Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2015 Transfer Window General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Depay is a LW but we have to ignore him? Why's that?

Chasing Pedro, Otamendi was biggest downfall? lol. They were more than gettable players. In transfer market everything changes very quickly. Thank god my club doesn't share the same ambition.

Re CB, I have already said that. You can keep on signing CBs and that won't make any difference as long as the team is not organized and plays without DM. At least in 3 games defense has proved more than good enough.

There isn't a CB pairing in the league that is as good as Rio and Vida was. So no point comparing to them and there aren't any CBs available who are as good as them.

Because it's clear that United still believed that a player like Pedro was needed. Depay is a good signing, but it's clear United wanted both.

If they were 'gettable' then why is one in London and the other in the blue half of Manchester? And what about Ramos or Gundogan, were they 'gettable' aswell?

3 games is nothing. We've the same record as United so far this season, but I still don't rate our CB's or GK that highly.

In relative terms, there are plenty of top CB's around at the moment, and Otamendi was one of them; he was in the La Liga XI afaik. Jones, Smalling and Evans have done very little in their careers to suggest they are worthy of starting for a 'title chasing' side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

CSF wrote: »
    Lads, yiz know this doesn't always have to be a Liverpool/Man United fan pissing competition right?

:rolleyes:

You always start this just because ManUtd and Liverpool fan argue with each other. It wasn't even ManUtd vs Liverpool, it was just ManUtd fan justifying transfers and their strategy.

Anyways go on make "that guy" comment when you are always that guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You always start this just because ManUtd and Liverpool fan argue with each other. It wasn't even ManUtd vs Liverpool, it was just ManUtd fan justifying transfers and their strategy.

I apologise for not wanting to read the summer long saga of 'hahaha he didn't join you you're going to be sh*t this year' 'no we never wanted him anyway' 'hahaha you signed a player from the championship' 'yeah well you'll be watching eastenders while the champions league football is on hahaha'

For the rest of the footballing world these childish debates are the Internet equivalent of someone pinching the chubby bit at the back of your arm.

Pedro confirmed yet?

Paraded on a bus maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given the DoF figure would have a list of targets for a given position I wonder where Mane
    was on it.

CSF wrote: »
    I apologise for not wanting to read the summer long saga of 'hahaha he didn't join you you're going to be sh*t this year' 'no we never wanted him anyway' 'hahaha you signed a player from the championship' 'yeah well you'll be watching eastenders while the champions league football is on hahaha'

For the rest of the footballing world these childish debates are the Internet equivalent of someone pinching the chubby bit at the back of your arm.

Except it never happened and you just made smart arse comments which are worse than whatever Liverpool ManUtd fans argue.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Pedro confirmed yet?

Paraded on a bus maybe?

Well it won't be this bus anyway..

bus(3).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

CMnoB67WwAAL1JW.png:large

CMnoB7EWEAAZKpa.png:large

lol

pathetic

Except it never happened and you just made smart arse comments which are worse than whatever Liverpool ManUtd fans argue.

Ok *pats head*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Maybe you have people on ignore but it's pretty obvious that this thread is a sinking ship. The usual gang have arrived for the 'lolz'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

When do the schools re-open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Summer follows Spring. There'd be no 'smartarse' comments if this usual thing didn't have it's almost weekly outing now.

Wolves have said Afobe staying with them.
    Villa linked to Alvaro Dominguez of Monchengladbch.

Gavlor wrote: »

These are the posts I was talking about. Adds nothing and these are the same people who complain about thread going off topic or about arguments.

There are 2 or 3 people who post nothing but nonsense posts from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

9768040884d041abaf166aa12a8a171a.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Gavlor wrote: »

Not soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Are we all going to pretend that we've been watching Sadio Mané for a while now? I doubt many here have done more than go straight to Google to find out something about the lad.

I guess you just dont watch the EPL then? Bizzare attempt at humour/trying to get a rise.

inforfun wrote: »
    9768040884d041abaf166aa12a8a171a.gif

Eeww the black and white background looks so... bleh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ohreally.jpg?w=634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can see Pedro looking ordinary outside of Barca, looks past his peak already too.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Can see Pedro looking ordinary outside of Barca, looks past his peak already too.

IMO he will be a great option for Chelsea. His off the ball movement is excellent and Fabregas can pick him all day long.

Only question is who plays on the wings and who plays behind the striker as Willian is key player for Chelsea.

Done deal.

Florian Thauvin arrives at Newcastle for a reported £12m deal. Not exactly what we badly need but is certainly an upgrade on the quite frankly, useless Yoan Gouffran.

Welcome to the mad house.

CMymqgTWsAALVXo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

That_Guy wrote: »
    Done deal.

Florian Thauvin arrives at Newcastle for a reported £12m deal. Not exactly what we badly need but is certainly an upgrade on the quite frankly, useless Yoan Gouffran.

Welcome to the mad house.

CMymqgTWsAALVXo.jpg

Promising signing, Is Cabella going to be loaned out the other way?

They badly need defensive minded recruits now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Yep cabella gone on loan for the season

Yeah pal, Cabella gone the other way. To be honest, it's no great loss. He was muck for us last season. Full of step-overs and very little else. Ok, it was a bad season with nobody performing well but when we signed him to be our creative hope, we got nothing in return.

He'll certainly go next window.

I don't know anything about him other than some articles claiming he's promising. Others claiming that he has an attitude problem.

I'll wait and see.

As for defensive players. We've been saying this for years. Williamson and Steven Taylor are simply not good enough anymore particularly the former.

Coloccini is past his best and should be nowhere near the club given how he's pretty much held the club at ransom.

I don't think we've had a bad transfer window but if we're left bare at the back, I fear for us and will be a big test of McClaren's coaching skills.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

That_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah pal, Cabella gone the other way. To be honest, it's no great loss. He was muck for us last season. Full of step-overs and very little else. Ok, it was a bad season with nobody performing well but when we signed him to be our creative hope, we got nothing in return.

He'll certainly go next window.

I don't know anything about him other than some articles claiming he's promising. Others claiming that he has an attitude problem.

I'll wait and see.

As for defensive players. We've been saying this for years. Williamson and Steven Taylor are simply not good enough anymore particularly the former.

Coloccini is past his best and should be nowhere near the club given how he's pretty much held the club at ransom.

I don't think we've had a bad transfer window but if we're left bare at the back, I fear for us and will be a big test of McClaren's coaching skills.

Any chance of Mclaren signing Richard Keogh from Derby? Or is that just me hoping that we'll get another Irish centre back playing in the Premier League?! :pac:

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    Any chance of Mclaren signing Richard Keogh from Derby? Or is that just me hoping that we'll get another Irish centre back playing in the Premier League?! :pac:

I hope not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Surprised Newcastle haven't put more focus on the defensive side of the pitch but they have made some cracking signings this summer. Must be nice to have ambition.

Paully D wrote: »
    Surprised Newcastle haven't put more focus on the defensive side of the pitch but they have made some cracking signings this summer. Must be nice to have ambition.

Ambition on paper sure but keeping with the same defence that leaked tons of goals last season is a dangerous move in my opinion.

Everybody can see how poor we are at the back and nothing has been done to rectify that.

I'm amazed that the club have gone out and spent 50m this window but we're glaringly lightweight at the back and have been for many many years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If Newcastle can get in two good defensive players they will have the bones of a good side.Without improvement at the back its gonna be a long hard season for them,no matter the good attacking players they have signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Utd will make a huge stupid offer for Kane, you watch. Spurs will ponder it and say yes for about 40m and then get Berahino for 25m

And still only be left with 1 striker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Are we all going to pretend that we've been watching Sadio Mané for a while now? I doubt many here have done more than go straight to Google to find out something about the lad.

What? He plays for Southampton. The way you're going on you'd swear he was some unknown from the Ukrainian League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ive seen a lot of place people saying Pedro is in decline and the reasoning given that hes lost his place in the Barca team last year, hes back up to 3 of the top 10 players in the world, how are people missing this, would have been a great signing for United and Chelsea have got a bargain at what they payed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ive seen a lot of place people saying Pedro is in decline and the reasoning given that hes lost his place in the Barca team last year, hes back up to 3 of the top 10 players in the world, how are people missing this, would have been a great signing for United and Chelsea have got a bargain at what they payed.

He's a good footballer but doesn't have that much pace for a winger and at 28 that's only going to get worse, I'd imagine he'll be pretty underwhelming, though not as bad as a complete failure that some are predicting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

He's a good footballer but doesn't have that much pace for a winger and at 28 that's only going to get worse, I'd imagine he'll be pretty underwhelming, though not as bad as a complete failure that some are predicting.

Never really saw him as a speedy winger, more the type who has a great football brain sort of player, who mata would have and fabergas will really enjoy playing with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

astonaidan wrote: »
    Never really saw him as a speedy winger, more the type who has a great football brain sort of player, who mata would have and fabergas will really enjoy playing with

I don't think he ever relied on pace per se, but it never does any harm to have it. You might be right though.

And still only be left with 1 striker

We already have 2 strikers in the squad. Rooney and Hernandez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Helen Keller would be better up front than Rooney at the moment. Didn't realize Pedro was 28, still a very clever player who would have done very well at United in my opinion. Interesting to see how he will fit in at Chelsea.

Doff wrote: »
    Helen Keller would be better up front than Rooney at the moment. .

OK..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jonathan de Guzman off to Sunderland, according to Sky Italia. Loan with a £3.5m obligation to buy at the end.

Reports of Marseille interest too so it's difficult to see it happening unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

That would be a great signing for Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Giggsy11 wrote:

Was talking about spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Helen Keller would be better up front than Rooney at the moment.

No she wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Helen Keller would be better up front than Rooney at the moment.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    No she wouldn't.

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee; Greek: ὑπερβολή, hyperbolē, lit. "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's official,Pedro has joined Chelsea,

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/634334256710467585

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bids for Mane and Wanyama, Southampton could probably pocket £50m (another huge profit) but they would be foolish to sell. They got away with it last season and arguably improved but they have lost some key defensive players this summer in Clyne, Schneiderlin and Toby Aldweireld (a loan I know but they did try to buy him).

They have a very good manager but there's only so much chopping and changing his ability can cope with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

pedro is a great signing for chelsea,he's only 'in decline' because he didnt sign for utd as expected,better than willian and curdrado for sure. would have loved him in a red shirt at anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

pedro is a great signing for chelsea,he's only 'in decline' because he didnt sign for utd as expected,better than willian and curdrado for sure. would have loved him in a red shirt at anfield.

Who's said he's in decline?

Willian is heavily underrated. Much more suited to Mourinho's style too. But it doesn't have to be an either/or in any case. Both players have a non-starring role to play in the Chelsea squad. Chelsea's primary strengths last season was probably the supporting cast (maybe I'm going too far with my movie comparisons here) in any case.

I don't see Pedro being able to make the same impact as a Hazard, Suarez, Aguero, Sanchez, but Chelsea have Hazard to be the main man anyway. Pedro will do a good job in easing the goal burden on Hazard and Costa which is something Willian doesn't really provide himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I did tbf, Arsenal fan though.

Advertisement