Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog whimpering in pain

• 17-05-2015 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have a bitch and nearly two weeks ago we noticed she wasn't herself and was urinating excessively. After a trip to the vet she was diagnosed with a womb infection and given some pain killers and a "two week antibiotic" injection.

She seemed fine a day or two later and we thought that was more or less the end of the issue.

However last night around 3am she started whimpering, at first I thought she wanted to be let out to go to the toilet or wanted some fresh water, however she just went back to bed.

Then this morning she started whimpering again and as the day has progressed she seems to have gotten worse.

It clearly hurts her now to jump up on the couch to sit down (more whimpering) and she was in a lot of pain going up the stairs - yelping going up each step.

Obviously we're bringing her straight back to the vets first thing in the morning, however I'm really worried about her.

Does this apparent pain (it definitely seems like she's in pain, she whimpers at physical activities such as going up the stairs, jumping up on furniture etc..) sound like it could be related to the womb infection?

She's been fine for the past 2 weeks or so since she last saw the vet, so we're at a loss how she's suddenly taken a turn for the worst.

Has anyone else here ever experienced similar with their pets?

I just hope it's nothing too serious, won't be able to see the vet until the morning however :(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Unfortunately OP, there's nothing anyone here can do or say to help your situation.
    I would be inclined to call your out-of-hours vet to ask them what they recommend you do. Pyometra can be very serious, but your dog might have something entirely unrelated wrong with her.
    Good luck with her, and by all means, update this thread when you know more, but I need to ask posters to make sure they do not give out medical advice.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Well, just to update, we brought her to the vets again first thing this morning.

The vet doesn't seem to think that the pain is connected to the pyometra and that it may be an injury. To be on the safe side, she is getting spayed tomorrow morning though.

She was given a "morphine-like" injection at the vets, however the poor thing is here in agony all day. Whimpering and yelping at the slightest movement, even whilst sitting still.

I hate seeing her in pain like this and now I'm really worried that if it is a bad case of pyometra that tomorrow morning may be too late for her to be operated on... :(

I've rang the vet again to ask if there's anything we can do or give her to make her more comfortable, we're still awaiting on a callback however.

Fingers crossed the sugery will go well tomorrow for her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Flippin hell Moyglish, I hope she'll be okay. Morphine can make them a bit whiney, so I hope that's all that was :(
    Did you hear back from the vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Hi DBB, we actually ended up bringing her back to the vets again yesterday after that as she was in so much pain. In the end yesterday she ended up taking the morphine-like injection, methadone, valium and something else I can't think of right now.

She was a bit drowsy looking after the first valium and was staggering around abit, a bit woozy, and well for wont of a better word "drunk".

Never saw her in so much pain before, so had no hesitation in bringing her back to the vets twice in one day to make sure she would be comfortable.

Dropped her off at the vets this morning for surgery, still haven't heard back anything though. Was told that the actual surgery would take about 30 minutes - or 90 minutes including all prep work beforehand, so was kinda hoping to have heard back from them around noon..

It's 2pm now, hoping all went OK with her. Trying to distract myself now as the urge to ring the vets and see how everything went is overwhelming, but I appreciate they're probably very busy and I don't want to hound them.

Here's hoping I hear word back shortly and that no news is good news :)

Advertisement