Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do mink eat trout

Options
  • 17-05-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭

Srameen is trying to tell me that mink do not eat trout to any great degree.Your opinions please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OK. Yes, mink eat fish, including trout. Can they impact stock levels? Yes, in stocked lakes but not to any great degree on rivers containing wild brown trout.
    Do trout make up even a moderate percentage of a mink's diet. No. Frogs, birds, eggs, small mammals, eel are the primary targets.

Ask on the Nature forum if you don't believe me. I can only speak from the experience of over 40 years full time in the field on wildlife study, research and management and as an angler for over 60 years. Mink are a pest and must be eradicated but it is highly unlikely that they wiped out trout stocks in your river.

And with that I'm through, as you obviously just want to believe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I am not doubting your opinions or your experience.It is a hell of a lot more than I have.And full time.I am just putting the question out there to get other views and thinking.

I am of course trying to find out as well what I think is happening on the river I fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Srameen.What do you think the marks were on trout tail areas.About the size that you could place your small finger into or smaller.

He's right. Is your river wild or stocked trout? Any pike or large trout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Thread closed

Doubt that anything of a conclusive answer is going to come from this and it's all spiralling a bit. There's plenty of info elsewhere online for/against the topic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement