Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot and Belgard solicitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cossie2

I owe tesco mobile 1k. I have been getting calls and letters from cabot and belgard. I did not engage in any shape or form . I received a letter this morning stating they would take a reduced payment on the balance, to avoid further legal action. If i dont do anything, they will instruct their solicitors to obtain a judgement mortage against my property that can affect me if i wish to sell the property or remortage. Can they do this? They also said they will send a sheriff to claim goods to make up for the debt.
    Can all of this be done?? I lnow o have to pay the debt. But if all possible o wont engage with these debt collectors. All advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

cossie2 wrote: »
    I owe tesco mobile 1k. I have been getting calls and letters from cabot and belgard. I did not engage in any shape or form . I received a letter this morning stating they would take a reduced payment on the balance, to avoid further legal action. If i dont do anything, they will instruct their solicitors to obtain a judgement mortage against my property that can affect me if i wish to sell the property or remortage. Can they do this? They also said they will send a sheriff to claim goods to make up for the debt.
    Can all of this be done?? I lnow o have to pay the debt. But if all possible o wont engage with these debt collectors. All advice greatly appreciated

Do you really owe the €1k or are you disputing it?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Do you really owe the €1k or are you disputing it?

I owe it... its about 3 yrs old... was in the midst of an addiction... havw cleaned up my act now amd paying off debts.. but havent a hope of affording this. From reading other threads, it was advised not to engahe with this crowd as they are forceful and intimidating. I prob got more letters like this when i was gambling but i dont remember them as i just threw all letters away. I always knew i had to pay it. I just out it on the long finger.

I owe it... its about 3 yrs old... was in the midst of an addiction... havw cleaned up my act now amd paying off debts.. but havent a hope of affording this. From reading other threads, it was advised not to engahe with this crowd as they are forceful and intimidating. I prob got more letters like this when i was gambling but i dont remember them as i just threw all letters away. I always knew i had to pay it. I just out it on the long finger.

I've no experience of this crowd, however it would be a mistake to bury your head. How much you can realistically offer should be your main concern. I'm sure this crowd have purchased your debt at bargain basement prices and so anything offered should be quids in for them.

From attending court regularly, I know that if you did appear and laid out your circumatances the judge quite possibly would be sympathetic and give you a fair bit of time to pay off the full debt.

If on the other hand you have a few hundred put away it could be wise to offer this.

Don't ignore it would be my advice regardless. I'm not a solicitor by the way, just someone who attends court regularly as part of my job.

I've no experience of this crowd, however it would be a mistake to bury your head. How much you can realistically offer should be your main concern. I'm sure this crowd have purchased your debt at bargain basement prices and so anything offered should be quids in for them.

From attending court regularly, I know that if you did appear and laid out your circumatances the judge quite possibly would be sympathetic and give you a fair bit of time to pay off the full debt.

If on the other hand you have a few hundred put away it could be wise to offer this.

Don't ignore it would be my advice regardless. I'm not a solicitor by the way, just someone who attends court regularly as part of my job.

I will go back to tesco first and try talk to them. How long does it take for court proceedings? Can they really put a mortage judgement against me? Sounds a bit harsh for 1,000 euro?? I understand they buy the loan for cheap amd then try scare people into paying. Obviously i dont want to end up in court. Especially for 1,000. Thats surely small money to them

• Advertisement

Don't ignore it would be my advice regardless. I'm not a solicitor by the way, just someone who attends court regularly as part of my job.[/quote

I will go back to tesco first and try talk to them. How long does it take for court proceedings? Can they really put a mortage judgement against me? Sounds a bit harsh for 1,000 euro?? I understand they buy the loan for cheap amd then try scare people into paying. Obviously i dont want to end up in court. Especially for 1,000. Thats surely small money to them

I've seen supplers chase customers for approx €1500 through the district court. From just googling them they appear to be a debt collection and legal crowd operating from same location. I'm not sure about judgement mortgage but the sheriff could be an option for them. There appears to be quite a good thread on them here on boards already.
    Check out that for further information.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You need to interact with Tesco without delay. Is this the same debt you posted about 6 weeks or so back?

