Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Di Marzio is now saying Vidal to Bayern for €40m has been agreed.

I don't understand why. Getting the moaners to shut up about Schweinsteiger leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oat23 wrote: »
    Where is he going to play?
    In midfield - he's better than any current CMs Bayern have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Valdes to be binned off by united, the desert awaits id say.

In midfield - he's better than any current CMs Bayern have.

It's an unnecessary signing if you ask me. Their midfield is great as it is. €40m + huge wages + the stuff that happened when they tried to sign him from Leverkusen made me doubt it was happening until Di Marzio said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

klose wrote: »
    Lens officially to sunderland now for an undisclosed fee, could be a good little signing that. Advocaat certainly being backed there.

£8m per the BBC and a couple of others. I admittedly haven't seen all that much of him, so what's the consensus lads?

On paper his record is very impressive. 89 goals and 80 odd assists for club teams in 325 games (basically a goal or assist in less than 1 in 2 games) and he has 8 goals and 6 assists in 30 for the national team.

For a club that created the least amount of chances in the league last season and who have suffered a lack of midfield creativity for as long as I can remember, this seems to be a step in the right direction anyway? Or am I wrong?

He earned €10m/y at Bayern and his United salary is said to be the same.

That's around £140k/€200k p/w.

Bild have changed the story now and say in an article tonight he's getting €14m/y and up to €1m extra in bonuses.

That would be around €270k/£189k per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Freddy Adu joins Tampa Bay Rowdies - his 13th professional club.

https://twitter.com/TampaBayRowdies/status/621106635222728704

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I remember when he was the next Raheem Sterling! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's an unnecessary signing if you ask me. Their midfield is great as it is. €40m + huge wages + the stuff that happened when they tried to sign him from Leverkusen made me doubt it was happening until Di Marzio said it.

They do have a very good midfield, but that never stops big teams. And I do think they're missing a driving force from midfield - Thiago isn't that, Alonso isn't at all that and Martinez is a bit more defensive. Alaba could be, but he plays at LB more often than not (he's superb for Austria in CM). I think it's a damn good signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Valdes to be binned off by united, the desert awaits id say.

Apparently Valencia have been in contact in regards Valdes.

Sure he might opt for that big money move to Dubai or America but I'd love to see him go play for a club like Valencia, pre injury he was a sublime goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Sure he might opt for that big money move to Dubai or America but I'd love to see him go play for a club like Valencia, pre injury he was a sublime goalkeeper.

Really? Valdes? Always thought he was a fairly crap keeper tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Valdes certainly wasn't a crap keeper, a pretty good one really especially in the last 2 or 3 seasons at Barca. I'm really surprised at his supposed behaviour at United though, refusing to play for the reserve team and by the sounds of it more things as well, according to Van Gaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

He wasn't sublime take the goggles off! He was a good keeper but never any more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Corholio wrote: »
    Valdes certainly wasn't a crap keeper, a pretty good one really especially in the last 2 or 3 seasons at Barca. I'm really surprised at his supposed behaviour at United though, refusing to play for the reserve team and by the sounds of it more things as well, according to Van Gaal.

He obviously believes he is more than a goalkeeper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Paully D wrote: »
    £8m per the BBC and a couple of others. I admittedly haven't seen all that much of him, so what's the consensus lads?

On paper his record is very impressive. 89 goals and 80 odd assists for club teams in 325 games (basically a goal or assist in less than 1 in 2 games) and he has 8 goals and 6 assists in 30 for the national team.

For a club that created the least amount of chances in the league last season and who have suffered a lack of midfield creativity for as long as I can remember, this seems to be a step in the right direction anyway? Or am I wrong?

2 of his highlights during his time at PSV

And

Got himself banned for quite a few matches for that last stunt.

He will have his moments at Sunderland but i dont think clubs will be fighting over him at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

According to Italian newspapers (translated by a colleague) it will be Vidal + €8 million and Juve get Gotze in return.

The swap of players sounds like it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

inforfun wrote: »
    According to Italian newspapers (translated by a colleague) it will be Vidal + €8 million and Juve get Gotze in return.

The swap of players sounds like it makes sense.

Next season we'll hear Trevor Welsh saying Morata to Gotsey....
    I love the translations on Football Italia of the headlines.
    Milan, the defence is worrisome. Romagnoli, no to €25 million :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He wasn't sublime take the goggles off! He was a good keeper but never any more than that.

Agreed. Valdes was never top drawer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Valdes is good. He had it handy at Barca as he never really had anyone to come in and challenge him. I don't think he would have been number one for so long at another top club, though.

That said, he'd be a handy backup for any top team and would be a good signing for Atleti right now. Oblak still has a way to go and Moya just isn't up to it.

I think LVG is being a dick about the situation, though. Just come out and say he's not needed or you don't want him. Trying to paint him as something he's not is just poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He obviously believes he is more than a goalkeeper...

Despite this odd sneering tone I hear in my head each time I read your message, Valdes is more than just a goalkeeper for Barcelona fans. He's an academy product, a local boy done good, he's a treble winner, a legend at the club, the greatest goalkeeper in Barcelona's history.

For me, Victor Valdes was a top 5 in the world keeper at various points throughout his career and, for a time, the best keeper in La Liga.

He was Barcelona's long term number one for so long because no other goalkeeper better suited Barcelona. He's the prototype Barcelona goalkeeper, it's in his mould that all other Barcelona keepers must be. He'd still be number one but for Valdes himself wanting to move on.

• Advertisement

Van Gaal is becoming very Van Gaal again.
    Seems the pressure is getting to him again and anything can happen then.

Doubt he ll see out his contract (which runs till 2017 iirc) and i will nog be surprised at all if they get rid of him before this season ends.

And if that happens, the blame will be on anyone/everybody but himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People loosing their **** over Sterling and the costs involved are kinda funny. As if that is some form of massive investment from City.

Simple fact is City wanted to pry one of Liverpool's prized asset away(only one left really) and managed to do so, and were happy to pay the price for it. No guarantees Liverpool will re-invest that money wisely, so calls on it being " a good deal" are a bit premature.

Rooney cost United £25m at only 18. Maybe you can argue with inflation and today's markets etc., that the Rooney deal would probably cost similar.

If Sterling goes on to achieve something to the level of Rooney, it will be money well spent by City, and as it was with Everton, the claimed "good deal" will have nothing tangible to show for it.

While I don't rate Sterling as one of the best in Europe, I think he is a good talent, and with some more development will probably go onto have a very successful career for City.

So funny, the way fans talk and react to values, transfers and the money involved, just so how clueless we really are about the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Di Marzio is now saying Vidal to Bayern for €40m has been agreed.

I don't understand why. Getting the moaners to shut up about Schweinsteiger leaving?

Bayerns midfield looked a bit lightweight in parts last season. Were fine domestically to get through, but looked like a bit of a weak link during the CL. Granted it was injury related, wouldn't be a bad idea getting some high quality in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

€40m or about £28/29m is a good price for Vidal. Should put an end to the Pogba rumours as I cant see them selling Vidal and Pogba in the same transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GavRedKing wrote: »
    €40m or about £28/29m is a good price for Vidal. Should put an end to the Pogba rumours as I cant see them selling Vidal and Pogba in the same transfer window.

£87K a week,he'd probably have gotten £150k in England,well played Bayern.

https://twitter.com/goal_intl/status/621636959308386304
    Robinho signs six-month deal at Guangzhou Evergrande

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

GavRedKing wrote: »

and Pirlo.

no way they replace all three of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Trilla wrote: »
    Agreed. Valdes was never top drawer

I hate that saying. My socks any boxers are in the top drawer, are you implying that valdes wasn't socks or boxers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Liverpool have triggered Benteke's release clause fee.

Edit: may be a bit premature with that post. Missed the words 'look set' in the middle of the tweet.

Kaboul undergoing medical at Sunderland.

Liverpool have triggered Benteke's release clause fee.

Edit: may be a bit premature with that post. Missed the words 'look set' in the middle of the tweet.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-brink-completing-christian-9669677
    The Reds have decided to trigger the release clause in the Belgium international's contract and he's set to become the second most expensive signing in the club's history.

Liverpool have been chasing Benteke all summer but had previously been unwilling to pay the asking price.

With Villa desperate to keep hold of Benteke and unwilling to negotiate on the price, a stand-off had developed in recent weeks but the impasse has now been broken by the Reds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Really good signing for Liverpool despite the price. Now ship out Balo and they have done fierce well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Gavlor wrote: »
    I hate that saying. My socks any boxers are in the top drawer, are you implying that valdes wasn't socks or boxers?
    I think he's implying Valdes is pants, tbh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Really good signing for Liverpool despite the price. Now ship out Balo and they have done fierce well.
    If they get Benteke they should hang on to Balotelli imo. He would do serious damage playing off Benteke, problem for him last year was being expected to play the lone striker role which doesn't suit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I agree. I don't really get some of the snootiness about him just because he's a "big man" up front so to speak. Maybe Liverpool fans still spooked by the ghost of Andy Carroll. Benteke has presence, good technique and can score all types of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Benteke has presence, good technique and can score all types of goals.

