Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

If Schnederlin signs for united I will be a very disappointed man (arsenal fan) he is a quality player and will become a world name once he joins a bigger club. Is Sterling to City as good as done? Still praying for Benzema to Arsenal on deadline day mind you I don't think il be holding my breath.
    Hard to see Chelsea not winning it again next year and City,United,Arsenal to fight for 2nd,3rd,4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ96/status/620350875186262016

They are going to have to make up there mind on Benteke. Pay the release clause or hopefully move on to better targets & offer 40m for Lacazette or Aubameyang.
    I'd love to hear those talks.

'Sell us him for less than less his release clause'

'No.'

'Ah go on.'

'No.'

'Please.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Schweiny and Schneiderlin in the space of two days for about 40 mil or so...versus Sterling. Even as a City fan I can't deny that's incredible. Fantastic business if they pull it off, especially the latter. Tried and tested and proven as one of the leagues best, will slot in no problem. If they can get Schweiny as many games as possible, they're laughing altogether. Money talks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

United's business so far, good as it is, is only half done really. De Gea needs to be replaced, another centre half is needed, another striker and winger would be welcome to the squad too. Can't complain with anything so far though. Strong options in midfield now, Valencia out of right back and Depay to speed up the attack. Keep it going now Ed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United's business so far, good as it is, is only half done really. De Gea needs to be replaced, another centre half is needed, another striker and winger would be welcome to the squad too. Can't complain with anything so far though. Strong options in midfield now, Valencia out of right back and Depay to speed up the attack. Keep it going now Ed.

Unless wide options are sold I can't see you getting that part of your wish. With current wide options of Di Maria, Depay, Mata, Young, Januzaj and Valencia I can't see it as a priority area for recruitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

United need a keeper if DDG leaves,a CB and a CF.If those positions are filled then it will be a very good window.
    About £75m spent so far and some money coming in from transfers.I could see United spending a big sum on one player later on in the summer.The cash is there no doubt about it.

United finally actually bothering to address their midfield problem makes me feel old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't get what people see in Sterling that makes him worth that money. £25 million and I'm including the English tax is the most I'd expect anybody to pay for him. It does't matter what age he is, if I had that money an wanted and English player I'd be buying Harry Kane.

Imo Jordan Ibe is a far more talented youngster than Sterling.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't get what people see in Sterling that makes him worth that money. £25 million and I'm including the English tax is the most I'd expect anybody to pay for him. It does't matter what age he is, if I had that money an wanted and English player I'd be buying Harry Kane.

Imo Jordan Ibe is a far more talented youngster than Sterling.
    If you think Ibe is more talented that's probably what's making you not see the price as being that high.

Most people view Sterling as the brighter prospect (seemingly including Liverpool and City) which led to the price being so high. Including the English 20 year old tax that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

United doing great business. A top CB, a top CF and a De Gea replacement and its gonna be tight between themselves and Chelsea if all these players can gel quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Schweiny and Schneiderlin in the space of two days for about 40 mil or so...versus Sterling. Even as a City fan I can't deny that's incredible. Fantastic business if they pull it off, especially the latter. Tried and tested and proven as one of the leagues best, will slot in no problem. If they can get Schweiny as many games as possible, they're laughing altogether. Money talks lads!

To be honest as a top class player Schweinsteiger is finished. There's a reason Bayern are letting him go - he adds no value anymore. He only made 15 league starts last season. Admittedly Bayern have a much better team than Man United but they should be striving to be as good as Bayern with their resources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Godot. wrote: »
    To be honest as a top class player Schweinsteiger is finished. There's a reason Bayern are letting him go - he adds no value anymore. He only made 15 league starts last season. Admittedly Bayern have a much better team than Man United but they should be striving to be as good as Bayern with their resources

I agree with the first line, but think he'll be more of a bit-part player for Van Goal, huge experience which will be vital if the need arises against top 4 teams or struggling to break down other teams. Don't expect him to be playing too many full 90 minute games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mick McCarthy on a loan bid for Daryl Murphy. :pac:

