Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance when renovating

Options
  • 18-05-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know where we can get home and contents insurance during a renovation/extension project? No one wants to touch an unoccupied house, so we just bought a house ready to start work on it this week and its uninsured, starting to freak out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You may be able to get cover for the building itself but not contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I recently got unoccupied insurance from these

http://www.kiddinsurances.ie

As you have found out not many will even give a quote.

And you won't get contents from anyone. (If anyone does I'd love to know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The cover you require depends on 2 things.

If you are renovating using a building contractor to carry out all works, you only need to insure the existing structure and then make sure the builder has liability and contract works insurance for the added value he is putting in to the house

If you are renovating by engaging various tradesmen etc, you need Self Build Insurance that will include existing structures.

Let me know which one you are doing and I'll try and direct you the right way. I'm not aware of any insurer who will cover contents of an unoccupied house during renovation (unless of course, you mean building materials & equipment)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

The cover you require depends on 2 things.

If you are renovating using a building contractor to carry out all works, you only need to insure the existing structure and then make sure the builder has liability and contract works insurance for the added value he is putting in to the house

If you are renovating by engaging various tradesmen etc, you need Self Build Insurance that will include existing structures.

Let me know which one you are doing and I'll try and direct you the right way. I'm not aware of any insurer who will cover contents of an unoccupied house during renovation (unless of course, you mean building materials & equipment)

Hi its a self build, different trades men will be entering the property, the main builder does not currently have contractors all risk so thats a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Then you need a self build policy that includes EXISTING STRUCTURES. Most of the self build insurers only include Public Liability, Employers Liability, Plant & Equipment and NEW works added to the existing structure.

It is an expensive product, but very necessary if you don't have 1 contractor, with appropriate cover, controlling the entire project.

Main players are Frost Insurance, Hooper Dolan, Campion Insurance, Aviva, Arachas & FBD. Be very careful about the existing structures part

• Advertisement

thanks, will look them up tomorrow

Got sorted with Arachas, thanks a mill.

Advertisement