You need to interact with Tesco without delay. Is this the same debt you posted about 6 weeks or so back?

Yes it is. You have a good memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes it is. You have a good memory

Then you need to act promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

To make a payment you need tescos bank details and your phone and or account details.

If you owe it and want to pay it I would suggest the following don't try to pay it all at once unless you can afford to do so, just pay what you can as soon as you can.

Only communicate about payments in writing, If someone calls you up about a payment, interrupt, asks them to verify they're details before you can talk to them, insist, when they get flustered suggest they write to you.

See if you still have a statement with your account number.
    If not log on or phone tescos and ask them to send you a statement don't discuss the debt just ask for them to send you a statement.
    if they object send in a data access request.

If you are being charged any extra late payment fees you may need to consider if it's cheaper if possible to borrow the money and repay the borrowings.

If you had a direct debit arrangement locate the bank account number and sort code and IBAN no. you made the payments to, then
    A) call in to your bank with the details of the date of when it hit your bank account, Ask the cashier what you need to do to cancell the instruction in writing and write a instruction to cancel.
    If you have Internet banking and it's listed follow the instructions to cancell it.

Set up a variable instruction on Internet banking so that your mobile phone no and account number are listing on the Tesco bank account to which you are making payments or
    Call into your bank and get them do a transfer from your account to Tescos, and fill in the text box that the cashier can type into the instruction (mobile phone no and account number)
    Don't lodge cash directly as you want to be able to trace the money from your account to tescos.

• Advertisement

Then you need to act promptly.

Thats fine. I know where i stand now. I will make contact with tesco first. Reading through other threads on issues like this. I thought they might be bluffing. Im not ending up im court. Worked too hard on myself to do this. Ill deal with it tuesday after ling weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into the existing thread

dudara

To make a payment you need tescos bank details and your phone and or account details.

If you owe it and want to pay it I would suggest the following don't try to pay it all at once unless you can afford to do so, just pay what you can as soon as you can.

Only communicate about payments in writing, If someone calls you up about a payment, interrupt, asks them to verify they're details before you can talk to them, insist, when they get flustered suggest they write to you.

See if you still have a statement with your account number.
    If not log on or phone tescos and ask them to send you a statement don't discuss the debt just ask for them to send you a statement.
    if they object send in a data access request.

If you are being charged any extra late payment fees you may need to consider if it's cheaper if possible to borrow the money and repay the borrowings.

If you had a direct debit arrangement locate the bank account number and sort code and IBAN no. you made the payments to, then
    A) call in to your bank with the details of the date of when it hit your bank account, Ask the cashier what you need to do to cancell the instruction in writing and write a instruction to cancel.
    If you have Internet banking and it's listed follow the instructions to cancell it.

Set up a variable instruction on Internet banking so that your mobile phone no and account number are listing on the Tesco bank account to which you are making payments or
    Call into your bank and get them do a transfer from your account to Tescos, and fill in the text box that the cashier can type into the instruction (mobile phone no and account number)
    Don't lodge cash directly as you want to be able to trace the money from your account to tescos.

I still have account information.
    Not a hope i can afford it all at once.
    I will email them on tuesday after the long weekend.
    I have internet banking so ill be able to transfer payments when im paying them.
    Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SteKing123

I recieved a letter from Cabot Financial yesterday stating that they've bought my debt from Eir. I fell behind on my bill and the amount they say I owe is 670 euro. I assume that eir cancelled my contract. The most recent email I recieved from Eir was on 3rd May informing me of the bill. I'm asking for advice on how to respond to Cabot. Phone/E-mail/Letter? How do I respond and does anyone have any idea on what sort of payment plan they'd accept bearing in mind that I'm unemployed. Any info would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

SteKing123 wrote: »
    I recieved a letter from Cabot Financial yesterday stating that they've bought my debt from Eir. I fell behind on my bill and the amount they say I owe is 670 euro. I assume that eir cancelled my contract. The most recent email I recieved from Eir was on 3rd May informing me of the bill. I'm asking for advice on how to respond to Cabot. Phone/E-mail/Letter? How do I respond and does anyone have any idea on what sort of payment plan they'd accept bearing in mind that I'm unemployed. Any info would be appreciated.