CJyVnIAWcAAKahT.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Begovic has joined Chelsea. I mean the money's going to be good sure, but he's too good to spend the next four years sitting on his arse. He'll get the league cup and the odd game where Courtois is injured but you'd think he'd want to play more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I doubt he'll stay for the duration. Probably only stay 2 or 3 years cashing his pay and then move on to play elsewhere having made his money easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jeremain Lens having a medical at Sunderland today, per ESPN. They also say the rumoured fee is £9m.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Paully D wrote: »
    Mick McCarthy on a loan bid for Daryl Murphy. :pac:

CJyVnIAWcAAKahT.jpg

I love that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

El shaaraway off to monaco from milan, last 2 seasons for him were a complete write off. Only 22 though so can easily turn it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

klose wrote: »
    El shaaraway off to monaco from milan, last 2 seasons for him were a complete write off. Only 22 though so can easily turn it around.

strange how with all their big signings Milan let him go

• Advertisement

Hopefully he'll stay injury free. Shockingly gifted player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

klose wrote: »

Total bargain for Monaco, €3m loan fee with a mandatory option to buy for another €16m if he makes 15 appearances. If he's an injury crock again this season I guess they can send him back to Milan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Godot. wrote: »
    Q: So what you're saying is that Bayern were quite happy to let them go?

A: There was certainly an understanding that they would not put an unrealistic price tag on him to prevent his departure. This was not one of those cases, like Toni Kroos' in 2014, where a player simply has to be sold because he's only got one year left on his contract and could otherwise go free 12 months later. Bayern felt they owed their longest-serving player at least an uncomplicated farewell if they didn't make him an offer to extend his contract beyond 2016.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/bayern-munich/132/blog/post/2521623/bayern-reasons-for-selling-schweinsteiger-to-man-unitedbayern-reasons-for-selling-schweinsteiger-to-man-united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Didn't Schweinsteiger struggle next to Alonso when played with him? Didn't seem like they complimented each others style of play a lot. Should be interesting if he plays next to Carrick. I can see him playing very well with Fellaini/Schneiderlin. Shocking to think Sterling cost more than Darmian/Depay/Schweinsteiger but nice to see Liverpool on the opposite end of a transfer involving an overpriced Englishman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yaya Sanogo on loan to Ajax, if he passes the medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

inforfun wrote: »
    Yaya Sanogo on loan to Ajax, if he passes the medical.

Signing Amin Younes from Gladbach as well. Could be a very good signing. Never really got a proper chance at Gladbach.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Signing Amin Younes from Gladbach as well. Could be a very good signing. Never really got a proper chance at Gladbach.

Dutch media has him as a left winger.
    Guess Ajax lost patience with Kishna and/or Fisher.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Doff wrote: »
    Didn't Schweinsteiger struggle next to Alonso when played with him? Didn't seem like they complimented each others style of play a lot. Should be interesting if he plays next to Carrick. I can see him playing very well with Fellaini/Schneiderlin. Shocking to think Sterling cost more than Darmian/Depay/Schweinsteiger but nice to see Liverpool on the opposite end of a transfer involving an overpriced Englishman.

Would imagine that the main line up would be Schweinsteiger with Herrera beside him, and Schneiderlin behind. Can't see him starting many games with Carrick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Can see Younes shining at Ajax.
    Superbly gifted footballer, couldn't understand why Favre wasn't utilising him a little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

£49,000,000 and £200,000 a week.

In the grand scheme of things, what has Raheem Sterling done in the game to warrant that price tag and those wages at the age of 20?

• Advertisement

andyman wrote: »

In the grand scheme of things, what has Raheem Sterling done in the game to warrant that price tag and those wages at the age of 20?

He's English, Liverpool obviously didn't want to sell, and City have dat oil monies. Pretty much everything came down in Pool's favour on this one, and I think they've done very well with the deal.

Mind, 200k a week at the age of 20 is crazy; imagine how much he'll be on in a few years when renewal talks start up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Nothing apart from been english :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Mind, 200k a week at the age of 20 is crazy; imagine how much he'll be on in a few years when renewal talks start up.

