Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bone test's can't tell someone's exact age anyway, just an estimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We had the same crack with obafemi martins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

#racialequality

oh wait this isnt AH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sure Tony Yeboah was 32 going on 48 at Leeds was he.

Rodger Milla ... scored a few the world cup and picked up his pension on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Di Maria off to PSG for £46.5m. A loss of over £13m after one season.

I was just looking at Transfer League and United's spending over the last year has been a bit ridiculous. Over £220m since van Gaal was appointed. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Paully D wrote: »

I was just looking at Transfer League and United's spending over the last year has been a bit ridiculous. Over £220m since van Gaal was appointed. :eek:
    The loss is pretty minimal given United's income. Losing the stretch of play that Di Maria could bring is far bigger. Looks bad on Van Gaal too, that he couldn't get a tune out of him. He wrecked his confidence. There are supporters in our thread happy with this deal, and plenty of United fans in general the same which I find unbelievable. How someone could look at United's play last year and want to get pace OUT of the team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

be careful, they didnt like it when chelsea won the title by spending money. dont let them hear you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Glad Di Maria is getting a chance again. He should do very well at PSG. Delighted for him. He was never going to perform well at United.

Most expensive flop in history surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Glad Di Maria is getting a chance again. He should do very well at PSG. Delighted for him. He was never going to perform well at United.

Why not?
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Most expensive flop in history surely

They're getting 46 million back so doesn't matter too much.
    Lamela is the biggest ever flop IMO.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Why not?

They're getting 46 million back so doesn't matter too much.
    Lamela is the biggest ever flop IMO.

Was never going to fit into that United team if I am honest. Was expected to be a CM. He'd do a decent shift at somewhere like City, maybe even Arsenal but not at United. Not an EPL type player anyway. Called it here and all:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91907111&postcount=1831

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Given United probably paid his fee in € I don't see how you can call it a 13m loss given the difference in the currency compared to last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Liam O wrote: »
    Given United probably paid his fee in € I don't see how you can call it a 13m loss given the difference in the currency compared to last year.

If Utd paid the full amount then £59m left their UK account. If they receive £46m form PSG then they've lost 13m. It doesn't really matter what the difference in the exchange rate is seeing as UK based Utd do all their dealing in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Liam O wrote: »

I thought it was reported as £59.6 million at the time, so not in euro. Either way it's not a significant monetary loss for united imo. I'd be more disappointed in his performances than his depreciation in value if I was a utd fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads some how I doubt the money men at United will mix up euros and pounds! They are multi billion pound company's if felas in this thread think they are smarter then the executives who operate theses company's then I'm certain that 99.999999% of us are not!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads some how I doubt the money men at United will mix up euros and pounds! They are multi billion pound company's if felas in this thread think they are smarter then the executives who operate theses company's then I'm certain that 99.999999% of us are not!

Yeah but in terms of the case for biggest flop which is massive on Internet forums, every cent matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Biggest flop? 59 million for a player who ripped up the CL and World Cup the season previous

35 million for Andy Carroll

Biggest flop? 59 million for a player who ripped up the CL and World Cup the season previous

If anything that'd make Di Maria more of a flop wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nope, started the season well but the house break in and then Youngs good form just prevented him getting any rhythm back. And now getting 45 million for him

Most expensive flop hands down.

• Advertisement

Any all money aside he's probably the biggest flop. You'd have to go back to maybe Shevchenko to have a comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you go from being considered one of the top 5 players in the world this time last year to having Ashley Young keeping you out of a team six months later you flopped.

Sometimes moves just don't work out and there is nothing wrong with that but in just football terms at any price he flopped at Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Rayne in shock your flops are worse than our flops post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Andy Caroll paid=£35m, sold=£17m. Much more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The usual suspects starting the United v Liverpool crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nope, started the season well but the house break in and then Youngs good form just prevented him getting any rhythm back. And now getting 45 million for him

Ashley Young should not be stopping a £60m player from getting back into a team.
    glued wrote: »
    The usual suspects starting the United v Liverpool crap.

It's discussing two big flops. I hate it as much as anyone else, but this isn't United v Liverpool. Unless you want to make it that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Ashley Young should not be stopping a £60m player from getting back into a team.

Ashley Young was very good last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

£280,000 a week.

Di Maria is top of the flops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

There are bigger, more expensive PL flops, shevchenko and Torres(at chelsea) come to mind as well as Robinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

It's discussing two big flops. I hate it as much as anyone else, but this isn't United v Liverpool. Unless you want to make it that.

When its United and Liverpool fans talking about it its fairly obvious whats going on.

Basically Di Maria started the season really well between the robbery and injurys he lost his place in the team and his mindset obviously wasnt right.

I think Van Gaal and it being his first season in charge and all the changes that where being made threw out the season didnt help either.

Really when you look at it 4 goals and 10 assists in 20 odd games in your first season with so many distractions going on would be a very good season for any player but between the price tag and the season he had before people are bound to rubbish his time at United.

You would have to think if the deal does go threw its more then likely Di Maria looking for a way out and not the club wanting to get rid unless of course Van Gaal sees something he doesnt like which is not exactly surprising for him!.

zarquon wrote: »
    Andy Caroll paid=£35m, sold=£17m. Much more expensive

Ok the most expensive player bought to flop.

Refreshing to see that throwing money at players doesn't always pay dividends.

Not that it will stop English clubs losing the run of themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

£280,000 a week.

Di Maria is top of the flops.

If the 280k/week is indeed true (quite likely as the Guardian are a solid paper) then that probably swings it in terms of him being the biggest flop. Transfer money aside, he was costing United well over a million a month; and about £14.5m for the past year. If United were paying him that much for those performances they seriously f*cked up on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Zlatan at Barca must be up there for biggest flop.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Zlatan at Barca must be up there for biggest flop.

ya this 40 something million plus eto was insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

inforfun wrote: »
    4 birthdays he has

Newcastle are going to need a full time employee just to keep an eye on that and make sure they dont forget a cake.

• Advertisement

ya this 40 something million plus eto was insane

It was especially insane considering how bloody good Eto was and how well he did at Inter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ok the most expensive player bought to flop.

Refreshing to see that throwing money at players doesn't always pay dividends.

Not that it will stop English clubs losing the run of themselves

I thought that was already proven long back with Liverpool spending more than ManUtd in PL era and not winning it even once :pac:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-1992-to-date/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-1992-to-date

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I thought that was already proven long back with Liverpool spending more than ManUtd in PL era and not winning it even once :pac:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-1992-to-date/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-1992-to-date

Well done on being that guy!

Why bring Liverpool v Man Utd into it

Why stop at 92? The Premier league era, where football began..

It was especially insane considering how bloody good Eto was and how well he did at Inter.

could easily be argued eto was a better player he was scoring some amazing goals at that time there was no sign of a downturn it was just barca wanted to make a front page signing i think that was the worst deal and i dont think its close

The PL era, where football began eh. Why stop at 92?

Hipster thing to say "that guy" nonsense.

Just like you, I was proving big money doesn't mean success. There is nothing Liverpool vs ManUtd in it.

Oh why stop at 92? Because I found records till there, why don't do you take it from 92 to wherever you want? Oh wait, specifically at 92 because that's when Premier League was restructured.
    could easily be argued eto was a better player he was scoring some amazing goals at that time there was no sign of a downturn it was just barca wanted to make a front page signing i think that was the worst deal and i dont think its close

IIRC Pep wanted to offload Eto'o before their treble season but he couldn't.

• Advertisement

do you remember why though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Eto was " disruptive" i thought it was he was unwilling to do the work.

Just like you, I was proving big money doesn't mean success. There is nothing Liverpool vs ManUtd in it.

Oh why stop at 92? Because I found records till there, why don't do you take it from 92 to wherever you want? .

We were talking about a player from last season and then you throw in figures that didn't even include last season. Bizarre.

No thanks as that would be just silly and make no sense to the thread.

do you remember why though?

Mass clearout with players like Ronaldinho, Deco sold. something about Dressing room disruptive
    "All of the players in the first-team squad last season are of a very high level," he said. "But with the technical secretary [Txiki Begiristain] we are forming a squad and Deco, Ronaldinho and Eto'o are not in our minds."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jun/18/laligafootball.barcelona

We were talking about a player from last season and then you throw in figures that didn't even include last season. Bizarre.

No thanks as that would be just silly and make no sense to the thread.

No. You said throwing money doesn't guarantee success, I agreed with it and made the point even stronger with better example and much bigger sample.

It doesn't include last season? I don't know, it says till date.

No. You said throwing money doesn't guarantee success, I agreed with it and made the point even stronger with better example and much bigger sample.

Throwing big money at marquee signings doesn't mean success. The debate was over the expensive signing Di Maria.

It's refreshing to see. Not nice when it's a club we support obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Oh why stop at 92? Because I found records till there, why don't do you take it from 92 to wherever you want? Oh wait, specifically at 92 because that's when Premier League was restructured.

But you absolutely ARE being THAT guy. 'There is nothing Liverpool vs ManUtd in it'. Yet those are the 2 teams you randomly decided to compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Depends on what date you're reading it on. :)
    Says 13/14 on the table itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Why stop at 92? The Premier league era, where football began..

Glorious.

CSF wrote: »
    But you absolutely ARE being THAT guy. 'There is nothing Liverpool vs ManUtd in it'. Yet those are the 2 teams you randomly decided to compare.

It's not random. Just that you are incapable of seeing beyond "Liverpool vs Manutd" thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement