Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Is Bojan any use really. He's kind of a big name given his roots at Barca, but he's always been pretty poor when I've seen him and he doesn't score a lot of goals either. This isn't Spanish youth football anymore

Bojan was usueles when on loan in Italy and at Ajax.

Was better before getting injured at Stoke but if you cant do it in the Eredivisie at the club winning the title, you need more than a good 6 months at Stoke to convince me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

inforfun wrote: »
    Bojan was usueles when on loan in Italy and at Ajax.

Was better before getting injured at Stoke but if you cant do it in the Eredivisie at the club winning the title, you need more than a good 6 months at Stoke to convince me.
    Wasn't Bojan played wide at Ajax? A 22 year old playing out of position would naturally struggle tbf.

Wasn't Bojan played wide at Ajax? A 22 year old playing out of position would naturally struggle tbf.

For a guy who was once considered the equivalent of Messi it shouldnt matter where he is in the team in the eredivisie as long as it is in attack.
    Of course i understand every player has his preferred position but as long as they dont put you left back as a striker, you should be able to play better than he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Aranguiz move from Porto Alegre to Leverkusen has been confirmed by their President. They had accepted two bigger offers from England (one being from Leicester), but the player refused to move to either club, as he was only interested in a move to Leverkusen (they have a very good reputation in South America due to Ze Maria, Lucio, Vidal etc.).

Very good player that will def. make an impact at Leverkusen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wonder what this stoke deal means for Adama Traore? Will they still be signing him? The other teams linked to him were Villa and Liverpool and the guy did travel to England to talk to teams so you would think he is moving somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

DubDani wrote: »
    Aranguiz move from Porto Alegre to Leverkusen has been confirmed by their President. They had accepted two bigger offers from England (one being from Leicester), but the player refused to move to either club, as he was only interested in a move to Leverkusen (they have a very good reputation in South America due to Ze Maria, Lucio, Vidal etc.).

Rare to see a player turning down more money (invariably he'd have been paid more in England) and putting career first; good showing at Leverkusen, especially in the CL if they make it, and he'll be in the shop window for an even bigger move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Joey Barton to West Ham. How does such a woefully ordinary player get so many chances at good clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Haha - here's what David Gold (West Ham chairman) said about Barton a few years ago.

David Gold

davidgold

@modgooner: @DavidGoldWHU what do you make or Barton hamman exchange? Barton is vile IMO Barton has a problem and should seek help. dg

• Advertisement

DubDani wrote: »

Probably looked at Vidal and Vargas and decided the way to go was via a proper German club in stead of mediocre English club.

Hope and expect he does well. Was great for that Universidad de Chile team and for Chile during the Copa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some excellent buisness by mid table-bottom half teams this summer in the premier league. Rondon/shaqiri/ayew/payet/wijnaldum/ogbonna/cabaye all proabably could have gone to "bigger" clubs in england and abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

N'zonzi, Bojan, Van Ginkel on loan, Arnautović, Afellay, Muniesa, Butland.

All very good signings and that doesn't include the Swiss midget.

They're ok like. No better than your average PL clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

CSF wrote: »
    They're ok like. No better than your average PL clubs.

For a club like Stoke they are the difference between relegation and a top half finish, that makes them good signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just posted this in the Everton thread, it's a sad reflection on how the club is being run. They spent more in the summer of 1988 than they have so far this summer :O

Stoke now added to the list

https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/630761735142641665

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nice to see the midtable clubs splashing the TV cash, can only improve the quality of the league. Rondon is an excellent signing, he was outstanding at Malaga and was heavily linked to Liverpool earlier in the window.

Shaqiri is an excellent player, he didn't do too badly at Bayern when he played but could just never displace Ribery or Robben which is no easy feat. Strong performances for Basel in the CL and Switzerland at the last world cup, he's a big coup for Stoke.

• Advertisement

Joey Barton to West Ham. How does such a woefully ordinary player get so many chances at good clubs?

Strange move. He's ordinary as you say.

West Ham impressed me yesterday. Do they really need Barton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Pogba spotted at Heathrow, or else an incredible doppelganger. Twitter is going mental anyway whoever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Pogba spotted at Heathrow, or else an incredible doppelganger. Twitter is going mental anyway whoever it is.

Its the image of him but wouldn't he of flown into Manchester??

Some craic if hes spotted in the stands at West Brom tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lucas replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The lower teams are really improving at the minute can see a lot of shock results to the top sides like arsenal West Ham match yesterday

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Strange move. He's ordinary as you say.

West Ham impressed me yesterday. Do they really need Barton
    Bilic doesn't appear to rate Poyet and probably doesn't want Oxford to try and play 30+ games. If Barton does sign I guess that would be the end of them trying to sign Song

For a club like Stoke they are the difference between relegation and a top half finish, that makes them good signings.

Which of those signings were the difference between relegation and a top half finish though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Its the image of him but wouldn't he of flown into Manchester??

Maybe he flew from somewhere else but Turin doesn't do direct flights to Manchester (or Heathrow for that matter)

I'm skeptical

Which of those signings were the difference between relegation and a top half finish though?

Well off the top of my head I'd imagine Diouf's goals were a major help.

All of them combined. That's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The saga of Baba Rahman is over! Augsburg and Chelsea have agreed a fee.

The saga of Baba Rahman is over! Augsburg and Chelsea have agreed a fee.

Serious profit for Augsburg. Glad they stood their ground and got a deal which was best for them.

Maybe it was one of Pogba's brothers...

gleich-drei-profifussballer-brachte-die-familie-pogba-zu-stande-waehrend-mathias-li-und-florentin-mi-fuer-guinea-im-einsatz-sind-und-damit-nicht-an-der-endrunde-teilnehmen-schlaegt-sich-ihr-bruder-750x500.jpg

Mathias is playing in Scotland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

gleich-drei-profifussballer-brachte-die-familie-pogba-zu-stande-waehrend-mathias-li-und-florentin-mi-fuer-guinea-im-einsatz-sind-und-damit-nicht-an-der-endrunde-teilnehmen-schlaegt-sich-ihr-bruder-750x500.jpg

Not sure if your being serious or not but it was clearly Paul because of the hairstyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

https://twitter.com/FNN_Official/status/630779392415940608

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Not sure if your being serious or not but it was clearly Paul because of the hairstyle.

Just looked at the pictures, does it not look like he's in departures?

Maybe he is in-transit to somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just looked at the pictures, does it not look like he's in departures?

Maybe he is in-transit to somewhere else?

Tuaght that myself, havnt a clue where or what hes doing but its 100% him.

I heard wesley sneidjers brother is also playing in scotland too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

The saga of Baba Rahman is over!

Balls. Was hoping they would take Danny Rose of our hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Baba Rahman is without doubt the greatest name in the sport right now.

For that alone I hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Aaron Lennon to Everton on a permanent deal apparently almost done.

Not too inspiring but not too rubbish either. At least it'll mean seeing less of Naismith on the wing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wonder what this stoke deal means for Adama Traore? Will they still be signing him? The other teams linked to him were Villa and Liverpool and the guy did travel to England to talk to teams so you would think he is moving somewhere.

Interesting you ask BH, AS in spain are reporting Villa have signed him, no mention of a fee though :pac:

Strongly linked to Praet at Anderlecht again too, after they said they would accept less for him (7m I believe).

Only a few days ago Sherwood said he would now be Primarily be looking at the possibility of bringing in English based players ;)

Valbuena back to France, Lyon.
    Doumbia back to Moscow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bristol City have bid £10m for Dwight Gayle. Billionaire owners are everywhere these days.

• Advertisement

Milan have confirmed they signed Alessio Romagnoli Roma.

€25mill + bonuses, big money for a 20 year old and they gave him Nestas old number, no pressure kid!

Well off the top of my head I'd imagine Diouf's goals were a major help.