Knowing Aidy Ward that will be in about 18 months time. Or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Liverpool came out on top with this one crazy money for a player with a lot to prove and a huge ego that distrupts the club. Podolski,Sanogo,Campbell all gone for Arsenal so Wenger must be planning to bring in a striker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

With the transfers so far and the rumoured transfers, can any of the EPL teams hope to compete with Bayern and co. in Europe?

Liverpool came out on top with this one crazy money for a player with a lot to prove and a huge ego that distrupts the club. Podolski,Sanogo,Campbell all gone for Arsenal so Wenger must be planning to bring in a striker

Must be the return of Lord Bendtner. Nothing else makes sense.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He's English, Liverpool obviously didn't want to sell, and City have dat oil monies. Pretty much everything came down in Pool's favour on this one, and I think they've done very well with the deal.

Liverpool have done fantastically out of that deal. £49million for a player who has shown a good 6 months of football alongside Suarez and Sturridge, nothing after that, and is proven to be a disruption.

£200,000 a week though. He's has literally done nothing in the game to demand that sort of money at all, never mind demanding it at the age of 20!

Michael Carrick is on £80,000 a week and has done this

Premier League (5): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
    Football League Cup (1): 2009–10
    FA Community Shield (5): 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Sterling has done this:

And is worth 200k a week apparently. Jesus wept.

QPR didnt do too bad in that deal either. 20% of 49 million goes there i read somewhere.

Liverpool have done fantastically out of that deal. £49million for a player who has shown a good 6 months of football alongside Suarez and Sturridge, nothing after that, and is proven to be a disruption.

£200,000 a week though. He's has literally done nothing in the game to demand that sort of money at all, never mind demanding it at the age of 20!

Sterling has done this:

Take it away CSF!
    CSF wrote: »
    Congrats on being that guy.

Take it away CSF!

Go on, I'll bite. What's wrong with my post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Go on, I'll bite. What's wrong with my post?

You turned it into a United vs Liverpool thing by bringing up Michael Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sterling has done this:

What is this done nothing ****e? They're paying for potential..blows my mind that people can't get that concept through their heads. United paid 30m for Rooney years and years ago, what had he achieved? Nothing and its irrelevant.

Why did Rory McIlroy have sponsorship deals before playing his first professional tournament? Potential

AdamD wrote: »
    What is this done nothing ****e? They're paying for potential..blows my mind that people can't get that concept through their heads. United paid 30m for Rooney years and years ago, what had he achieved? Nothing and its irrelevant.

Tbh, the fee isn't that bad, all things considered.

But the wages.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sterling to inherit the hallowed number 7 jersey for City.

Previously worn by such giants of the game as David Rocastle, Georgi Kinkladze, Spencer Prior, Darren Huckerby, Stephen Ireland, and most recently, Liverpool's own James Milner.

Schweinsteiger's wage rumoured to be £275k a week...would take him past Yaya. Savage money if true.

AdamD wrote: »

Why did Rory McIlroy have sponsorship deals before playing his first professional tournament? Potential

Rooney had established himself as Everton's best player and was one of the best players at Euro 2004 before he went off injured in the quarter final against Portugal.

Sterling was part of an attacking trio that included Suarez and Sturridge, and when Suarez left and Sturridge got injured, he was nowhere to be seen as Liverpool's main man.

It's not the fee I'm giving out about as such anyway, it's more the wages. £200,000 a week is given to those at the top of the game who have performed at that level for a number of years.

Has Sterling reached that level? No, he hasn't.

Has Sterling done more than Rooney did at the age of 20? No, he hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,537 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wasn't he requesting 150k per wk from Liverpool, who wouldn't go over 100k?
    Why the hell did city give him another 50k on top of that??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Schweinsteiger's wage rumoured to be £275k a week...would take him past Yaya. Savage money if true.

No chance that's true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Don't know where you saw that. £140K a week seems to be the consensus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

any link to that ?

Advertisement