Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Delph has said he's staying at Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Delph has said he's staying at Villa.

Seems a weird one. Wonder did he have second thoughts about how much playing time he'd get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

JPA wrote: »
    Schneidelin will be a more important player for United with 10% of the excitement.

Take a dip into the Utd super thread and I don't think you will find many underestimating the importance of signing Schneiderlin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Seems a weird one. Wonder did he have second thoughts about how much playing time he'd get?

That, and thinking about how it could negatively impact on his England career maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

JPA wrote: »
    A big name signing, 21 letters.

Nightmare for the staff in the club shop doing the jersey printing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

As in, he's not French?

:pac:

Just meant that he is young, and if he is a success they should profit from him even though the fee is the 3rd highest fee they have ever paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As a captain at Villa he'd obviously be very aware of the double demotion - no captaincy and a bit part player. He is probably doing the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just meant that he is young, and if he is a success they should profit from him even though the fee is the 3rd highest fee they have ever paid.
    I agree with you, just slagging the Toon.

Surprising a more, um, upmarket club wasn't in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

If Schweiny can stay injury free then even 15m is a bargain for a guy like him considering his ability and presence in midfield. Exactly the type of dominant CM United need. I can't see him staying injury free though, especially in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Who needs Schweinsteiger when you can have Delph

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

"I'm not leaving. I'm staying at the football club and I can't wait for the start of the season and captaining this great football club."
    0,,10265~13835950,00.jpg

That a boy Delph!

now imagine if Benteke followed his captains example and turned down pool when they activate his release clause every Villa fan would be doing the yes chant then (I know he's not but to this PW mod Villa fan thats what it looks like).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nice to see a player put playing time ahead of a big pay cheque for a change

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Behrami officially off to watford, they are sure making a play to stay in the premier league with their signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

klose wrote: »
    Behrami officially off to watford, they are sure making a play to stay in the premier league with their signings.

Beats the last two times we came up and got spanked and went straight back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Delph probably failed a medical or City decided to pull the plug after making a breakthrough with a different target. Something will have gone on behind the scenes IMO. His PR bollocks about not wanting to leave/putting first team football first or some such will be swallowed up though.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Delph probably failed a medical or City decided to pull the plug after making a breakthrough with a different target. Something will have gone on behind the scenes IMO. His PR bollocks about not wanting to leave/putting first team football first or some such will be swallowed up though.

you may be correct but couldn't give two sh!ts tbh

Delph will be Villa's captain again next year and will be starting in midfield alongside his "replacement" who Villa signed for around 9m yesterday.

Ah don't be so cynical!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In fairness Villa fans know the deal was supposed to be done, the talk is he just had a change of heart. Everybody knows the deal was almost done, and that up to yesterday he wanted to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

you may be correct but couldn't give two sh!ts tbh

Delph will be Villa's captain again next year and will be starting in midfield alongside his "replacement" who Villa signed for around 9m yesterday.

Is Gueye not more Cleverleys replacement/upgrade on Westwood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Casillas to Porto is off, for now at least.

Obviously will have recupersions for De Gea and any Man U biz.

• Advertisement

Is Gueye not more Cleverleys replacement/upgrade on Westwood?

he is now anyway. Until the Delph U turn he had been talked of as a Delph replacement due to the similar fee and the timing of the signing / Delphs departure but technically he (ill admit ive not seen much of him) would be most akin to Westwood out of those 3 as in he is a CM and more a DM than a AM from all accounts.

Villa's CM should be sorted now with Delph, Gueye, Sanchez and Westwood in there.

The next sigining is expected to be Nice left back Jordan Amavi also. Other players linked at the moment include Praet from Anderlecht (highly rated Belgian AM) and Chery from Groningen (Dutch Winger).

he is now anyway. Until the Delph U turn he had been talked of as a Delph replacement due to the similar fee and the timing of the signing / Delphs departure but technically he (ill admit ive not seen much of him) would be most akin to Westwood out of those 3 as in he is a CM and more a DM than a AM from all accounts.

Villa's CM should be sorted now with Delph, Gueye, Sanchez and Westwood in there.

The next sigining is expected to be Nice left back Jordan Amavi also. Other players linked at the moment include Praet from Anderlecht (highly rated Belgian AM) and Chery from Groningen (Dutch Winger).

Is Amavi still on?

CSF wrote: »
    Is Amavi still on?

havent seen anything to suggest otherise (could have missed it thouh) just think there wasn't any news on him over the weekend. This was from Friday
    Villa are unlikely to do any business while they’re on tour in Portugal, however Nice left-back Jordan Amavi remains firmly on the radar.

If the claret and blues are to land anyone this week it’s likely to be the 21-year-old who boss Tim Sherwood desperately wants in his ranks.

Villa are prepared to pay around £8million for the 21-year-old who has already held initial talks with the club over a move.

Arsenal have tracked the France U21 international recently but it’s thought that they are no longer interested in his services.

Nice are willing to sell Amavi - one of their prized assets - to give them a much-needed cash injection, although it’s thought they might hold out for around £9million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Casillas to Porto is off, for now at least.

Obviously will have recupersions for De Gea and any Man U biz.
    TheTownie wrote: »

lollers

Just follow the club accounts and you'll find out when the deals are done.

Alonso >>>>Sweinsteiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

TheTownie wrote: »

If we hold onto De Gea it'd be brilliant!! I know he'll move for free next year but too see Madrid with Egg on their faces would be outstanding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Alonso >>>>Sweinsteiger

amusing.

Alonso >>>>Sweinsteiger

In what aspect? Taller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MrMac84 wrote: »
    In what aspect? Taller?
    Older I presume.Cant be anything to do with football ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

yabadabado wrote: »

They are different type players in fairness though. I wouldn't have anything between them in terms of being 'better'. Alonso is the rarest type of player in modern football imo, it's becoming harder and harder for a midfielder to have to try and dictate a game with the ball. Both great players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Amongst all the chatter United signing one of the best right backs in the world was almost forgotten

Instantly one of the best right backs in the league

Yeah Pep is fairly clueless I guess....

Too old isn't it.

Is he ?

I don't think I saw anyone mention that,do you think he is?

Amongst all the chatter United signing one of the best right backs in the world was almost forgotten

Says who?

Is there now question as to whether the starting Italy RB, and a guy who's made the Serie A Team of the Season 2 seasons running is one of the best in the world in his position?

Are people saying that that player, whoever it is, shouldn't be counted as one of the best in his position in the world?

Anyone saying that has a pretty weird agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Just like Soldado was one of the best strikers in the league?

Give the kid some time to play ball first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Is there now question as to whether the starting Italy RB, and a guy who's made the Serie A Team of the Season 2 seasons running is one of the best in the world in his position?

Are people saying that that player, whoever it is, shouldn't be counted as one of the best in his position in the world?

I'll take one for the team and say that he isn't.

I don't watch Serie A a whole lot but it's certainly improving although just because Juve reached the CL final does not mean it's above the PL and Bundesliga imo.

Italy are also far from as good as they were. All things aside they've failed to get out of the group stages the past 2 WC's, and the fact that aging players continue to start somewhat indicates that their young players aren't up to standard.

Also, if you think that just because he starts for Italy he must be good, then what about Abate who used to start for them? Surely he must've been an amazing player, right? or maybe he's just an average player in a mid-table SerieA side, just like Darmian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

You tell 'em Rayne!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cause that kind of logic always works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've watched nearly all of Torino's games for the past 2 seasons as my Italian house mate supports them. He's good but i think you're placing him on a level higher than he'll be able to deliver. Even though he was in the team of the year. He regressed last year from the season before in my opinion.

I'll take one for the team and say that he isn't.

I don't watch Serie A a whole lot but it's certainly improving although just because Juve reached the CL final does not mean it's above the PL and Bundesliga imo.

Italy are also far from as good as they were. All things aside they've failed to get out of the group stages the past 2 WC's, and the fact that aging players continue to start somewhat indicates that their young players aren't up to standard.

Also, if you think that just because he starts for Italy he must be good, then what about Abate who used to start for them? Surely he must've been an amazing player, right? or maybe he's just an average player in a mid-table SerieA side, just like Darmian.

Right Back is a problem position in the world at the moment, so yeah, anyone starting for Italy in that position is probably good enough to be called one of the best in the world in the position.

I'd like to see a, say, top twenty RBs in the world list, on which Darmian doesn't feature.

Right Back is a problem position in the world at the moment, so yeah, anyone starting for Italy in that position is probably good enough to be called one of the best in the world in the position.

I'd like to see a, say, top twenty RBs in the world list, on which Darmian doesn't feature.

Being in the top20 RB's does not make you 'world class'. That term is bandied about far too often, and this case is the prime example.

And as I've shown before, starting for Italy means f*ck all; are you prepared to say Balotelli is 'world class' because he was Italy's talisman at Euro2012?:pac:

I think you just need to wait and see with this player.

never used the term. was careful not to, that's you putting words in my posts.

But being in the top 20 in any position does make you one of the best in that position in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I've watched nearly all of Torino's games for the past 2 seasons as my Italian house mate supports them. He's good but i think you're placing him on a level higher than he'll be able to deliver. Even though he was in the team of the year. He regressed last year from the season before in my opinion.

Wasn't Bruno Peres their right back most of last season? Saw Darmian play in a back 3 a few times which wasn't pretty.
    Always remember that amazing goal Peres got vs. Juve.
    Gutted that El Sharrawy is going to Monaco as a Milan fan :(
    I'd take him fit over Bacca or Luiz Adriano so much potential when injury free.
    Being linked with Ibrahimovic again too at 33 on big wages. I hope it doesn't happen tbh....he's far better than what we have but I'd rather blow a load of money on someone younger

never used the term. was careful not to, that's you putting words in my posts.

But being in the top 20 in any position does make you one of the best in that position in the world

Fine, but the general consensus from United fans here is that Darmian is an amazing player who is one of the top RB's in the world, simply because he starts for Italy and was in the Serie A TOTY. This notion is unbelievably ridiculous, but I can't say I'm surprised where it's coming from tbh.

Yes, and so does being in the top50 and the top100 and top500. How far back do you go when classing someone as 'one of the best in that position in the world'? If it's for one single position then it's probably top10 at a stretch, and Darmian is not in that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wasn't Bruno Peres their right back most of last season? Saw Darmian play in a back 3 a few times which wasn't pretty.
    Always remember that amazing goal Peres got vs. Juve.
    Gutted that El Sharrawy is going to Monaco as a Milan fan :(
    I'd take him fit over Bacca or Luiz Adriano so much potential when injury free.
    Being linked with Ibrahimovic again too at 33 on big wages. I hope it doesn't happen tbh....he's far better than what we have but I'd rather blow a load of money on someone younger

Can definitely see Ibrahimovic to Milan happening, he's been courted for too long.

Milan go all out to sign him and he's already said before he really likes Milan and would play for them again.

Strange to focus on the attack when the defence is the real problem, although Ibrahimovic in the hole behind Carlos Bacca and Luiz Adriano is a lethal front 3.

Is he ?

I don't think I saw anyone mention that,do you think he is?

No, but when you put two strings together and analyse what he did last season it's abc

No, but when you put two strings together and analyse what he did last season it's abc

Can you elaborate on this ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement