Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which TD deserves a vote in Mayo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I should have seen this coming, I explicitly said young people as I know someone would come back with "what about all the students from Mayo in Dublin"

No moving of goal posts here, there are far more Mayo natives working in London than in Dublin, old and young alike. Far more medium-high wealth individuals sending back money and spending it in Mayo are living and working in London. Just go to Belmullet on any weekend and have a look around. UK Reg cars everywhere and plenty of money being spent.

You're now using UK registered cars to support an argument about about London with UK cars -- the population of the UK is 64 million. While London is big enough, conflating the UK and London is a bit much. I don't know about Belmullet but most of the UK cars I see around are tourists, or travellers. I know of far more people coming back from Dublin every weekend or few weekends.

I am not disputing any of this, my point is simply that Dublin is not as important as you think it is. Of course it has importance, its the major economic and population hub of the country but it is seen as some kind of mecca by many which it is not. Its a large fish in a small pond here but internationally its just not all that relevant.

It's the large fish in a pond it shares with Mayo.

It's a fact that Dublin is clearly more important to Mayo -- unless London is going to start paying for Mayo's benefits bill anytime soon? Maybe London will also pay for our roads investments? And our teachers? Etc...

Yes I know of some zero hour contracts in Mayo. Letting our TDs know..... You have to be kidding? They clearly do not care or have the power to do anything about it.

But you could not be bother contacting them? Or just emailing them about it? Are you for real? What do you have to lose by emailing them?

I agree 100%. We need as many as we can attract, one big one will lead on to more, much like it has in Dublin. Believe me, I understand the pitfalls of a town/area relying on one big industry. Still if we did have one big new business and if it all went to the wall it couldnt be much worse than it is now in Mayo.

You said: "We do need one big employment project. They rest will come from that".

I'm fundamentally disagreeing with you on that. Mayo should not be so focused on one goal which might never happen. If you want to add on bits now, than that's grand but I was replying to what you said in another post.

Sure we need to look at attracting large investment, but we mainly need a mix of things from promoting start-ups to fostering growth in current businesses to attracting a mix of mid to large firms.

Again, you are making a non point, less dependent on state benefits etc, lets move past the obvious points. As I have said, the jobs in tourism are important ones. What I am saying is and I am having to repeat myself, we have enough minimum wage jobs. We dont need any more, they wont bring families home to Mayo.

They won't bring families home to Mayo, no. But we have loads of people still here who also need work.

No one is arguing that point, of course tourism is important. Your going to tell me clean air is vital next.....

You're the one who said "We need to look past tourism" -- that to most people is not respecting tourism as important. You were being dismissive of tourism and now you're back tracking.

Of course its not all rosy, nothing is. So your thinking is that we shouldnt attract or try to attract this type of enterprise because the jobs might one day be taken away?

As for Mayo having no history in such employment, wow. Lets just turn off the lights and close the roads. Of course it wont happen over night, we need a plan for or the actual infrastructure to attract the kind of investment I am talking about and the kind of investment Mayo desperately needs.

If we all had your thought process there would be no Google, Facebook etc in the country. "ah sure what would we know about that lads, we have never done that before". Thats a real defeatist way of thinking. Some outside and even inside of this country might even call it Irish thinking. Unbelievable.

You were suggesting to go after car manufacturing. The planning and policies put in place to attract the likes of Google and Facebook has little to with what would be needed to attract heavy industry like car manufacturing.

And, again, there would be serious barriers to transporting cars from the west of Ireland to the main European markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The west of Ireland could allow itself to be used for developing new technologies. For example allow cash rich companies like Google, Apple and Amazon to test drones. Let them test delivery of pizza and other small items to rural locations. They could test them for search and rescue in our remote mountains and seas, develop mapping technologies, etc. Strict laws in the States and UK prevent them from even testing. This would require changes in legislation to allow controlled testing in rural and non built up areas but could potentially lead to well paying highly skilled jobs.

It's just one idea thinking beyond manufacturing or tourism but I can't think of any politicians in Mayo with this type of vision and thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

There's a train of thought doing the rounds that Sean Barrett may be persuaded to retire before the end of the current dail. One potential replacement as ceann comhairle could be ringer. This would mean that he would be automatically elected to the next dail and that Mayo would be a 3 seater.

His FG vote would automatically sweep Inda back in. Takes the pressure off Kenny straight away.

Stranger things have happened and given that this is doing the rounds, some of the comments on Inda's contribution (or lack of) to the issues facing Castlebar has some merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Very poor form if Enda expects Ring to get him elected again! You just wait and see,Enda's home town of Castlebar will be buzzing with employment opportunities next springtime when the election will be held...............after all have we not had various 'constructions' mooted several times already,from a Castlebar road by-pass to a hospital renovation/rebuild to various pitches and swimming facility around the GMIT and Lake.
    With the disappearance of young people in the town you can also expect a 'delegation' to go overseas and start hiring and enticing our emigrants home to work on the many projects and this coupled with the Trans-Atlantic cable and Microsoft in Killala and Apple in Athenry ...sure wont Enda be knighted and beatified before we know it.The West is truly on the up and will be the new Dublin in ten years! With a bigger population we can also expect to win the Sam very ,very soon also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ethical wrote: »
    Very poor form if Enda expects Ring to get him elected again! You just wait and see,Enda's home town of Castlebar will be buzzing with employment opportunities next springtime when the election will be held...............after all have we not had various 'constructions' mooted several times already,from a Castlebar road by-pass to a hospital renovation/rebuild to various pitches and swimming facility around the GMIT and Lake.
    With the disappearance of young people in the town you can also expect a 'delegation' to go overseas and start hiring and enticing our emigrants home to work on the many projects and this coupled with the Trans-Atlantic cable and Microsoft in Killala and Apple in Athenry ...sure wont Enda be knighted and beatified before we know it.The West is truly on the up and will be the new Dublin in ten years! With a bigger population we can also expect to win the Sam very ,very soon also.

I hope I detect sarcasm cause if I don't, can I have some of them drugs! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

finisklin wrote: »
    There's a train of thought doing the rounds that Sean Barrett may be persuaded to retire before the end of the current dail. One potential replacement as ceann comhairle could be ringer. This would mean that he would be automatically elected to the next dail and that Mayo would be a 3 seater.

His FG vote would automatically sweep Inda back in. Takes the pressure off Kenny straight away.

Stranger things have happened and given that this is doing the rounds, some of the comments on Inda's contribution (or lack of) to the issues facing Castlebar has some merit.

For how long would he need to be Ceann Comhairle for in the present Dail to enable him to retain his seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

signostic wrote: »
    For how long would he need to be Ceann Comhairle for in the present Dail to enable him to retain his seat?

Whoever's Ceann Comhairle on the dissolution of the Dáil is automatically returned to the next Dáil. AFAIK, there's no minimum period of service.

Ring will have no problem being re-elected,so make Enda Ceann Comhairle,he is the one that has the re-election problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Ring will have no problem being re-elected,so make Enda Ceann Comhairle,he is the one that has the re-election problem!

Do you really think Enda might not get re-elected?

Maybe im completely naive, but if FG won 4/5 seats last time out, wouldnt he be pulled over the line on transfers alone-Rings surplus and Mulherins transfers, (once shes eliminated) and transfers from a fourth East Mayo candidate....say a Eugen Lavin or someone like that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

whitey1 wrote: »
    Do you really think Enda might not get re-elected?

But would it be an embarrassment for the Taoiseach of the country not to top the poll...?

• Advertisement

I know that this sounds a bit like one of Enda's yarns but the other day while shopping in Castlebar I met a local man who was talking to another local and between them they could not name a local person that got a permanent job in the County town over the past few years,so yes I reckon there is a great possibility that Enda will not be returned.By the ways, Mulherin will not have any votes to transfer,she has shot herself in the foot too many times in the past few years. Four Fine Gael will read 1 Fine Gael after the next election,with somewhat of a rainbow returned in the new 4 seater constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I know that this sounds a bit like one of Enda's yarns but the other day while shopping in Castlebar I met a local man who was talking to another local and between them they could not name a local person that got a permanent job in the County town over the past few years,so yes I reckon there is a great possibility that Enda will not be returned.By the ways, Mulherin will not have any votes to transfer,she has shot herself in the foot too many times in the past few years. Four Fine Gael will read 1 Fine Gael after the next election,with somewhat of a rainbow returned in the new 4 seater constituency.

Ring will get Enda in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

finisklin wrote: »

Don't think that will fly because imho
    1. Ring would be bored stiff acting as Ceann Cóirle
    2. His vote is not all FG - much of it personal or local which may go to others if he was off the field.
    3 Enda as outgoing Taoiseach will be re-elected, as will Ring. Dog fight for the last two. Calleary likely to get one,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭am946745

6541 wrote: »
    FG has done nothing for Mayo,

Enda and Co.. have done or proclaimed to a done a lot of Mayo. There is actually a pick up in employment, whiskey distilleries, Bio mass plant in Kilala, The multinationals are expanding, like of holster in Ballina. Tourism without a doubt has picked up in the last 2 years. Lot of Cycle paths bring walkers to Mayo.

I don't think Mayo is worse off with the crowd we have. However I don't know if I would vote FG again or FF. Its a pity we don't have a new party to the right that would support jobs and investment. Don't know what renua will do.

100% NOT voting sinners or the Burton camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Dudda wrote: »
    The west of Ireland could allow itself to be used for developing new technologies. For example allow cash rich companies like Google, Apple and Amazon to test drones. Let them test delivery of pizza and other small items to rural locations. They could test them for search and rescue in our remote mountains and seas, develop mapping technologies, etc. Strict laws in the States and UK prevent them from even testing. This would require changes in legislation to allow controlled testing in rural and non built up areas but could potentially lead to well paying highly skilled jobs.

It's just one idea thinking beyond manufacturing or tourism but I can't think of any politicians in Mayo with this type of vision and thinking.

you could expand the area quite a lot and still come up with the same answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

But would it be an embarrassment for the Taoiseach of the country not to top the poll...?

why has he had to appoint a buddy to advertise him to the good people of mayo, at the countrys expense, could he have a sense of forboding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

He seems to be doing his piece for Westport at any rate, as regards the rest, take your pick

Would this be technically seen then as a 'ring piece'? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paddy James

am946745 wrote: »
    Enda and Co.. have done or proclaimed to a done a lot of Mayo. There is actually a pick up in employment, whiskey distilleries, Bio mass plant in Kilala, The multinationals are expanding, like of holster in Ballina. Tourism without a doubt has picked up in the last 2 years. Lot of Cycle paths bring walkers to Mayo.

I don't think Mayo is worse off with the crowd we have. However I don't know if I would vote FG again or FF. Its a pity we don't have a new party to the right that would support jobs and investment. Don't know what renua will do.

100% NOT voting sinners or the Burton camp.

Re Killala Biomass this idea has been there for years nothing to do with Ring or Kenny.

If they are trying to claim it let anyone on here tell me what they exactly did to provide 30 full time jobs when finished and let's be frank we need a few announcements that will provide 300 hundred full time jobs on completion rather than 350 temporary jobs followed by only 30 long term but I do acknowledge 30 better than none

Who's idea was the wild Atlantic way and The Greenway ?
    The only reason Westport has done well from tourism is because of a voluntary organisation called the tidy towns and all the awards these volunteers won and fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭am946745

Re Killala Biomass this idea has been there for years nothing to do with Ring or Kenny.

If they are trying to claim it let anyone on here tell me what they exactly did to provide 30 full time jobs when finished and let's be frank we need a few announcements that will provide 300 hundred full time jobs on completion rather than 350 temporary jobs followed by only 30 long term but I do acknowledge 30 better than none

The only reason Westport has done well from tourism is because of a voluntary organisation called the tidy towns and all the awards these volunteers won and fair play to them.

So who do you think would best represent Mayo as a party?

Re Greenway - there have been discussions for years about use of the Westport - Achill line. The Permissive Access idea had also been mentioned for some time. The PA idea enabled arrangements with land owners without having to pay for acquisition costs. Fáilte Éireann set up precedents for PA with Mayo Co Co c 2008. Meetings were held with land owners, community groups etc, and work then commenced. First sections of Greenway opened 2009/2010. It has been a successful project, thanks to the cooperation of practically all the landowners involved.

The Tidy Towns Committee work and successwins have been great for tourism in Westport, and shows great voluntary effort,

However tourism and voluntary effort there goes back rather further.

Pilgrims have been coming there for many centuries to climb the Reek, which has led to some growth in facilities for meals and accommodation.

The concept of a Sea-Angling Festival was developed there c 1954 by a part-time travel agent Tommie Brennan. He and a team of volunteers built up a good relationship with Bórd Fáilte. At BF's request they assisted other coastal communities in setting up similar festivals.

c 1960 Westport House opened for visitors, and over the years have developed an impressive range of facilities both indoor and outdoor. c 1964 WH then owner showed Tim O'Driscoll MD of BFE some land, which is now the site of Westport Golf Club.

The local authorities aided by EU and local investment developed a major swimming pool and leisure centre.The Seaside Resort Development Scheme and it's various tax reliefs were well used in Westport ( Thanks for the Enda ). Many extra apartments, and further leisure facilities in various hotels.

There is a strong tradition of cooperation between tourism operators, businesses generally, Westport Tourism Organisation and local authorities which each year helps to bring in and look after more visitors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Darpa

Bring back the Flynns they knew how to run ye

Re Greenway - there have been discussions for years about use of the Westport - Achill line. The Permissive Access idea had also been mentioned for some time. The PA idea enabled arrangements with land owners without having to pay for acquisition costs. Fáilte Éireann set up precedents for PA with Mayo Co Co c 2008. Meetings were held with land owners, community groups etc, and work then commenced. First sections of Greenway opened 2009/2010. It has been a successful project, thanks to the cooperation of practically all the landowners involved.

