Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Evans is weak physically for a centre half, injury prone, never looks a senior player despite the fact that he's twenty seven, and has never really had the spine for the offside trap. Made up to be getting eight million in and seventy grand off the wage bill.

He looked plenty senior during the run of 14 consequtive clean sheets in 08-09, where he was near ever present. Had fine dealing of the offside trap generally during 09-12, where United were generally defensively sound and he probably started more games at cnetre half than anyone
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't know, Evans seems to me to be the latest in a long list of Utd players that are supposedly rubbish but yet have contributed strongly on title winning sides.

Exactly this. Up there with Phil Neville, Nicky Butt and Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To me Stones is still all potential. You couldn't stick him in there at a team fighting for major silverware and expect him to perform to that level every week. An English Zouma at a lower level where he is able to get the first team football he needs that Zouma isn't getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsenal paid 15m for Chambers so Stones is probably worth a little more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Okay, I don't know why you're arguing with me on this though!!

because it's friday, work is quiet and it's you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Fabian Delph has apparently been pictured at City's Medical place :confused:

Meanwhile:

Espanyol president Joan Collet: "We have reached an agreement with Real Madrid of €6m for Kiko Casilla".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

The whole Evans/Stones debate is funny. Evans is probably expected to partner Stones in the long run (provided they keep Stones) due to Jagielka's age and likely departure/retirement. They have also let Alcaraz and Distin leave so they do really need a CB. Evans is an experienced CB. Its not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Delph waving bye bye to his England career and hello to a big cheque?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

https://mobile.twitter.com/PurelyFootball/status/622015658285473794

That's the Delphi photo... Nothing to say its today or tbph that it's even Delph, non story methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ludo wrote: »

Must have thought "I can outdo Raheem Sterling for leaving a club badly".

Only the picture there again no quotes or anything and they aren't definitive using terms like it seems.

I'm still calling bull plop, show me a time stamp on the photo and I'll change my tune otherwise meh nothing to see here just last weeks pic being used to troll Villa / city fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Only the picture there again no quotes or anything and they aren't definitive using terms like it seems.

I'm still calling bull plop, show me a time stamp on the photo and I'll change my tune otherwise meh nothing to see here just last weeks pic being used to troll Villa / city fans

Well it's supposed to be originating from a reliable source. Delph will look like some eejit if this happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Quite possibly...but it is funny anyway :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

JPA wrote: »
    Delph will look like some eejit if this happens.

I'm sure his 100-whatever-k a week will make up for any eejit looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

BBC running with it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Delph must have seen Sinclairs bank balance. So you get paid for nothing? Where do I join? I'd say its like the Begovic deal. He'll collect his money for 2 - 3 years then either move and play elsewhere or just accept a career on the bench getting wealthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Might be nothing to with Delph. Villa might need/want the money and are accepting bids. If Delph doesn't feel wanted then who can blame him. All he has to say is that he was shown the door by villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Might be nothing to with Delph. Villa might need/want the money and are accepting bids. If Delph doesn't feel wanted then who can blame him. All he has to say is that he was shown the door by villa

He has a release clause.

• Advertisement

Starting to think it's all bull**** actually.

Perhaps the sale of benteke changed his mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fabian Delph has apparently been pictured at City's Medical place :confused:

Meanwhile:

Espanyol president Joan Collet: "We have reached an agreement with Real Madrid of €6m for Kiko Casilla".

Well City need someone for Sterling to chat with on the bench every week.

JPA wrote: »
    Starting to think it's all bull**** actually.

And now I think it's happening, I'm fickle.

The BBC are running it without any allegedly, reportedly, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Delph knew full well of Benteke's situation, using that as an excuse is bull****. It just would have needed a club to bid the clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd really worry or Villa, Delph and Benteke gone. Going to take some serious smart reinvestment to take them away from nailed on relegation candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Vlaar might draw his conclusions as well. Free agent since july 1st

inforfun wrote: »

Already really gone to be honest, won't be the biggest of losses either.

Vlaar is long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Okay. A current Dutch international is no loss for Aston Villa.

He has been terrible for Villa for a long time. Really hope he isn't there next year. Delph is a loss and I'm definitely heading over for the City game now. Can't wait to see the reaction he gets if this is all true.

Tbh based on last season and the wages he was on he isn't really, far too injury prone and hasn't performed like he did at the World Cup when he was fit for villa. A little telling he has been out of contract for so long (wasn't a secret his contract was ending either) without someone picking him up.

Last I heard lazio were considering him

Tbh based on last season and the wages he was on he isn't really, far too injury prone and hasn't performed like he did at the World Cup when he was fit for villa. A little telling he has been out of contract for so long (wasn't a secret his contract was ending either) without someone picking him up.

Last I heard lazio were considering him
    I read a stat that he averaged a tackle every 180 minutes last year, and it's not as if he was contributing much in other ways. The Southampton mauling was mostly him and Given. Neither will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lol at Delph, making himself out to be a hero when City had no interest and now they've made an offer and he's on his merry way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lol at Delph, making himself out to be a hero when City had no interest and now they've made an offer and he's on his merry way
    Maybe they have guaranteed him a number of starts? It would make sense for him to go in that instance.

• Advertisement

If he goes, it'll be this that has destroyed his reputation, not the simple fact that he is leaving. If Benteke goes, he will be worthy of a standing ovation every time he comes back.

Dunno why people think Delph won't get games at City. Hes essentially replacing Milner who played 30 league games in each of the last 2 seasons. Fernando/Fernandinho are no great shakes and are pretty old too

He really isn't. If you had watched him you'd know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

He wants to win titles, I don't blame him for changing his mind...again

;)

Sterling must be really excited at the prospect of this happening. Out of nowhere he's no longer the person who conducted himself the worst in getting his summer transfer. At least Sterling had the balls to admit he wanted the extra money and the chance of winning things (like most footballers would) unlike Delph who has tried to play himself off as Mr Villa until the equivalent opportunity arose.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Sterling must be really excited at the prospect of this happening. Out of nowhere he's no longer the person who conducted himself the worst in getting his summer transfer. At least Sterling had the balls to admit he wanted the extra money and the chance of winning things (like most footballers would) unlike Delph who has tried to play himself off as Mr Villa until the equivalent opportunity arose.

I doubt either care tbh.

They are multi millionaires who changed jobs and now work for a club who will challenge for trophies.

Didn't see This story here but considering there was so much Evans talk pre Delphs 2nd u turn

From the beeb:

Martinez rejects Evans link
    Football
    Posted at 16:58

PA
    Everton boss Roberto Martinez has insisted the Merseysiders are not on the brink of signing Jonny Evans from Manchester United.

The 27-year-old Northern Ireland international has been linked with the Toffees but Martinez said: "It's not true, there's nothing (in that).

"I always said I'm not going to be commenting publicly on any of the names that have been shared around but I can tell you clearly that there is nothing true in that story."

Bullet dodged by Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

AdamD wrote: »
    Dunno why people think Delph won't get games at City. Hes essentially replacing Milner who played 30 league games in each of the last 2 seasons. Fernando/Fernandinho are no great shakes and are pretty old too

It's not so much who City have at the moment, it's who they'll probably end up buying. If they're in for Pogba or De Bruyne like they're reputed to be, then Delph will be way down the pecking order.

Milner was also forced to play out of position and a lot of his appearances were because of injuries, especially when he played up front for a few games.

I don't think Delph cares about appearances anyway. He doesn't seem to care about his public reputation, so I think he'll have no problem making sub appearances and collecting his very large paycheck.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I doubt either care tbh.

They are multi millionaires who changed jobs and now work for a club who will challenge for trophies.

I don't buy that anyone likes being a hate figure who will get abuse when out with their family and the likes. We all have a really strong need to be liked and accepted by society. Well, most people.

I'm not saying being a multi-millionaire doesn't make up for that but I'd say it's slightly better to be one of those many multi-millionaire footballers who aren't hate figures, personally.

I don't think Delph cares about appearances anyway. He doesn't seem to care about his public reputation

On the contrary, he seems obsessed with it. He was determined that if he wasn't going to be moving from Villa, he was going to come out of it a hero. He did it when signing the contract, when the tiny release clause got no mention, and he did it again last week. He is not a Nasri, Sterling character who do not seem to care how they are viewed at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

"I always said I'm not going to be commenting publicly on any of the names that have been shared around but I can tell you clearly that there is nothing true in that story."

:pac:

CSF wrote: »
    On the contrary, he seems obsessed with it. He was determined that if he wasn't going to be moving from Villa, he was going to come out of it a hero. He did it when signing the contract, when the tiny release clause got no mention, and he did it again last week. He is not a Nasri, Sterling character who do not seem to care how they are viewed at all

But surely he'd look at the situation and think 'I'm going to look like a right d*ckhead if I make a u-turn like this', no?

He might come out and say that Benteke's departure was a factor, or Sherwood/ Chairman promised him something they couldn't deliver, but then people would say 'why didn't you explain that you staying was contingent on something'.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but as a football fan, he looks like a right clown coming out of this and deserves any abuse he'll get from Villa fans next season.

But surely he'd look at the situation and think 'I'm going to look like a right d*ckhead if I make a u-turn like this', no?

He might come out and say that Benteke's departure was a factor, or Sherwood/ Chairman promised him something they couldn't deliver, but then people would say 'why didn't you explain that you staying was contingent on something'.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but as a football fan, he looks like a right clown coming out of this and deserves any abuse he'll get from Villa fans next season.

I'm guessing he wasn't expecting it to happen, and wanted to look the hero. Now that it's happening it's too good to turn down. Like it would have been in the first place.

Villa fans better get the pitchforks ready for the City game...

https://twitter.com/MCFC/status/622095965118443520

• Advertisement
Advertisement