Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He earned €10m/y at Bayern and his United salary is said to be the same.

That's around £140k/€200k p/w.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

retalivity wrote: »
    Wasn't he requesting 150k per wk from Liverpool, who wouldn't go over 100k?
    Why the hell did city give him another 50k on top of that??

Peter Ridsdale must be an advisor to city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

yabadabado wrote: »
    any link to that ?

I saw it on my newsfeed on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sterlings agent may be unsavoury but boy is he good at his job

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sterlings agent may be unsavoury but boy is he good at his job

It really depends on whether you think his job is to make money for his client or do the best for him football wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It really depends on whether you think his job is to make money for his client or do the best for him football wise.

Pretty sure hes managed both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Knocked it out of the park on both fronts there. Sterling starts the season on a team that can compete.

Liverpool are miles away and drifting further unfortunately.

Yeah, he did he job.

170k a week pay rise and a 4m windfall.

Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He has pretty much nailed both targets .Increase in wages and gone to a better team who will be competing at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah, he did he job.

170k a week pay rise and a 4m windfall.

Can't argue with that.

Can see some sponsors steering clear of him for a while though, his public image is well tainted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Knocked it out of the park on both fronts there. Sterling starts the season on a team that can compete.

Liverpool are miles away and drifting further unfortunately.

I fail to see how a £49m price tag is good pressure for a 20 year old's development. If his agent had his best interests he would have got him 120k at Liverpool then angled for move in 2 years.
    But this was all driven by sterling I don't buy he was badly advised stuff.

Whatever happens sterling will make £50m over the next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

rob316 wrote: »
    I fail to see how a £49m price tag is good pressure for a 20 year old's development. If his agent had his best interests he would have got him 120k at Liverpool then angled for move in 2 years.
    But this was all driven by sterling I don't buy he was badly advised stuff.

Whatever happens sterling will make £50m over the next 5 years.

That makes no sense whatsoever .

ArtyM wrote: »
    Can see some sponsors steering clear of him for a while though, his public image is well tainted.

I doubt it very much. He'll be swimming in sponsorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Man City now interested in James Mccarthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Money is getting ****ing mental in the game. 20 years old and on £200k sterling a week. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It was a lot of money for Sterling but all things considered it's probably the going rate for him. One of the best young players in the world, proven in the Premier League, homegrown and if he does live up to his potential he could be a huge player for both City & England over the next 10 years. He has a long way to go but the fee isn't that outrageous, I do agree that his wages are insane though if the rumoured £200k a week is true.

I was disappointed when he made it clear that he wanted to leave Liverpool as I never think it's a good thing to lose your best players, despite Liverpool making decent signings so far this season I think they will struggle to sign a player who is the same quality as Sterling. Once he dug his heels in and acted the way he did there was no going back though and most fans seem happy enough to be getting £49m for him. I think he will be a starting player for City next season in a team that will be challenging for the title and playing with world class players, which will also be good for England. Manchester City might not be a good place to go for most young English players but I think Sterling is one of the exceptions, he should be good enough to be a starting XI player for them. Maybe an extra season at Liverpool would have done him no harm but overall this is as close to a deal that suits everyone that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

McManaman won 2 La Ligas and 2 CLs in 4 seasons with Madrid, scoring in the final of the 2000 CL final and making over 150 appearances.

His playing time got cut as more Galacticos came in, but he is one of the most (possibly the most?) successful English players to have gone abroad in terms of trophies.

Kewell won 1 CL does not make him a great player. I am not saying he was not a good player he was but he suffered greatly from injury when he was in Spain and as you said better players came in. You can win a trophy and medals by being on a bench and playing every now and again. Dont get me wrong I am a big fan when he was in Liverpool.

Would Owen Hargreaves not have won more abroad then McManaman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eh i dunno wrote: »

I'd say McCarthy is all ears considering what they are paying Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It was a lot of money for Sterling but all things considered it's probably the going rate for him.

It's not though. The going rate for him should be 20 to 25M to be honest. I think it took some unique circumstances for him to go for almost 50M. Namely City having a bottomless pit of money and them being desperate for young English players. I don't think anyone else would have offered anything near that. Even the other very wealthy English clubs.

A player going for near 50M should be a guaranteed world class player. Sterling may develop into that in a few years time but he could also be the new Tony Daley. City can afford the gamble though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

That would be very strange. Her just be a white Fernando/fernandinho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's not though. The going rate for him should be 20 to 25M to be honest. I think it took some unique circumstances for him to go for almost 50M. Namely City having a bottomless pit of money and them being desperate for young English players. I don't think anyone else would have offered anything near that. Even the other very wealthy English clubs.

A player going for near 50M should be a guaranteed world class player. Sterling may develop into that in a few years time but he could also be the new Tony Daley. City can afford the gamble though.

We live in a world where Adam Lallana cost £25m and, as such, the fee for Sterling cannot be £20 - £25m.

Where I think City are shorting themselves is the wages. They could probably have saved £30 - £40k a week there, possibly more. That said, if he does perform as they hope that contract will protect them to some degree from a Madrid saga in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wouldnt want to see McCarthy go to City. Even if Toure leaves, he'll still see limited playing time. Wouldnt be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

City should sign Diaby on a pay as you play.

If by some miracle he stays fit then could be a decent enough signing however if he stays injured then he will be at least be another Home grown player but wont cost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

My mind can't compute this for some reason. It's like City dont take it all seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Clasie to Southampton for 7m, apparently. That's an absolute steal if it goes through.

Might mean Liverpool can keep the transfer fee below 30m when they sign him in two years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That fee is €12 million for Clasie.
    Still too low.
    Sad to see him leave but he ll be back one day.

Can only hope Feyenoord managed to get a hefty sell on percentage out of it.

Feyenoord had his successor already bought last week Vejenovic, from Vitesse.
    Feyenoord really needed to add goals to midfield and for that either Clasie or El Ahmadi had to go. Obviously had rather seen Clasie stay en El Ahmadi go.
    They also bought Simon Gustafson from Hacken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

We live in a world where Adam Lallana cost £25m and, as such, the fee for Sterling cannot be £20 - £25m.

Where I think City are shorting themselves is the wages. They could probably have saved £30 - £40k a week there, possibly more. That said, if he does perform as they hope that contract will protect them to some degree from a Madrid saga in a couple of years.

Not to mention no one has a clue what the wages are at all. City restructured all there contracts in the last couple of years, they are all performance based with a lower basic, so if the 200k is even true it means he and the team will have to be firing on all cylinders and if thats the case its money well spent.

Looking forward to seeing Clasie in the premier league, shrewd bit of business by southampton again. Should see them in the top half of the league again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Everton should slap at least €25m on McCarthy's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

25 million euro? That's nothing to City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

This is the part that makes no sense to me. Sterling had completely burnt his bridges with Liverpool, there were no other teams willing to bid 50m, and his current wage was 30k a week (or maybe 35k?). City surely held all the cards with the wage negotiations, I see no reason why they would have offered more than 150k, and even something in the region of 100k would have been near impossible for Sterling to turn down given how public he'd made his desperation to join City. The only conclusion I can draw is the City owners genuinely dont give two ****s about money and are so rich that its just completely irrelevant to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Downing to Middlesbrough, definitely thought he'd be a good signing for another Premier League Club.

Cambiasso hasn't signed any new deal at Leicester either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

MR NINE wrote: »
    This is the part that makes no sense to me. Sterling had completely burnt his bridges with Liverpool, there were no other teams willing to bid 50m, and his current wage was 30k a week (or maybe 35k?). City surely held all the cards with the wage negotiations, I see no reason why they would have offered more than 150k, and even something in the region of 100k would have been near impossible for Sterling to turn down given how public he'd made his desperation to join City. The only conclusion I can draw is the City owners genuinely dont give two ****s about money and are so rich that its just completely irrelevant to them

I'd say the contract with sterling was more or less agreed 6 months ago. It was just a matter of sterling and city convincing Liverpool to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

ronjo wrote: »
    City should sign Diaby on a pay as you play.

If by some miracle he stays fit then could be a decent enough signing however if he stays injured then he will be at least be another Home grown player but wont cost too much.

I dont think it works like that. If you're one home grown player short of a 25 man squad, then you just leave one unregistered spot (so you have a 24 person squad)

Under 21 players don't have to be registered so you can use as many of them as you want. Signing Diaby would be an awful move I think.

That would scare City off for sure!

He'd be lost at City imo, out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That would scare City off for sure!

He'd be lost at City imo, out of his depth.
    I disagree strongly, I think he is one of the best in his position in the Premier league.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I disagree strongly, I think he is one of the best in his position in the Premier league.

He'll surely be snapped up then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

One of the comments

e80e9d835d89fea813a05288ccdfe028.png

And that in a week £49 million was paid for a circus act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

inforfun wrote: »
    On of the comments

e80e9d835d89fea813a05288ccdfe028.png

And that in a week £49 million was paid for a circus act.

There's an 8 year age gap to be fair so Sterling comparisons are unfair. Still though, I'd take Vidal in a flash so you expect to pay big money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Where is he going to play? Sounds like an unneccessary signing. I don't see it happening.

They sold Schweinsteiger because they had too many CMs and he wasn't going to play.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    There's an 8 year age gap to be fair so Sterling comparisons are unfair. Still though, I'd take Vidal in a flash so you expect to pay big money for him.

I know you cant compare them like for like.
    But if i had to pick either one for Feyenoord it would be: Hello Arturo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He'll surely be snapped up then?
    Unlikely as his manager has said that he is not for sale and central to his plans for the upcoming season.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Unlikely as his manager has said that he is not for sale and central to his plans for the upcoming season.

Clubs say players are not for sale all the time. Money talks. Dangle enough money and he'd be gone. If he's as good as you say he is there'll be clubs fighting over him. I have my doubts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

inforfun wrote: »
    I know you cant compare them like for like.
    But if i had to pick either one for Feyenoord it would be: Hello Arturo!
    For sure. But that won't be your opinion in 3 years I don't think. So there is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lens officially to sunderland now for an undisclosed fee, could be a good little signing that. Advocaat certainly being backed there.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Where is he going to play? Sounds like an unneccessary signing. I don't see it happening.

They sold Schweinsteiger because they had too many CMs and he wasn't going to play.

Think they should give hojbjerg a run in the team now scweinsteiger is gone.

klose wrote: »
    Lens officially to sunderland now for an undisclosed fee, could be a good little signing that. Advocaat certainly being backed there.

€12 million reported in the Dutch press.
    Good business by Kiev. Paid 9 for him 2 years ago and he really wanted to leave Ukraine. Although a 5%-15% sell on fee goes to PSV

Clasie confirmed to southampton now, great signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Liverpool have bid £25m for Clasie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Clubs say players are not for sale all the time. Money talks. Dangle enough money and he'd be gone. If he's as good as you say he is there'll be clubs fighting over him. I have my doubts

There's reported interest from City and Spurs. Everton have no need to sell and have done alright in fending off bids for Baines and Coleman in this and recent windows. Granted if someone offers 30 million upwards it would be hard to say no. Or if the player wants to move, a la Fellaini.

• Advertisement
Advertisement