I’ve reported your thread to the mods to get it moved to the correct forum.

Make sure you’re not charged VAT. VAT can not be charged on cancellation

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

SteKing123, welcome to Boards!
    I've moved your post to Consumer Issues where you should get some more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

SteKing123 wrote: »

Contact them by letter only and make sure they know that is the only form of communication you want with them.

Dont give them a phone number or email or they will hound you.

Repay what you can afford. If that is €10 a week then tell them that. They will always look for more but stick to a figure and dont let them pressure you into paying more than you can afford with threats of court etc.

There are plenty of threads here about this company and its tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Contact them by letter only and make sure they know that is the only form of communication you want with them.

Dont give them a phone number or email or they will hound you.

Repay what you can afford. If that is €10 a week then tell them that. They will always look for more but stick to a figure and dont let them pressure you into paying more than you can afford with threats of court etc.

There are plenty of threads here about this company and its tactics.

I'd suggest contact EIR first. try sort out with them

do not engage with Cabot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Latest thread merged into the megathread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect you'll hear no more from them.

I’m back, 2 years later. They sent a letter to say my debt has been sold from Cabot Asset Purchases to Cabot Financial. This is the first communication from them since my datat access request years ago in which they had no information on me. Just ignore again I assume? Relentless f*****s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 al30

CD2017 wrote: »
    I’m back, 2 years later. They sent a letter to say my debt has been sold from Cabot Asset Purchases to Cabot Financial. This is the first communication from them since my datat access request years ago in which they had no information on me. Just ignore again I assume? Relentless f*****s

Husband got the same letter and we are ignoring it

al30 wrote: »
    Husband got the same letter and we are ignoring it

Did the same, and nothing since! Chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Are you saying you don't have a debt and they are sending you letters anyway?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Cabot are reporting to the Central Credit Register so it would be prudent to check if they've a debt registered against you there. Would snooker any attempt at borrowing from someone else you might have in mind.

Quackster wrote: »
    Cabot are reporting to the Central Credit Register so it would be prudent to check if they've a debt registered against you there. Would snooker any attempt at borrowing from someone else you might have in mind.

The debt showed on my ICB report as assigned years ago with a removal date of Nov this year. I’ve regularly checked the reports and nothing else has ever shown up. They have no documentation to support their claim that I owe money, I’ve already requested it and they couldn’t provide it.

Are you saying you don't have a debt and they are sending you letters anyway?

I had debt owed to someone else.. was dealing directly and all of a sudden Cabot were involved. They have no paperwork to back up their claims that I owe them money and I won’t deal with them. I’ve ignored them for years now and they’ve never gone any further than sending the odd threatening letter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

The debt showed on my ICB report as assigned years ago with a removal date of Nov this year. I’ve regularly checked the reports and nothing else has ever shown up. They have no documentation to support their claim that I owe money, I’ve already requested it and they couldn’t provide it.

Have you checked the CCR as well as ICB?

Squiggle wrote: »
    Have you checked the CCR as well as ICB?

I haven’t. I have no intention of borrowing anything ever if that’s at all possible and I’ve managed for the last 10 years or so. Might check it out just to see if it’s there though. I’ll report back ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The introduction of the CCR makes rather a lot of the old commentary on firms like Cabot irrelevant - it was very easy to say that there were minimal impacts from ignoring them a few years back when this thread started but now the CCR may hold data for quite some time.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    The introduction of the CCR makes rather a lot of the old commentary on firms like Cabot irrelevant - it was very easy to say that there were minimal impacts from ignoring them a few years back when this thread started but now the CCR may hold data for quite some time.

My debt is passed the time where they can pursue it so I assume it being recorded on the CCR is only relevant to me if I wish to borrow?

Good to point out that info re the older posts though, I wouldn’t have even thought of the CCR and my situation could have been very different so thanks!

Advertisement