Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Britos is terrible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/623945401188642816

Benteke to Pool confirmed.

Genuinely think it's a great buy, and will be very interested to see how he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Lord TSC wrote: »

Genuinely think it's a great buy, and will be very interested to see how he does.

Agreed. I think the skeptics haven't a clue how good he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lord TSC wrote: »

Fair play to him signing whilst in the middle of painting his ceilings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

FC Bayern English ‏@FCBayernEN 9m9 minutes ago
    .@kingarturo23 - Rummenigge confirms an agreement has been reached with Juventus and the player. More soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Fair play to him signing whilst in the middle of painting his ceilings.

e12fb54f84aad6b081688d02e0f9b1bc.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Boro hoping to sign Jordon Rhodes for 14m lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Benteke is a god player but i cant help but feel he wont do well in a Rodgers team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

sky88 wrote: »
    Benteke is a god player but i cant help but feel he wont do well in a Rodgers team.

He is a good mid table player who likes direct quick play, I'm sure he will score for Liverpool but not sure Rogers style of keeping the ball at all costs will suit him that well

Villain wrote: »
    He is a good mid table player who likes direct quick play, I'm sure he will score for Liverpool but not sure Rogers style of keeping the ball at all costs will suit him that well

Keeping the ball at all costs was 3 seasons ago in Rodgers first year.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Keeping the ball at all costs was 3 seasons ago in Rodgers first year.

Stats show 55% average possession for 12/13 and 54% for 13/14 and 52% 14/15 so a drop but not a huge drop.

I didn't watch that many pool games last year but the ones I did see didn't look like a lot of direct play.

Benteke is good player just not sure he is what Liverpool need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Stats show 55% average possession for 12/13 and 54% for 13/14 and 52% 14/15 so a drop but not a huge drop.

I didn't watch that many pool games last year but the ones I did see didn't look like a lot of direct play.

Benteke is good player just not sure he is what Liverpool need.

There wasn't any real style from us last season due to playing with a sicknote, 2 static strikers like Balotelli and Lambert and a headless chicken Borini running around.

Rodgers will have torn up the playbook and burned it this season, you will see a much more direct style this season, but not launching balls from deep onto Benteke's head.

rob316 wrote: »
    There wasn't any real style from us last season due to playing with a sicknote, 2 static strikers like Balotelli and Lambert and a headless chicken Borini running around.

Rodgers will have torn up the playbook and burned it this season, you will see a much more direct style this season, but not launching balls from deep onto Benteke's head.

He will make the long ball stick when played into him or win headers for someone to feed off but for scoring he likes quick direct ball, will be interesting to see how they utilize him, if Milner is playing wide he could certainly deliver the kind of ball Benteke likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

West Ham have signed Manuel Lanzini on loan.

Don't know who he is, only posting it because the BBC update page had this on it:

Anybody else think this is a weird thing to mention? Sure, River Plate developed Di Stefano but that was over 70 years ago. I really doubt it's the same youth system that produced him. The coaches have died and the system has been upgraded (you'd hope) and if it hasn't been upgraded, well, it's not exactly a badge of honour that a youth system is stuck in the 1940's.

Wonder why they mentioned di Stefano when I'm pretty sure more people would remember Crespo who I think was a product of their youth academy. Certainly got his debut with them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Benteke is a great signing for liverpool, they'll create plenty of chances for him and he'll give an outlet that has been missing (think Ricky lambert with pace, skill and ability).

It would make me wonder about sturridge though, are they writing him off a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Liverpool were incredibly quick and direct 2 seasons ago when they nearly won the league. Arsing about on the ball wasn't the aim at all.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Liverpool were incredibly quick and direct 2 seasons ago when they nearly won the league. Arsing about on the ball wasn't the aim at all.

The aim of the last 2 seasons has been get the ball to the forwards as quick as possible, only they were bone useless last season.

Any striker that keeps company with these names, I'm extremely excited to see what he can do at Liverpool.

2015%2f7%2f2015_7_Tke-Top-Image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Top 7 (CL and EL) last season, main transfers so far

Chelsea - 2 (Begović, Falcao) and maybe Traore (will he be loaned?)
    Man City - 2 (Delph, Sterling)
    Arsenal - 1 (Čech)
    Man Utd - 4 (Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Depay, Darmian)
    Spurs - 3 (Alderweireld, Wimmer, Trippier)
    Liverpool - 6 (Clyne, Benteke, Milner, Firmino, Ings, Gomez, Bogdán)
    Soton - 5 (Clasie, Martina, Soares, Juanmi, Stekelenburg)

• Advertisement

Why... Why making a list like that.....?
    You know what is going to happen now, right?
    :D

Btw, if that is the Traore who was on loan at Vitesse last season, he ll should be loaned out again.
    Looked good but will not get much time on the pitch at Chelsea (yet?)

inforfun wrote: »

Wenger complains about United not giving young players a chance yet buys the oldest guy on that list??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Btw, if that is the Traore who was on loan at Vitesse last season, he ll should be loaned out again.
    Looked good but will not get much time on the pitch at Chelsea (yet?)

I just thought it would be handy for people to see all the arrivals in one place. Will update as more transfers happen. If I'd wanted an argument I'd have included the estimated net spend ;)

zerks wrote: »

£50m he will cost, City really taking advantage of the easing of FFP.

