Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Lumbo wrote: »
    McCarty had 3 years left on his contract. He wasn't going anywhere.

All I'm saying is, long term contracts mean nothing in football anymore.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Mccarthy signs new 5 year deal should end speculation about his future.

Was there anyone in for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Wilberto wrote: »
    Is this not all a bit trivial given that he's not exactly going to competing for a first team place (one would assume) and will more than likely either play for the talented youths they have (so they can try and get revenge on Chelsea), or be farmed out on loan (probably the former).

I mean, if we're talking City strikers, sure you might as well throw in the young lad they signed from Turkey also. Unal or something. He probably has just about as much chance of playing as Roberts! :D :pac:

He's gone on loan already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Wilberto wrote: »
    All I'm saying is, long term contracts mean nothing in football anymore.

That maybe so but Kenwright reportedly refuses to put buy out clauses in any contracts since the Fellaini nonsense and has had all Evertons key players sign new deals. This allows him to price his players so high most suitors give up. Baines, Coleman, McCarthy and most likely Stones being examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Was there anyone in for him?

Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He's gone on loan already.

Where? Can't find anything about it online

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Where? Can't find anything about it online

He's gone to Genk for the season

He's gone to Genk for the season

Don't think that's roberts you're thinking of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Nope Unal gone to Genk

Yep Unal. The poster I initially quoted said Unal could get more game time than Roberts but he's already on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Yeah he was replying to me after I brought up Unal as another City forward. I hadn't realised he'd been sent on loan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Where does this idea that Real Madrid need to sell Benzema to buy De Gea come from? They haven't made any big money signings apart from a right back Danilo

Where does this idea that Real Madrid need to sell Benzema to buy De Gea come from? They haven't made any big money signings apart from a right back Danilo

Because, clearly, De Gea is going to take Benzema's place in the team. Duh!! :P

I can see it now, David De Gea claiming the Pichichi with 48 goals! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They're skint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The bid has been rejected. Augsburg want thirty million euro. Rahman has already agreed personal terms with Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The bid has been rejected. Augsburg want thirty million euro. Rahman has already agreed personal terms with Chelsea.

fup that, go after Ricardo Rodriguez instead

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

fup that, go after Ricardo Rodriguez instead

He's pretty ineffective unless you also sign Alberto Del Rio though...

tried to resist, I swear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Beefy78 wrote: »
    They're skint.

They're the biggest revenue making in football according to Forbes. They make more money than any English club including Man United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

They're the biggest revenue making in football according to Forbes. They make more money than any English club including Man United

That's very good, but it's eff all use if their expenditure exceeds their revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

LiamoSail wrote: »
    That's very good, but it's eff all use if their expenditure exceeds their revenue

How do you know their expenditure exceeds their revenue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Milan have apparently signed Romagnoli for €30m. Desperately need that transfer to work considering their terrible options in that position (Alex, Mexes, Palleta).
    A lot of money for potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

How do you know their expenditure exceeds their revenue?

I haven't a notion what either their revenue or expenditure is. My point is that a high revenue doesn't preclude them from being 'skint' as the previous post had claimed them to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

LiamoSail wrote: »

It doesn't.

They have debt, but debt means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Gavlor wrote: »

Christ what a fall from grace. I remember him at Basel looking like a top player and fully expected him to break through at Bayern, even with the personnel they already had. Even at the WC 2014 he looked very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Christ what a fall from grace. I remember him at Basel looking like a top player and fully expected him to break through at Bayern, even with the personnel they already had. Even at the WC 2014 he looked very good.