11 goals is grand but it's not particularly trumping other equivalent teams striker signings either is it?

All of them combined. That's the point.

Very few of the list you mentioned played significant roles last year and you're probably aware of that

I get the impression you just dont like Stoke CSF?

Either that or he's just being a contrarian for the sake of it.

Well no I'm the only person making actual points here.

A point was made about how many great signings Stoke have made of late, relative to other teams and when I've asked which ones I got mostly a bunch of squad players who don't even start that often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A point was made about how many great signings Stoke have made of late, relative to other teams and when I've asked which ones I got mostly a bunch of squad players who don't even start that often.

Tbh they will finish maybe 7th or 8th at best but when in Europe won't take it seriously despite it being undoubtedly their level (West Ham). Won't get relegated as there are often teams every season who do almost every thing wrong but still survive. (Last season Newcastle lost basically every game the last 3 months)

Butland is their starting GK this season and is very highly rated in England.

Arnautović played 29 games and started in 21 of them.

Afellay just signed for small money after a few bad years at Barcelona due to injuries.

Van Ginkel was signed on lona after being extremely impressive at Milan in the second half of last season after missing the first half of the season due to a serious injury, playing every minute of Milan's final 12 games of the season.

N'Zonzi played every minute of every game in the premier league last year.

Muniesa played every game he was available for.

And I somehow left him out of my list but Diouf socred 11 goals in 34 games, many of them from the right wing, for a team who only scored 48 goals in total!

None of them were "squad players". all of them who were there last season played a big part in a top half finish.

Afellay and Van Ginkel will add a lot to their midfield, as will Shaqiri.

Oh, and they signed Glen Johnson who will add experience and an attacking outlet to their back four.

For a club like stoke, with no history of European football, from an unfashionable backwater of England, these are very good signings that show they have ambitions to reach Europe and a manager who can convince players to come to them.

It wasn't long ago that Kenwyne Jones was their big summer signing and the club was standard barer of root-one long ball football.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

klose wrote: »
    I heard wesley sneidjers brother is also playing in scotland too

Would that be Rodney Sneijder? :D

They have another brother too, Jeffrey Sneijder, who is a retired footballer.

Butland is their starting GK this season and is very highly rated in England.

Arnautović played 29 games and started in 21 of them.

Afellay just signed for small money after a few bad years at Barcelona due to injuries.

Van Ginkel was signed on lona after being extremely impressive at Milan in the second half of last season after missing the first half of the season due to a serious injury, playing every minute of Milan's final 12 games of the season.

N'Zonzi played every minute of every game in the premier league last year.

Muniesa played every game he was available for.

And I somehow left him out of my list but Diouf socred 11 goals in 34 games, many of them from the right wing, for a team who only scored 48 goals in total!

None of them were "squad players". all of them who were there last season played a big part in a top half finish.

Afellay and Van Ginkel will add a lot to their midfield, as will Shaqiri.

Oh, and they signed Glen Johnson who will add experience and an attacking outlet to their back four.

For a club like stoke, with no history of European football, from an unfashionable backwater of England, these are very good signings that show they have ambitions to reach Europe and a manager who can convince players to come to them.

It wasn't long ago that Kenwyne Jones was their big summer signing and the club was standard barer of root-one long ball football.
    That list though. It's a list of players no better than the players being signed by the similar stature clubs. Newcastle, Sunderland, Palace, West Brom, Swansea. Have all signed players of that level or better. Even Villa this summer have joined the craze.

Stoke last year were still strongest due to the stable, sometimes unspectacular Pulis signings. Begovic, Shawcross, Wilson, Adam, Walters, Cameron, Crouch. Not amazing players, but Hughes did a good job of moulding them into a team last season. Based on what I saw on Sunday I wouldn't bank on that being repeated. This year it'll be someone else to overachieve, probably someone else next year.

Rumours pedro has asked to leave barca and has been left out of the super cup starting eleven.

• Advertisement
Advertisement