a destination which is more attractive than the nearby shopping area. The only way to do that is to up sell the area, not down sell it.

Many area councillors are already asking for pedestrianisation to be looked at, and while that might not suit all consumers or businesses, it has a far better changing of turning the street around that any plan to-date.

Car factories have long history in the UK and before takeovers, they were heavily subsidised to modernise them and their workforces. And it's not all rosy with them -- for example, in 2009, there was 850 job losses at Mini car plant.

Mayo has no history in such employment and there would be major delay and capacity issues with transporting bulk amounts of cars from Mayo to the UK and Europe compare to transport from base in England.

Well written post

I am interested in the small print of upselling the Main Street as all expanded suggestions can only help. A pedestrianised street could only be a positive and I could see it becoming a hive of activity once carefully planned and executed. I also reckon the Main Street in Ballina between Penny's and Supermacs should be closed to traffic.

Again though with Mayo having so many TD's that are in government isn't it fair to say they haven't done a lot to help the Main Street of Castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Well written post

I am interested in the small print of upselling the Main Street as all expanded suggestions can only help. A pedestrianised street could only be a positive and I could see it becoming a hive of activity once carefully planned and executed. I also reckon the Main Street in Ballina between Penny's and Supermacs should be closed to traffic.

Again though with Mayo having so many TD's that are in government isn't it fair to say they haven't done a lot to help the Main Street of Castlebar?

All due respect, but the decision to "move" the commercial hub of the town to behind Market Sq was taken many years ago. If fingers need to be pointed, they need to be pointed at plenty of other people besides Enda Kenny

All due respect, but the decision to "move" the commercial hub of the town to behind Market Sq was taken many years ago. If fingers need to be pointed, they need to be pointed at plenty of other people besides Enda Kenny

Note I did generalise the comment re TD's not just pointing at one.

Yes you are correct that it was taken years ago but we are where we are now and ideas and action are needed at local and national level.

But what TD has championed the cause of Castlebar ?

I should have seen this coming, I explicitly said young people as I know someone would come back with "what about all the students from Mayo in Dublin"

No moving of goal posts here, there are far more Mayo natives working in London than in Dublin, old and young alike. Far more medium-high wealth individuals sending back money and spending it in Mayo are living and working in London. Just go to Belmullet on any weekend and have a look around. UK Reg cars everywhere and plenty of money being spent.

I am not disputing any of this, my point is simply that Dublin is not as important as you think it is. Of course it has importance, its the major economic and population hub of the country but it is seen as some kind of mecca by many which it is not. Its a large fish in a small pond here but internationally its just not all that relevant.

Yes I know of some zero hour contracts in Mayo. Letting our TDs know..... You have to be kidding? They clearly do not care or have the power to do anything about it.

What are you on about, why bring that point up? Its like saying my neighbours slurry smells better than mine! They might all stink and I am not trying to defend any of them, slurry, Dunnes or Tesco.

I agree 100%. We need as many as we can attract, one big one will lead on to more, much like it has in Dublin. Believe me, I understand the pitfalls of a town/area relying on one big industry. Still if we did have one big new business and if it all went to the wall it couldnt be much worse than it is now in Mayo.
    Again, you are making a non point, less dependent on state benefits etc, lets move past the obvious points. As I have said, the jobs in tourism are important ones. What I am saying is and I am having to repeat myself, we have enough minimum wage jobs. We dont need any more, they wont bring families home to Mayo.

No one is arguing that point, of course tourism is important. Your going to tell me clean air is vital next.....

Of course its not all rosy, nothing is. So your thinking is that we shouldnt attract or try to attract this type of enterprise because the jobs might one day be taken away?

As for Mayo having no history in such employment, wow. Lets just turn off the lights and close the roads. Of course it wont happen over night, we need a plan for or the actual infrastructure to attract the kind of investment I am talking about and the kind of investment Mayo desperately needs.

If we all had your thought process there would be no Google, Facebook etc in the country. "ah sure what would we know about that lads, we have never done that before". Thats a real defeatist way of thinking. Some outside and even inside of this country might even call it Irish thinking. Unbelievable.

Right, just let me get this right, the decision was made many years ago. Enda Kenny has been in power for 40 years, so the decision was made in the early 70's?

A TD for 40 years and he had no say or input in where the commercial center was to be located? I find that incredible.

• Advertisement

Note I did generalise the comment re TD's not just pointing at one.

Yes you are correct that it was taken years ago but we are where we are now and ideas and action are needed at local and national level.

But what TD has championed the cause of Castlebar ?

None of them have championed the cause, they wouldnt know where to start.

Not one of the current has any expericece of anything other than political life. Sitting on boards waiting for their "turn" to run for election.

How could the county be any other way than the how it is now when we have the leader of the country who became a TD at 22, having spent 2 years looking after 5 year olds? Mulhern and Callery have done nothing outside of political circles and handy positions on boards around the county. Ring is a fixer with the insight and vision of a bat. He will get you a medical card and get a pat on the back but he doesnt have the guts to tackle the underlying problem of why you didnt get the medical card in the first place.

How can we expect it to be any different. I will say again, I would not let any of them run my business for a day. They have no idea about the real world. They can listen all they want to people talking about how hard it is but they will never understand, in the same way that I can never fully understand going through child birth. Sure I know how it works and I can say I understand but I will never know.

I dont think any of them are evil or bad, my father canvased and campaigned in the 70's and 80's at Enda's side, in fact he stood on the steps of Leinster House with Enda when he got elected. I do however think that none of them know what they are doing. Enda Kenny is not a leader, in any sense of the word. He has no experience of anything other than political life and clearly, without any question, that has shown itself without doubt to not be enough to run a country for the benefit of the people.

Advertisement