Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ricero wrote: »
    Ed Woodward seems starting to look like an amateur when dealing with the big clubs

Yeah, Mata, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger was so easy to pull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Being honest and as a utd supporter I would say they prob were in so far as those 3 were not exactly wanted hugely by their clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Mata wasn't in Mourinho's plans. Di Maria was practically ousted and given what has transpired, looks like he never really wanted United. And Schweinsteiger was allowed to leave and hadn't been playing as much recently. Was instantly replaced with Vidal. The 3 examples you picked were probably the easiest to get done. And in each case except maybe Bastain. United overpaid. If i had a bottomless barrel of cash i'd get deals done by throwing money over the odds at clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

ricero wrote: »
    Ed Woodward seems to be starting to look like an amateur when dealing with the big clubs

What information do you have to back that up?

Did it ever cross your mind that Pedro would rather join Chelsea than United?

racso1975 wrote: »
    Being honest and as a utd supporter I would say they prob were in so far as those 3 were not exactly wanted hugely by their clubs
    Mata wasn't in Mourinho's plans. Di Maria was practically ousted and given what has transpired, looks like he never really wanted United. And Schweinsteiger was allowed to leave and hadn't been playing as much recently. Was instantly replaced with Vidal. The 3 examples you picked were probably the easiest to get done. And in each case except maybe Bastain. United overpaid. If i had a bottomless barrel of cash i'd get deals done by throwing money over the odds at clubs.

Same case with Pedro. Had Woodward completed, you guys would have said Pedro wanted out so it was easy to deal.

How many transfers happen between big clubs?

How many players have Barca, Bayern, Chelsea, City, Arsenal signed from big clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Same case with Pedro. Had Woodward completed, you guys would have said Pedro wanted out so it was easy to deal.

How many players have Barca, Bayern, Chelsea, City, Arsenal signed from big clubs?

I don't agree with the statement that he is an amateur but I also don't agree that those 3 you involved a phenomenal amount of work or displayed a large amount of his skill set.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Bayern signed Vidal. City got Sterling. Arsenal got Cech. Barca signed Turan. Chelsea might sign Pedro. It happens but United should learn to pick their fights. Stuff like Ramos they got dragged along too long tbh

racso1975 wrote: »
    I don't agree with the statement that he is an amateur but I also don't agree that those 3 you involved a phenomenal amount of work or displayed a large amount of his skill set.

What's the skill set you are expecting?

Like I said, transfers between big clubs rarely happen. Not sure why people use that as a stick to beat Woodward.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Bayern signed Vidal. City got Sterling. Arsenal got Cech. Barca signed Turan. Chelsea might sign Pedro. It happens but United should learn to pick their fights. Stuff like Ramos they got dragged along too long tbh

ManUtd signed Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Mata in last 2 seasons. Whatever excuses you can give to these 3 transfers can be given to all the names you mentioned.

Again, that's 1 players each for 1 club. Not a big amount of movement.

• Advertisement

ManUtd signed Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Mata in last 2 seasons. Whatever excuses you can give to these 3 transfers can be given to all the names you mentioned.

Again, that's 1 players each for 1 club. Not a big amount of movement.

That is just this summer alone them clubs in most cases close out the deals they need.
    United tend to get dragged along in a few cases since Fabregas was unsuccessfully wooed two years ago. (Arsenal probably less so)

That is just this summer alone them clubs in most cases close out the deals they need.
    United tend to get dragged along in a few cases since Fabregas was unsuccessfully wooed two years ago. (Arsenal probably less so)

All clubs involve in long sagas. It's just what you read most, you remember and think it's only with United.

Chelsea - Stones, Baba.
    City - Sterling (saga was started long back), BDB, Otamendi
    Arsenal are not involved in any transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

To be fair the United "long" sagas take the p*ss, whether it's media hype or not. Ramos, Vidal, Hummels, Gundogan etc etc. It's alarming from a United perspective that the least reported links tend to get actually completed. Every day for the last two summer's there's a new player linked with United and some guy in the United thread putting him into a possible team...Griezmann seems to be the latest guy linked even though he's signed a revised contract.

I have to laugh at Otamendi being a "long saga" for City. There were tap all reports about him only a week ago.

To be fair the United "long" sagas take the p*ss, whether it's media hype or not. Ramos, Vidal, Hummels, Gundogan etc etc. It's alarming from a United perspective that the least reported links tend to get actually completed. Every day for the last two summer's there's a new player linked with United and some guy in the United thread putting him into a possible team...Griezmann seems to be the latest guy linked even though he's signed a revised contract.

I have to laugh at Otamendi being a "long saga" for City. There were tap all reports about him only a week ago.

Quick google search, Otamendi linked with ManCity on June 23rd.
    http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/mercado-de-fichajes/manchester-city-toma-ventaja-por-otamendi-4298031

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Spanish article, jeesus. That could be the equivalent of the mirror for God's sake.

Anyway sure if you looked hard enough you could find Pele being linked to Exeter City too. City only emerged as a target for him in the last week, two tops.

It didn't sound to me that Pedro wanted to leave anyway.

London holds more appeal than the North West obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah London its like its a foreign country - sun, sand, sangria!

Spanish article, jeesus. That could be the equivalent of the mirror for God's sake.

Anyway sure if you looked hard enough you could find Pele being linked to Exeter City too. City only emerged as a target for him in the last week, two tops.

Yeah, Spanish paper and they are well ahead of all English paper when it comes transfers involving Spanish clubs.

meh, pointless argument anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ah London its like its a foreign country - sun, sand, sangria!
    London-on-Thames is surely more attractive than Manchester-on-Mersey:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Inler to Leicester is a really good signing.

Johner wrote: »
    Inler to Leicester is a really good signing.

He's been rubbish the last 18 months tbh still Cambiasso was past it & still did well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chelsea are the kings of the transfer gazump.

Surest thing now is United will surely spend a bomb on someone to save face. 50M bid for John Stones incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Ed Woodward is a good negotiator. Gets Ramos a new contract, Otamendi a move to City and flies to Barcelona to get Pedro to sign for Chelsea.

Makes Ian Ayre look like an amateur, though to fair to him this summer bar Depay (!) Liverpool seem to have got the players they were actually after with minimum fuss.

Makes Ian Ayre look like an amateur, though to fair to him this summer bar Depay (!) Liverpool seem to have got the players they were actually after with minimum fuss.

It's not surprising considering the targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

United linked with Sadio Mané now. You'll have Liverpool fans and whoever slag United because he doesn't have the same sort of name as Pedro but I think that would be a fantastic signing.

:rolleyes:

giphy.gif
    CSF wrote: »
    United linked with Sadio Mané now. You'll have Liverpool fans and whoever slag United because he doesn't have the same sort of name as Pedro but I think that would be a fantastic signing.

Liverpool only target Outstanding signings under Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Isnt it better to sound out the realistic targets, pursue them and get them signed up rather than pissing about most of the summer with unrealistic targets and ending up over spending or missing targets altogether?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Isnt it better to sound out the realistic targets, pursue them and get them signed up rather than pissing about most of the summer with unrealistic targets and ending up over spending or missing targets altogether?

No. If you don't try you will always end up signing smaller players. Also there weren't any unrealistic targets that we tried. Just at times players chooses different options.

Only unrealistic target rumor is Muller but anyone worth their salt would just laugh at those stories than believe them.

giphy.gif

That's the truth. Buying from Burnley, Championship is easier than dealing and competing with likes of City and Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Are we all going to pretend that we've been watching Sadio Mané for a while now? I doubt many here have done more than go straight to Google to find out something about the lad.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »

Yeah, obviously he is not as good as Pedro but you need players who are quick and also physically strong. He would be decent addition to the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think this thread has officially hit rock bottom. Nothing but a d1ck waving contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

No. If you don't try you will always end up signing smaller players. Also there weren't any unrealistic targets that we tried. Just at times players chooses different options.

Or in United's case you end up signing nobody.

Say what you will about our signings this summer, but in the context of where we are and what we needed, Ian Ayre has done very well this summer. Woodward hasn't had any problems splashing the cash on players, but United still have only 1 top Striker, who's in terrible form at the moment, and a CB pairing which includes a player who's natural role is LB or DM.

Schweinsteiger, Depay, Schneiderlin and Darmian are all good signings, but anyone with a football brain would know that CB was a big problem for United last season which they failed to address because they were too busy chasing players like Ramos and Otamendi who never came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I actually think Manewould be a better signing than Pedro. Of course Pedro has a better pedigree but I was very impressed with Mane last season I would have liked him at Liverpool instead of Lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian and Memphis say hello

Say what you will about our signings this summer, but in the context of where we are and what we needed, Ian Ayre has done very well this summer. Woodward hasn't had any problems splashing the cash on players, but United still have only 1 top Striker, who's in terrible form at the moment, and a CB pairing which includes a player who's natural role is LB or DM.

Schweinsteiger, Depay, Schneiderlin and Darmian are all good signings, but anyone with a football brain would know that CB was a big problem for United last season which they failed to address because they were too busy chasing players like Ramos and Otamendi who never came.

Yeah end up signing nobody.

I haven't said a word about Liverpool signing quality players. It's just people are very defensive whenever anyone talks about other team's transfers. I said it's easy to deal with Burnley and Championship teams and there is nothing wrong with that.

There are better ways to address CB issue than just signings CBs for the sake of it. Having proper structure and defensive mid can solve lot of issues. Check how Atletico improved their defense without signing anyone when Simeone took charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RayCun wrote: »

You forgot Romero.

Get out with your facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I wonder if Pedro picked Chelsea because of: 1. London factor 2. Fabrégas telling him it's great and Mourinho is great 3. De Geá telling him Manchester is a dump where it rains every day 4. Money.

Probably all of the above.

• Advertisement

Yeah end up signing nobody.

Well what CB or ST/LW have you signed (aside from Depay)? United missed out on Otamendi and Pedro, just like we did with Depay, but we got Firmino instead. Chasing Ramos, Muller, Pedro, Otamendi etc. has been United's biggest downfall this summer.
    I said it's easy to deal with Burnley and Championship teams and there is nothing wrong with that.

There are better ways to address CB issue than just signings CBs for the sake of it. Having proper structure and defensive mid can solve lot of issues. Check how Atletico improved their defense without signing anyone when Simeone took charge.

Evidently not when Ings' transfer has gone to a tribunal.

Are you saying that Smalling, Jones or Evans are cut out to be top class CB's ala Vidic and Rio?

I wonder if Pedro picked Chelsea because of: 1. London factor 2. Fabrégas telling him it's great and Mourinho is great 3. De Geá telling him Manchester is a dump where it rains every day 4. Money.

Probably all of the above.

He would've gotten obscene wages in Manchester. Chelsea may have bags of cash, but their wage structure isn't as crazy as City's or United's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

United missed out on Otamendi ?

No they didn't.

Its been widely reported that he was never a target....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well what CB or ST/LW have you signed (aside from Depay)? United missed out on Otamendi and Pedro, just like we did with Depay, but we got Firmino instead. Chasing Ramos, Muller, Pedro, Otamendi etc. has been United's biggest downfall this summer.

Are you saying that Smalling, Jones or Evans are cut out to be top class CB's ala Vidic and Rio?

United said at least a month ago that they weren't interested in Otamendi. The reporting has been driven by the player/his agent.
    United already have a great defensive record. There was no pressing need for a CB.

Utd will make a huge stupid offer for Kane, you watch. Spurs will ponder it and say yes for about 40m and then get Berahino for 25m

Are we all going to pretend that we've been watching Sadio Mané for a while now? I doubt many here have done more than go straight to Google to find out something about the lad.
    What? He was one of the best players at a team that were competing for top 4 for most of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If United had paid the money Pedro would be a United player, they didn't for whatever reason.

Remains to be seen if it's a good move or not

Mane is far less experienced but is quicker than Pedro something that was reported Van Gaal was worried about with Pedro as he seems to be particularly anal with player attributes sometimes within his "philosophy"

CMnoB67WwAAL1JW.png:large

CMnoB7EWEAAZKpa.png:large

Depay is a LW but we have to ignore him? Why's that?

Chasing Pedro, Otamendi was biggest downfall? lol. They were more than gettable players. In transfer market everything changes very quickly. Thank god my club doesn't share the same ambition.

Re CB, I have already said that. You can keep on signing CBs and that won't make any difference as long as the team is not organized and plays without DM. At least in 3 games defense has proved more than good enough.

There isn't a CB pairing in the league that is as good as Rio and Vida was. So no point comparing to them and there aren't any CBs available who are as good as them.

Edit: Just because media say United defense is not good doesn't make it true. We had 4th best defensive record IIRC and conceded only 5 more goals than best defense. And since City game we had the best defensive record. (why that date? I don't know. That's what Sky posted).

Lads, yiz know this doesn't always have to be a Liverpool/Man United fan pissing competition right?

CMnoB67WwAAL1JW.png:large

CMnoB7EWEAAZKpa.png:large

This used to be a good thread before plebs started coming in with their agendas

• Advertisement
Advertisement