I think he still has the makings of a top player

Didn't get a shot at Bayern because he couldn't dislodge Ribery or Robben, no shame in that

Didn't fit in with Inter's system, they didn't play with traditional wingers and shoehorned Shaqiri into an attacking midfield role

Don't be surprised to see him move to a big time club in a years time for 30+ million

I think he still has the makings of a top player

Didn't get a shot at Bayern because he couldn't dislodge Ribery or Robben, no shame in that

Didn't fit in with Inter's system, they didn't play with traditional wingers and shoehorned Shaqiri into an attacking midfield role

Don't be surprised to see him move to a big time club in a years time for 30+ million

Exactly, I doubt Stoke would mind letting him go after a season for close to twice what they paid for him, only 23, still a few years till he reaches his peak. If he impresses he'll move up the ranks, probably to another prem team. I don't know how willing he is to go to Stoke, but I see it as a very brave move and I'd admire him for that if he does go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sensational signing for Stoke to be honest. Hughes does it again.

In other news I see West Brom are about to sign Rondon for £15m.

It makes me sick seeing clubs at the same level as my own really pushing on and showing ambition while we are desperate for quality and sitting back looking in awe at these signings. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ha you'd never think Charlie Adam, Jon Walters and Shawcross would be in the same team as Bojan, Afellay and Shaqiri.

Cracking signing. I think what Mourinho said is true, when you have small teams signing players in the calibre of Cabaye and Shaqiri it's what makes the PL one of the toughest (not just to win it) leagues in the world. A lot of good players added to the league this year it seems across the board.

Except for at Chelsea :(

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Ha you'd never think Charlie Adam, Jon Walters and Shawcross would be in the same team as Bojan, Afellay and Shaqiri.

Cracking signing. I think what Mourinho said is true, when you have small teams signing players in the calibre of Cabaye and Shaqiri it's what makes the PL one of the toughest (not just to win it) leagues in the world. A lot of good players added to the league this year it seems across the board.

Except for at Chelsea :(

It's a competitive league in terms of there's few 5 or 6 nil thrashings and on their day nearly any team could win, which I prefer, but there's still too big of a gulf in class for anyone to challenge the top 4/5 maybe 6 at a push consistently, while that top 6 are still gulfed in class by the best in Spain, Germany and seemingly Italy too as Juve were ahead of anything the EPL had to offer. Could just be me being a moany bastard but I think the league is a bit mediocre at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's a competitive league in terms of there's few 5 or 6 nil thrashings and on their day nearly any team could win, which I prefer, but there's still too big of a gulf in class for anyone to challenge the top 4/5 maybe 6 at a push consistently, while that top 6 are still gulfed in class by the best in Spain, Germany and seemingly Italy too as Juve were ahead of anything the EPL had to offer. Could just be me being a moany bastard but I think the league is a bit mediocre at the moment.

I think the top 6 are definitely weaker then before. Mainly because the lesser sides have gotten stronger. There is a more equal distribution of the wealth in the PL compared to any other major league. Equally you could say there is the possibility that any 1 of the current top 4 could win the league. You can't say that in any other league.

Probably a better time to be supporting a smaller club that is on the up these days.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think the top 6 are definitely weaker then before. Mainly because the lesser sides have gotten stronger. There is a more equal distribution of the wealth in the PL compared to any other major league. Equally you could say there is the possibility that any 1 of the current top 4 could win the league. You can't say that in any other league.

Probably a better time to be supporting a smaller club that is on the up these days.

Very true, good way of looking at it. I'm just sick of the top 4 sides looking so average in Europe! Bring back the days when Man U and Arsenal were making CL semis left right and centre.

Anyway I'm going to predict Shaqiri to Man City within the next two seasons. Hoping for a miracle that Bale comes back to the EPL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Must be a letdown for Shakiri. He was at Bayern this time last year then they wanted rid of him & Inter the same. Turned down Stoke already & links to Schalke, Wolfsburg and even Dortmund never materialised.
    I imagine it's like Ayew, Payet & Wijnaldum they want to move to a big side but often Chelsea, United and City don't look to those clubs to improve with all due respect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Stoke doing some great business over the past couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Stoke doing some great business over the past couple of years

Really? Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It doesn't.

They have debt, but debt means nothing.

I'm not sure about that. Manchester United have huge debts but they're the legacy of a leveraged buyout. They generate huge volumes of cash from their trading performance to service that debt but they're so well run that the whole thing is sustainable.

Real Madrid's debt is the legacy of huge levels of overspending. Despite having the highest level of turnover in World football they run at an operating loss and, unlike United, their debt is increasing massively year on year. A lot of it is short-term debt as well and so they need to have a lot of cash to meet their obligations.

Will that stop Real Madrid from spending another €60m on a player if they feel that they need to? Probably not, but that is the the problem summed up!

Basically they're skint.

Barcelona are little better - hence them not being able to pay wages one month last year (or maybe the year before).

CSF wrote: »
    Really? Who?

N'zonzi, Bojan, Van Ginkel on loan, Arnautović, Afellay, Muniesa, Butland.

All very good signings and that doesn't include the Swiss midget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think Diouf will prove himself this year too. Bad business selling n'Zonzi though, big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is Bojan any use really. He's kind of a big name given his roots at Barca, but he's always been pretty poor when I've seen him and he doesn't score a lot of goals either. This isn't Spanish youth football anymore

• Advertisement

Is Bojan any use really. He's kind of a big name given his roots at Barca, but he's always been pretty poor when I've seen him and he doesn't score a lot of goals either. This isn't Spanish youth football anymore

Bojan was very good for Stoke before getting injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bojan had just hit a fine run of form, be interesting to if the new cultural Stoke can thrive or if they just end up fouling a lot like yesterday.

Bojan had just hit a fine run of form, be interesting to if the new cultural Stoke can thrive or if they just end up fouling a lot like yesterday.

According to Whoscored.com
    Stoke - 9 fouls
    Liverpool - 16 fouls

:pac:

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    According to Whoscored.com
    Stoke - 9 fouls
    Liverpool - 16 fouls

:pac:

Ah stats be damned. Adam committed about three fouls in the same move at one point yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

N'Zonzi left in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ah stats be damned. Adam committed about three fouls in the same move at one point yesterday.

They arent fouls if the ref doesnt call them fouls. You might think they are being too physical but you arent the ref.

We won the foul count too. Nice.

Rondon to WBA is a likely deal by the looks of it.

Will that see Berahino off to Spurs I wonder?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. Manchester United have huge debts but they're the legacy of a leveraged buyout. They generate huge volumes of cash from their trading performance to service that debt but they're so well run that the whole thing is sustainable.

Real Madrid's debt is the legacy of huge levels of overspending. Despite having the highest level of turnover in World football they run at an operating loss and, unlike United, their debt is increasing massively year on year. A lot of it is short-term debt as well and so they need to have a lot of cash to meet their obligations.

Will that stop Real Madrid from spending another €60m on a player if they feel that they need to? Probably not, but that is the the problem summed up!

Basically they're skint.

Barcelona are little better - hence them not being able to pay wages one month last year (or maybe the year before).

Real Madrid's debt is the legacy of massive investment in their property holdings and infrastructure. They have a debt of over €500million, but they have income of more than their total debt and are owed almost €300million from other clubs.

They only own banks, the creditors who matter most in the case of solvency, about €110million.

People read "debt" and think it's a massive problem because they don't really understand the economics of massive companies.

Stop comparing Real Madrid to Shamrock Rovers in your head and start comparing them to Apple or Facebook. This is a company worth over a Billion euros with turnover of over half a billion per year and physical assets (players, property, infrastructure) worth hundreds of millions as well as being creditors to other businesses of more than quarter of a billion euros.

Debt isn't always this massive immediate foghorn of doom, it's often an extremely clever way of using your company's value to increase cash flow here and now for a in exchange for payouts much further down the line.

Here's an interesting, if a little old, post of why Real (and Barcelona) don't really have to worry about their debt and how sports Journalists who know nothing about economics or how businesses work get it wrong almost all the time.

http://swissramble.blogspot.se/2012/04/truth-about-debt-at-barcelona-and-real.html

Johner wrote: »
    N'Zonzi left in the summer.

He was still a very good recent signing. I am fully aware he's in Seville. They got a few years and €4million profit out of him too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement