Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Despite this odd sneering tone I hear in my head each time I read your message, Valdes is more than just a goalkeeper for Barcelona fans. He's an academy product, a local boy done good, he's a treble winner, a legend at the club, the greatest goalkeeper in Barcelona's history.

Maybe he played with the best Barcelona team and he did come through their system and was there for a long time but you really think he was a better keeper than Zubizaretta?

not that it means everything but:

Andoni Zubizaretta 126 caps for Spain
    Victor Valdes 20 caps for Spain

----

funny how the day all the Benteke to Man Utd rumours appear Liverpool trigger his clause when for the past few weeks all that was reported was that they were unwilling to meet the 32.5m price tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ERG89 wrote: »
    Villa were almost relegated last season........:rolleyes:
    They had a cup run but those two domestics cups mean sweet FA
    Neither of them are too good for were they'd be
    Villa were battling relegation last season. As bad a season as Liverpool had they were still in the hunt for 4th in early April. And that was without having a decent striker available almost the entire season.

Yeah but he is still not moving to a CL club which you would think given the fee. You can have Lacazette for £2.5m more if what their president said today is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

RasTa wrote: »
    I don't really see the point in Benteke going to Liverpool, similar to Lukaku going to Everton. Not a sideways move obviously but not a huge step up.

If Benteke joins Pool or Utd its a huge step up from Villa.

Regarding Lukaku, depends on where you see his move from, if its WBA to Everton, its a step up, if its Chelsea to Everton, its a step down.

Id consider his move WBA to Everton though as he didnt really play for Chelsea, so step up for me.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Id consider his move WBA to Everton though as he didnt really play for Chelsea, so step up for me.

either way I think Lukaku considered it a stepping stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't really see the point in Benteke going to Liverpool, similar to Lukaku going to Everton. Not a sideways move obviously but not a huge step up.

Must try harder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He did play for the U-21s, that's the thing.

Tevez played in CL games but also refused to warm up in 1 game. Similarly Valdes played in 3 games but didn't play in few games when asked to as per Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Yeah but he is still not moving to a CL club which you would think given the fee. You can have Lacazette for £2.5m more if what their president said today is true.

Isn't our aim of spending loads of money, actually to get into the CL? That's what our goal is, and considering what the teams above us (aside from Arsenal) are spending, we're spending far, far less.

I really don't want to be 'that guy' either, but United spent the guts of 150m last summer despite not being a CL team. They got there eventually, but that was down to spending the money (and even then we ran you quite close). And despite what looks like a major splurge from Liverpool again, our net spend is quite low as we've sold a lot (too many) of our top players in the past few years.

Lacazette wanted CL football this season afaik, but yeah we should've thrown the money at him as he suits our style better than Benteke imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

zerks wrote: »
    Kaboul undergoing medical at Sunderland.

Shockingly **** signing.

Not that I think he's a bad player (while he has lost pace, playing in a side constantly defending like Sunderland would probably be ideal for him) but he has had missed so many games due to injury the last few seasons.

The club will never, ever learn. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What exactly are you trying to say. Do you think it's a bad move for benteke, Liverpool or both ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Looks like you're today's winner of .... "You're that guy".
    Your prize is a shiny new whirlpool washing machine.

Tune in tomorrow for another edition, and with more fantastic prizes.

where do i get the washing machine,could do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Evans for 8million... Not sure how I feel about that.

https://twitter.com/telefootball/status/621733890575724544

Gavlor wrote: »
    Evans for 8million... Not sure how I feel about that.

Is he better than Stones or Jagielka? Nope.
    Is he worth 8m? In this market, possibly, but 8m is a lot for a 3rd choice CB for Everton.

Jagielka is aging and Stones is still more potential and rep than real quality yet so I think he will do well there and United fans should be happy as I doubt the move would happen if they were not close to signing someone (Otamendi I assume)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I think it's mental. He will just be third choice. Granted there is no real back up with Distin and Alcatraz gone but 8 million is too much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

That's really weird. When I started a FIFA career a while back as Everton, bizarrely, Johnny Evans was actually one of the first players I signed!

Now I'm left with a strange sense of déjà vu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Will Stones definitely be there come September?Martinez might start tinkering around with 3 at the back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Looks like you're today's winner of .... "You're that guy".
    Your prize is a shiny new whirlpool washing machine.

Tune in tomorrow for another edition, and with more fantastic prizes.

At the moment this was the only thread I follow in the soccer forum because I can't stand the little 13 year old b1tches you come across in those super threads but if this one turns the same I'll give up altogether

At the moment this was the only thread I follow in the soccer forum because I can't stand the little 13 year old b1tches you come across in those super threads but if this one turns the same I'll give up altogether

Better get packing so :p

Every thread is a Man Utd v Liverpool thread; it's the Godwin's law of football forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is he better than Stones or Jagielka? Nope.
    Is he worth 8m? In this market, possibly, but 8m is a lot for a 3rd choice CB for Everton.
    Yes he is better than Stones,Stones may go on to be top quality but at this time Evans is the superior player.Evans will be first choice when available.
    Jagielka will be 33 in a few weeks so needs replacing soon.2 from Jags,Evans and Stones with Evans/Stones being the long term plan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Also, Distin has moved on as well so his place in the squad needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

RaaaassssTaaasaa! How's it hanging buddy? I don't think you really believe that post now. I think both scenarios are clearly different:

- step up vs step down
    - key man vs squad cover

Still, I'd read a fraction of your post again if I was really bored.

Utd getting revenge for Moyes sending Evans to Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yes he is better than Stones,Stones may go on to be top quality but at this time Evans is the superior player.Evans will be first choice when available.
    Jagielka will be 33 in a few weeks so needs replacing soon.2 from Jags,Evans and Stones with Evans/Stones being the long term plan.

Evans better than stones? Stones is a class act and already a far superior player to Evans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    RaaaassssTaaasaa! How's it hanging buddy? I don't think you really believe that post now. I think both scenarios are clearly different:

- step up vs step down
    - key man vs squad cover

Still, I'd read a fraction of your post again if I was really bored.

Well is he really going to Liverpool to win trophies? It's a step up from Villa but not a massive one

He'd be a good fit for Arsenal imo but I guess you guys are the only ones willing to match Villa's asking price.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Evans better than stones? Stones is a class act and already a far superior player to Evans
    Anything to back up these claims that he is far superior to Evans ?

• Advertisement

Well is he really going to Liverpool to win trophies? It's a step up from Villa but not a massive one

He's coming here to win the league......the league cup, that is :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I agree, he's a real rock at the back.

*gets coat*

I've watched every game that stones played last season and seen enough of Evans in the past 5 years to know who the better player is. Why is Evans moving for 8m and it would take at least 20m to buy stones.

He'd be a good fit for Arsenal imo but I guess you guys are the only ones willing to match Villa's asking price.

That guy eh?

Nobody else wants him. Same as the the other players signed this season.

City and Chelsea don't want him so he's doing a Sterling and using Liverpool as a step to the top

I've watched every game that stones played last season and seen enough of Evans in the past 5 years to know who the better player is. Why is Evans moving for 8m and it would take at least 20m to buy stones.
    fair play ,are you a season ticket holder with Everton?
    I think its fairly obvious why Evans is going for 8m.Surplus to requirements at United and only has 1 year left on his contract.United seldom get good value for out going players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

He's probably seen both players play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Stones is a better player than Evans. Evans has regressed while Stones is ever improving. Saying that, I always liked Evans though, always thought he'd become a better player than he has. He could just never completely regularly hold down a place at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Corholio wrote: »
    Stones is a better player than Evans. Evans has regressed while Stones is ever improving. Saying that, I always liked Evans though, always thought he'd become a better player than he has. He could just never completely regularly hold down a place at the back.

Evans is the best CB on the ball currently at United, will look great in a ball playing team like Everton. Gotten a bad reputation because of last season's dodgy start but in the 12 PL games Evans played more than 45 minutes in this season just gone United conceded 5 goals and kept 7 clean sheets. Obviously all not down to him but he did a lot more than people gave him credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liam O wrote: »
    Evans is the best CB on the ball currently at United, will look great in a ball playing team like Everton. Gotten a bad reputation because of last season's dodgy start but in the 12 PL games Evans played more than 45 minutes in this season just gone United conceded 5 goals and kept 7 clean sheets. Obviously all not down to him but he did a lot more than people gave him credit for.

Evans problem is simple defending,a long high ball that 99% of defenders will head out causes him nightmares.He also has a tendency to simply give up if a player goes past him.
    Yes he's good at carrying the ball out from defence and has great vision and passing but when you can't defend properly that isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Evans is weak physically for a centre half, injury prone, never looks a senior player despite the fact that he's twenty seven, and has never really had the spine for the offside trap. Made up to be getting eight million in and seventy grand off the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Breaking on SSN: Liverpool have triggered Benteke's release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Evans is weak physically for a centre half, injury prone, never looks a senior player despite the fact that he's twenty seven, and has never really had the spine for the offside trap. Made up to be getting eight million in and seventy grand off the wage bill.

How exactly is Evans injury prone besides last season he played 20 + games a season in his United career despite being third choice behind Vidic and Ferdinand for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Because Evans is in his last year of contract, surplus to requirements and United are useless at selling players.

Where are you getting the figure of 20 million from and why are no top clubs looking at him if he is so good.

I suppose being young and English does usually double the price you are actually worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Amazed people think Stones is already better than Evans

I don't know, Evans seems to me to be the latest in a long list of Utd players that are supposedly rubbish but yet have contributed strongly on title winning sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't know, Evans seems to me to be the latest in a long list of Utd players that are supposedly rubbish but yet have contributed strongly on title winning sides.

he has been weak and error prone at times though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nuts102 wrote: »

Where are you getting the figure of 20 million from and why are no top clubs looking at him if he is so good.
    You picked a bad day to post that...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9915820/chelseas-stones-bid-rejected

So he's not World Class? Sure, I get that. Whether Stones is way better than him seems a lot less certain to me. A club like Utd can probably do better at the position but he's no mug imo.

Everton wouldn't sell him for 20m. The lad is class act. Could you see Chelsea being interested in Johnny Evans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Whether Stones is way better than him seems a lot less certain to me. A club like Utd can probably do better at the position but he's no mug imo.

I don't care about Stones really, just pointing out that (once again) we are judging a player on whether he's great or shíte - there's never a middle ground with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

More s in the last year or thereabouts. Up until then I wouldn't really have countenanced him being sold.

I don't care about Stones really, just pointing out that (once again) we are judging a player on whether he's great or shíte - there's never a middle ground with some people.

Okay, I don't know why you're arguing with me on this though!!

Few hours later..............
    Everton wouldn't sell him for 20m. The lad is class act. Could you see Chelsea being interested in Johnny Evans?

:confused: :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Few hours later..............

:confused: :pac:

I don't see your point. I said at least 20m which is what Chelsea have bid. Everton don't need to sell so there is no way they will settle for 20m

• Advertisement

I don't see your point. I said at least 20m which is what Chelsea have bid. Everton don't need to sell so there is no way they will settle for 20m

Its more the timing of it, TBH, I dont think hes worth much more then 20m but given hes young and English, if Chelsea do want him they'll end up paying about 25-30m.

However, I cant see Everton selling him even if they do sign Evans.

Advertisement