The Tidy Towns work and wins have been great for tourism in Westport, and shows great voluntary effort, However tourism and voluntary effort there goes back rather further.

Pilgrims have been coming there for many centuries to climb the Reek, which has led to some growth in facilities for meals and accommodation.

The concept of a Sea-Angling Festival was developed there c 1954 by a part-time travel agent Tommie Brennan. He and a team of volunteers built up a good relationship with Bórd Fáilte. At BF's request they assisted other coastal communities in setting up similar festivals.c 1960 Westport House opened for visitors, and over the years have developed an impressive range of facilities both indoor and outdoor.

c 1964 WH then owner showed Tim O'Driscoll MD of BFE some land, which is now the site of Westport Golf Club.

The local authorities aided by EU and local investment developed a major swimming pool and leisure centre.The Seaside Resort Development Scheme and it's various tax reliefs were well used in Westport ( Thanks for the Enda ).

Many extra apartments, and further leisure facilities in various hotels. There is a strong tradition of cooperation between tourism operators, businesses generally, Westport Tourism Organisation and local authorities which each year helps to bring in and look after more visitors

nuac wrote: »

The Tidy Towns work and wins have been great for tourism in Westport, and shows great voluntary effort, However tourism and voluntary effort there goes back rather further.

The concept of a Sea-Angling Festival was developed there c 1954 by a part-time travel agent Tommie Brennan. He and a team of volunteers built up a good relationship with Bórd Fáilte. At BF's request they assisted other coastal communities in setting up similar festivals.c 1960 Westport House opened for visitors, and over the years have developed an impressive range of facilities both indoor and outdoor.

c 1964 WH then owner showed Tim O'Driscoll MD of BFE some land, which is now the site of Westport Golf Club.

The local authorities aided by EU and local investment developed a major swimming pool and leisure centre.The Seaside Resort Development Scheme and it's various tax reliefs were well used in Westport ( Thanks for the Enda ).

Many extra apartments, and further leisure facilities in various hotels. There is a strong tradition of cooperation between tourism operators, businesses generally, Westport Tourism Organisation and local authorities which each year helps to bring in and look after more visitors

To be clear I was pointing out that it's volunteers that put Westport on the map that been tidy towns.

I was asking re Greenway to show this has been worked on for years

Re tax incentives I think if it's look at that maybe it wasn't a west of Ireland TD who brought this in

So none of the above can be pointed at by any sitting TD as something they did.

In fact I was involved in a high profile charity event in Westport last year and I asked a sitting TD in that area to help by just been there for the launch which was a stones throw from their office and was refused (have the email) as they stated they wouldn't get involved!!!! It was a fundraiser to help people in Mayo who needed respite. Was stunned as this is the same person that shows up at every funeral in Mayo and some of these same people would have passed away would have benefited from respite. Personally found it unbelievable been wasn't surprised.

So again what can we directly point out what each of the sitting TD's have done for Mayo ? As been frank I can't see one single thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Darpa

All that suck money enda pulls in for ye, and your still whining ?

am946745 wrote: »
    So who do you think would best represent Mayo as a party?

Fair straight down the line question

But let's be frank we have four TD's from the Government including the leader of the country and with such power nothing changes so that rules FG out. Labour well they are a non runner for me. SF I really can't see them ever getting into power. FF well in my opinion a lot of their decisions didn't help this country and contributed to the mess in this country. I personally think our best hope is for a strong independant to get elected and his or hers vote is needed to hold the balance of power and that as a result a deal can be struck to get as much for Mayo as possible. If that doesn't happen then we are relying on local business people to take risks and create jobs or for others to take the leap onto the self employed rollercoaster.

Darpa wrote: »

You obviously live on East coast?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Darpa wrote: »

*Mod Note* Keep it constructive or keep off the thread.

Heard Enda Kenny this morning announcing the Bio-mass project in Killala.

Glad that he paid tribute to the late Myles Staunton who put a lot of work and money into the Peatpower project there at great personal and financial cost to himself. Lost his house over it.

I wish this project all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Labour well they are a non runner for me.

Labour haven't had a TD elected in Mayo since 1927, so it's fair to say even Labour itself accepts it's a non-runner in this constituency.

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Labour haven't had a TD elected in Mayo since 1927, so it's fair to say even Labour itself accepts it's a non-runner in this constituency.

Gerry Cowley of Mulranny in GE 2007

Advertisement