Afaik half of his goals are penalties or headers. I don't think he'll suit our system at all.

He needs crosses and we made less crosses than anyone in the league last season.

https://twitter.com/MessiMinutes/status/621646151763251200

Sanogo going on loan to Ajax from Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Brendan Rodgers must have one of the worst records in history in terms of money spent and what he's won

300 million at Liverpool if Benteke goes through

Think they should give hojbjerg a run in the team now scweinsteiger is gone.

Hojbjerg could head back to Augsburg with Vidal coming in it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eagle eye wrote: »
    If they get Benteke they should hang on to Balotelli imo. He would do serious damage playing off Benteke, problem for him last year was being expected to play the lone striker role which doesn't suit him.

Perhaps, but I think there's enough there with Sturridge, Origi, Ings and Benteke.

He wasn't anyway decent last year, and yeah circumstances were perhaps against him, but there's not a lot to save him here when you also consider he's on high wages and can actually fetch Liverpool an alright fee if sold.

I think he'll be gone, swiftly followed by Borini. Lambert will probably make way, but the teams that want him may not be able to stump up wages and with his career winding down, he could well be thinking of the money at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

TheDoc wrote: »

If Sterling goes on to achieve something to the level of Rooney, it will be money well spent by City, and as it was with Everton, the claimed "good deal" will have nothing tangible to show for it.

This is horse****. Everton finished 17th in Rooneys last season and were perennial strugglers rarely finishing in the top half of the table since the mid 90's. The money generated from his sale was massive for Everton. Since then the club has qualified for Europe several times and have only finished in the bottom half of the table twice in 11 years. It was a superb deal for Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Valdes is good. He had it handy at Barca as he never really had anyone to come in and challenge him. I don't think he would have been number one for so long at another top club, though.

That said, he'd be a handy backup for any top team and would be a good signing for Atleti right now. Oblak still has a way to go and Moya just isn't up to it.

I think LVG is being a dick about the situation, though. Just come out and say he's not needed or you don't want him. Trying to paint him as something he's not is just poor form.
    Valdes refused to turn out of the under-21's. That's unacceptable behaviour. Van Gaal also played him in the last game of the season partly to help him move and he's a dick now? How do you figure that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Brendan Rodgers must have one of the worst records in history in terms of money spent and what he's won

300 million at Liverpool if Benteke goes through

utd have spent that since ferguson retired,and won ????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Valdes refused to turn out of the under-21's. That's unacceptable behaviour. Van Gaal also played him in the last game of the season partly to help him move and he's a dick now? How do you figure that?

Or maybe LVG is just flexing his muscles to show the players and the fans he is the main man . It doesnt make much sense to play him in the last game of the season to help him move on if he then says the stuff he said last night. Id imagine there is a bit more to this than we currently know. It could be something like DDG will now be staying for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Or maybe LVG is just flexing his muscles to show the players and the fans he is the main man . It doesnt make much sense to play him in the last game of the season to help him move on if he then says the stuff he said last night. Id imagine there is a bit more to this than we currently know. It could be something like DDG will now be staying for the season.
    Picking him against Hull was practical more than anything. "See, he's not broken guys!". Clubs will take a chance that his attitude will be better next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Two different managers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Looks like you're today's winner of .... "You're that guy".
    Your prize is a shiny new whirlpool washing machine.

Tune in tomorrow for another edition, and with more fantastic prizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't really see the point in Benteke going to Liverpool, similar to Lukaku going to Everton. Not a sideways move obviously but not a huge step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He did play for the U-21s, that's the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

RasTa wrote: »
    I don't really see the point in Benteke going to Liverpool, similar to Lukaku going to Everton. Not a sideways move obviously but not a huge step up.

Villa were almost relegated last season........:rolleyes:
    They had a cup run but those two domestics cups mean sweet FA
    Neither of them are too good for where they'd be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RasTa wrote: »

Villa were battling relegation last season. As bad a season as Liverpool had they were still in the hunt for 4th in early April. And that was without having a decent striker available almost the entire season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement