Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access hosting for .ie domain

Options
  • 18-05-2015 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Please move it to a better place if this question is more appropriate elsewhere.

GoDaddy notified they're not supporting MS Access from next month so I'm looking for cheap and reliable alternatives for my .ie domain. The domain is with LetsHost but they don't have MS Access.

Migrating to a more sophisticated DB technology isn't on the cards for now.

Any one can recommend any Windows hosting supporting nameserver redirections for Irish domains?

Yes, Classic ASP is also required but since that's still rather common (for Windows hosting plans) I'm not asking about its support explicitly.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

none wrote: »
    Hi,

Please move it to a better place if this question is more appropriate elsewhere.

GoDaddy notified they're not supporting MS Access from next month so I'm looking for cheap and reliable alternatives for my .ie domain. The domain is with LetsHost but they don't have MS Access.

Migrating to a more sophisticated DB technology isn't on the cards for now.

Any one can recommend any Windows hosting supporting nameserver redirections for Irish domains?

Yes, Classic ASP is also required but since that's still rather common (for Windows hosting plans) I'm not asking about its support explicitly.

Cheers

Sorry none, long-standing boards rule prevents the discussion of any hosting providers so you're not likely to get much help.

Any hosting provider that still supports classic ASP is likely to also support an Access database. Assuming you're using an ODBC connection, just check your chosen provider also supports this.

Off topic, but it's not that too big a job to switch to a 'proper' database backend, I've used MS SQL and MySQL for classic ASP projects in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Yes, I forgot about that taboo :(

For a small hobby site, nothing beats MS Access in my opinion. Especially, when you consider that you only need one file for DB backups, migrations, etc. I understand it's not very secure, robust or scalable but it's sooo convenient.

It's connecting using "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" connection string, not an ODBC/Access driver.

LetsHost actually support Classic ASP but not MS Access.

Thanks for the tips, Graham:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement