Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

yabadabado wrote: »
    How did you do at the last world cup ?

Well........ wouldnt put it past "Eh i dunno" having done better than Luiz at that WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

inforfun wrote: »
    Well........ wouldnt put it past "Eh i dunno" having done better than Luiz at that WC.

Wouldn't surprise me.He is a better defender after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Newcastle sign Mitrovic for a fee of 13m.

Aleksandar-Mitrovic.jpg

Only Harry Kane scored more goals for players U21 in all of Europe last year.

Mike Ashley doesn't spend any money though! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Two potentially great signings for Newcastle with Mitrovic and Wijnaldum, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In fairness to Luiz, once the Sports Bible and Paddy Power start having a go at you, you're finished with some people. If you are blind to Luiz's qualities, there is something wrong with you. He is prone to some howlers and therefore does not belong in the elite by any means but comfortably better than someone like Stones who remains all potential for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    In fairness to Luiz, once the Sports Bible and Paddy Power start having a go at you, you're finished with some people. If you are blind to Luiz's qualities, there is something wrong with you. He is prone to some howlers and therefore does not belong in the elite by any means but comfortably better than someone like Stones who remains all potential for now.

He's a talented footballer, but he doesn't cut it as a very good centre back or a centre midfielder. It's not just howlers though, he has an unreal ability to just switch off when marking, it's not as blatant as a miskick or an own goal but almost equally as bad. Stones is a bit more than potential though, he's been a very good performer for an entire season. I'd be more confident with Stones starting on a regular basis over the course of a season. Saying all that though, going to Chelsea would be a mistake. Just playing football regularly will make him better and better.

Corholio wrote: »
    He's a talented footballer, but he doesn't cut it as a very good centre back or a centre midfielder. It's not just howlers though, he has an unreal ability to just switch off when marking, it's not as blatant as a miskick or an own goal but almost equally as bad. Stones is a bit more than potential though, he's been a very good performer for an entire season. I'd be more confident with Stones starting on a regular basis over the course of a season. Saying all that though, going to Chelsea would be a mistake. Just playing football regularly will make him better and better.
    His flaws have been massively overstated at this stage. Don't take this as me denying they exist because they do, but they are massively overstated. Stones is a safer bet but for an elite level, Luiz is far superior at most things. His concentration level does let him down sometimes, which is why the really good centre backs are all better than him, but Stones is not that. He is a player with potential who wouldn't currently be able to go to Chelsea, United, City or Arsenal and be the guy. He should stay at Everton and attempt to be the guy (it isn't that easy) and if he becomes that he'll probably be better than Luiz, but there is no guarantee that Stones is going to go that way. Potential goes frequently unfulfilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Looks like Szczesny could be off on loan to Roma for the year. Really good move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Looks like Szczesny could be off on loan to Roma for the year. Really good move for him.

How? De Sanctis is a better keeper so he'll likely be on the bench there too.

• Advertisement

How? De Sanctis is a better keeper so he'll likely be on the bench there too.

I'm not Szczesny's biggest fan but Id definitely take him over De Sanctis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If he goes to Roma it won't be as second choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Newcastle sign Mitrovic for a fee of 13m.

Aleksandar-Mitrovic.jpg

Only Harry Kane scored more goals for players U21 in all of Europe last year.

Marvelous signing from Newcastle. Looks like i know who im picking in FM 2016....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Have arsenal been linked with anyone reliably? I've seen links to benzema the odd time on Twitter but can't ever imagine that happening, think they should be pushing on again this season and just bringing in Cech won't really make that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

klose wrote: »
    Have arsenal been linked with anyone reliably? I've seen links to benzema the odd time on Twitter but can't ever imagine that happening, think they should be pushing on again this season and just bringing in Cech won't really make that happen.

Chec will add them about another 12 points anyway id say which is fairly good. They need another strong midfielder and another striker.

klose wrote: »

It seems to be Benzema or bust which will surely end in disaster. Neglecting the DM position again as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

CSF wrote: »

I just can't believe he is still played at centre back. He's a terrible marker and gets lost too easy. Think he played his best football for Chelsea in midfield and has all the attributes to be a success there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Two great signings from Newcastle with Mitrovic and Wijnaldum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Stones' age and lack of tv time obviously has people fooled into thinking he is just "potential". If anyone watched him regularly for Everton last season they wouldn't be saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Patrick Bamford joins Crystal Palace on season long loan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33616667

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It would be a fantastic move for stones, to learn from the best cb of the last decade and then carry the torch, probably too good to turn down.

As we found out at Liverpool with sterling, once one the top 4 make their interest known its only a matter of time before it happens so the club needs to grab as much cash as possible.

I think with all the variables it will take closer to £35m to tempt Everton to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's funny that most on here wouldn't have bat an eyelid if Barkley had been sold for 35 million last summer yet almost everyone thinks it's way over the odds for stones.

Ask any evertonian and (once we stop talking about how heysel stopped us from turning into a European super force ;) )they'll tell you that stones is by far a better player.

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's funny that most on here wouldn't have bat an eyelid if Barkley had been sold for 35 million last summer yet almost everyone thinks it's way over the odds for stones.

Ask any evertonian and (once we stop talking about how heysel stopped us from turning into a European super force ;) )they'll tell you that stones is by far a better player.

I think the Barkley one is a good example how things can change quickly. In hindsight 30m plus for him world have been great business for Everton tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think the Barkley one is a good example how things can change quickly. In hindsight 30m plus for him world have been great business for Everton tbh

Agreed, but stones has had a much better and much more consistent 14/15 than barkelys "breakthrough/hype" season in 13/14 so my point still stands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

rarnes1 wrote: »

It's too early to tell if that's the case though.

Ranchu wrote: »
    It's too early to tell if that's the case though.

Yeah,that's true too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think the majority would have thought that was a crazy price as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FF 12 months.
    Patrick Bamford joins Crystal Palace on after a succesful season long loan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33616667

Meanwhile who is the mystery striker Leyland Van Drive is promising to sign?

Muller, Gotze, Reus, Ibra, Higuain, Ronaldo, Bale....can't be Llorente can it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

FF 12 months.

Meanwhile who is the mystery striker Leyland Van Drive is promising to sign?

Muller, Gotze, Reus, Ibra, Higuain, Ronaldo, Bale....can't be Llorente can it?

I heard Ricky Lambert's looking for a way out of Liverpool! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Agreed, but stones has had a much better and much more consistent 14/15 than barkelys "breakthrough/hype" season in 13/14 so my point still stands!

Everton were pretty bad at the back last season tbh & he was quite poor at the U21's too but England had some reason for being rubbish in that again was it Southgate or something I forget :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Mundo Deportivo's cover features news about Wenger's interest in Barcelona midfielder Sergi Samper. His buyout is €12 million.
    Samper is Barcelona to the core, he's been at the club since he was 6 and he is a phenomenal prospect. He'd slot in perfectly at Arsenal under Wenger whose noted to have had an interest in the player for a few years now.
    If you're Barcelona and your burning your youth development system to the ground then I suppose might as well go all the way and sell one of the brightest prospects the club has produced this millennium.

• Advertisement

Is Samper capable of starting right away AIG?

Is Samper capable of starting right away AIG?

Honestly he's more than capable. His passing range is terrific, he's composed beyond belief on the ball and he's getting better all the time defensively. He'd probably be a starter already at Barcelona were it not for a combination of Busquets and the high amount of managerial changes plus a board that does not place priority on the advancement of their youth players into the first team.
    He'd comfortably start for Liverpool, Everton or Spurs, I think Wenger would find a place for him too in the starting lineup, he's pretty special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Samper is quality. High quality. Cannot see them letting him go.

The guy has busquets position written all over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Good mates with Bellerin... be nice to nick one off FCB again. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

City landing De Bruyne and Pogba is starting to grow legs, particularly over night with Pogba.

Mansour want to win the CL, it's as important to the club as the long term progression plan from EDC to first team.

Learnt the hard way over the last few summer windows about signing world beaters Isco comes to mind.

Pogba will be a city player before start of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

theballz wrote: »
    City landing De Bruyne and Pogba is starting to grow legs, particularly over night with Pogba.

Mansour want to win the CL, it's as important to the club as the long term progression plan from EDC to first team.

Learnt the hard way over the last few summer windows about signing world beaters Isco comes to mind.

That's funny, I heard last night Juventus had accepted a bid from Barca to buy him and he'd go back to Juve for a one year loan before joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Where you see this?Pogba odds where 4/5 and now 5/2 with skybet so looks less unlikely as the days go by.

Hope City sign all the CMs so Delph rots on the bench

Turtwig wrote: »
    Samper is quality. High quality. Cannot see them letting him go.

The guy has busquets position written all over him.

Anyone who caught Barcelona's pre season friendly against LA Galaxy last night got a nice exhibition of what he can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Last I heard he had rejected City and was on his way to Barca but not until next Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Haha Pogba and De Bruyne. Be hilarious to see Sterling and Delph get that reality check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Where you see this?Pogba odds where 4/5 and now 5/2 with skybet so looks less unlikely as the days go by.

Reports on Bluemoon forum that talks are pushing forward as Sheikh Mansour is personally very keen to sign him aswell as De Bruyne.

Dzeko likely to go to Juve as part of deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

West Ham have signed Manuel Lanzini on loan.

Don't know who he is, only posting it because the BBC update page had this on it:
    The 22-year-old came through the same River Plate youth system that produced the likes of Alfredo Di Stefano and is nicknamed "The Jewel".

Anybody else think this is a weird thing to mention? Sure, River Plate developed Di Stefano but that was over 70 years ago. I really doubt it's the same youth system that produced him. The coaches have died and the system has been upgraded (you'd hope) and if it hasn't been upgraded, well, it's not exactly a badge of honour that a youth system is stuck in the 1940's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Haha Pogba and De Bruyne. Be hilarious to see Sterling and Delph get that reality check.

Either way Sterling will start..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Very nice of Barca to let all these wonderkids go :pac:

Munir, Halilovic, Montoya, Samper among others are all future stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Reports on Bluemoon forum that talks are pushing forward as Sheikh Mansour is personally very keen to sign him aswell as De Bruyne.

Dzeko likely to go to Juve as part of deal.

There's absolutely no way that's going to happen. Juve have Morata, Dybala, Mandzukic, Zaza, Llorente and Coman to play up front.

I don't think Pogba will be sold this summer, but we'll wait and see. Everything Marotta has said has indicated he's not for sale. He supposedly rejected Barca's bids earlier in the summer. The only thing that could force a move is if Pogba demands to leave. I can't see that happening for City when it didn't for Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

No chance Pogba is going to City this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Draxler to Juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Draxler to Juventus

Either him or Goetze. Draxler is looking more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Watford sign Jurado from Spartak and Britos from Napoli. Building a pretty good squad there now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement