Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing a dog home from Australia

• 17-05-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

Hey just bumping this and not start a new thread,

Anyone brought a dog home from Australia? We're looking to get a dog out here and inevitably plan to return to Ireland in about 3 years time. We do not want to put a dog through 3 months of quarantine so if that is the case I doubt we'll get one, but has anyone got any useful information on this/experience of doing it themselves?

We had found this and it looks like if it's compliant it will be released on the day. Anyone able to confirm?

Cheers

Mod Note: Posts split away from a very old thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

irishmover wrote: »
    Hey just bumping this and not start a new thread,

Anyone brought a dog home from Australia? We're looking to get a dog out here and inevitably plan to return to Ireland in about 3 years time. We do not want to put a dog through 3 months of quarantine so if that is the case I doubt we'll get one, but has anyone got any useful information on this/experience of doing it themselves?

Cheers

I did but it was in 2001. At the time Ireland didn't have a pet passport scheme so we brought her in via London (used a friends UK address), collected her at Heathrow and drove her home on the ferry. Now, that last bit was out of choice as she could have been flown to Cork from Heathrow but Aer Lingus has been less than helpful when we were bringing her to Australia (kept bumping her off flights causing an very expensive knock on effect - in the end I rang them from Sydney and threatened them with going on Liveline crying about how Aer Lingus were stopping my son being reunited with his pet dog :P.. that worked. She was on the next flight to London. I have to say Qantas couldn't have been more understanding and helpful)

It was a straightforward enough process - if time consuming.
    All we did was follow the very clear rules as laid down by AQIS - anti-rabies shots on a certain date, blood test on a certain date, approved kennels prior to transportation, pet passport, microchip etc.
    You need to the the process started a few months before you plan to leave to hit the blood test targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lazymoo

I don't have any experience of doing it yet but I'm based in QLD and have a 6 month old pup.

We had the exact same reservations as you, didn't want her to have to go through quarantine etc if we do ever decide to go home. I did a lot of research first and found out that the information on link you provided is correct, they have scrapped the whole quarantine process as Australia is considered a low-risk country. They don't even require the blood tests 6 months prior to travelling or a pet passport. As far as I can see you just have to get the rabies injection with accompanying paperwork filled out by your vet.

I had also heard horror stories of the costs adding up to $10,000 just to get the dog over/back so I rang a couple of the well known pet moving companies and they gave me a loose quote of $2,500. This included dropping her off the day before the flight, getting her checked and signed off by a vet, all travel costs (usually on the same flight as you, if possible) and collecting her a couple of hours after you land. Prices vary depending on the size of the dog but that quote was for a Golden Retriever.

Advertisement