Brilliant player, its a lot but after the season he just had and the fact VW/Wolfsburg have no need to sell, its about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

zerks wrote: »
    Wenger complains about United not giving young players a chance yet buys the oldest guy on that list??
    You'd have a valid point if Wenger wasn't giving youth a chance.

He is, so you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You'd have a valid point if Wenger wasn't giving youth a chance.

He is, so you don't.

And Wenger also doesn't as ManUtd played many youngsters last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

lol Wenger gave an interview yesterday saying Arsenal are like United and Barcelona in that they do give youth a chance. Where are you getting this complaint from?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

AdamD wrote: »
    lol Wenger gave an interview yesterday saying Arsenal are like United and Barcelona in that they do give youth a chance. Where are you getting this complaint from?

Sadly the clickbait headlines seem to be getting more focus than the actual content of his interview. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Top 7 (CL and EL) last season, main transfers so far

Chelsea - 2 (Begović, Falcao) and maybe Traore (will he be loaned?)
    Man City - 2 (Delph, Sterling)
    Arsenal - 1 (Čech)
    Man Utd - 4 (Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Depay, Darmian)
    Spurs - 3 (Alderweireld, Wimmer, Trippier)
    Liverpool - 6 (Clyne, Benteke, Milner, Firmino, Ings, Gomez, Bogdán)
    Soton - 5 (Clasie, Martina, Soares, Juanmi, Stekelenburg)

Thanks for the summary. Re the players Southampton have signed, would any one tip any of them to make a big impact next season? Do you think they've bought well? I'm just curious TBH and I can openly admit I have a limited knowledge when it comes to a lot of players!

Thanks for the summary. Re the players Southampton have signed, would any one tip any of them to make a big impact next season? Do you think they've bought well? I'm just curious TBH and I can openly admit I have a limited knowledge when it comes to a lot of players!

Clasie is replacing Schneiderlin and will be one of the first on the team sheet if does what he can do.

Martina, not more than back up for central defense

Stekelenburg will play till Forster is fit i reckon and then it will be a matter of how good Stekelenburg performed whether he keeps his spot or not.

Soares is direct replacement for Clyne

Last season it looked like they had a lot of players for the left in midfield/attack and not much for the right. That is why Juamni came in i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Clasie is replacing Schneiderlin and will be one of the first on the team sheet if does what he can do.

Martina, not more than back up for central defense

Stekelenburg will play till Forster is fit i reckon and then it will be a matter of how good Stekelenburg performed whether he keeps his spot or not.

Soares is direct replacement for Clyne

Last season it looked like they had a lot of players for the left in midfield/attack and not much for the right. That is why Juamni came in i suppose

Martino is more so understurdy to Soares I'd imagine? Maya and Fonte are backed up by Gardos & McCarthy

Martino is more so understurdy to Soares I'd imagine? Maya and Fonte are backed up by Gardos & McCarthy

Played in central defense for Twente last season. Last few matches in any case.
    But he might be ok for right back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Chelsea - 2 (Begović, Falcao) and maybe Traore (will he be loaned?) Man City - 2 (Delph, Sterling) Arsenal - 1 (Čech) Man Utd - 4 (Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Depay, Darmian) Spurs - 3 (Alderweireld, Wimmer, Trippier) Liverpool - 6 (Clyne, Benteke, Milner, Firmino, Ings, Gomez, Bogdán) Soton - 5 (Clasie, Martina, Soares, Juanmi, Stekelenburg)

Spurs have signed delle alli too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Spurs have signed delle alli too

In January

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

CSF wrote:
    In January

Only joined the squad this summer though so thought he'd be more suitable to be added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Played in central defense for Twente last season. Last few matches in any case.
    But he might be ok for right back as well.

Most likely CB atm. Koeman will probably try to sign a defender. Gardos is out for around 7 months.

Most likely CB atm. Koeman will probably try to sign a defender. Gardos is out for around 7 months.

Martina was probably picked up with a "why the hell not" thought behind it.
    Will probably get his matches in the league cup, EL when Southampton has nothing to play for, that kind of matches.
    Costed peanuts since Twente has to sell everything they can sell.

Koeman indeed was saying on Dutch tv this week he is still looking for a central defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Chancel Mbemba to Newcastle for £8m, per The Mirror. 3 excellent additions for them so far. That's £73.4m spent in the last 2 seasons with over a month left in this window. If I hear one more Newcastle fan say Ashley won't spend any money.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Is Mbemba the guy who seems to have a load of different recorded ages? Think I've heard between 20 and 26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Corholio wrote: »
    Is Mbemba the guy who seems to have a load of different recorded ages? Think I've heard between 20 and 26.

Yeah FIFA have launched an investigation into his age, theres no way hes 20. When he was registered with congo his DOB was 1988, when he signed for anderlecht it was 1995 apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He was bone tested by Anderlecht. He's 20.

4 birthdays he has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Moneymaker wrote: »
    That won't stop the casual racists on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

WTF?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

33vcd3t.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

When is a white player's age ever questioned?

(I'm guessing that's his point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm not having that Danny Ings turned 23 yesterday anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Falcao!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Moneymaker wrote: »

He was what?! Is that like chopping off the bone and counting the rings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

How is it a race issue? In any way at all? Nobody is questioning his ethnicity.....they are questioning his age because there are oddities in the paperwork.

Advertisement