Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

CSF wrote: »
    That list though. It's a list of players no better than the players being signed by the similar stature clubs. Newcastle, Sunderland, Palace, West Brom, Swansea. Have all signed players of that level or better. Even Villa this summer have joined the craze.

Stoke last year were still strongest due to the stable, sometimes unspectacular Pulis signings. Begovic, Shawcross, Wilson, Adam, Walters, Cameron, Crouch. Not amazing players, but Hughes did a good job of moulding them into a team last season. Based on what I saw on Sunday I wouldn't bank on that being repeated. This year it'll be someone else to overachieve, probably someone else next year.
    I got the impression that you believe that only players who start are worthwhile (your whole point was that the signings didnt start) otherwise mere squad players; off the players you quoted as being "strongest" Adam started only 15 & Crouch 17. You are flip flopping your own logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

A team looking to get to the next level doesn't sell there best player from the season before N''zonzi went for half nothing to Sevilla can't believe none of the top 6 were after him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

A team looking to get to the next level doesn't sell there best player from the season before N''zonzi went for half nothing to Sevilla can't believe none of the top 6 were after him

The player wanted to leave, there wasn't much left on his contract and nobody was bidding any higher for him.

And Hughes plans to play Geoff Cameron ad DM this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

A team looking to get to the next level doesn't sell there best player from the season before

They may not want to but inevitably many do. There's a hirearchy of clubs, and once a bigger/wealthier/more attractive club want your player, realistically aside from delay the inevitable there's little you can do.

United/DeGea are a good example. The player wants out, and most likely will get his wish. That doesn't mean United aren't aiming for the next level. Similarly Liverpool with Sterling or Van Dijk with Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I got the impression that you believe that only players who start are worthwhile (your whole point was that the signings didnt start) otherwise mere squad players; off the players you quoted as being "strongest" Adam started only 15 & Crouch 17. You are flip flopping your own logic.
    Hold up a second now, if people were quoting Adam and Crouch as being indicative of Stoke's great transfer policy I'd be saying the exact same thing. Shaqiri is the first really impressive player Stoke have signed since Pulis left.

You look at players other Premier League clubs have signed this summer. Ayew, Richards, Gestede, Veretout, Amavi, Gueye for Villa. Cabaye, Bamford, Sako for Crystal Palace. Leicester have signed Okazaki, Fuchs and Kanté. Newcastle have brought in Mbemba, Wijnaldum and Mitrovic. Sunderland have brought in Lens, M'Vila, Matthews and Kaboul. Swansea have brought in Ayew eile, Tabanou and Eder. West Brom have brought in Rondon, Lambert, McClean, Chester and Gnabry. West Ham have brought in Payet, Obiang and Ogbonna.

Stoke's transfer policy is similar enough to the above really. Not notable. Shaqiri is a very good signing. Affelay less so. Van Ginkel and Joselu have alot to prove but we'll see. Have previous years been more fruitful? I don't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think alot of the clubs mentioned above have been shopping at the middle shelf in europe as opposed to them usually shopping at the lower to middle shelf in England no massive difference to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I think alot of the clubs mentioned above have been shopping at the middle shelf in europe as opposed to them usually shopping at the lower to middle shelf in England no massive difference to be honest

This is exactly it. The names are more exotic but the talent isn't much better.

Shaqiri has a lot to prove. His record at Bayern was not great considering he had the luxury of starting against weaker teams, and coming off the bench fresh against tired defenders in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Oat23 wrote: »
    This is exactly it. The names are more exotic but the talent isn't much better.

Shaqiri has a lot to prove. His record at Bayern was not great considering he had the luxury of starting against weaker teams, and coming off the bench fresh against tired defenders in others.

I dunno, big difference between guys like Payet, Shaqiri etc in comparison to someone like Wickham or Steven Fletcher. Similar money but big talent difference

titan18 wrote: »
    I dunno, big difference between guys like Payet, Shaqiri etc in comparison to someone like Wickham or Steven Fletcher. Similar money but big talent difference
    Agreed. Payet, Shaqiri, Amavi and Wijnaldum are absolutely the upper bracket of the list I quoted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

titan18 wrote: »

Of course some players are better, but the majority aren't. The English players don't need time to adjust to a new league either.

I don't have any stats to back up what brianregan said, but it sure looks like the middle of the pack clubs/relegation candidates are shopping in Europe more this season compared to before because they have more money now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Agreed. Payet, Shaqiri, Amavi and Wijnaldum are absolutely the upper bracket of the list I quoted though.

Wickham and Fletcher are probably the upper bracket of British players who move though, which says a lot (barring guys like Sterling). A lot don't work out but same is true for English players.

Much better value in signing players outside the PL

Romeu to join Southampton later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/631464669652258816

Tottenham agree £12m deal for Lyon striker Clinton Njie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/631464669652258816

Tottenham agree £12m deal for Lyon striker Clinton Njie

Sorry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

My first thought as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Jesus, City offering De Bruyne €320,000 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Lukker- wrote: »

Where you see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nothing surprising about that figure. They've probably 3 or 4 players on more already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Liam O wrote: »
    Nothing surprising about that figure. They've probably 3 or 4 players on more already.

lol - name the three or four. United have/had highest wage bill and they don't have three or four (probably not one) on that sort of wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

General consensus is that only Rooney is on that sort of money. City have three players on 200k+ per week according to the media with Yaya Toure being the top earner followed by Aguero and then Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Can only provide a link or screenshot of this offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

If I don't see a wage slip, I don't believe anything specific. The papers haven't had a clue on wages for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rwbug wrote: »
    lol - name the three or four. United have/had highest wage bill and they don't have three or four (probably not one) on that sort of wage.

Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Toure and even Sterling reportedly get £200,000 a week with their latest contracts.

JPA wrote: »
    Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Toure and even Sterling reportedly get £200,000 a week with their latest contracts.

And those figures are very believable. But to say City have three or four players on more than £320,000 a week is ridiculous. Also remember that City (and I imagine most clubs) have very incentivised wage structure. They won't be walking home with £200,000 in their pockets every week unless they achieve on the pitch.

I'd imagine Silva and Aguero would be close to Yaya's reported £250k+ a week.

Also I wouldn't imagine there's anyone at United on over £200k other than Rooney and I'd imagine his image rights would be multiples of those 3 put together.

• Advertisement

And those figures are very believable. But to say City have three or four players on more than £320,000 a week is ridiculous. Also remember that City (and I imagine most clubs) have very incentivised wage structure. They won't be walking home with £200,000 in their pockets every week unless they achieve on the pitch.

Who said they have 3 or 4 players on £320k a week?

Who said they have 3 or 4 players on £320k a week?

You did - unless I somehow misunderstood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The post says €320,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You should read the OP again.
    No one said a player was on £320K per week.

oh ugh - euro and pounds - my bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Why do people get so flustered about wages? It's pure guess work on the part of the media and people lap it up as gospel.

Do you care that much? It's not your money.

Why do we care at all? - it is a silly sport that is all honesty meaningless - yet it takes over our lives at times.

I support Man City and our owner will probably make more money today than I will this year. It really makes no difference to me personally if he pays £250,000 a week or £350,000 a week for a player. But I will still want to discuss it and how it affects my club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Why do we care at all? - it is a silly sport that is all honesty meaningless - yet it takes over our lives at times.

I support Man City and our owner will probably make more money today in the next 15 minutes than I will this year. It really makes no difference to me personally if he pays £250,000 a week or £350,000 a week for a player. But I will still want to discuss it and how it affects my club.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I'd imagine Silva and Aguero would be close to Yaya's reported £250k+ a week.

Also I wouldn't imagine there's anyone at United on over £200k other than Rooney and I'd imagine his image rights would be multiples of those 3 put together.

Imagine being the key word here.

Man united had the highest wage bill in the premier league last year, what you are saying doesnt add up.

Remember as someone else pointed out city redid most there contracts so there all incentivized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Sure I heard Bastian Schweiny is on €320,000.01 a week, De Bruyne would be on sooooo much less...pffft buying titles as usual

Am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Where you see that

Sport Witness twitter, it's probably on their site. Obviously there is no way of knowing if it's true or not but I find Sport Witness to be an accumulation of the most reliable sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oriol Romeu: Southampton sign Chelsea midfielder for £5m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33890418

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That_Guy wrote: »
    Why do people get so flustered about wages? It's pure guess work on the part of the media and people lap it up as gospel.

Do you care that much? It's not your money.

But won't someone thing of da nurses???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oriol Romeu: Southampton sign Chelsea midfielder for £5m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33890418

This has potential to be one of the signings of the season. Himself and Wanyama could be a really interesting dynamic in their midfield.

That_Guy wrote: »
    This has potential to be one of the signings of the season. Himself and Wanyama could be a really interesting dynamic in their midfield.

Jordy Clasie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Reports that Soldado has left Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Reports that Soldado has left Spurs.

He never really arrived at Spurs in the first place! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He never really arrived at Spurs in the first place! :cool:

goaldado.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mason holgate has signed for Everton from Barnsley..hopefully be as good as stones

According to Sky Villa are after Fonte. That would be a bizzare step backwards for him.

According to Sky Villa are after Fonte. That would be a bizzare step backwards for him.

Not if Van Dijk is signed for Southampton and he no longer is a guaranteed starter. Villa absolutely have the potential to reach Southampton levels in the short-term and have spent accordingly to do so, so it would make sense if that was the case.

Not if Van Dijk is signed for Southampton and he no longer is a guaranteed starter. Villa absolutely have the potential to reach Southampton levels in the short-term and have spent accordingly to do so, so it would make sense if that was the case.
    Fonte would surely be partner van Dijk. Yoshida back to the bench with Caulker back up since Gardos is crocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Mason holgate has signed for Everton from Barnsley..hopefully be as good as stones

He's rated much higher than Stones. He was on trial at United but he wasn't signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Seems like Fonte has been the main organizer in that defence over the past few years. It was thought to be Lovren but that was quickly dispelled when their defence improved after he left.

If he wants to leave for a major pay rise fair enough, but you'd think Southampton would fight tooth and nail to keep him.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    Seems like Fonte has been the main organizer in that defence over the past few years. It was thought to be Lovren but that was quickly dispelled when their defence improved after he left.

If he wants to leave for a major pay rise fair enough, but you'd think Southampton would fight tooth and nail to keep him.

I can inagine the only reason he would come to Villa from Southampton would be if he was told he wasn't number 1 anymore

Advertisement