Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which TD deserves a vote in Mayo

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

nuac wrote: »
    Gerry Cowley of Mulranny in GE 2007

If that's the doctor Jerry Cowley he was independent and I think it was 2002 not 2007 he was elected.

edit: I searched Google and he joined Labour is 2010 but that was a long time after he was elected. http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0416/129955-labour/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Gerry Cowley of Mulranny in GE 2007

Dr Cowley was elected in the 2002 General Election as an independent. He lost his seat in the 2007 election, still standing as an independent. In 2011, he ran on the Labour ticket and again failed to be elected.

The last Labour TD elected in Mayo was Thomas J O'Connell, the then leader of the party, standing in the 1927 general election .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Dr Cowley was elected in the 2002 General Election as an independent. He lost his seat in the 2007 election, still standing as an independent. In 2011, he ran on the Labour ticket and again failed to be elected.

The last Labour TD elected in Mayo was Thomas J O'Connell, the then leader of the party, standing in the 1927 general election .

OK My mistake

gizmo555 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

OK My mistake

Does that mean you are no longer the sage of westport or Mayo for that matter?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paddy James

Heard Enda Kenny this morning announcing the Bio-mass project in Killala.

Glad that he paid tribute to the late Myles Staunton who put a lot of work and money into the Peatpower project there at great personal and financial cost to himself. Lost his house over it.

I wish this project all the best

Yes Myles Staunton put his life into this and I first met him in 1998 and he told me the struggle he had with this project.

It's a long long time in the pipeline and in my opinion it's not something any sitting TD can take credit for.

finisklin wrote: »
    Does that mean you are no longer the sage of westport or Mayo for that matter?;)

Have never claimed any degree of sagacity geographically or otherwise.
    Perhaps a senior moment
    Know Dr Cowley, and met him on his various canvasses.
    As the Greeks used to say "Kai ho Homeros nuein" = Even Homer nods, or in Irish "bíonn locht ag gach saoi" Every craftsman has a fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

This article is very relevant to the the last few pages of this thread.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/lise-hand/enda-wants-to-reassure-mayo-that-potholed-roads-are-paved-with-gold-31287742.html

Will be interesting to see how much more he crams in between now and the election. I know Sacred Heart Hospital redevelopment in Castlebar should be starting soon. Anyone want to guess who will be turning the first sod?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dudda wrote: »
    This article is very relevant to the the last few pages of this thread.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/lise-hand/enda-wants-to-reassure-mayo-that-potholed-roads-are-paved-with-gold-31287742.html

Will be interesting to see how much more he crams in between now and the election. I know Sacred Heart Hospital redevelopment in Castlebar should be starting soon. Anyone want to guess who will be turning the first sod?

leo minister for health. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Have never claimed any degree of sagacity geographically or otherwise.
    Perhaps a senior moment
    Know Dr Cowley, and met him on his various canvasses.
    As the Greeks used to say "Kai ho Homeros nuein" = Even Homer nods, or in Irish "bíonn locht ag gach saoi" Every craftsman has a fault

Ad Multos Annos....

• Advertisement

finisklin wrote: »
    Ad Multos Annos....

Gratias

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am going to test out current TDS and email everyone about the jobs thread and see.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    i am going to test out current TDS and email everyone about the jobs thread and see.

Good idea. Sick of it at this stage.

Advertisement