Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot and Belgard solicitors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

It would seem pointless though, and costly from the Debt Collection Agency's point of view when the case would be certain to be thrown out of court due to the expiry of the six years, unless of course the debtor didn't file a defence or indeed if they weren't aware of the statute of limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

al30 wrote: »
    Very glad to see this thread as husband received letter from them today for a tesco credit card debt which they say is 490. We dont know how much the debt is as it was six years ago. Husband rang them and said we have heard nothing from tesco for nearly six years. They said they would look into it and get back to us. Enclosed in the letter was a letter from tesco telling him they were moving the debt to cabot

Ignore them! Unless your husband agreed over the phone that the debt was his??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

In this case it wouldn't be a bank. The debt was sold to a debt collection firm years ago, as mentioned by the OP.

If the OP borrowed 5k, the debt agency pays +/- 500 for the stressed asset from a bank who were willing to cut their losses.

The agency is speculating that they can recover more than the bank, and will use various forms of quasi-threatening language to attempt to get the OP to pay them the debt they were never originally owed and bought as a cheap attempt to make near 1000% profit (5k+ interest).

The agency has a right to ask for the debt, but they have no right to be given it if the OP hasn't acknowledged it in over 6 years.

OP, ask that they are calling you about, ask them to send you any documentation they have that shows the alleged debt as well as a headed letter from their offices explaining why they are contacting you and that their claim is.

Take all this and go to either a MABS service or similar and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cossie2

Ive had my problems the past few years..getting through things bit by bit... i owe 1k to a company who passed it on to a debt collector. A solicitor on behalf of the debt collector has sent me a letter stating they will initiate legal action against me if i dont pay up. Can they do that?? It was belgard solicitors on behalf of cabot financial. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Wasnt sure what area to post in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You can play them out a bit longer if you wish, worst case they drag you to court but they usually send a good few scary letters first

Do you imagine you can find a legit reason to not pay the 1k?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You can play them out a bit longer if you wish, worst case they drag you to court but they usually send a good few scary letters first

OP says s/he owes it.

Avoiding one's responsibilities is not the way to go..

EDIT: OP - you could contact solicitors and state you want to come to settlement/payment plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

cossie2 wrote:
    Ive had my problems the past few years..getting through things bit by bit... i owe 1k to a company who passed it on to a debt collector. A solicitor on behalf of the debt collector has sent me a letter stating they will initiate legal action against me if i dont pay up. Can they do that?? It was belgard solicitors on behalf of cabot financial. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Wasnt sure what area to post in.

Scare tactics is this company's modus operandi. Ring them and let them know the max your are able to pay each month. Be realistic. When was the last payment you made on the debt? If it is greater than 5 years the debt is statue barred and I would ignore the letters.

Btw Cabot and Belgard is the same company just different headed paper.

• Advertisement

Cant afford the whole lot in one go... but can do small installments. I will contact the original creditor first. Its just that i didnt think the debt collection agency had the power to bring me to court. The letter stated i had 7 days to comply or face court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How old is the debt? Just asking in case it is more the 6 years old?

To be honest ive had quite a few of these ovwr the past 10 years. But i ignored em all and nothing came of them. I was in the midst of a gambling addiction. Im 3 years free now. But as im thinking differently , this has scared me a bit. Before i wouldnt have cared. But i dont want it to affect my future. Ill contact the original creditor and try arrange something. If i start dealing with cabot i will be harassed by them. I didnt think they had the power to bring me to court thats all.
    Always knew i had to pay it. I was just hoping it would be another year. Im juat keeping my head above water as it is

quote="Hitman3000;106543418"]Scare tactics is this company's modus operandi. Ring them and let them know the max your are able to pay each month. Be realistic. When was the last payment you made on the debt? If it is greater than 5 years the debt is statue barred and I would ignore the letters.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

OP says s/he owes it.

Avoiding one's responsibilities is not the way to go..

EDIT: OP - you could contact solicitors and state you want to come to settlement/payment plan

There is no reason to leave a stone unturned or to put one's hand out for a slap when it's not required. Especially in todays world where honour is meaningless and everyone is overplaying their hand.

If you do get onto some installment plan don't let this debt collector crowd add on any fees. Try to bypass them altogether if you can and deal with the company you actually owe the money to

???

my3cents wrote: »
    How old is the debt? Just asking in case it is more the 6 years old?

Its about 3 and a half years old

There is no reason to leave a stone unturned or to put one's hand out for a slap when it's not required. Especially in todays world where honour is meaningless and everyone is overplaying their hand.

If you do get onto some installment plan don't let this debt collector crowd add on any fees. Try to bypass them altogether if you can and deal with the company you actually owe the money to

Thanks... i will contact the original creditor. This would have been paid in the long run.. i just had prioritised other things first. I will make them an offer of what i can afford and take things from there

cossie2 wrote:
    quote="Hitman3000;106543418"]Scare tactics is this company's modus operandi. Ring them and let them know the max your are able to pay each month. Be realistic. When was the last payment you made on the debt? If it is greater than 5 years the debt is statue barred and I would ignore the letters.
    [/quote]

Apologies 6 years not 5. Btw there is no point contacting the original creditor as Cabot is now the holder of the debt. They would have bought it at a greatly reduced sum. So if you have the means ring and make a settlement offer.

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Apologies 6 years not 5. Btw there is no point contacting the original creditor as Cabot is now the holder of the debt. They would have bought it at a greatly reduced sum. So if you have the means ring and make a settlement offer.[/quote]

I contacted the original creditor for a previous debt...and was able to bypass the the debt collector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Do a search on this forum for Cabot & Belgard. There's a monster thread on experiences with them

Cabot typically do not buy debts, they act as agents on behalf of the original creditor.

I was going to pay the debt in the long run... i didnt make this a priority...plus i refused to deal with them... can they really take me to court?? Im going back to the original creditor to see what can be worked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

cossie2 wrote: »
    I was going to pay the debt in the long run... i didnt make this a priority...plus i refused to deal with them... can they really take me to court?? Im going back to the original creditor to see what can be worked out

They can but its highly unlikely. The amount owed is too small for the costs involved. There's plenty here that will say a judge would award costs against you but thats not 100% guaranteed and if you can't afford to pay they won't get their costs anyway. There's just too much risk for the rewards involved for this to go to court.

This looks like the normal escalated bullying that Cabot & Belgard do to try and get money from you for no more than the price of a few stamps. I honestly don't think it will go further than that.

my3cents wrote: »
    They can but its highly unlikely. The amount owed is too small for the costs involved. There's plenty here that will say a judge would award costs against you but thats not 100% guaranteed and if you can't afford to pay they won't get their costs anyway. There's just too much risk for the rewards involved for this to go to court.

This looks like the normal escalated bullying that Cabot & Belgard do to try and get money from you for no more than the price of a few stamps. I honestly don't think it will go further than that.

So do u think i could sit tight for now? I will have other bills cleared in the next 8 months.. i could deal with that then. Its the threat of court and a judgement against me plus payin their costs that frighten me

In debt cases, the creditor can only claim "scaled costs", these are no where close to the real cost of hiring solicitors and drafting claims.

That is why small debts are typically not litigated in court.

Is 1k regarded as a small debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into existing megathread

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Merged into existing megathread

dudara

????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cossie2 wrote: »
    Is 1k regarded as a small debt?

Borderline.

The merge message is because we have a running thread on Cabot/Belgard already

Advertisement