Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

greendom wrote: »
    Liverpool splashing out on plenty of promising to good players again much like last season and Spurs did the season before. Anyone expecting anything but the same result?

Jones out - Bodgan in (will anyone notice or care!?)
    Johnson out - Clyne in - £12.5m definite upgrade for less wages
    Gerrard out - Milner in zero net spend on wages (plus signing fee) better player in 2015/16
    Sterling out (we presume) £50m (£40 net) - Firmino in £21m (rising to £29m) again net wage neutral as Sterling would have got 100k if he stayed
    Borini out (surely) - Ings in likely upgrade at zero net cost.
    Coates out - Gomez in small net loss (2m v 3.5m) zero wages as Gomez will be loaned out. One of the most highly rated young CBs around.

Obviously it's hard to be sure of players yet signed so I won't speculate but Clyne, Milner, Firmino will clearly be starters in the first 11 most weeks.

Swansea City - Éder signs from Sporting Braga http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/01/eder-swansea-braga-portugal-striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I think Liverpool have bought fantastically so far, fair play to them. Ofc it could all go tits up but I don't think so. Quality signings. Could do with a top class winger now. Beat Stoke to Shaqiri perhaps? Why is Stoke even an option for such a top player?

United fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

CSF wrote: »
    I think Clyne and Firmino will do well there

Milner will probably do well as well. At least you know what you're getting with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cabaye is talks with Palace for 10 million pounds supposedly too, which isn't all that surprising since Pardew's worked with him before.

Cabaye is a level above Palace with the greatest respect to them.
    Johner wrote: »
    Shaqiri to Stoke? What a signing that would be.

That, if it happens, is a massive indicator as to where the mental money is in Europe at present. EPL is awash with cash.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Shaqiri crosses it to Bojan and it's a goal for.... Stoke! really Stoke are you sure it's not Juve or Dortmund or someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Talk of Leroy Fer going to Sevilla.

Guess there isnt an EPL club brave enough to pick him up after relegating with Norwich and QPR :D
    Time for him to stay injury free for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Shaqiri was awful at Inter. He wasn't even getting off the bench at the end of the season. Not surprised they have taken the first offer to get their money back

inforfun wrote: »
    Talk of Leroy Fer going to Sevilla.

Guess there isnt an EPL club brave enough to pick him up after relegating with Norwich and QPR :D
    Time for him to stay injury free for a while now.

Signing Stephane Mbia from relegated QPR didn't do Sevilla any harm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Godot. wrote: »
    Shaqiri was awful at Inter. He wasn't even getting off the bench at the end of the season. Not surprised they have taken the first offer to get their money back

This is the luxury of playing abroad in a league not many people watch. You can play terribly and people still love you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Can everyone stop with the Pogba talk now.

Marotta: "Barca offered us 80 million for Pogba but we don't want to sell him."

Edit:

At least until next summer....
    http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/agreement-place-for-barcelona-sign-paul-pogba-for-the-2016-17-season-4320625

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Miranda off to inter, good signing for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

This is the luxury of playing abroad in a league not many people watch. You can play terribly and people still love you

He was pretty average for Inter. Had a few glimpses of potential but really he looked off the pace and looked like he wasn't bothered.

Joins the list of "should have been good" young players at stoke with Arnautović, Bojan, N'Zonzi and Joselu.

Godot. wrote: »
    Signing Stephane Mbia from relegated QPR didn't do Sevilla any harm!

Would like to see Fer end up there as well.
    Much better for him and the Dutch national side than ending up at another mediocre PL team

He was pretty average for Inter. Had a few glimpses of potential but really he looked off the pace and looked like he wasn't bothered.

Joins the list of "should have been good" young players at stoke with Arnautović, Bojan, N'Zonzi and Joselu.
    He is probably still young enough to turn it around. It's a long way back up from Stoke though. Certainly not a coup or anything though. Premier Leaguewise I reckon Southampton or Everton is as good as he could have done.

Clubs like Liverpool and Spurs will be looking for young lads on the way up, not the way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

greendom wrote: »
    Liverpool splashing out on plenty of promising to good players again much like last season and Spurs did the season before. Anyone expecting anything but the same result?

Clyne is an upgrade on their fullbacks and should do well, though Johnson was probably their best fullback last season so that paints you a picture and Clyne won't be cutting in on his bad foot and popping a shot off from 30 yards all game.

Milner will probably be used as a workhorse unlike the semi creative role he had at city, Liverpool need a workhorse, he won't get any blame either if things go wrong so he'll be considered another success.

Firmino - This guy has flop written all over him, not talent wise but a big money foreign player for pool the papers will won't him to flop and already have their headlines written. New league, won't look good unless pool get a striker and he's competing with lallana, markovic and Ibe for a position. Probably won't live up to the money paid this season.

Ing - Not really good enough

Keeper is poor but not nearly as shocking as Brad Jones so an upgrade by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cabaye is talks with Palace for 10 million pounds supposedly too, which isn't all that surprising since Pardew's worked with him before.

That they'd have £10 million and pay him the big wages is really surprising. Nevermind the fact that you'd imagine he'd have better offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

JPA wrote: »
    That they'd have £10 million and pay him the big wages is really surprising. Nevermind the fact that you'd imagine he'd have better offers.

Tells you all you need to know how big the PL TV money is and is going to be.

He is probably still young enough to turn it around. It's a long way back up from Stoke though. Certainly not a coup or anything though. Premier Leaguewise I reckon Southampton or Everton is as good as he could have done.

Clubs like Liverpool and Spurs will be looking for young lads on the way up, not the way down.

Ah yeah if he puts in a good season there's no reason in the world why a CL team wouldn't pick him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

klose wrote: »
    Miranda off to inter, good signing for them.

Miranda from Atletico? Good signing. It's been said a lot but them and Milan along with other serie a clubs have been very active so far and are making interesting signings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

You can look forward to seeing Pogba join Barcelona next summer I think it's safe enough to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You can look forward to seeing Pogba join Barcelona next summer I think it's safe enough to say.

are you leafing through your Thesaurus in readiness ? :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah it is a coup in fairness, I think if someone like Spurs or Liverpool signed him, a lot would say it was a good signing for them. I don't know why Mancini signed him because his style and the way he positions players didnt suit him at all, he of course probably did have a poor season but it's certainly a coup for someone like Stoke to sign him, if they complete it.

Corholio wrote: »
    Ah it is a coup in fairness, I think if someone like Spurs or Liverpool signed him, a lot would say it was a good signing for them. I don't know why Mancini signed him because his style and the way he positions players didnt suit him at all, he of course probably did have a poor season but it's certainly a coup for someone like Stoke to sign him, if they complete it.

People would be saying it, but largely because the last few years of nothingness that has been his club career has gone unnoticed.

The amount of minutes he has played in the 3 years since Basel has undoubtedly stunted his potential. Went to Bayern, couldn't get in the team, should have left earlier. Went to Inter, couldn't get in the team. If Liverpool or Tottenham wanted him, they'd get him ahead of Stoke, unquestionably.

If he goes to Stoke, it's because Champions League clubs or ones with genuine aspirations to be that aren't interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That's what makes it even more surprising! :pac:

In all seriousness, that would be a sensational signing. Pound for pound, arguably the best I can recall off the top of my head this summer and it'd be hard to top IMO. The bloke runs/controls the midfield. Newcastle's record with him versus without him says it all.

Palace have the London factor too which is a big draw. If you have teams of a similar footing in for a player (e.g. Sunderland, Villa, Newcastle etc) offering similar money, London is going to win out almost every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Why is no one really looking at Wijnaldum? He was the captain of the same side that Depay played in. He was voted player of the year in the Eredivisie ahead of Depay. He had 18 goals and 5 assists. He is supposedly on the market for around £12m. I just read an article with him begging with his quotes for PSG to renew their interest from last year. I can't understand the lack of interest around him for that kind of money.

İlkay Gündoğan signs new deal at BVB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Coates to Sunderland, good luck to him.

All transfer restrictions lifted on PSG! A chained beast that is now going to wreck havoc!

https://twitter.com/Jon_LeGossip/status/616285519010492416

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Coates to Sunderland, good luck to him.

Undisclosed officially but £2m is the reported fee from journalists on Twitter.

Happy with that if it's the Coates of the last 5 games of the season. I'm just going to wait and see if he can consistently play to that level because I was burned by a couple of players after our escape in 2013/2014 and won't be making that mistake again.

Why is no one really looking at Wijnaldum? He was the captain of the same side that Depay played in. He was voted player of the year in the Eredivisie ahead of Depay. He had 18 goals and 5 assists. He is supposedly on the market for around £12m. I just read an article with him begging with his quotes for PSG to renew their interest from last year. I can't understand the lack of interest around him for that kind of money.

Wijnaldum is one of those players that can play in so many different positions, that no one knows what his best position actually is.
    He played holding midfielder in the Dutch team that finished 3rd last year, but there are better holding midfielders available.
    At PSV he played attacking midfielder, scored loads but there is better players on that position.

And to be honest, experience aside, i don't think he is that much better than when he made his debut at Feyenoord age 16.
    The way he played back then, i an awful Feyenoord team first as a right winger and later as a attacking midfielder was really impressive for a guy his age.
    Together with Castaignos and Fer he had to be sold by Feyenoord to clear a lot of debt.

Castaignos is now again sold (by Twente to get him of the pay roll, was going to earn 1,2 million this year and clear debt) to Eintracht Frankfurt for 3 million. Thought Swansea might have picked him up for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Platini's son works at PSG now doesn't he? All their sanctions seem to be lifting of late

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Montoya has left Barcelona for Inter & Iago Falque left Genoa for Roma.
    Looking like Giovanni Dos Santos might go to LA Galaxy too.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Platini's son works at PSG now doesn't he? All their sanctions seem to be lifting of late

One of the biggest myths in football tbf

He works for a Qatar sports kit company, as opposed to the football club that is PSG

Arda Turan to Barcelona according to
    Samuel Marsden
    @samuelmarsden

Word is Barça will sign Arda Turan from Atleti for €35m & that the player's happy not playing until January: http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/barcelona-will-play-million-for-arda-turan-who-cant-play-until-january-4321366

Arda Turan to Barcelona according to

Nice break until January!

That ban was so harsh on Barca..

More than a ban.

How are Utd only getting 3m for Nani? He has over 3 years left on his contract and hit double figures last season.

What amateur oversaw that transfer?

An English player with those stats would be 15m easy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How are Utd only getting 3m for Nani? He has over 3 years left on his contract and hit double figures last season.

What amateur oversaw that transfer?

An English player with those stats would be 15m easy

His wage demands are high, nobody will high pay a transfer fee AND pay his wages. This is probably the only way to get him off their books and free up wages.

His wage demands are high, nobody will high pay a transfer fee AND pay his wages. This is probably the only way to get him off their books and free up wages.

You'd wonder why he was given a 5 year deal on big wages less than 2 years ago.

Money wasted but that's modern football, most clubs do it.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You'd wonder why he was given a 5 year deal on big wages less than 2 years ago.

Money wasted but that's modern football, most clubs do it.

Ah, the season he got the renewal he Had a good season, they probably thought he'd kick on for there but instead he regressed. Sure it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Nani is a good player. Gets way too much slack and he's worth a lot more than £3M. Pity he had a string of managers who p1ssed him about. By far Sporting's best player this year.

Terrible business by United.

Rami to Seville for €3.5million is a done deal according to Sevilla's official website.

Seems to be a very small transfer fee but Milan got him on a free so it's not like they lose out on that front.

Has to be tied in with the Bacca deal I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

glued wrote: »
    Nani is a good player. Gets way too much slack and he's worth a lot more than £3M. Pity he had a string of managers who p1ssed him about. By far Sporting's best player this year.

While £3m sounds quite low, it certainly wasn't all the managers fault that he used to be in and out of the team. I'm not a United fan, but I watched far too many games he played that he underperformed and they passed him by.

glued wrote: »

I was actually more impressed by Joao Mario abd Carlos Mane when I saw Sporting last year, but maybe that's because they were more unknown quantities than Nani.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nani had a great season three seasons gaol he then was poor in Fergie's last year, but somehow got a bumper contract from Moyes who seemed desperate to hold down everyone he could. He did very little during that year too.

So you have a player who the club wants rid of, who has crazy wage demands and who, by all accounts, is not really in demand, with only relatively smaller teams after him.

I would imagine 3m was the best we could get in a deal where we also don't have to contribute towards his wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Nani had a great season three seasons gaol he then was poor in Fergie's last year
    Well, that's not true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well, that's not true.

Weirdly, his wiki page seems to be missing anything about the 2012/2013 season, but then, he only managed 15 starts and six sub appearances, and three goals and six assists. Disregarding my memories of the season, stats wise, it looks like he missed more of the season than he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Weirdly, his wiki page seems to be missing anything about the 2012/2013 season, but then, he only managed 15 starts and six sub appearances, and three goals and six assists. Disregarding my memories of the season, stats wise, it looks like he missed more of the season than he played.
    Nine goals contributed out of twenty one appearances isn't my definition of poor. SAF messed him around major time in his last season, then bizarrely threw him in for some big games where he played well. His injuries didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Milan announced signing for Carlos Bacca.

AC Milan ‏@acmilan 2m2 minutes ago View translation
    Accordo raggiunto con il @SevillaFC per il trasferimento di @carlos7bacca, condizionato al superamento delle visite mediche.
    #weareacmilan

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Milan announced signing for Carlos Bacca.

AC Milan ‏@acmilan 2m2 minutes ago View translation

Jose Mauri's agent has announced that he will join Milan this week as well. And they have bids in for a few young centre backs, Milan throwing the money around this summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement